“Vacation”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My wife and I vacationed at this resort in Novemeber 2013. We have stayed at many 4 and 5 star resorts throughout the Caribbean, thus far the staff at Sandals has it hands down. Very pleasant, happy to actually have you there. The Beach was top notch, clean, and always ready for its guests. The Red Lane Spa was outstanding! Dawn Smith, you and your staff are super! We will return and have marked this as one of our favorites. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stevep67440
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

We're so happy to read that you had such an amazing vacation at Sandals Montego Bay. We always want to exceed the expectations of our guests and ensure that they are enjoying themselves during their stay. The staff will be encouraged to hear of your kind mention. Thank you so much for your review.

We look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We flew to MBJ via USAirways out of Philadelphia on Saturday morning. Flight was uneventful and lines at immigration were surprisingly short, especially for Saturday of MLK weekend. We were through and at the Sandals lounge in a matter of minutes.

We hopped on the bus and this time the bus went to SRC first, so I guess they mix things up as far as drop off goes. I checked my infamous bag tag and all I had was a blue tag, which I think is returning guest. I then assumed I was correct in that we would not be receiving any kind of upgrade this trip. I was wrong! Thanks to our wonderful TA Amy at DreamMakers Vacation Services, we actually received an upgrade from a luxury room, second from the bottom at this resort, to what I believe was a honeymoon butler hideaway suite in the BayRoc villas! I was stunned, and extremely grateful. The reason we did not receive another sticker was because while they gave us the room, we only received the amenities we paid for. So no club level service, no butler. We did however get to use the robes in the room as well as free wifi. But no lounge, no alcohol in room. Which was all fine by us!

The room was beautiful and in a great location, IMO. It is a bit removed from the main activities and restaurants so if you have mobility issues or just don't like to walk much you might not like the location. We loved it because it was so quiet and peaceful. This particular suite has a separate soaking tub and open stall shower, two sinks and a toilet room. You also have a large sitting area with couch and oversized chair, plus a table for two. We had a ground floor room so we then also had a patio with table and chairs, plus an extended area with two loungers and an umbrella looking out at the ocean. So in theory you could book this room and never leave if you don't want to do so. Loved it!

The food was wonderful. Dinner at Cucina Romana might be my favorite Sandals dinner ever. I also loved Bayside for dinner, and my traveling companion absolutely loved Oleander. We also had the opportunity to dine at Stewfish and Le Jardiner over at SRC. Every meal was excellent, and all dinners had great service. We ate breakfast each morning at Bayside and it was standard Sandals breakfast. The same breakfast you get at any of the resorts. We had lunch at Bayside on arrival day and the food was very good. The rest of our stay we opted for the beach grill, which was quick and easy, and good, once we figured out how the service works. That is my one little suggestion to Sandals. I wish the beach grills had more consistent service across resorts. It always feels confusing to me how to place you order and it varies by resort. At SMB, some days they came over and took your order at the table, other days we would have waited forever for someone to bother, so we learned quickly to just go up to the counter and order our food. They would then happily deliver it to you at a table.

This resort definitely has a different vibe then SRC, which I stayed at back in November. SMB is absolutely more active, more fun, more relaxed. The dress code is more casual across the board. It feels like a laid back beach party at SMB, whereas SRC is quieter and more formal, by far. The beach activities actually were hopping at SMB. The playmakers did not have to beg people to participate. There were always plenty of guests willing to play sports or take dance lessons or whatever was being offered. It is definitely a fun resort! This resort also had the most mixed crowd I have ever seen at a Sandals, so for those of you who feel strongly about the whole "couples only" rule, this might not be your favorite resort. Clearly the majority of guests were couples, but there were plenty of mixed groups and groups of men/women who clearly were not traveling with significant others. This does not bother me in the least but I know not everyone feels that way so I thought I would mention it.

Finally I cannot say enough about the customer service we experienced. This is why I keep coming back to the Sandals brand over and over again. We actually were supposed to come home yesterday but due to bad weather back home, we had to stay an extra day. This is where a great TA is invaluable, as well as an excellent company like Sandals. Sandals could not have made things easier or more comfortable for us. They not only allowed us to stay an extra night, complimentary, but also allowed us to keep our room after originally being told we could stay but would have to move. It was wonderful. Something I otherwise would have been completely stressing about turned into a completely easy, hassle free experience. I am so grateful to Sandals and our TA Amy for helping us out and ensuring we were completely taken care of and comfortable when our travel plans changed unexpectedly. I am very impressed.

Overall we had a wonderful five nights of relaxation, good food and drink, and fun. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to SMB, and yes, it is true, you do get used to the airplanes after the first day! I honestly stopped noticing them.

Room Tip: Bay Roc Villas are the quietest rooms, but are also the farthest away from the restaurants and enter...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Kate C

Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're delighted to read that you had such an awesome time at our resort. We are so happy that we succeeded in creating that luxury romantic experience for you. You enjoyed every minute of your vacation and it was a pleasure sharing the experience with you.

We look forward to your return for an even better stay in the near future.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

me and my wife visited from 1-16-14 to 1-22-14, With so so weather, only one day of full sun. The staff was amazing from beginning to end. MeGane and O'Daniel at the front desk. We had the honor to meet the executive chef and food and beverage manager. The bar staff was delightful. The special ones that stood out were Clayton, Kenneth, David, Omar , Dane all worked as a team.
the beach grill with Julian and Knoshisa to Tokyo Joe with Kenothal to Robert at Oleander. the Managers Solomon and , , Dominque were very attentive .We will be joining the sandals family. The staff made our visit a great one.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I was rather disappointed with this resort and our time here. After staying at Iberostar Montego Bay, it's really hard to love anywhere else as much, but I wanted to give Sandals the benefit of the doubt before making any assumptions or jumping to any conclusions. That was silly...

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a VERY nice staff. I had to provide them with a credit card just in case we charged any thing to the room, which I had no problem with. However, when I went to swipe the card at the machine at the front desk for their records, another guest refused to move out of the way. I repeatedly said "excuse me, sir" thinking he did not hear me the first time. He responded very rudely "you can use that machine over there!" and refused to move. I then explained "no, this young lady has asked me to use this machine" and pointed to the lady behind the counter. He took the pencil on the credit card machine and drew all over it then tossed it back at me. He asked if there was a problem and I had to bite my tongue to tell him where to go. Nice first night! The staff did nothing to calm him down or get him out of my way. Granted, it was uncomfortable and awkward, but still. It made ME feel uncomfortable.

We got to our room around 10:00PM after a very long day of traveling. Our flight was delayed six hours, so we were exhausted and decided to get some rest on the first night and get an early start in the morning. Our room was literally the first one outside the lobby/entertainment dome. It was so incredibly loud I can't even begin to explain!! Our deck also overlooked Tokyo Joe's (the hibachi restaurant), which was also loud. The entertainment was over around 10:30PM, so that's not too bad. However, since we were also by Criketeers, which is open until 5:00AM and plays club music, we were constantly battling noise at night. In addition to this, Tokyo Joe's staff does dishes/cleaning until 3:00AM-4:00AM in the morning. OUR ROOM WAS TERRIBLE. So loud!

Finally, we did not have hot water in the shower ALL WEEK! I mentioned this front desk on the very first day and it was never fixed.

Although Iberostar was a little more money, you get what you pay for!! Our room was tiny and loud as all get out.

The food was just okay. We were told we could make reservations for the restaurants the morning of, but that was false, so we mostly ate at the Bayside Restaurant.

Oh and let's not forget being a rock throw away FROM THE AIRPORT!!! Good heavens.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 202!
3  Thank catiedoe

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not quite live up to your expectations.

We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for review.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my girlfriend while I attended a convention for work. The room was nice, all we needed. The beach was great. The entertainment team, awesome. I loved playing beach volleyball each day. The food was very good, but the best thing was the staff. One day, I was to be gone all day, they were going to have Curry Goat at lunch. I was going to miss it. In passing, I mentioned I was bummed to not be there for lunch. When I returned from work I had a message in my room letting me know they saved some for me! I would definitely go back! Only thing that I didnt love were the beach chairs.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sean R

Thank you for your great review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're so happy to read that you had such an amazing stay with us. We always strive to go above and beyond to please our guests and I'm glad we were able to meet that goal during your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better experience in the future.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

While my husband and I nice time overall at this resort I do not think it would be more than a 3 star hotel. Pros; Nice beach, great weather, good service and yummy food. Cons: Ants in the hotelroom bathroom, bed sheets were ripped, birds everywhere while you eat; to elaborate on that one, while my husband and I were eating on their outdoor patio I had one of the many birds flying around do his buisiness on my hand and in my food this was not a good experience and I beleive the resort should do something about this issue, it cannot be sanitary to have these birds doing there business everywhere you eat and then eat the left over food on everyones plate after you leave the table a real problem in my view, having said all of that the resort overall is lovely and the staff were great!

Room Tip: Spend more to get more!
1  Thank travelinluv

We always strive to offer amazing vacation experiences and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. It seems we did not meet your expectations in a few areas of our service. We want to ensure that our future guests do not share the same experience. Therefore, your feedback will be sent to our General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Thank you for your review.

Hopefully, we will get the opportunity to welcome you for a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We just got back from our vacation at Sandals Montego Bay and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about it! All of the restaurants were very good and the wait staff was very attentive and a pleasure to be around. OShane waited on our group of 8 throughout a lot of the trip. We couldn't say enough great things about him. He made us feel like we were his main priority and always wanted to make sure we were well taken care of. Robert was our server at the Oleander and treated us very well and was very personable. The playmaker team really made our trip fun and entertaining! They all always had so much energy and did a great job of getting people involved with the daily and nightly entertainment.

In addition to the service, the location was perfect! The view from our room and from the beach was beautiful. The rooms were very clean. Sandals Montego Bay also has a private beach so you feel very safe. I had no complaints and will be returning!

3  Thank aknight1989

Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We love to hear feedback from our guests, especially when the stay was as stellar as yours. It was an honor to have you with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another amazing experience in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!