My husband and I went to montego bay for our honeymoon this past sept. 2013. First, let me start off by saying-- my trip in general was good. The plane ride was pleasant as far as i can remember. the ONLY part I hated, and I did read about it on reviews!, was that when you get to the airport the locals are VERY pushy. the staff IN the actual airport for sandals was very nice (there is a separate room for sandals customers to stay and its beautiful! beverages and some snacks while you wait for a few minutes for the rest of the visitors to come). Once you leave there, watch out. the locals will nag and be VERY persistent on helping you with your luggage. And when that finally does happen they are not subtle AT ALL about getting their tip. They ask you straight out and open their hands to you. While I know times are rough out there, I did remember that when booking this flight sandals did mention --HEY! leave your tip money at home because you don't have to do that here!. So they make you feel very uncomfortable and one man even went as far as to yell into the bus and say "WE ARE NOT PART OF YOUR PACKAGE. WE LIVE HERE". I think the sandals staff should do a little something about that to help their customers out... its not a nice first impression. ugh... okay enough on that.
The beach itself is BEAUTIFUL. we were there for a week and we did not leave the resort. You do have the option to travel to the other resorts there in Jamaica (2 or 3 different ones I think) I guess in case you wanted a change of scenery or more restaurants as options. The beach was clean and the water clear <3 The food options are great. My favorite BY FAR was Cucina Romana. the service was excellent and the food-- YUM! not to mention is also has a great view.
Bring your bug spray ladies and gents! you will get eaten alive at night and the bugspray and sunblock in the gift shop are Expensive!
The pools were clean and it was not very crowded (when we went atleast) which is a ++ for me. There is a little swim up bar at the pool where they make really good drinks. they dont sell food there though. But the bartender did say "if you take care of me i'll take care of you" so i took that as give me money and i'll grab you food. so if you keep cash in your swim trunks or bikini then you're good to go.
The rooms were mediocre. I was on the bottom floor so it was nice to have a little patio in the back that we could walk out of and there are little lizards at night that you can spot on the wall if you look. I read that there are cats roaming around but I never saw one. We had breakfast out there one morning and it was a DREAM.
The food is good. But free tastes good to me either way. But in all honesty, this whole package was worth it. Not much restaurants are open late. The cricketers pub is open the latest ...around 1 or 2am. It was the regular american food --- fries, onion rings, Shepards pie, burgers-- it was pretty good. Overnight workers like me-- I found this "late night" open not so late night. I think thats one thing they should look into. because theres basically no options if you're starving at 4am.
I read that there were some people that had people coming up to them on the beach offering drugs. i did NOT have the experience fortunately =)
the staff was nice enough. The cleaning lady was quiet (which is a + for me. I'm not one for small talk). Nothing extraordinary about their staff really.
All in all, Jamaica montego bay was a great experience. I would recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Largest private white sand beach on the north coast •The entertainment capital of the Sandals brand with nightly professional shows and upbeat, active, fun-loving daytime activities. •Six exquisite dining options•Complimentary transfers to Sandals Royal Caribbean and Sandals Carlyle. Enjoy all the luxuries included in our “stay at one, play at three” concept offering 18 dining options •Air-conditioned departure lounge•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandals Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Montego Bay Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Hotel Montego Bay
- Montego Bay Sandals Hotel
- Sandal Montego Bay