“BETTER THAN BEFORE”

Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Las Vegas, Nevada
“BETTER THAN BEFORE”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We were lucky enough to get first-class tickets on Delta via Atlanta to SMB. We had a red-eye with a 2-1/2 hour layover before getting to SMB at 11:30 am. Customs & Immigration weren't too terribly bad. We had about a 10 minute wait at the Lounge then to the resort. We were there at 12:25. We were advised to identify our luggage and continue to the concierge lounge.

** I really think that a place with so many butler suites should have a "Butler Lounge". We did our paperwork and were advised to wait for Craig, our butler.

In the meanwhile I had a champagne and DH requested a shot of Jack and Alford showed up to say hello. We hadn't seen him since the fire at his house so we got a chance to see how his family was doing. He is still wearing a smile. Craig came to meet us and he told us that our room wasn't ready. We hung out at the lobby bar and declined the resort tour. In about an hour our room was ready and we were able to change into our bathing suits.

We were in cottage 8, room 851 and it was exactly what I wanted! It was between the main beach area and the piano bar. Perfect! The room was very nice with a separate living room from the bedroom and a wooden bar area. Everything was very comfortable but the bathroom is not the one shown on the website. It didn't matter to us but I have seen this complaint on the website before about the Bay Roc suites.

Our butlers were Asha & Craig. I loved them. They were extremely attentive and just sweethearts. I had an extensive conversation with Glenroy about customer service and what it takes to offer a guest a great experience. He's the right guy for that job. After all of the things I have heard about the butlers at SMB and how intrusive they are, I was very pleasantly surprised to find this NOT to be the case.

We had reservations made by the butlers for all week.....we only went once to Royal Thai. The butlers were shocked when we did because we actually took the time relax and enjoy each other for a change. We work opposite shifts so we slept in every day. We went from out spot on the beach to the pool bar and back most days. Afternoon nap, dinner in the room, late night at the pub (NBA finals were still going on) and then the piano bar until bed. Mr. Zellner was there to watch the games. I found him to be very charming and amusing.

We haven't been here in 8 years so I have to say that it is a much nicer property than last time with lots of new additions. My hubby was disappointed not to be able to find a hammock though. The fire pits and the areas around them are very nice as are the improvements to both pools.

Saw Dawn Smith and she looks absolutely beautiful. Congratulated her on her promotion and the fact that the place looks great. Met lots of very nice couples from all over the US & Canada.

Food:

We liked the older style of the Jerk chicken that wasn't so saucy. I know that Sandals has their own brand now but I still liked the other better.
We approve of the new Bayside menu. DH had lamb chops every day except one in the room.
Stewfish was good (the stuff we got brought to the room).
Buffet was good, as usual and dinner buffet had some good looking stuff like grilled pork chops.
Pizza was good and of course quesadillas and meat patties.

Bars:
All good. Tough to find Absolut, they had Finlandia. Hubby drank Jack and I drank Appleton. I saw Crown, Jim Beam, Chivas, JW Red & Black, What cracked me up was Pepe Lopez tequila!

We got a driver and went out to the Pelican Bar. That was quite an experience. I quite enjoyed it.

We had great weather the whole time,only one afternoon of rain. I'm sure I forgot something. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Room Tip: Do "you"
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Mommystyle
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. It's so great to read that you had such an amazing stay at our resort. Asha and Craig are two of our best butlers and we're so glad they made your stay so much better.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another wonderful experience in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,244)
white rock bc
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I always check out the reviews on trip advisor because we miss Sandals Montego Bay as soon as we leave it and cannot wait until we return. We received our free Sandals week two trips ago, so this indicates how much we love it there. We have been coming to Jamaica for 35 years and no easy trip. We live in Vancouver, Canada so basically two days travelling there and back. We have stayed in Sandals properties all over the island and then went to Sandals Montego Bay and have never gone anywhere else. The feeling of coming home to all our special friends we have made over the years, the service, the resort itself, keeps us coming back. We are planning our 7th visit to Sandals Montego Bay in the beginning of October and cannot wait to come home.
I cannot belief the negative reviews from some people and actually become quite angry. How can you not love a place where everyone treats you like family, food is great, service is amazing, rooms are beautiful (we have stayed in many different rooms) and my God, it is Jamaica mon.
Maybe with a more positive attitude you might also fall in love with Sandals Montego Bay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank happybob
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We're so happy to read that you had a great vacation with us. We love to hear our guests boast about our luxurious accommodations, delectable dining options, beautiful property and the wonderful personality and hospitality of our staff. Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure creating such a memorable experience for you.

We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This resort is not for couples looking for rest and relaxation. My wife and I transferred to Sandals Royal Caribbean after spending two nights here in a concierge room. There is not much attention to detail here. Some of the issues I'm listing may seem trivial, but to me they are noteworthy when paying for "all inclusive". There are quite a few things we did not like about our brief time here:

1. I don't know what the "concierge" service is. There wasn't anything to it besides a mini bar in our room. No one really helped us upon arrival or afterward.
2. There was no place for luggage in the very small and awkwardly designed room.
3. The concierge desk hung up on me before I found out the things I wanted to know.
4. The glass bottom boat tour we signed up for was cancelled...we had to find that out at water sports the morning we were supposed to go out. No apologies were offered at all by the staff there.
5. There was an unpleasant sewage smell in our room (205) in the morning
6. After a relaxing couples massage the therapists went into hard sell mode trying to get us to purchase products...it really destroyed the almost $400 experience
7. No corkscrew in the room
8. Our chair on the balcony was broken
9. After waiting for ten minutes in the Cricketers pub with staff walking by looking at me, I had to sit at the bar to receive service
10. Our pizza order was wrong at the beach
11. Our room was right behind Tokyo Joes...it generates a LOT of noise

All this happened within 48 hours. In my opinion this place is not worth the price tag and is suited more to younger folks who haven't traveled much.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 205
6 Thank Samhenegar
We always strive to offer amazing vacation experiences and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. It seems we did not meet your expectations in a few areas of our service. We want to ensure that our future guests do not share the same experience. Therefore, your feedback will be sent to our General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Thank you for your review.

Hopefully, we will get the opportunity to welcome you for a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Pros
- The people were SO incredibly nice and accommodating.
- We thought the food was fantastic. The desserts were just okay, but luckily we were usually too full for dessert. :)
- The spa was fantastic.
- We liked how the pool/beach were never too crowded.
- We went to Sandals Royal Caribbean one night and loved the experience. It was a huge perk to visit another resort and have a different experience for an evening.
- We were able to relax when we wanted to, but there was always something to do if we were bored.
- We like the shows and entertainment in the evenings.

Cons
- Our room in Villa 12 was noisy because it was right across from maintenance. It wasn't a huge problem, but we could never sleep past 7 am because of the noise.
- By far, the worst part of our trip was seeing a cat that had been stuck in a trap on the resort. It was severely injured, but luckily escaped the trap. It was so badly injured that it was painful just to look at, and it cried all the time because of the pain. We are huge, huge cat lovers and I found it absolutely devastating to see that.
- Another day, we heard a horrible sound coming from an animal. When we turned around and looked, a worker was putting a stick into a trap that was on the resort. The worker was torturing a mongoose that was trapped. It was horrible to see.
- Overall, the traps and the way animals were treated was horrible. If I knew I'd see that again, I wouldn't return to a Sandals. That's such a shame because everything else was perfect.
- We probably wouldn't recommend the registry to other people because it seemed to be a hassle in terms of communication with the resort.

Room Tip: The butler rooms are the nicest rooms. Villas are great, but avoid Villa 12 because of the noise fro...
5 Thank Kate E
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was our third Sandals vacation and as always they exceed expectations! We stayed four nights and specifically chose Sandals Montego Bay because of the short distance from the airport...it really is a 5-7 minute drive! You do hear and see planes taking off each day...but it isn't early in the morning or late at night, so it didn't bother us at all.
All of the food we ate tasted fantastic. The managers at Tokyo Joes, Cucina Romana, and at Cricketer's Pub all went out of their way to not just accommodate us, but make our experience wonderful. I highly suggest getting reservations for all your evenings taken care of as soon as you arrive. If you don't, you have a big chance of not having the opportunity to dine at the restaurants you want. Also, then it's just taken care of and you don't have to worry about it.
The entertainment staff were phenomenal!! Kendria and Shellene performed very well, but that wasn't the only thing that stuck out to us...every time we saw them, they smiled, said hello, asked how we were doing...we're just extremely friendly and made our stay so enjoyable.
The swim up pool bar was a blast!! Andrew the bartender knows how to keep the drinks coming as well as making sure everyone is having a good time!!
This Sandals Resort has a great beach...it's huge, there are plenty of chairs....so you don't have to get up early just to make sure you get a spot at the beach. They also offer beach service for drinks....regardless if you have a butler....the service is for everyone!! This location has also has a very large selection and variety of water sports and activities to do, that are included in the price (tubbing, water skiing, glass bottom boat, kayak, snorkeling, scuba diving and many more).
My only complaint would be that I got a lot of bug bites one evening. They do have bug spray to purchase or to use while dinning at Stewfish, as that place you are sitting directly on the beach. The big bites are not really the issue of the resort by any means...but if you are staying here it just wouldn't hurt to be prepared is all.
We are so thrilled we stayed here...we loved our short getaway and enjoyed every minute! We will be returning again!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank LMeekhof4
Glasgow
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay for our honeymoon for two weeks in April. Amazing hotel! Food was great and excellent variety, staff were friendly, entertainment was great and hotel had a great atmosphere about it. We also went on a couple of trips organised through hotel and these were great too. Overall a superb stay - we will be back!

• Stayed April 2013
We're thrilled to read of your fantastic honeymoon at Sandals Montego Bay. We strive to create romantic and memorable vacation experiences for all of our guests and it makes us proud to hear your kind comments. Thank you so much for your review.

We hope to welcome you back soon for another amazing trip!
south texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay for 7 nights and it was amazing!! We did a lot of research on where we wanted to go for our 5 year anniversary/late honeymoon and we couldn't have been more pleased with out decision. First off, I do not think i have ever met a staff that was more awesome! Everyone was so nice, so helpful, and all they wanted was for you to have a wonderful time. If i could, i would have taken kendria (playmaker) and nicholas (from the pool bar) home with me! They were just so delightful and we truly miss them! And ronroy who was in training! He made us laugh and i hope you choose to keep him!

With that said, we have read a lot of reviews and i can tell you my take on them -
-mosquitoes - you're in the Caribbean, why wouldn't you take spray? But i think we got bit twice total while we were there. Same goes for sunscreen and whatever else you might need.. Yes its pricey in the giftshop so don't leave home without more than enough!
-chairs/umbrellas being reserved - we went in the middle of july and we never once had an issue finding chairs, beach space or even getting a pool side spread with an umbrella, and there was always room at the bar top and we did not have a single issue making dinner reservations (with that said, when you check in.. make them! The concierge desk provided us with a week calendar and wrote everything in for us, and it also had all the happy hours and concierge events already written in.. once again, super awesome!! and thanks to khandice who was very helpful at the concierge desk)
-some rooms updated, some not - we stayed in the palms building and you just need to really think about whats important to you.. the palms building is a little older, but you are 3 minute walk from everything in each direction where as if you want a newer room you are a lot farther away from the main building and you have a little walk ahead of you if you forget something.. so it depends on what you value.. a new building and room, or a beach front view and right next to everything(and the room is still great by the way!)?
-airplanes being so close - yes, the airport is close by.. but that means you only have a 8 minute ride to and from the airport! and if you are just relaxing with a drink in your hand, who really cares about a few airplanes taking off close by? i really didn't even notice them that much to be honest!
-And for those who are skeptical about being confronted about buying something you don't want.. The beach and property at Sandals Montego Bay are completely private! So you do not have to worry about any sketchy individuals ruining your stay.

Over all I would have to say we completely enjoyed this vacation. The food, drinks, entertainment and atmosphere was wonderful. Everything was just incredible, peaceful and so relaxing! :)

4 Thank lizortizTX