“Amazing Blue Water”

Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing Blue Water”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

From the moment we arrived to Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica, we felt like we were treated like royalty. We were served delicious rum punch by Maestro as soon as we walked into the resort, then Oreville gave us a tour. That night we went to the pub and were served champagne by Menka who made us feel so relaxed and kept reminding us that we were on vacation and took our first picture with our champagne in hand. He continued to make sure we had enough to drink and eat. DJ Shinehead was jammin all night long. Michael the entertainer is so talented and was all over the resort making sure everyone was having a good time. The food was delicious. Having breakfast with a view the beautiful blue beach is unbelievable! The planes did not bother us at all. We were sad to leave Sandals MoBay and sad to leave all the wonderful staff that quickly became our friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,244)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have been to 5 islands in the Caribbean, and this was our 2nd time to Jamaica. We previously stayed in Negril, and although the resort was beautiful, the long shuttle ride was just too time consuming. So this year we chose the opposite with a 10 minute ride. Yes, everyone mentions the airplanes overhead, but they don't fly overnight, so it just didn't bother us. The grounds were beautifully maintained, and our room was comfortable and very quiet. We enjoyed the balcony with a view of the ocean. The outdoor dining areas were wonderful, from the breakfast buffet to the fabulous jerk chicken at lunch and dinner at Stewfish with your feet in the sand. Although numerous water sport activities were available, we enjoyed the total relaxation of lounging on beach chairs, looking at the gorgeous water, and having another frozen drink! The bar staff on the beach were fabulous and came by frequently asking if we were ready for another drink. They were very friendly and personable. Our only disappointment was with the entertainment in the evenings. It also would have been great to have had some live reggae music on the beach! We would return to Sandals at MoBay!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 509Barb
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're so happy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. It was a pleasure hosting you and we look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing vacation.
Jasper, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2014

If you book in the Butler class of rooms you have to request Andrea. She was outstanding and really what stood out at this resort. She made us feel like our every need was attended to without hovering. Everyday she had our chairs reserved with a beverage cooler. She served us breakfast on our patio. Chilled champagne with a snack or a drawn bath waited for us in the afternoon after the pool. I had difficulty getting the WiFi to work for my phone but she took care of it for me. Our room was spectacular, very private and right on the water.
We really enjoyed our week. The smaller sized pools made it a more intimate experience. We met alot of great people in the smaller space like Leslie and Dan and June and Steve. The food was good, not great. The bartenders were wonderful, especially Amoy at the swim up bar. Loved her smile everyday.
Take the catamaran cruise with Captain Hulk! We did it twice! Then you have to go down the tunnel slide at Margaritaville. It dumps you right into the ocean!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We're so thrilled to read about your amazing stay at Sandals Montego Bay. It's always so encouraging to know about the great experiences our guests have on resort. I'm happy that took excellent care of you during your stay.

Thank you so much for your review! We can't wait to welcome you back in the future!
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Returned yesterday.
Building I stayed in: almonds towards the end of building all rooms are ocean front only.
Pros:
Room opposite to jacuzzi.
Perfect ocean view, beautiful sunsets, it wasn't directly accessible to beach but really you don't need that. You can easily walk to the beach, I didn't feel it was a huge walk. I was on 2nd floor ocean view front club level room.these rooms have staircase shared by 2 rooms, unlike 3rd floor which has 2 stairs at starting and end of building. Room itself is of decent size has king size bed. Room was quiet, not much of noise from people walking or talking upstairs or outside.
I never felt crowded anywhere there, even on beach you will get the chairs easily. But yes people take those chairs early in the morning.
Water sports are ample you will love those.
Pool is nice and relaxing
Gym has good machines they didn't have napkins when we went there.
Room service was quick almost always.
Friday market is good bring local sellers inside.
Entertainment dances and other activities keep you occupied almost all the time.
Staff seemed friendly but didn't seem happy.

Cons:
Service was overall just ok.
Walking paths or tiles to rooms are slippery because of humidity watch your steps.
Toilets of gym needs to be cleaned.
BathRoom whirlpool jet was broken.
Sink of our room kept clogging.
Closet was too dark to see anything inside.
Room was not cleaned the day before we had to leave and also other days it wasn't upto the mark.. I had to call and ask for toiletries, towel etc.
I had to call 2 times to restock, I wanted water in my room, room service told us drinks are under concierge.
Wine glasses or champagne glasses were never changed I had to always ask them to bring it.
Person who brings your luggage from lounge to bus and from bus to airline counter will ask you for tip so have change in hand.

Photoshop was expensive 10photos in cd for 120$. But then you want those because those photographers take such lovely pictures of you.

Comments
There are complimentary photo shoots but you have to pay for prints.

Bar in room was stocked when we checked in but alcohol is available everywhere on the property and we were rarely in the room, we were almost always outside enjoying the activity and entertainment and water.

Concierge was good overall but when we asked them to make reservation for oleanders they said it was done but when we reached there they didn't have it but guy still adjusted a seating for us.

Food was really good in the following order:
#1 Stew fish : pepper shrimps, stew fish, banana pudding just marvelous.
#2Oleanders: everything was good. Service was excellent. Robert was our waiter, just made our dinner perfect.
#3Buffets and mariners we went there for breakfasts and lunch.
#4Cucina romana: they didn't have whatever I ordered so everything was just less than usual. Make an early appointment. Vanessa did a good job.
#5Tokyo Jo: didn't like sushi sampler, shrimp, miso soup or the entree.my husband liked the entree. But overall I didn't like the food overall compared to other restaurants on property.

Tip: take swimsuits for each day you plan to swim or do water activities, they don't have dryers and swim-costumes won't dry up easily for next day.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Simone T
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We're glad that you had an enjoyable stay, overall, at our resort. We always strive to create amazing experiences that keep our guests coming back. Therefore, we certainly hope that you will consider visiting us again for a much better stay in the future. We want to exceed all of your expectations in the future.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This was our eighth all-inclusive Caribbean vacation, but first time to Jamaica. We extensively researched different hotels in the Mo bay area and settled on Sandals Montego Bay, based on location and positive reviews. We went in with very high expectations, given that this is a sandals resort, and we were not disappointed. We stayed at this resort from January 6 to the 13th.

Proximity to airport: It still baffles me that people complain about hearing the planes overhead... If you do any research at all before selecting a resort, you would even immediately know that this resort is literally right next to the runway of Montego Bay airport and YES planes can be heard, frequently. So why book this resort then complain about the noise?? This makes absolutely no sense to me. We knew going in that we would hear each and every flight take off, but for us, this was in no way an issue, the noise during take-off was very brief (5-7 seconds!!) and did not bother us in the least. In fact, we chose this resort because it was so close to the airport. The advantage of a short ride to the airport far outweighed any brief perceived inconvenience of airplane noise.

Room: We booked an oceanfront honeymoon suite in the almonds building. We requested a quiet room and we were placed on the third floor at the very end of the Almonds building, away from the main area, perfect for us!! Our room was exactly as pictured on the website, a little bit worn, but who cares, we were not in our room very much. Fridge was stocked with everything you could imagine, even a bottle of champagne daily. There was lots of beer, juice, water, pop and an assortment of spirits. There was also an iHome clock radio that proved to be very useful for charging my iPhone, thus freeing up my charger for my husband to use. We really appreciated having double sinks and lots of counterspace to put our toiletries. It is also a nice idea to have the toilet and bath tub/shower separate from the sink area. Our veranda was huge looking out over the ocean.

Food & Drinks: We did not have one bad meal during our stay, we absolutely loved Tokyo Jo's, the Italian restaurant, the French restaurant, and also the Bayside buffet. We did not get a chance to try Stew Fish or Oleander. We ate wants at Cricketeers Pub and nearly froze to death, air-conditioning was on bust, no windows to look outside so you really had no reminder that you were in the Caribbean, we could have been in the middle of Britain very easily! It's certainly succeeded in having a 'pub feel' and the food was good. We enjoyed the food at the snack bar on the beach as well, excellent pizza and jerk chicken!! We loved the breakfast at the buffet every morning, it did not get repetitive and everything was fresh and tasty!!
I was a little disappointed with the drinks. I like Mojitos and they were out of Mint for the entire week that we were there! I tried several of the cocktails and mixed drinks but they were far too sweet for my taste. I ended up drinking champagne and beer for most of the week. My husband stuck to his usual, rum & Coke, and found the local Rum to be just fine, Appleton Estate, I believe. We enjoyed the beach bar and also the lobby bar, spent a lot of time there, we did not get around to visiting the piano bar nor the swim up bar, too much else to see and do!

Beach: the beach is beautiful, soft sand, very few shells or rocks. The only drawback for awesome was that the beach is quite short, so you could not walk on and on for ages, as we like to do. We are both 'beach people' and enjoy spending time walking the beach. When I compare to our beach experiences in Varadero, Cuba and Cancun, this beach was be a disappointment in that regard. It is beautiful and clean, just too short.

Pool: We spent most of our time on the beach, but one day we did lounge in the comfy Bali beds at the pool nearest to the buffet, awesome experience there too, drinks coming constantly! My husband found the pool water quite cold (wimp!) LOL, but I found the water refreshing, I appreciated having lounging floaters that you could relax on in the water and just drift around the pool!

Service: Overall, the service was excellent and met our expectations. All the staff, maids, waiters, bartenders, etc., were very friendly and more than willing to help you at any time. No complaints, generally speaking. We had concierge service, however, and I must say that there was one or two employees working at the concierge desk that at times I felt like I was putting them out when requesting assistance. Nothing in particular was said, it was more the look and the attitude that I found annoying, given that we paid extra for this particular service. We barely used our concierge service, except to book our dinner reservations at the restaurants to book our catamaran 'booze cruise' to Margaritaville (awesome half day excursion, highly recommend!).

Resort grounds: absolutely beautiful, very tropical and clean, a true paradise!! I got out early on two occasions to walk around and take pictures of different flowers, foliage and trees all around the resort, breath-taking, immaculate groomed. There was always someone cleaning up, pruning shrubs or sweeping the walkways. The public washrooms throughout the resort were in stellar condition, clean and tidy!

Spa: We booked a duet massage one morning at the spa, we enjoy our massages, however the young lady who was my masseuse left me with several bruises and I was tender from head to toe, I did tell her that the pressure was a bit too much, but nothing changed. Maybe I should have been more insistent... The most annoying thing about our massage was that afterwards, they really pushed buying their products. In fact, when we went to pay for our massage, they had four products on the counter saying that we needed them and proceeded to add them to our bill, without asking us if we wanted to purchase the products that they recommended. I stood my ground and said that we did not need the products. They tried again to insist that we needed products, as well as another follow-up treatment the following day, again we said NO and they finally relented. I found them to be far too pushy, actually beforehand we had in mind to book another massage later in the week but this just turned us off, so we didn't.

I would recommend this resort without hesitation for anyone visiting Jamaica! We had a beautiful week, relaxing and full of pampering!! An excellent all-inclusive choice that did not disappoint.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lornafudge
We're so glad to hear that you had an amazing stay at Sandals Montego Bay. We always strive to offer romantic and memorable vacations to our guests and I'm happy we were able to do just that during your stay. Thank you so much for your review!

We hope to see you again soon!
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 15, 2014

First- I don't typically like all inclusive places due to crowds that mimic hearded cattle and not great food, but this was definitely a good experience. We stayed in a basic OceanFront room #1005 with a gorgeous view. We didn't need more because we were barely ever in the room. We didn't have a 'butler' as some did but we didn't need one- we were fine making our own dinner reservations, finding our own chairs on the beach, etc.. It is cool that they give you a cell phone, though, to contact your butler at any time you need.

To start, the planes are annoying in the beginning but then you get used to them.. you truly do. You just 'pause' in conversation for 5 seconds everytime one flies over and clink glasses with your new friends and smile about it. The noise is still worth the short 5 minute drive after landing to get to the hotel. Every evening Virgin has one HUGE plane that takes off, it's quite the sight. Everyone stops, stares, and ooh's and ahh's at it.

Second, the hourly shuttle between the two Montego Bay resorts (Royal Carribean is the sister resort) is to die for. You can use all of their amenities and restaurants and beaches.Two resorts for the price of one, located 5 minutes apart. Awesome.

Third, Clothing optional beach on the private Island off of the Sandals Royal Carribean resort is awesome. Best swimming hole I've seen yet was there. And lunch is brought out there daily to the 'Bamboo Shack' (must wear clothes to lunch though because it is shared with non-nude folks!) And I am not a nudist, but had no problem shedding the bathing suit, and I loved it!!! Just this feature would keep me coming back for more.

Fourth, great staff. Shout out and high fives go to: Alford at the Front Desk in Montego Bay- he was sooo friendly. Romaine at the Beach Bar- super friendly. Owen at the island bar off Royal Carribean- makes you feel very welcome. Tevin at the pool bar (that kid has major personality!). Pheonia at the island who ran the Thai restaurant, she was just so sweet and willing to do anything to make your stay pleasant. Jasmine and Andrea who gave us wonderful body scrubs at the spa and smiled everytime we saw them around the grounds. Dionne the breakfast chef was beyond amazing with her friendly demeanor and amazing food. The lady who does the entertainment is fantastic. And the landscaping staff is just sooo sweet. I met one of them at the awards night (for which they won an award) and the young man I talked to was just so proud of his departments work around the grounds. (Which were spotless and perfectly kept!) It was nice to see.

A special thank you goes out to the Royal Caribbean waiter Gregory and Chef Chevon- they provided the absolute highlight of my trip. I am a MAJOR foodie. On my last night I ate lobster and all the other goodies, but after I asked to see the chef. Chevon came out, very friendly, and I begged him to make me something that was TRULY Jamaican, something his grandmother might serve, and NOT resort food. He made me a tasting plate of diced pumpkin, caliloo cooked two different ways, and spicy curried meat. It was the definite most awesome moment of my entire trip. I'm sure he wasn't 'supposed' to do that, but the fact that he did made me so incredibly happy. I think that there should be a place very close where you can get REAL Jamaican food- not resort Jamaican food (We ate at the Oleander Jamaican restaurant and it was still 'resortized' Jamaican food). I want cubed pumpkin and goat and stuff!

Tip: Buy an insulated travel mug at the gift shop and use it for ALL your drinks. Not only is it more sanitary but it keeps your drinks cold and covered. Wish we had known that from the start.

A few minor downers (but nothing major) were:
*All the food is salty or sugary
*The ocean has lion fish and sea urchins so make sure you can see where you step.
*Waiting for drinks in lines sometimes. (Not always though)
*Sugar sugar and more sugar in those drinks!
*A travel agent convention on our last day was hugely annoying as they created waits and lines for food and drink

Other than that, it was Irie, Mon!!!! :) Denise and Joe, CT

1 Thank AnastasiaDancer
Thank you so much for such an amazing review of Sandals Montego Bay! We can tell that you really enjoyed your stay. We are always delighted to hear our guests speak so highly of our staff and they really appreciate the kind words. They work really hard to make each guest feel welcomed and ensure they have a blast. We will be waiting to welcome you back and look forward having more fun times with you.
New Castle PA
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We just came back from a wedding at the Sandals Resort in Jamaica and went to the Tai Restaurant which at night is not really worth the trip. We had a mixup with reservations and we were the last ones there and we had to wait until the crew was done to take their boat back to the shuttle... so we missed the shuttle by 2 minutes. There were 8 of us and we had to pay for a shuttle back. If we did not have to wait, we would have made the shuttle. It took 2 days to get the issue resolved. Was not impressed by the restaurant and food was ok. Once back at the resort we had a difficult time talking with the night manager about the shuttle fiasco. I understand that the shuttle runs on a schedule, but we were ready to take the boat back, but we had to wait until they cleaned up. We were the last people there.
The food was ok, not the best and most of the sit down service the food was actually cold. The breakfast buffet was good, but never varied. This is our 3rd all-inclusive and was not our number 1.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting about your stay with us. I’m so sorry that your experience with us did not quite meet your expectations.

Your feedback is crucial in the improvement process so we thank you for your review. Your comments have been sent to our management team for review and action will be taken to ensure our future guests do not share this experience.

Hopefully, we can welcome you back for a much better vacation in the future.