“Honeymoon 9/2013”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Honeymoon 9/2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I went to montego bay for our honeymoon this past sept. 2013. First, let me start off by saying-- my trip in general was good. The plane ride was pleasant as far as i can remember. the ONLY part I hated, and I did read about it on reviews!, was that when you get to the airport the locals are VERY pushy. the staff IN the actual airport for sandals was very nice (there is a separate room for sandals customers to stay and its beautiful! beverages and some snacks while you wait for a few minutes for the rest of the visitors to come). Once you leave there, watch out. the locals will nag and be VERY persistent on helping you with your luggage. And when that finally does happen they are not subtle AT ALL about getting their tip. They ask you straight out and open their hands to you. While I know times are rough out there, I did remember that when booking this flight sandals did mention --HEY! leave your tip money at home because you don't have to do that here!. So they make you feel very uncomfortable and one man even went as far as to yell into the bus and say "WE ARE NOT PART OF YOUR PACKAGE. WE LIVE HERE". I think the sandals staff should do a little something about that to help their customers out... its not a nice first impression. ugh... okay enough on that.
The beach itself is BEAUTIFUL. we were there for a week and we did not leave the resort. You do have the option to travel to the other resorts there in Jamaica (2 or 3 different ones I think) I guess in case you wanted a change of scenery or more restaurants as options. The beach was clean and the water clear <3 The food options are great. My favorite BY FAR was Cucina Romana. the service was excellent and the food-- YUM! not to mention is also has a great view.
Bring your bug spray ladies and gents! you will get eaten alive at night and the bugspray and sunblock in the gift shop are Expensive!

The pools were clean and it was not very crowded (when we went atleast) which is a ++ for me. There is a little swim up bar at the pool where they make really good drinks. they dont sell food there though. But the bartender did say "if you take care of me i'll take care of you" so i took that as give me money and i'll grab you food. so if you keep cash in your swim trunks or bikini then you're good to go.

The rooms were mediocre. I was on the bottom floor so it was nice to have a little patio in the back that we could walk out of and there are little lizards at night that you can spot on the wall if you look. I read that there are cats roaming around but I never saw one. We had breakfast out there one morning and it was a DREAM.

The food is good. But free tastes good to me either way. But in all honesty, this whole package was worth it. Not much restaurants are open late. The cricketers pub is open the latest ...around 1 or 2am. It was the regular american food --- fries, onion rings, Shepards pie, burgers-- it was pretty good. Overnight workers like me-- I found this "late night" open not so late night. I think thats one thing they should look into. because theres basically no options if you're starving at 4am.

I read that there were some people that had people coming up to them on the beach offering drugs. i did NOT have the experience fortunately =)
the staff was nice enough. The cleaning lady was quiet (which is a + for me. I'm not one for small talk). Nothing extraordinary about their staff really.

All in all, Jamaica montego bay was a great experience. I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Bottom floors have a little backyard patio that you can leave from also. I loved that.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rosendavi
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're so thrilled to read that you had a sensational honeymoon experience with us. It's great to know that you enjoyed our food, gorgeous beach and friendly staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better stay in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,232)
Prairie Village, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

We at Sandals Montego Bay from Jan 4-11. We had a great time there. The room looked exactly like it did online and the view was amazing. Definitely recommend getting the penthouse level, so that you can enjoy the view. The concierge staff was very accommodating and took care of any dinner reservations, especially Damian who was always in a great mood and helped us out whenever needed. We took the advice from others to book all dinner reservations the first couple of days we were there. I'm glad we did this, because I heard some people, who did not stay in a concierge level room, say that they had a difficult time getting reservations.

The rest of the staff was great and very friendly. I really thought the service was great. I know Sandals is not the cheapest, so with the level of service we received, I definitely feel as if we got our money worth.

We did an excursion one of the days we were there. We did the 4-in-1 combo of The Sky Explorer/Bobsled Ride/Ziplining/Dunn Rivers Fall. The bus ride is about 1 1/2 hours from Montego Bay, but our bus drivers, Mama and Steven, made the ride enjoyable by telling stories, cracking jokes, and teaching us how to speak Jamaican. The trip did take up most of our day, but it was fun, so we were more than okay with it.

Below, I'd like to provide our opinions about each restaurant, as food is always important at an all inclusive resort.

The main breakfast buffet was very good, but it lacked variety from day to day. They offer omelets made-to-order, scrambled eggs, fruit, and your other breakfast norms.

During the lunch time, they offered a buffet in the same location as the breakfast. The food was great and the switched the types of food offered each day. For example, they would offer Jamaican food one day and then South American food the next. The food was great, especially on the Jamaican food day.

While out on the beach you can visit The Mariner for your mid-day snacks or visit Dino's Pizza. Both places offered very good food. We would definitely suggest getting the Jerk Chicken Patty at The Mariner. Damian asked us to try this while he was giving us a tour of the property and I'm so glad we took his advice. It is so tasty. The pizza is cooked using an stone oven, which makes the crust so good.

The Bayside restaurant offered french cuisine and we weren't overly impressed with the food there, but my wife really enjoyed the dessert crepe. We both ordered the filet mignon, and the steak was very tender, but also small.

The Cucina Romana restaurant offers up traditional Italian food. The appetizers of Bruschetta and Fried Calamari were excellent. We both had the King prawns for dinner and found them to be pretty tasty as well. Our server, Camille, was very excellent. I felt bad for her though, because she got stuck with a table of 2 couples, which did not treat her very well at all. We watch as this all went down, but assured Camille that she was doing a great job and thanked her for her service.

The beach party on Monday got moved to inside, due to rainy weather, but that did not put a damper on the food. The was a Jamaican food and seafood festival. The food was just amazing this night. Definitely try all the varieties of jerk meat (chicken, pork, and sausage). I also really enjoyed the rice and beans.

Tuesday night was my favorite meal. We ate at Tokyo Joe's and the food was just awesome. The serving size was really big here as well, as it was the only time I left food on my plate. Just everything about this restaurant was great.

We went and ate at the Royal Thai restaurant at Sandals Royal Caribbean. Just another one of the perks of staying at Sandals Montego Bay, is being able utilize any of the facilities at the other 2 close by Sandals resorts. The Royal Thai is on a private island, which made the appeal of the restaurant even better. We arrived early for our reservations, but they found us a table right away. As with the rest of the restaurants, the food here was delectable as well. We had our best dessert of the trip here. We both ordered the deep fried banana dessert and it was just fantastic.

The next night, after returning from our excursion, we ate at The Oleander Room. The white glove service provided there was top notch. Every course that we had there was just splendid. My wife had the Thermidor style lobster and she was very impressed. I had the coffee rubbed steak and it was by far the best one I had while in Jamaica. They got my dessert order wrong, but overall, this was an excellent dinner.

On our final night, we made sure we had tried every restaurant, so we tried Stew Fish, which is right on the beach. The offer seafood and Jamaican food. My wife tried the lobster there and was also impressed, but not as much as the one she had at The Oleander Room. I ordered the steak here, which was very tasty. I also had to order rice & beans as a side dish, since it was our last night there and I knew I wouldn't be able to find that dish once returning home.

We went kayaking and sailing while there and enjoyed both activities. We also went snorkeling, which we both liked as well, despite getting a little sea sick.

As far as the planes flying over, I definitely agree with previous reviews, that they are very loud, but after the first few, you realize you are in Jamaica and forget about it. We were just so happy to be on such a beautiful beach, that the planes really didn't bother us. They also seem to be more common on the weekends and are less frequent during the week. So, it's like they fly over constantly. Please do not let this discourage you from booking with Sandals Montego Bay. Plus, its only a 5 minute trip from the airport! Trust me, you'll appreciate this, as others have to travel much further before they can start to enjoy their vacation.

The bartenders are funny and the service is incredible. Shout out to Kemon, Whitaker, and Andrew for making great drinks and keeping us laughing.

The entertainment was not always the best, but they did have a couple nights where it was great. One night they had acrobatic performers, a limbo dancer (w/ fire), and a fire dancer. Other nights they had visitor participation, which was quite comical at times. We learned how to do some Jamaican dances another night as well.

We definitely would love to come back here some day and hope it is our cards to do so. Maybe an anniversary trip.

Room Tip: Definitely go with the concierge level in the Almonds building. We had a room 312 and it was great...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shawn W
We're so happy that you had a great honeymoon at Sandals Montego Bay. We always strive to create a romantic experience for Two People in Love and I'm so pleased to see that we met that goal as well as exceeded your expectations during your stay. Thank you for your review!

We can't wait to welcome you back for an anniversary vacation to remember!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

we are multiple return Sandals customers and first time visitors to Sandals Montego Bay. I read the reviews before staying and had a 50/50 expectation. While these aren't the newest Sandals facilities, it doesn't really matter as the staff and food selection and quality more than make up for it. This is the best staff at any of the previous Sandals we've stayed at and would definitely recommend this property and will return ourselves. The Playmakers are off the chart entertaining, engaging and all around personable. I engaged in more games and activities than I have at all my previous Sandals stays combined. Michael, Hartlon, Ruth Ann and Shaleena were over the top. I felt like I had know them for years and was emotional when I left the resort. They took such great care of my family. The front desk upgraded our room to Sandals Club for free and Big Al took care of getting us to our rooms quickly. The bar staff was outstanding and Ron Roy made great efforts to take good care of us each evening. Really I can't say enough good things about Sandals Montego Bay...go, stay, play and have fun, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: There were no bad rooms so anything you get is fine.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Bryan_TerriG
Sounds like you had an excellent stay at Sandals Montego Bay! We're so glad to hear of how much you enjoyed your vacation spent at our resort. Thank you so much for your review. Our staff will be more than thrilled to hear the kind mention.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

My wife n I stayed at this resort for our honeymoon. We reserved a walkout beachfront room. When we checked in we were given a walkout ocean view room. A little disappointed. We also were supposed to have a honeymoon package with Rose pedals and champagne on our bed which we never received. Also the airplanes flying over were an annoyance but that's something we feel our travel agent should have informed us of. The rooms were also very outdated and our room had a big stain next to the bed and looked like it was where a previous guest might have gotten sick.

The people were unbelievable. Some of the most genuinely friendly people you could meet. The staff did a great job getting everyone involved in activities. The staff is not allowed to accept tips but often times they are expecting one.

The food was great. Everything from the lobster to the jerk chicken. The beach was clean and there is a decent amount to do at the beach.

We did feel the drinks were watered down and the bar hours were not convenient. Open late closed early.

Overall our expectations were higher then what were met. With the issues with our room, the airplanes,and bar hours. I think my wife n I would be hesitant to stay at this resort again. We definitely didn't feel we got The most bang for our buck.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Chase-N-Tail
Telford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Rob & Anna, We did have a very good time, Staff were amazing, I don’t think I have enjoyed myself so much, played most of the games with the Playmakers, Food excellent, returning guest night was brilliant and entertaining, met some wonderful people, Kelly and Ron, Kim and Paul, it was lovely to see Mr Gerald Christ again, Marc was a great help to us, Duncan from soon come back desk, Tevin the waiter even came out in the pouring rain to give us a drink in the Jacuzzi, Kenneth what a great man/bartender, Kaudin Salmon from Tokyo Joes should be a Butler, she is courteous, well spoken and very professional she will go far with Sandals if they spot her. Michael is nuts, fantastic, funny, and gets everyone up doing things he has an infectious nature, perfect for the job as playmaker. This has been my best holiday ever, cannot wait to go back. thank you

Room Tip: You have to see it to belive it, its an amazing place thanks to all the staff
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PepsiTelford
East Moline, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Went to this resort for a friends wedding. I will say that the food was way better than I expected. The staff were welcoming and helpful. The drinks were good, just make sure you ask for the "good" stuff if you want the "upper shelf" goods. I was a little disappointed that you had to make reservations for the decent restaurants and they were booked full when we were there, only got to try two :(. Although we were literally 10 min away from the airport, which was a nice idea....however you heard EVERY plane :( the wedding ceremony literally was paused to wait for a large plane to fly overhead. Recommend this place if you want to get away and be spoiled but not overwhelmed! ps the spa was worth every penny!

Room Tip: Ocean side room with free wifi...but dont let them take away your room service! we had wifi even on...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravelRN2011
Wapello, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I'm a bride who recently stayed at Sandals Montego Bay, bringing 38 guests to the resort to celebrate my wedding. Here is my review.

We never received A BUBBLY WELCOME: A bottle of chilled sparkling wine elegantly arranged in your room upon arrival to toast your future.

I had a balance of 405 dollars of wedding credit that was never used. I asked to use it for the bubbly bites gourmet celebration, but no one knew what that was. It was to late to book the catamarn cruise or make a video or rent a cabana. I had also planned to use it on a soon come back stay, but decided not to as I no longer had the desire to return.

I called my sister to tell her when dinner reservations were for the night and she said she called for hair conditioner and they were gonna deliver it to her room within the next 30 minutes. I called her an hour later saying I was ready and we could meet for drinks at bar before dinner reservations. She said no one ever brought hair conditioner. So, I brought her mine.

The day we departed a worker approached me stating my sand from sand ceremony, cake and beach bag were at main desk for me to pick up. I believed her. Upon departing I went to pick it up, the only thing there was a beach bag (gift from sandals). Needless to say I chose to miss my bus to airport waiting for my things. I spoke with 5 different people including a CEO during this time, because I was getting the run around on where my things were and if anyone was even looking. Finally I made the decision to leave the things and take a cab to airport, as no one was telling me anything and seemed to not care.

The group with me wanted to play pool volleyball. We waited around the main pool the time it was to take place, but nothing ever happened. We found a playmaker and asked if we could play. He was playing cards privately with a non sandals lady, stating they already played and we could not. What a lie we were there. We took a bus to royal carribean where playmaker Kermit was fabulous and allowed us to play pool volleyball.

The day of my wedding I was informed my wedding flowers did not arrive. They gave me other options. I ended up liking the flowers better, so It worked out.

Prior to our wedding we were asked to choose a special cocktail for our wedding dinner recepetion. During the reception we ordered the cocktail, but no one knew what we were talking about. They finally stated it was to special, they did not have the ingredients to make it.

As bride and groom we were told we would get a room upgrade, this did not happen. People with us, who had never been to a sandals had better rooms. Bath tubs with jets, bigger rooms, ground level, etc.

My parents have been to multiple sandals and were also, in a room like us. My dad just had a hip replacement and had to walk stairs as there room was on second story. My mother explained they had been to sandals before and asked for an upgrade or just a ground level room, but was told they could not do that.

On my wedding day I was sitting at beach bar, talking to my bridesmaid telling her when her hair appt. was and where to meet to get ready. A playmaker was going around getting people to attend his reggage dance lesson. He got in my face with his microphone and told me to shuttup he was the man of the hour, what you think I'm rude, etc. I have no idea why, I did nothing to him, I just sat there and took it quitely feeling embarrased and unsure why I was singled out.

We ate breakfast at bayside, and at least 2 mornings we were finished with our breakfast before we ever got the beverage we asked for. I also heard this complaint from other guests from my party.

Petria the waitress we had at Tokyo Jos was awesome.

I was suppose to speak with a wedding planner in Nov. from sandals, but never heard from one. I was just calling the bridal hotline asking questions, because I did not know what to do. Finally they figured out that I had slipped through the cracks and less than 30 days before my wedding I spoke with a wedding planner. Of course things should have been finalized long before, so the pressure was on to make decisions. I had 20 rooms booked, but they only had 19 rooms. That one room made a big difference on what free things were included. It was a nightmare to get any answers. It took contacting multiple people.

The piano bar was suppose to have a bar invasion according the daily schedule of events. So, we told everyone to meet there. When we got there nothing was going on. We asked the bartender if they were having the bar invasion, he did not know what we were talking about.

With the number of guests booked for my wedding I qualified for a free maincure/pedicure. They asked what I wanted when I got to the spa. I did a french mainucre/pedicure. Needless to say it was not free at the end I was charged 40 dollars. I was told after the fact if I did a solid color it would have been free.

I dropped part of an ice cream cone in the the bathroom in our room. It took 2 days before the cleaning service cleaned it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
16 Thank Eden H
We're so sorry to hear that you had this experience at our resort. It is our highest priority that our guests have amazing experiences with us and anything less than stellar calls for improvement on our part.

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and showcase the luxurious experience for which we are known during a future visit.