“Resort is aging pretty well”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Resort is aging pretty well”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is the original Sandals resort from which all the others sprang. As you can imagine, it is not the most modern establishment but they have maintained it well, despite a few areas showing their age. The resort is fairly small and compact and it sits at the end of the runway for Montego Bay Airport. The upside of this is that the transfer from the airport to the resort is just a few minutes. You can guess the downside!

All the restaurants are good, though the main dining room's buffet selections became very samey very quickly. Our choice as best restaurant was the traditional Jamaican one, which was outstanding.

One real annoyance here was that every morning when we got to the beach early we were the only ones there and yet all the sunbeds and shaded areas had already been reserved by other guests' butlers (we did not book a butler room - perhaps we should have!). To be sitting there seeing these prime locations being unused all morning was very irritating.

Nevertheless, our stay was made most enjoyable by the staff, who were without exception friendly and helpful. The bars were fun and the full (included) mini bars in the rooms made life very easy!

Room Tip: Consider booking a butler room - we would if we were to visit again. They help with packing/unpackin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CJWWW
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
We're glad you had such a great time at Sandals Montego Bay. We always strive to offer amazing experiences and we certainly hope that you return for an even better stay in the future. Thank you so much for your review!

Happy Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,267)
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I were given this trip for a present from her parents. At first we were a bit skeptical because it was Jamaica and we read some of the reviews. When we go there we both found that the reviews are all wrong.

Pros -
Close to the airport, however this can also be a serious con (but maybe 15 jets fly over a day that really are loud and bug you).
The staff was wonderful all the way around
The fact there were no kids
All the activities they have available for you
The excursions - I wouldn't recommend doing the long trip to Dunns River Falls and Mystic Mountain hung over or if you where looking for a relaxing time. Very nice to see Jamaica but to give up 10 hours of the day was a bit much. The booze cruise and snorkeling was fun
The room was great - fully stocked bar, close to the entertainment, and very clean. We had a "walk out beach room" and it was not on the beach nor could we really see it but we where close to all the action so it was just as fun for us
concierge service - is a must, you don't do the normal check and your bar is stocked, you also get free wifi which is great because we did all of our texting through facebook chat so we didnt have any international fees
Couples dinner- totally worth it, private dinner on the beach
Beach Party - this was the first night we got there so we were a bit shy but we met several people. They make it the only thing open so you have to join everyone (which I think is a great plus)
Food - the food was pretty good at the Cucina and Tokyo Joes, Tokyos is a stir fry not a hibatchi, drinks were better then most inclusive resorts
Other resorts - you could go to other resorts in the Sandals chain
Property - it over all was very well kept

Cons - This property is older but they have taken care of it. You can tell its not super modern and its a not a mega resort. The pools are not top notch but I don't go to the beach for the pools. The airport being close but you get use to it. The price for pictures and excursions are high but this is typical

Overall we felt safe, the people were amazing, the beach and water were outstanding and we had a blast. I would recommend this to anyone looking around Jamaica for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MikeWhitDfw
Thanks so much for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're happy to see you had a wonderful vacation with us. Seems like you enjoyed every minute of your vacation. We can't wait to offer you another great stay in the future!

Happy Travels!
milwaukee
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Montego bay for four nights late october. Had a great time! We had a first floor walk out right by Stewfish. Perfect location to the beach. The first floor walkout couldnt have been more convenient. Beach was great and we even swam into the evening as it was so nice and warm. We ate at Tokyo Joes (sushi was blah but rest was good), Stewfish (our favorite to sit on beach), and Cucina. We thought the food was all good overall. We didnt try Oleander because of the pants policy and we just didnt care to wear pants when you have other options. Breakfast buffet was good too. I called ahead to make reservations for dinners. They didnt want to do it but in the end I won. Loved the piano bar and cricketeers. Staff were great. Check in, check out...all no problem. Would go back for sure especially since its so close to the airport. We also enjoyed snorkeling. Those boys were very efficient on getting us out to snorkel and back. Loved it.
My only thing to mention as a drawback is that nobody could answer a question...and if they did, it was not to be taken as true. I accidentally called housekeeping (meant to call front desk but thought they could answer my question) and asked where the ice machine was. Housekeeping had to transfer me, she didnt know. Front desk said on the end of each building. I went there and there was no ice. Called again...she said maybe go up or down a floor. Ok I did and found a crummy cooler that i had to chizzle ice out of. No big deal but that is how all of our questions went. Nobody could answer a question unless it was their exact job. Wierd. I asked the girl working at the jerk chicken lunch place if a table was open and she shrugged. She was on the grill side not pizza so she couldnt help us or tell us who to ask. I asked the girl working watersports how much the catamaran tour was and she said i had to go to the lobby to find out. Ok really, nobody has asked that and you work in the watersports hut. It just seemed like they were not working together. I asked for water one day and the girl i asked sent me to somebody else who sent me to a third party to show me where the self serve water was....all minor but just annoying. Maybe just cultural differences and not a big deal at all but maybe something they could work on.
Yes we would love to go back and hopefully will.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sjsMilwaukee
Plainville, Connecticut
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I just got home from a 6 night 7 day trip at this resort and from the minute we arrived everything was perfect. The employees are amazing and really go out of your way to make you feel welcome! By day 2 we were speaking their tounge and had made friends with almost every member on the staff. Food was spectacular! You can not go to this resort and not love every second of your trip! Highly recommend this resort and my boyfriend and I are already looking into our trip back :)

• Stayed November 2013
RIU Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Every year my husband and I look forward to our annual trip to sandals, we always have a great time, this visit to Sandals Montego Bay was amazing, the moment we arrived the staff welcomed us with a wonderful island welcome. Big Al is amazing, this guy is very friendly he remembered our names and went out of his way to make sure our needs we met. Duncan the "soon come back desk" manager is awesome, she was very helpful when she booked our next years (2014) trip, The food was great. One thing I did not like is that the restaurants were all booked up or closed. So for the four days we were there we did not get a chance to eat at some of the restaurants we would have liked to try. Our room upgrade was fabulous the view was to die for, could not asked for a better view. By far the staff at this resort is the best I have seen at sandals, from the General Manager to our house keeper Cameron... Thank you for a wonderful trip

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
We really appreciate you posting about your wonderful stay at Sandals Montego Bay! Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve. I will be sure to forward your kind comments to our General Manager and staff.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to you visiting with us next year!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Great resort! The beach is really nice at this property and the food in typical Sandals fashion is of a high standard.
The rooms are really nice, even though the numerous room categories can be overwhelming.
The staff is very attentive and the grounds super clean.
Bonus, the resort is so close to the airport so no long transfer. Definitely recommend this superb resort.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank traveller32canada
Thank you so much for posting your review of Sandals Montego Bay. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and it's good to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations.

We hope that you visit us again in the future!
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband Jerry and I stayed at this resort and the resort was all of that and more. The concierge and the bartenders help make a wonderful trip fantastic. Our Concierge was Christopher , Christopher made sure we were comfortable from the time time we stepped into the concierge suite to check all the way to our departure where he took time to come find us on the resort to let us know our bus was leaving. Christopher made us feel like we were at home he remembered our name and always called us by name which really stands out at a resort of that magnitude. Our bartender was Maestro , Maestro also made us feel like we were at home, Maestro remembered our preference in drink selection and made sure to find us on my birthday to surprise me with a slice of cake while we were dinning. Sandals is a brand name and if they want to keep it a brand I highly recommend that they keep employees such as Christopher and Maestro who acted more like stake holders rather than just hourly employees. When you see people smiling as they work and happy to assist you it makes your trip worth while. The resort was beautiful our room was great I would recommend the ocean view honeymoon suite with concierge service. Our next trip we would love to try the butler rooms and hopefully we could have Christopher as our butler and Maestro as our personal bartender! We took time out to give accolades to these employees and resort because they helped make our trip wonderful and one we will never forget. We will be regular guest as long as we can enjoy service that we received this past trip. Also , Damien the concierge employee was very helpful and assisted us with all of our needs as well. Sorry I added so many names but once you go and meet these gentlemen you will understand why !!! Thank you from Mr&Mrs.Gardner

Room Tip: Select the ocean front honeymoon suite with concierge service. Rooms are fully stocked with alcohol...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Candice G
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. I'm so happy that we were able to make your trip so amazing and one to remember! No stress, no worries and friendly faces, we love to make our guests feel at home. I will be sure to share your review with our staff. They will be so glad to hear of your kind mention.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another fantastic trip!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!