“Go for Butler service!”

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Cresco, Iowa
“Go for Butler service!”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Had a great week. Food, Villa, Butler service was all great. Friendly staff and good bartenders. The planes did not bother us at all. Actually loved the fact we were so close to the airport, didn't have to ride any long crazy bus ride. Had champayne in my hand 30 minutes after landing. Welcome home. :)

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank jphtrh
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
We're thrilled to hear of your wonderful stay at Sandals Montego Bay. We strive to offer amazing and relaxing experiences to our guests and I'm glad you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you so much for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We chose Sandals Montego Bay in large part due to the reviews on Tripadvisor and overall I'm glad that we did. Here is a run down of the good and then the few flaws.

The greeting at the airport was fast and efficient - we were only on the Sandals lounge long enough to have one Red Stripe and then we were on our way (with our second Red Stripe in hand for the trip). Note, that when you get to the bus you will sit on the bus for another 10 minutes, so grab a drink for the way and relax and talk to the other guests on the bus. There are about three times that you will need cash tips on you before you get to the resort - the person that tags your bags at the lounge, the red cap that brings your bags to the bus, and then the driver that drives you to the resort. Just have a few ones on you for each of these people.

Checking In: We were concierge so we went to the concierge lounge to check in - this was nice, but things definitely move on "island time" and it seemed like we were in the lounge for a long time. When you pay extra for concierge you are supposed to be able to have dinner reservations made for you at the restaurants that require reservations - this is one of the flaws as we arrived on Tuesday and were leaving on Saturday and the only night we were able to get a dinner reservation for was Friday, the last day of our trip. This was frustrating as we were looking forward to eating at a couple of the restaurants and could not get into them. (More on the dinner reservation later....)

The rooms:
Our rooms seemed small when we first checked in, but ended up being an ample amount of space. Our refrigerator was stocked with beer, soda, water, fruit juice, white and sparkling wine everyday and the bar was stocked with gin, vodka, rum and whiskey, this was great for making in room cocktails before heading out to dinner or sitting on the deck.

The Beach:
The beach was plenty big enough and gorgeous. A major flaw is that there are not nearly enough areas with shade. Unless you have butler service you can forget getting a chair under one of the thatch trees. This is really a shame. There should be a way to get an umbrella in the sand or something so that those of us without butler service can have ways of being in the shade on the beach when the sun is really beating down - this would be a great addition.

The Gym:
The gym was awesome. Treadmills were in great shape, as well as the other machines, there were plenty of weight machines and free weights and the gym was always clean and generally cool compared to the outside. This is one of the better beach resort gyms I have been in.

The Drinks:
This is completely dependent on who you get as a bartender. Some bartenders didn't know how to make the drinks on the menu and seemed lost behind the bar, others made the drinks so weak that you wondered if there was any alcohol at all, but others were great including Kenneth and Nickesha at the Mariner - they were great! And at dinner your wine glass will never be empty - they are very generous with the pours and making sure you always have a full glass.

The Food:
The breakfast and lunch buffets at Bayside were always good and offered enough variety so that you didn't get bored with the food. The dinners at every restaurant we went to (except for Bayside and Oleander) were far too over salted - just a terrible amount of salt - at Stewfish we couldn't even eat the Bouillabaisse because it was like licking a bouillon cube - maybe it was just an off night, but that was something that seemed to be consistent about the dinners.

Reservations:
As I mentioned, at check in we were able to get one reservation at Oleander on our last night.
At 7:30 when we showed up for our reservation the host said that there was no reservation for us and informed us that he was completely booked and would not be able to seat us for dinner. Considering that we had paid extra for concierge and that they had made our reservation for us and I actually had the reservation slip from them I went back to the concierge lounge and spoke to the person on duty (Kensha) I believe was her name. After initially telling us that there was nothing that could be done we explained that this was our last night, that we had actually rebooked a vacation there for the next year, and that we had proof of the reservation she worked with the host and got us an 8:30 reservation. When we got back to the restaurant at 8:30 I expected it to be packed and to get squeezed in - the restaurant was empty - literally there were four tables withe people at them (including us) so I'm not sure why we were originally told that they couldn't seat us at all that night. Anyway - with that behind us we had a great dinner there that night and when we returned to our room our turn down service left us a note to apologize for the mix up and decorated our bed with rose petals which was appreciated.

The Staff:
The staff were always very nice and smiling. Some staff were definitely more senior than others - some seemed very new and still learning the ropes, but I'm sure with the level of turnover in the resort industry that this is bound to be something that they face all the time. In general all of the staff was great.

We will definitely be back next year because overall it was a great experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank julieb10204
We're happy to read that your stay, overall, was very enjoyable and you will be back next year. However, we always strive to offer amazing vacation experiences and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. Your feedback will be sent to our management team to ensure your next stay is nothing short of amazing!

Thank you for your review. We look forward to showcasing our true luxury and stellar service during your next visit.
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Let me qualify this by saying that I have stayed at many places in Jamaica. I have stayed at half moon, tryall, ritz, caves, couples, and royal plantation. My wife and I are 42 and we have young kids.
In coming to this property I had many reservations frankly. That said, we were traveling with couples and it seemed like a good option especially the fact that it was all inclusive so I booked were the group wanted to go.
This place is literally right at the end if the runway. It takes 5 minutes to get there. I landed at 11am and was on the beach drinking by 12. Huge plus. As for the airport, yes you hear the planes take off but I was shocked it didn't bother me. Doesn't seem to start till 10am or so and it is done by 10pm. Most of the time I didn't even notice it honestly. You seem to forget about it.
The food and service was great. When I say great I mean relatively great. I have listed the resorts above where I have stayed and comparing this good to those resorts I would say this is as good if not better then each of those. Is it the best food I ever ate? No but again I think it is among best on the island. We live in NYC so we can be hard to please when it comes to food. Want to give a shout out to romaine and romain who took such good care if us especially at the Italian place.
We stayed in the presidential one bedroom butler suite room 753. We were surprised to find we have a semi private pool. Apparently the only one on the resort. Buyers were awesome. Special about out to Charlene and Shelly Ann. They made our trip very enjoyable. If there was one reason I didn't give this place 5 stars, it would be because I think the rooms could use a refresh. They were perfectly comfortable and clean but if they were redone and slightly modernized like some of the newer sandals resorts look like I would have gone with 5 stars. Nothing to complain about here just underwhelming.
Activities were great always something to do. They have a bar open till 5 am if you want or other ones that close earlier. We enjoyed going to the piano bar that closed at 2am. Games going on at all times. What I liked most was that if you wanted to just chill and veg on the beach you could. If you would rather be part of the action that was an option as well. Special shout out to Damar. He made our time on the beach perfect in all respects. Always there with a drink and always bringing us new things to try based on what we seemed to be liking at the time. On our last day ( today as I write this) Damar was off and we really missed his service as well as his company. It was great to get to know him.
In closing we are going back for sure. I am going to rebook tomorrow. Like any place you visit, vacation is what you make of it. If you are looking for good food, great service, close to airport so you don't waste time in transit then you have found your place.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ewrtravel
We're so happy to read that you had a great vacation with us. You enjoyed our luxurious accommodations, beautiful property and the wonderful hospitality of our staff. Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure creating such a memorable experience for you.

We can't wait to see you again!
Appleton
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed here in November, 2013, celebrating an anniversary. We were treated so well by, simply put, the best staff we have ever encountered. Having booked our trip just a few weeks ahead of time, we understand why we got probably the only less desirable room in the place, but, that being said, it was only because of the number of deciduous trees which were on the otherwise beautiful outside patio. Again, EVERYONE we encountered was wonderful, friendly and helpful. Food was wonderful, and we highly recommend the "dress up" Jamaican restaurant which was the best meal we had the entire time. The housekeeping service was superb, the spa services wonderful (but overpriced) and, should you be tempted to buy the Appleton rum...save your pennies. It is cheaper state side. The only real complaint we have is the "no tipping allowed" policy. We think it should be a "tipping optional" policy, rather than the current policy which can result in an employee being terminated for taking a dollar or two we wish to give them. If you have ANY special event upcoming (or you are living through this incredibly horrific winter) do not hesitate to stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for any room that does not have leaves dropping all over the patio outside your room!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FoxValleyDiner
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband & I just returned from our second stay at the Sandals Montego Bay and it was great once again. Going to start with mention of several staff members that were just outstanding; came across an old friend Shinton who is now a Bar Supervisor. Last time our paths crossed was down at the beach bar. He meets so many people but actually remembered us. We had several conversations and certainly look forward to seeing again next year. He is such a nice man and Sandals needs to hang onto him. The beach bar big shout out to Whitaker and Kenneth great service day after day. The kids serving on the beach are fabulous, always so positive and so very good at their jobs. Donesha & DeMar were GREAT GREAT. They take the time day after day to get to know people and spoil you. It happen to be my Birthday while there and Donesha found me and gave me a big hug. DeMar paid extra special attention to make sure I was never wanting for anything. Much love & respect to both of them. Davion (Dr. D) fabulous! Drinks ready before we even asked. Made me a beautiful rose out of a napkin - such a hard worker and a sweetie. Robert in the Oleander Rm treated us like royalty. Second time our paths have crossed with him. Such a pleasant man made our evening very special. Cleaning staff always pleasant. Our room was spotless. Kemisha in Toyko Joe's great girl - great food too.
Now to the resort, Love it. It is the perfect size. No matter which room you are in, you are within a stroll. Not walking forever to get to the beach or dinner like at some of the other resorts we have been to. The restaurants are wonderful. The rack of lamb is to die for. I would prefer the Bayside to be buffet in the evening. There are evenings you just don't know what you want and the other restaurants are very specific. I have to say the Beach Restaurant has some of the best pizza! Did experience the beach chair saving game this time. If we wanted sheltered spot had to down by about 6:30am. We did it a few days but you could always find a spot to relax in the shade somewhere. Our stay was Jan 25th to Feb 6 weather was great.
To all the staff & management at the Sandals Montego Bay - Thank you for yet another great holiday.
See you next year!
Jay & Shelli from Wpg Canada

Room Tip: If you are not beach side walk out make sure you are further away from the restaurants as it can be...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shelli P
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Having just completed another perfect stay at this resort, I am eager to share about the experience and hopefully provide commentary worthy of the resort and the exceptional staff. We were at the resort during the last week of January and during this time celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary. We reached a milestone in the Sandals Signature Guest program with this visit and received our silver sandals. What an honor to receive this recognition from the kind gentlemen known so affectionately by so many as Daddy Stone. It was also very much our pleasure to meet for the first time the new general manager, Mr. Gerald Christ.

Our trip was booked through Dream Makers Vacation Services and agent Amy McHugh.
The services provided by this agency from start to finish were outstanding. To say this agency goes above and beyond is an understatement. Not only does Dream Makers Vacation Services follow up with the resort prior to your arrival, they also follow through during the course of your stay. This was evident upon meeting and speaking with the general manager, Gerald Christ. He was excited to let us know that he had been on the phone with our agent during the day that had called to check on how our stay was going. It also became apparent during the course of the stay that our anniversary had been emphasized through our agent’s communication with the resort. This speaks volumes to me of the level of service and attention our reservation received. We booked a club level penthouse room in the Almonds block (our usual category which we are very happy with) and received an upgrade to an unbelievable room with an expansive marble bathroom and with a great view, in one of the beachfront villas. A note from Amy McHugh along with chocolate chip cookies had been placed in the room and was a very nice surprise.

Just as Dream Maker Vacation Services did an incredible job, Sandals Montego Bay has always made our stay special and memorable. Of the number of times we have visited Sandals properties in Jamaica, Sandals Montego Bay is our favorite without a doubt. Sandals Montego Bay, yet again, met all of our expectations and more with its exceptional staff, great management team, and incredible food and beverage service. I can think of many examples of thoughtful gestures by staff members. For example, Ms. Dawn Smith arranged a very special dinner for our anniversary. Also, how can I forget other staff members like Davion, the beach bartender, Dr. D, Clayton, and Gary having served us so well at the main bar. I can go on and on from the delightful Gerdeen who served us at the beach grill to Mark for making sure we all were having a good time at Cricketers. By the way, Gerdeen set up a memorable anniversary lunch setting complete with chilled champagne and anniversary dessert. A special thank you to Carlos in club level concierge who checked in on us daily and ensured our mini bar stayed well stocked with diet coke, per our request. All of the staff are warm, friendly, and provide genuinely cheerful service. There is a noticeable level of sincerity shown by the staff. Whether this was our first time meeting them, or whether we have become known to them as returning guest….more like friends. We are always welcomed back home at Sandals Montego Bay. And, it is always so good to be back!!

Another great feature of this resort is the food. We dined at all of the restaurants and received excellent service at each. We enjoyed deliciously prepared entrees of seafood, lobster, steak, Italian dishes such as lasagna, and cooked to order stir-fry at Tokyo Joe’s. One of the dining highlights this trip was dinner at Stewfish. The lobster and seafood dish was excellent as well as steak perfectly prepared to our desired temperature. In short, the food is excellent and is a good example of how this resort hits on all cylinders.

As far as the feel or vibe of this resort, the ambience is incredible. Because of this, it allows you to fulfill your vacation desires, or achieve the purpose of your vacation. This simi-active resort will allow you to be as active or as laid back as you desire. The spa should not be missed as they have a delightful staff that provides a very nice experience. Nightly entertainment is generally good with good options for later night fun at Cricketers Pub and also the piano bar.

Our stay was perfect in every way we can imagine. However, we did encounter issues with our flights home due to weather events.
It has been stated many times, you can tell the true heart of people when they are under pressure. The managerial staff at Sandals Montego Bay blew us away, specifically Mr. Gerald Christ, regarding this situation. The resort was almost 100 percent sold out on the day of our departure so pressure was coming to the staff if not already there. We left Sandals heading back home as planned. After most of the day spent at the airport, our flight was cancelled due to the weather issues in the southeast. Not wanting to put added pressure on the Sandals management we hesitated to call the resort and inquire about returning, as we considered other options. Upon our departure from Sandals Montego Bay, Gerald Christ gave us his personal business card with contact information. Being the number was convenient, I made the call knowing with such short notice my chances were slim at best. It was getting late at this point and we were hoping for a simple guest room wherever that may be if we were able to stay another night at Sandals. Gerald Christ let me know that he would be on it immediately and have a nice room available for us to return. Again, if the heart of the people under pressure is exposed, the heart of this staff at Sandals Montego Bay is pure gold.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bobbygen
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from our yearly vacation at Sandals Montego Bay and once again we enjoyed our time tremendously. We were greeted with wet towels to cool us down on a hot day. Immediately as we walked in we were met by Al who welcomed us home. He wasted no time in getting us a very nice cocktail. Check in was hassle free and our room was ready on time. This time our room was in the Seagrapes building, though it was cozy and near the piano bar, I would recommend the Almond section as the rooms are bigger with double vanity and liquor included in the room. The difference in rooms does not make or break your vacation, but if you have a choice go with the more upgraded rooms. We had food by the grill and that was good. There was a special dinner for returning guests and the food was excellent. I believe that is one of the great things about Sandals, the staff make you feel appreciated and they treat their return guests extra special. As a matter of fact, we all received a bottle of Appleton rum as a token of appreciation. Needless to say we met other return guests who had only positive things to share about Sandals. Shaneca hosted the dinner and did a great job of interacting with the guests. The other place we ate was Cucina, I would recommend the lobster thermidor, very flavourful and tasty. Robert our waiter was very attentive and so pleasant. We also ate at Bayside, food was okay some days better than others. The drinks were very good, with the bartenders tending to your every need. Special mention to Ajeet in the piano bar, he made the best Amaretto Sour I have ever had. Activities were always happening the playmakers made sure of that. Kemar hosted the volleyball competition once when we were there and he sure kept us entertained.

Great people, excellent service and excellent food. We had a great time and will continue to vacation at Sandals because they do make you feel at home.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!