“2nd visit to this AMAZING place!!!”

and 1 more site!
Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Our first visit to Sandals Montego Bay was in Oct 2011. Our stay on this visit was Oct 24-31st.

This place is just amazing. One cannot put it into words and it is tough to explain, if you have never experienced it. Jamaican people are LOVELY. The staff at Sandals Montego Bay are unlike any other we have ever encountered and you can see from all of my reviews, we travel frequently and all over. The people at this place treat you like you are truly home. They wait on you hand and foot, without you even asking and expecting NOTHING but your good time in return. The staff here genuinely cares if you are enjoying your stay. I know you are thinking, it can't be that great, but it is. On this trip we encountered ONE, ONLY ONE, less than friendly person within the Sandals staff. I will not put them on blast here, I have sent an email to customer service at Sandals and that is the appropriate thing to do.

First, a couple of things I want to address.....PLEASE READ THIS!!!!! This resort IS just in the back of the airport and airstrip. It is literally a stones throw, so if you choose this resort, do not then get on here or any other place and put up bad reviews because the airplanes are loud. Of course they are load, they are JET PLANES. The trade off for me is we were wheels on the ground 11:50 and in our room by 1:00. I was sitting in the concierge check in office with a cold drink in my hand by 12:30. This is after going through customs (there were 3 flights that landed within 15 mins of each other so this was not the quickest process in the world), retrieving our luggage, riding to the resort, dropping luggage and walking in the air conditioned office. I will gladly listen to airplanes so I can have my toes in the sand in the shortest amount of time as humanely possible. With that, they do not fly superduper early and stop around 8 or so each evening. It is fun to wave good bye to the planes and count the days until they are waving good bye to you. So again, don't choose this resort only to come on here and complain about airplane noise.

The food was good on our last visit. Make your reservations when you first get there. Think about where you want to eat BEFORE you get there. I have a template that have the daily activities on it and the nightly entertainment info, this may help you make some decisions before you get there so you can just hand it over when you get there. That is what I did this time and it made it really easy. If you want it, PM me. Keep in mind it can change BUT in all honesty, it hadn't in the two years since we were there. PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND - depending on when you travel and the capacity of the resort, these two things determine how many people they sit and reservations they take.....if it is off season, they are likely not going fully staff every restaurant. Empty tables does not mean they are not busy, it means they are only staffed for a certain number of tables. So do not act like you are 3 years old when you do not make your reservations, see empty tables but can't be seated. If eating at places that require reservations is important to you, BE PROACTIVE and make them early. Do blame others for your short sidedness. With that, understand they know weekly what their capacity will be, and they staff accordingly, this is not the Holiday Inn, Sandals is about personal service. If you want cookie cutter, go somewhere else.

Sandals MoBay is the flagship Sandals resort. It is old, but updated and more than comfortable. The food is good, the atmosphere is fun. Yes, Sandals is about couples and romance but I think it is important to understand that among the Sandals resorts, MoBay is considered the party location. This, in our opinion is true. You can be as romantic as you want to be. You can have all the romance there is to offer with moonlight dinner on the beach, flower petals in the room, warm bubble baths and champagne...it is all there and readily available. BUT, there is also a lot of play time. Myself and my significant other love to play. We are both competitors, both as a couple and against each other. WE LOVE TO PLAY, it does not matter what it is, checkers, cards, jinga, water volleyball, tag, volleyball, Minute to Win it.....if there can be a winner and a loser, we are in. We met competing and it has been a part of our lives since childhood and continues in our adulthood. You can choose to be as romantic as you like and/or as playful as you like. You will find both easily. Both the first time and this stay, we met many couples like us that love to play, party, laugh, dance and just have a good time. But we have also met some couples that we saw only occasionally that care only to dine by candlelight and enjoy only each others company, that is totally cool here too. You will never be pushed to do anything you do not want to do and they will accommodate most any wish you have. If you play with the Playmakers, you earn points. The more points you earn the more swag you can get. Sandals necklaces, other wares and yes, Rum. Many do not realize you can earn points for the various activities each day, but you do, that is why they ask your name and room number. With that, the Playmakers are WONDERFUL. While we were disappointed only a few were remaining from our first trip, we made fast friends with the "newer" playmakers and looked forward to them daily. It is important that everyone understand that the Playmakers work 16-18 hours daily. They are up and out playing by 9am every day and they are responsible for the nightly entertainment every night. Often times, after the nightly entertainment you will find them in the auditorium rehearsing for an upcoming performance....they will even show up late in the night at the Cricketer to hang with their new friends. They are ALWAYS on and they smile and love it.

I know this is long, but I want to provide good information for those that are doing their homework. I studied resorts and Tripadvisor for months before I picked Montego Bay. I am so happy I did. While I knew what to expect, it was so much better than expected. I love this place. As I mentioned, we love to play, on our 3rd day in, I twisted and dislocated my left knee playing water volleyball. I was not going to let this destroy my vacation. Thankfully Romario had a knee brace I was able to borrow, and I had some paid medication that I was able to take. In all the stuff I had, I did not have advil for inflammation, however, several guests provided what was needed. Particularly there was a couple from Ireland originally but now from Orlando that crossed our path the first night this happened. We had been down to dinner and it was simply swelling too much for me to stay up on it and we were headed back to our room on the THIRD floor of the Almonds Building. They kindly asked me what happened, I explained and they insisted I stay right there until they got me some advil. Between that advil every 6 hours, the brace and the cream that Romario had given me, I was much better the next day. I spent my days lounging by the pool, I could hobble to the pool and bathroom and someone was always bringing me something to drink. I was completely fine. Every staff member that crossed my path asked if I was ok, doing better, or if there was anything they could do or get me. I mean EVERYONE, even one of the chefs. I was well taken care of and looked after both by new friends and the wonderful staff of Sandals. Honestly, they were as bummed out as I was that there would be no more activities for the week for me. Happy to say, no surgery for now, doing some physical therapy and healing each day. Many ask how or why, well I play sports for 22 years, simply wear and tear.

In closing, we love this place. We love the people that work here, we love the people we meet here, we love new friends and old friends from this place. We will always travel other places because there is simply so much to see, but we will ALWAYS come back home :) We rebooked for 10 days in November 2014. We are looking forward to spending Thanksgiving in MoBay next year.

Room Tip: We love the Almonds Building. They are renaming the room levels but the Almonds building on the 2nd...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Kiym
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

We're thrilled to see that we were able to not only meet but also exceed your expectations the second time around. We love to hear our guests boast about their amazing vacations, especially our return guests. Thank you so much for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you home next year!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,654)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is the original Sandals resort from which all the others sprang. As you can imagine, it is not the most modern establishment but they have maintained it well, despite a few areas showing their age. The resort is fairly small and compact and it sits at the end of the runway for Montego Bay Airport. The upside of this is that the transfer from the airport to the resort is just a few minutes. You can guess the downside!

All the restaurants are good, though the main dining room's buffet selections became very samey very quickly. Our choice as best restaurant was the traditional Jamaican one, which was outstanding.

One real annoyance here was that every morning when we got to the beach early we were the only ones there and yet all the sunbeds and shaded areas had already been reserved by other guests' butlers (we did not book a butler room - perhaps we should have!). To be sitting there seeing these prime locations being unused all morning was very irritating.

Nevertheless, our stay was made most enjoyable by the staff, who were without exception friendly and helpful. The bars were fun and the full (included) mini bars in the rooms made life very easy!

Room Tip: Consider booking a butler room - we would if we were to visit again. They help with packing/unpackin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CJWWW

We're glad you had such a great time at Sandals Montego Bay. We always strive to offer amazing experiences and we certainly hope that you return for an even better stay in the future. Thank you so much for your review!

Happy Travels!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I were given this trip for a present from her parents. At first we were a bit skeptical because it was Jamaica and we read some of the reviews. When we go there we both found that the reviews are all wrong.

Pros -
Close to the airport, however this can also be a serious con (but maybe 15 jets fly over a day that really are loud and bug you).
The staff was wonderful all the way around
The fact there were no kids
All the activities they have available for you
The excursions - I wouldn't recommend doing the long trip to Dunns River Falls and Mystic Mountain hung over or if you where looking for a relaxing time. Very nice to see Jamaica but to give up 10 hours of the day was a bit much. The booze cruise and snorkeling was fun
The room was great - fully stocked bar, close to the entertainment, and very clean. We had a "walk out beach room" and it was not on the beach nor could we really see it but we where close to all the action so it was just as fun for us
concierge service - is a must, you don't do the normal check and your bar is stocked, you also get free wifi which is great because we did all of our texting through facebook chat so we didnt have any international fees
Couples dinner- totally worth it, private dinner on the beach
Beach Party - this was the first night we got there so we were a bit shy but we met several people. They make it the only thing open so you have to join everyone (which I think is a great plus)
Food - the food was pretty good at the Cucina and Tokyo Joes, Tokyos is a stir fry not a hibatchi, drinks were better then most inclusive resorts
Other resorts - you could go to other resorts in the Sandals chain
Property - it over all was very well kept

Cons - This property is older but they have taken care of it. You can tell its not super modern and its a not a mega resort. The pools are not top notch but I don't go to the beach for the pools. The airport being close but you get use to it. The price for pictures and excursions are high but this is typical

Overall we felt safe, the people were amazing, the beach and water were outstanding and we had a blast. I would recommend this to anyone looking around Jamaica for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MikeWhitDfw

Thanks so much for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're happy to see you had a wonderful vacation with us. Seems like you enjoyed every minute of your vacation. We can't wait to offer you another great stay in the future!

Happy Travels!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Montego bay for four nights late october. Had a great time! We had a first floor walk out right by Stewfish. Perfect location to the beach. The first floor walkout couldnt have been more convenient. Beach was great and we even swam into the evening as it was so nice and warm. We ate at Tokyo Joes (sushi was blah but rest was good), Stewfish (our favorite to sit on beach), and Cucina. We thought the food was all good overall. We didnt try Oleander because of the pants policy and we just didnt care to wear pants when you have other options. Breakfast buffet was good too. I called ahead to make reservations for dinners. They didnt want to do it but in the end I won. Loved the piano bar and cricketeers. Staff were great. Check in, check out...all no problem. Would go back for sure especially since its so close to the airport. We also enjoyed snorkeling. Those boys were very efficient on getting us out to snorkel and back. Loved it.
My only thing to mention as a drawback is that nobody could answer a question...and if they did, it was not to be taken as true. I accidentally called housekeeping (meant to call front desk but thought they could answer my question) and asked where the ice machine was. Housekeeping had to transfer me, she didnt know. Front desk said on the end of each building. I went there and there was no ice. Called again...she said maybe go up or down a floor. Ok I did and found a crummy cooler that i had to chizzle ice out of. No big deal but that is how all of our questions went. Nobody could answer a question unless it was their exact job. Wierd. I asked the girl working at the jerk chicken lunch place if a table was open and she shrugged. She was on the grill side not pizza so she couldnt help us or tell us who to ask. I asked the girl working watersports how much the catamaran tour was and she said i had to go to the lobby to find out. Ok really, nobody has asked that and you work in the watersports hut. It just seemed like they were not working together. I asked for water one day and the girl i asked sent me to somebody else who sent me to a third party to show me where the self serve water was....all minor but just annoying. Maybe just cultural differences and not a big deal at all but maybe something they could work on.
Yes we would love to go back and hopefully will.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sjsMilwaukee
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I just got home from a 6 night 7 day trip at this resort and from the minute we arrived everything was perfect. The employees are amazing and really go out of your way to make you feel welcome! By day 2 we were speaking their tounge and had made friends with almost every member on the staff. Food was spectacular! You can not go to this resort and not love every second of your trip! Highly recommend this resort and my boyfriend and I are already looking into our trip back :)

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Every year my husband and I look forward to our annual trip to sandals, we always have a great time, this visit to Sandals Montego Bay was amazing, the moment we arrived the staff welcomed us with a wonderful island welcome. Big Al is amazing, this guy is very friendly he remembered our names and went out of his way to make sure our needs we met. Duncan the "soon come back desk" manager is awesome, she was very helpful when she booked our next years (2014) trip, The food was great. One thing I did not like is that the restaurants were all booked up or closed. So for the four days we were there we did not get a chance to eat at some of the restaurants we would have liked to try. Our room upgrade was fabulous the view was to die for, could not asked for a better view. By far the staff at this resort is the best I have seen at sandals, from the General Manager to our house keeper Cameron... Thank you for a wonderful trip

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

We really appreciate you posting about your wonderful stay at Sandals Montego Bay! Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve. I will be sure to forward your kind comments to our General Manager and staff.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to you visiting with us next year!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Great resort! The beach is really nice at this property and the food in typical Sandals fashion is of a high standard.
The rooms are really nice, even though the numerous room categories can be overwhelming.
The staff is very attentive and the grounds super clean.
Bonus, the resort is so close to the airport so no long transfer. Definitely recommend this superb resort.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank traveller32canada

Thank you so much for posting your review of Sandals Montego Bay. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and it's good to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations.

We hope that you visit us again in the future!