“Wonderful Vacation”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Centereach, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2004

My wife and I just spent eight glorious, relaxing days at Sandals MoBay. It was our fourth time back and as usual we hated to leave. I'm already checking next years calendar to make plans for another return trip. People ask me what we did on vacation and I tell them I relaxed on a beautiful beach, took nice walks on the beach and around the beautiful resort, went snorkeling, ate plenty, enjoyed the nightly entertainment, and had a few drinks. My wife relaxed on the beach, relaxed on the beach, and then relaxed on the beach some more. She also enjoyed the B52's that were recommended by one of the water sport fellas. There is so much to do, but we enjoy taking it easy and relaxing. The saying here is "no worries", "no problem" and the workers treat you just that way. No matter what, they are always trying to make you feel great. Nothing is a bother to them. You want a different drink because you didn't like the taste of the one just made for you, "no problem", another is made for you. You want to sit closer to the side of the terrace overlooking the Caribbean, "no problem" they will move a table over there for you. I think you get my point. The people there are great. Rooms are always clean and the weather is beautiful. We like to stay in the Palms because of its proximity to the beach and it's central location to everything at the resort. As I've said before, everyone that we come into contact with at the resort is always kind and genuine to us, however, a few guys there go above and beyond for us and make us feel like we are the only two people there. I'm sure others also feel the same way. Lionel and Curtis are great and we look forward to seeing them again next year. They always came over to make sure all was "good" and are always striving to make everything perfect. Super people. And finally, the cream of the crop, my man Giche. He is the best of the best. Attention to detail at the finest. We consider him a friend and if you do decide to visit Sandals Montego Bay, ask for Giche at the Bayside Terrace for breakfast and dinner. Tell him Anthony and Nanette say hello. All things being equal, it is the people at Sandals Montego Bay that keep you coming back.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,654)

bristol, Pa
Reviewed February 22, 2004

Concerning the review on theft at the property, I am in the travel business and frequently stay at Sandals Montego Bay. Being in the business theft is a big concern to my clients. When I travel to hotels in the caribbean I have a routine I go through. Case in Point Sandals Montego Bay December 26 2004 stayed for 6 nights. I put $100.00 dollars in assorted bills and coinage on night the night stand, making a tempting trap for any employee who is brave enough to take it. For seven days the maid dusted around it but would not touch it. I have been to Mobay 9 times in 4 years and do this on every visit. Nothing has ever been taken. Had a large group there in september of 2001 and a lady left her purse on the bench by the wedding chapel. While we were at the airport waiting for departure she realized she left her perse at the resort. Time laps was approximately 2 hours. I called the front of house manager and told her the situation. She sent security to look for the purse and 45 minutes later they arrived with the lady purse with nothing missing. I am not saying dont worry about your belongings at the resort, but dont think people are lurking around every corner waiting to rip you off. Every room at Mobay has a safe, have you ever wondered why the safe key costs you $100.00 if you loose it!!!!! Thats because there is no duplicates. Maintenance has to come in and drill out the hardened lock if you loose the key. So if something is stolen from you. chances are it was your fault to a point.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 20, 2004

My husband and I visited MoBay last year at this time.....welcome to paradise. We are going back in 14 days and can't wait. The resort is beautiful, the water is crystal clear, the food is excellent, the drinks are endless. You can either do everything, or nothing, the choice is yours. After 8 years of marriage, I grew to know my husband all over again. This year we are traveling with friends and are looking forward to all the activites we can participate in if we want to. We are also looking forward to laying around....why else would we choose a beach?? About the complainers.....I just have to laugh.....when someone can complain about a place as close to heaven as this is, I can't help but think they must not be happy anywhere!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2004

We just got back from a 4 day weekend at Mo-Bay. We got upgraded to a waters-edge suite real nice. We found this resort to be clean, nice and a great time. If you don't have fun it's your own fault! The beach is long , the bars plentiful and the staff is excellant. We will be back!!
Played volleyball did the Day Dreamer , I highly recommend it. Go have a great time!! We did...

• Stayed: February 2004
2  Thank rec5
Orlando Florida
Reviewed February 16, 2004

My wife and I (we're both 36 years old) went for our Honeymoon in November 2004 and had a great time. We live in Orlando Florida and have visited many, many top rate resorts in the city and state, so we know what they are supposed to look like. Anyone who says they spend thier time at hotels that are much nicer, are probably not comparing apples with apples. The resort is supposed to be a beach resort, not the Waldorf or Ritz Carlton. The place was fantastic, I loved the atmosphere there, the buildings were not too tall and had a good island look to them, not like some of the other resorts we saw that were modern looking and higher rise buildings which were not at all what I'd want for a tropical vacation. There is a lot to do right there at the resort, and we did just two excursions in six days and still stayed as busy as we wanted. The resort was not at all crowded when we went, the grounds were fairly large as well wich made it nice. There was the Jet planes landing at the nearby airport and the trinket salesman on kayaks near the swimming area. The planes didn't bother me a bit and were almost sureal in the setting. The trinket saleman were't too bad, you can steer clear of them if you want to. The food was very good, as good as I am used to at any normal restaurant I might go to, and the room we were in was very nice, bright and colorful. The whole resort put you in a great mood. The people that work there are incredibly friendly, and helpful. The people that complain about that must have their own personal butler's at home because that is the only thing that could explain someone complaining about service. We had no problems getting drinks. I am not a fan of Red Stripe beer though, and wish they would have had a normal beer selection, but other than that, the drinks were good. You can ask for extra liquer in your drink if you want to. Tipping was not allowed and very few of the people would take the money even if offered. We stopped offering for fear of getting someone in trouble. Overall I couldn't have asked for a better time at a better resort. We took advantage of the scuba diving as well, it was included in the price of the trip as were all of the other water sports. I highly recommend the piano bar, the piano player there was great and got everyone singing. It starts later at night after everyone has been drinking for a while. Go to Sandals Mo Bay, you will love it and be wondering what I am, why would anybody complain about such a great place!?!?!?

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 14, 2004

We were just at Sandals Mo Bay from Feb.5-10 for our wedding. We had a group of 14 people with us and EVERYONE loved it there. The grounds are beautiful, the people are wonderful and the rooms in the Almond Block are amazing! Yes, the planes can be loud but we barely noticed them and if you don't like something, just ask to have it fixed and t will happen. The stray cats are adorible and they don't bother you unless you call them and everything was VERY clean. The men in the kayaks can be a little annoying but just tell them "no" and walk away. Actually if you talk to them sme, they are very interesting people. On the day of our wedding my husband gave one of them a piece of our wedding cake and he gave me a beautiful ankle bracelet. Our wedding was everthing that I imagined it would be- a couple of glithces, but what wedding doesn't have those? I will say that we did run into some problems with A FEW select people at the resort (our original wedding coordinator and some of the people on the concierge staff), but all in all it was an amazing trip for everyone involved. We were extremely sad to leave and we definetly plan on going back. To the people that write all of these horrible reviews I don't think we were at the same resort. If you are planning a wedding at Mo Bay just send me an e-mail and I will give you some pointers that you don't know about until it is all over, but they wil save you some money. IGNORE ALL OF THE BAD REVIEWS- they will just make you nervous for no reason at all!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 11, 2004

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon last December and experienced her camera being stolen out of her bag by a member of the bar staff. A police investigation proved this, but we've yet to get the hotel to compensate us. This has taken over three months, and now the hotel G.M. won't even return my calls. This happened on the third night we were there, and pretty much soured us on this hotel. We will NOT return to this hotel.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member