“Great holiday and outstanding service”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Sherbrooke, Canada
“Great holiday and outstanding service”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Back from our first stay in a Sandals property. We had a wonderful time even with the planes flying very close. The staff is wonderfull, so warm and so serviable. This is a very safe place because of the private beach, we were not afraid to leave personnal belongings on the beach like Iphone or Ipad while we were snorkeling or sailing. The staff remember our name and went above and beyond to satisfy our needs, especialy Kandria and Judian and the lady at the watersport hut.
The food and wine are excellent, room nice and confortable, the only thing subpar are the evening shows. Sandals has to work on that.
A very big thanks to Sandals for helping us out when flight was canceled du to bad weather in Canada. They took us back for an extra night at no charge, that was very appreciated and left us with the desire to return to another Sandals next time!

2 Thank optojv
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're so thrilled to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us. We always strive to create amazing experiences for our guests and I'm so glad this was the case during your visit.

We can't wait to welcome you back in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,226)
Northern Illinois
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Well we just got back last night from our first Sandals trip - no kids :-) , but have been to Jamaica now 4 times. This resort is quaint and not too large to were you are lost. You still feel that you are totally in the Jamaican vibe, which is very important to us. A shout out to Damar on the beach bar and Michael from the playakers. We had dinner at the french and tokyo joes - both were awesome. The only down side was the last day and the rain we had - but in all the times we ave been coming to Jamaica - that was the worst day ever as far as weather as long as we hsve been coming, But oh well.... We still had fun and they were able to set up for the beach party.

We did the party boat - what an AWEOME time - a little more time at Margaritaville would have been nice - but with the 3 hours - had some of the best snorkling I have had ever there in Jamaica, beautiful reef and fish everywhere.

We did purchase a couple pictures from the snapshots, and although expensive they through in a couple frames, so they try to ease some of it. It truly was a great experience. We were in room 520 - it was a concierge walk-out and was great. Maybe a bit smaller than represented in the photos, but enough room for us - and sure - could some upgrades be made yes, but we were in the room to SLEEP... The bed was wonderful so that is all that matters.

Next trip - we will try stewfish -everyone said it was amazing. We are ready to book again after coming home to snow and cold in Chicago.... Already miss it and at this time yesterday werestill there. We did use the Club Mobay, and was only disappointed because the lines for both coming abd going were not long at all and that was the main reason we used it - I tink al together we probably only saved 10 minutes between there and back, but it was still a wonderful service.
Go - enjoy - grab a beach chair and then you do nothing.... That is the point, We will definately be back.

Oh - and the airplanes - were not a bother at all. they are 5 seconds - you wave goodbye and they are gone - did not bother us in the slightest.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We're happy to read that we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay at Sandals Montego Bay. I'm glad you enjoyed our beautiful property, great staff and exciting activities.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back for another amazing vacation in the near future!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We had an amazing meal here tonite. Toni Ann was our server and she treated us like royalty. The food was exquisite. Appetizers to the dessert was a party for the palate. The lasagna and the linguinni alferdo were to die for. We look forward to this experience again.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a beach front room !
1 Thank TomNic2014
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for your great review of the Cucina Romana Restaurant at Sandals Montego Bay. We're delighted to hear you enjoyed your meal and experience here. We look forward to your next visit in the near future!
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was my girlfriends 50th birthday & she wanted a party & I wanted it to be special & within my budget. So what better way than to let her party her heart out & this be her 1st trip to the Caribbean.

This was our 1st trip to the Caribbean & everyone suggested we do all-inclusive. Having seen ads for Sandals, I did inquire with about other all-inclusive resorts,but I decided on Sandals.
So many choices were available I used my AAA travel consultant. The choice we came up with was awesome.
After clearing customs, you are directed to your appropriate area & Sandals has a club at the airport. They give you instructions as to what to do/expect as it relates to transportation to your appropriate resort.
Arriving at Montego Bay we were greeted & directed to check-in. The process is efficient,& we were given a tour of the resort.
We stayed 4 days which was just long enough.
The only reason to leave the resort is if one wants to do some shopping.
There were only 2 blemishes on this trip. Lunch & dinner, we only had 2 choices for a starch,French fries or mashed potatoes. Our door lock went bad the night before we left & the head of maintenance had left & he was the only one with authority to change the lock, therefore the on-duty maintenance lead had to let us in each & every time we needed to get in our room. We had to wait a few minutes for him to show, we couldn't move to another room because they were sold-out.
That being said, Montego Bay is beside tge airport,but except for a few planes taking off, it wasn't a problem.
WE WILL BE RUTURNING SOON!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank nelliewillie
Thank you for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're so glad that your first stay with us was such an extraordinary experience. We love to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests and it's great to hear that we did just that during your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I went to montego bay for our honeymoon this past sept. 2013. First, let me start off by saying-- my trip in general was good. The plane ride was pleasant as far as i can remember. the ONLY part I hated, and I did read about it on reviews!, was that when you get to the airport the locals are VERY pushy. the staff IN the actual airport for sandals was very nice (there is a separate room for sandals customers to stay and its beautiful! beverages and some snacks while you wait for a few minutes for the rest of the visitors to come). Once you leave there, watch out. the locals will nag and be VERY persistent on helping you with your luggage. And when that finally does happen they are not subtle AT ALL about getting their tip. They ask you straight out and open their hands to you. While I know times are rough out there, I did remember that when booking this flight sandals did mention --HEY! leave your tip money at home because you don't have to do that here!. So they make you feel very uncomfortable and one man even went as far as to yell into the bus and say "WE ARE NOT PART OF YOUR PACKAGE. WE LIVE HERE". I think the sandals staff should do a little something about that to help their customers out... its not a nice first impression. ugh... okay enough on that.
The beach itself is BEAUTIFUL. we were there for a week and we did not leave the resort. You do have the option to travel to the other resorts there in Jamaica (2 or 3 different ones I think) I guess in case you wanted a change of scenery or more restaurants as options. The beach was clean and the water clear <3 The food options are great. My favorite BY FAR was Cucina Romana. the service was excellent and the food-- YUM! not to mention is also has a great view.
Bring your bug spray ladies and gents! you will get eaten alive at night and the bugspray and sunblock in the gift shop are Expensive!

The pools were clean and it was not very crowded (when we went atleast) which is a ++ for me. There is a little swim up bar at the pool where they make really good drinks. they dont sell food there though. But the bartender did say "if you take care of me i'll take care of you" so i took that as give me money and i'll grab you food. so if you keep cash in your swim trunks or bikini then you're good to go.

The rooms were mediocre. I was on the bottom floor so it was nice to have a little patio in the back that we could walk out of and there are little lizards at night that you can spot on the wall if you look. I read that there are cats roaming around but I never saw one. We had breakfast out there one morning and it was a DREAM.

The food is good. But free tastes good to me either way. But in all honesty, this whole package was worth it. Not much restaurants are open late. The cricketers pub is open the latest ...around 1 or 2am. It was the regular american food --- fries, onion rings, Shepards pie, burgers-- it was pretty good. Overnight workers like me-- I found this "late night" open not so late night. I think thats one thing they should look into. because theres basically no options if you're starving at 4am.

I read that there were some people that had people coming up to them on the beach offering drugs. i did NOT have the experience fortunately =)
the staff was nice enough. The cleaning lady was quiet (which is a + for me. I'm not one for small talk). Nothing extraordinary about their staff really.

All in all, Jamaica montego bay was a great experience. I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Bottom floors have a little backyard patio that you can leave from also. I loved that.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rosendavi
Thank you for your wonderful review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're so thrilled to read that you had a sensational honeymoon experience with us. It's great to know that you enjoyed our food, gorgeous beach and friendly staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better stay in the future.
Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We at Sandals Montego Bay from Jan 4-11. We had a great time there. The room looked exactly like it did online and the view was amazing. Definitely recommend getting the penthouse level, so that you can enjoy the view. The concierge staff was very accommodating and took care of any dinner reservations, especially Damian who was always in a great mood and helped us out whenever needed. We took the advice from others to book all dinner reservations the first couple of days we were there. I'm glad we did this, because I heard some people, who did not stay in a concierge level room, say that they had a difficult time getting reservations.

The rest of the staff was great and very friendly. I really thought the service was great. I know Sandals is not the cheapest, so with the level of service we received, I definitely feel as if we got our money worth.

We did an excursion one of the days we were there. We did the 4-in-1 combo of The Sky Explorer/Bobsled Ride/Ziplining/Dunn Rivers Fall. The bus ride is about 1 1/2 hours from Montego Bay, but our bus drivers, Mama and Steven, made the ride enjoyable by telling stories, cracking jokes, and teaching us how to speak Jamaican. The trip did take up most of our day, but it was fun, so we were more than okay with it.

Below, I'd like to provide our opinions about each restaurant, as food is always important at an all inclusive resort.

The main breakfast buffet was very good, but it lacked variety from day to day. They offer omelets made-to-order, scrambled eggs, fruit, and your other breakfast norms.

During the lunch time, they offered a buffet in the same location as the breakfast. The food was great and the switched the types of food offered each day. For example, they would offer Jamaican food one day and then South American food the next. The food was great, especially on the Jamaican food day.

While out on the beach you can visit The Mariner for your mid-day snacks or visit Dino's Pizza. Both places offered very good food. We would definitely suggest getting the Jerk Chicken Patty at The Mariner. Damian asked us to try this while he was giving us a tour of the property and I'm so glad we took his advice. It is so tasty. The pizza is cooked using an stone oven, which makes the crust so good.

The Bayside restaurant offered french cuisine and we weren't overly impressed with the food there, but my wife really enjoyed the dessert crepe. We both ordered the filet mignon, and the steak was very tender, but also small.

The Cucina Romana restaurant offers up traditional Italian food. The appetizers of Bruschetta and Fried Calamari were excellent. We both had the King prawns for dinner and found them to be pretty tasty as well. Our server, Camille, was very excellent. I felt bad for her though, because she got stuck with a table of 2 couples, which did not treat her very well at all. We watch as this all went down, but assured Camille that she was doing a great job and thanked her for her service.

The beach party on Monday got moved to inside, due to rainy weather, but that did not put a damper on the food. The was a Jamaican food and seafood festival. The food was just amazing this night. Definitely try all the varieties of jerk meat (chicken, pork, and sausage). I also really enjoyed the rice and beans.

Tuesday night was my favorite meal. We ate at Tokyo Joe's and the food was just awesome. The serving size was really big here as well, as it was the only time I left food on my plate. Just everything about this restaurant was great.

We went and ate at the Royal Thai restaurant at Sandals Royal Caribbean. Just another one of the perks of staying at Sandals Montego Bay, is being able utilize any of the facilities at the other 2 close by Sandals resorts. The Royal Thai is on a private island, which made the appeal of the restaurant even better. We arrived early for our reservations, but they found us a table right away. As with the rest of the restaurants, the food here was delectable as well. We had our best dessert of the trip here. We both ordered the deep fried banana dessert and it was just fantastic.

The next night, after returning from our excursion, we ate at The Oleander Room. The white glove service provided there was top notch. Every course that we had there was just splendid. My wife had the Thermidor style lobster and she was very impressed. I had the coffee rubbed steak and it was by far the best one I had while in Jamaica. They got my dessert order wrong, but overall, this was an excellent dinner.

On our final night, we made sure we had tried every restaurant, so we tried Stew Fish, which is right on the beach. The offer seafood and Jamaican food. My wife tried the lobster there and was also impressed, but not as much as the one she had at The Oleander Room. I ordered the steak here, which was very tasty. I also had to order rice & beans as a side dish, since it was our last night there and I knew I wouldn't be able to find that dish once returning home.

We went kayaking and sailing while there and enjoyed both activities. We also went snorkeling, which we both liked as well, despite getting a little sea sick.

As far as the planes flying over, I definitely agree with previous reviews, that they are very loud, but after the first few, you realize you are in Jamaica and forget about it. We were just so happy to be on such a beautiful beach, that the planes really didn't bother us. They also seem to be more common on the weekends and are less frequent during the week. So, it's like they fly over constantly. Please do not let this discourage you from booking with Sandals Montego Bay. Plus, its only a 5 minute trip from the airport! Trust me, you'll appreciate this, as others have to travel much further before they can start to enjoy their vacation.

The bartenders are funny and the service is incredible. Shout out to Kemon, Whitaker, and Andrew for making great drinks and keeping us laughing.

The entertainment was not always the best, but they did have a couple nights where it was great. One night they had acrobatic performers, a limbo dancer (w/ fire), and a fire dancer. Other nights they had visitor participation, which was quite comical at times. We learned how to do some Jamaican dances another night as well.

We definitely would love to come back here some day and hope it is our cards to do so. Maybe an anniversary trip.

Room Tip: Definitely go with the concierge level in the Almonds building. We had a room 312 and it was great...
4 Thank Shawn W
We're so happy that you had a great honeymoon at Sandals Montego Bay. We always strive to create a romantic experience for Two People in Love and I'm so pleased to see that we met that goal as well as exceeded your expectations during your stay. Thank you for your review!

We can't wait to welcome you back for an anniversary vacation to remember!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 14, 2014

we are multiple return Sandals customers and first time visitors to Sandals Montego Bay. I read the reviews before staying and had a 50/50 expectation. While these aren't the newest Sandals facilities, it doesn't really matter as the staff and food selection and quality more than make up for it. This is the best staff at any of the previous Sandals we've stayed at and would definitely recommend this property and will return ourselves. The Playmakers are off the chart entertaining, engaging and all around personable. I engaged in more games and activities than I have at all my previous Sandals stays combined. Michael, Hartlon, Ruth Ann and Shaleena were over the top. I felt like I had know them for years and was emotional when I left the resort. They took such great care of my family. The front desk upgraded our room to Sandals Club for free and Big Al took care of getting us to our rooms quickly. The bar staff was outstanding and Ron Roy made great efforts to take good care of us each evening. Really I can't say enough good things about Sandals Montego Bay...go, stay, play and have fun, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: There were no bad rooms so anything you get is fine.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Bryan_TerriG
Sounds like you had an excellent stay at Sandals Montego Bay! We're so glad to hear of how much you enjoyed your vacation spent at our resort. Thank you so much for your review. Our staff will be more than thrilled to hear the kind mention.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!