“Awesome resort, definitely the best of all the Sandals in Jamiaca. It is right next to the airport!!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

BEST of all the Sandals in Jamaica. It is right next to the airport, so short ride.The runway is right next to do the airport so you can hear the planes all day taking off, pretty loud, but it stops by 8pm - 7:30am. The food was amazing, staff is so friendly and a joy to be around. Lots of fun activities as well such as ping pong, pool, pool volleyball, dancing competitions, kayaking, boating, paddle boarding, wake boarding, tubing etc..... Worthy going for sure! Adults only.

3 Thank RossiThomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,226)
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We first stayed at MoBay in March of 2003 during our first trip away from the kids. We got scuba certified by Donovan, Big D, and he was still there in 2013 to teach us everything we needed to know and do to become Advanced Open Water scuba certified. If you are a interested in scuba diving, this resort is the ticket! In fact, the key staff at the watersports hut is still the same (Owen, Fastcar, Termi) like during our first visit. Big D even called my husband out by name when he first saw us walking along the pool!! He may have gotten prompted from a repeat guest list and the fact that we had told the staff earlier that he had certified us, but still! We felt immediately back home - reinforced by the staff who greeted us with a friendly "welcome home" everywhere we went on our first day.

SCUBA
The dives were much better than in years past and the abundance of wildlife under water was truly amazing! The reef has clearly sprung back to life since 2003 when fish seemed somewhat sparse. We saw several rays, a nurse shark, lizzard fish, huge moray eel, puffer fish, milipedes, a family of squid and swam surounded by large schools of enormous fish. Underwater flora was also truly amazing.

The equipment is well taken care of and safety is the number one priority around all watersports activities. Rochelle keeps a tight reign on all the paperwork and is very efficient with the management of the watersports activities. We dove twice a day, 9am and 11:30am, and every dive was different and spectacular. If you have a chance to dive with Big D, take it! He is a big teddy bear with a heart of gold, immensely patient, gives very clear instructions and really looks out for you and makes you comfortable in the water.

ENTERTAINMENT/FACILITIES
Since our vacations are very focused on watersports and scuba, this resort is truly all our hearts desire, the rest is what each individual person makes it to be. Entertainment staff is fun, beach volley ball and pool volley ball very popular. The beach is very clean, long, plenty of shaded spots and nice for strolls. We loved the new (?) gas fire pits with lounge chairs along the beach and created our own party one night playing guitar and singing with other guests - outlasted the piano bar :-)

The swim-up bar at the piano bar was a fun place to hang out and meet new people. Intimate, inviting, large enough to not feel crowded. The only other pool was the main pool which is somewhat smallish for a relatively large resort. Big enough to play pool volleyball but during a game there is little room for anybody else to hang out in the water. Fine with us since the beach area is truly amazing and expansive.

FOOD
The food is just average. The breakfast buffet was great the first day but didn't change much after that. Lunch buffet was good, the beach party night buffet was the best of all our dining experiences - jerk chicken was absolutely delicious. Tokyo Joe is overrated in my opinion (the lunch stir fry station at the court yard restaurant was much better), but we didn't come for the food and didn't have high expectations, so absolutely no complaints here. Just don't expect truly fine and exquisite dining.

ROOM
Since it was our third time at the resort we got a very nice upgrade to our favorite spot (without asking!) and had a room on the third floor of the Palm Building - absolutely perfect!! Nice decor, sparkling clean (thank you, Jennifer!), perfect view between palm trees onto the blue ocean in the morning with the catamaran sitting on the glassy calm sea. Convenient to all activities and restaurants, very close to the very well equipped fitness center and a privately located jaccuzzi in the back.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Only sour note was that after spending $600 on the Advanced Open Water certification, we were still charged a $10 per person wetsuit rental fee, which should have been included in the price but in the end wasn't because we decided to go for the certification AFTER our first dive... That seemed a bit like nickel-and-diming to me. Not enough to make a big fuss over it when we checked out but even an inquiry just resulted in the response "those are our rules" rather than a courtesy refund.

After leaving the resort, I discovered that I had left my iPhone on the treadmill that morning. Even though I was able to "locate" it through the "lost phone app", several calls to the resort to recover it and my conversations with at least 8 different people did not instill the confidence that someone tried really hard to look for it. No return calls or emails with any status update so far.

Will we return? Very likely! The vibe of the resort and the friendly, stress-free interaction with the staff, the dive shack, and the accommodations are exactly what we are looking for in a short "refueling vacation" - the 10-min transfer from the airport absolutely perfect - leaving Washington at 6am and being able to sit at a beautiful beach by noon is very hard to beat and makes up for all else. Any airplane noise was a matter of less than 15 seconds and there weren't really that many departures and none at night or very early in the morning. You quickly get used to roaring of the jet engines and just wave them good bye before continuing with your conversations. Really not a big deal.

Room Tip: 715 - Palm Building is centrally located to about everything. Superb views from third floor. Never w...
2 Thank ikebobike
Franklin, TN
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in one of the rooms overlooking the beach. The room was great, although we had a little issue with getting the temp set properly on the AC. The room was nicely appointed, and it was great having the opening balcony where we could sit and also having the small fridge in the room. While I do not drink alcohol, I feel like I made a pretty good dent in the virgin dacquiri's! My wife had some drinks and had a little fun trying some different ones. We were able to get to all the restaurants we really wanted to go to. Probably our favorite part of the resort though was all the water activities. We did the Hobie Kat's, lots of snorkeling, water skiing, the water tubes, the glass boat (just go snorkeling - just about some of the same things), and paddle boarding. We also just hung out on the beach and went to the pool with the swim up bar. We were able to get the snorkeling crew to take us to some different points for some variety. There is a great place up near the Royal Caribbean, and also a great place out closer to the airport. We also found that it was well worth the extra money to have them bring breakfast to your room rather than having to go somewhere. This is a minor charge, and we ordered tons of food. We enjoyed sitting out on our balcony with the extra nice breakfasts!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the volleyball courts, and we had no problems with noise or anything, and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeffowentn
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Being right next to the runway was the only drawback to this resort. That being said, the disturbance was only 10 seconds or so each time a plane took off. You can tell this is the flagship Sandals at least in the suite we were in, but has been well maintained. The service was excellent and each and every person seemed to want to make this our best experience on vacation. Will return if the airport activity doesn't increase too much.

• Stayed April 2013
Jamaica
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Sad to say but this hotel does not epitomize the sandals experience at all!!. The property I would say is average. The food is also average...not the usual Sandals class except maybe the fine dining experience. My room had no liquor though there was space for it so just got soft drinks in my mini bar and to make that even more noticeable was the fact that when you go to the bar to get drinks, the staff really wasn't very friendly as me and my wife have become so accustomed to. Other than the liquor the room was small but comfortable. Other than check-in with "Big Al" there was nothing mentionable about any of the staff. Since I absolutely love Sandals I won't dwell on negative views as this experience was in all fairness beyond the ordinary. On a lighter note, the beach was great! Beautiful and clean water, relaxing surroundings on the beach, actually proved to be the highlight of our stay. I will definitely be doing Sandals again, but not Montego Bay.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms seemed to be most convenient and a little more exciting.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mikey-Nishy
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My boyfriend, myself, and his family stayed at Sandals Montego Bay during Christmas and New Years. It was all in all, a pretty good vacation, which is what we all expected, especially for the price!
We were warned about the location of the airport, and the fact of how close it was to the resort, and the noise of the airplanes was definitely annoying for the first day, but we eventually got used to it.
This resort keeps people really busy, especially with the beach volleyball that I actually had to pull my boyfriend away from on some days. There are also kayaks, and other activities to do everyday for free. We also took part in the bracelet making class, which was cool. We were too embarrassed to join the dancing class, but it was very entertaining to watch everybody else doing it.
Being a fairly young couple, we were kind of nervous, especially being at a couples resort, that mainly older couples go to, but we met a lot of fun people, no matter the age we happen to be.

A complaint we had was when you first arrive, they take you to a lounge to get you to sign some papers, and basically tell you about the resort. I was getting very irritated, as I just wanted to get to my room. After the lounge, the staff expected us to go with the entire group to each and everybody's rooms, but we took off to meet with my boyfriend's family, who had been there for 4 days before us, as they knew where we were staying.
Another complaint we had was the food. We found ourselves eating at the pub for the week, as we are simple eaters. On New Years Eve, there was a giant buffet, in which we really did enjoy, as there was a variety for everybody. They should really have a buffet for dinner as well. We did enjoy Tokyo Joes though, we wish we could have gotten a chance to go back a second time.
I did also receive raw jerk chicken at the bar at the beach, so I was not impressed with that either.

The service was great from everybody, I wish I could remember names, but everybody was phenomenal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lekeisha M
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

First I would like to say thank you for the employees who were very friendly and extend their warm welcome and kind hospitality. To name a few, Alford "Al" at the welcome desk, Robert at the Oleando restaurant, Venecia wedding organizer and more they were great.
My disappointment was with denial of advertisement. The newer locations like Royal Sandals are featured on the internet and not the original Sandals, Montego Bay. As a first time visitor I was very disappointed (but Al cheered my husband and myself up) the room I thought I had booked when I got there it was totally different, for example, it was not ocean view as they mentioned, pent houde is not a real pent house style, the entrance of building was not appealing looking run down, and overall I think Sandals Montego Bay needs a face lift after visiting Royal Sandals which looked exactly as I saw on the internet. Most staff were friendly but I must mentioned the gift shop manager Ms Turner, she was unfriendly did not offer warm stay, she would walk by you wthout saying hello or how is your stay (as ALL other staff do). It would be nice if she practice the 8 foot rule " say to anyone who is within 8 feet". Overall, weather was good, food was good and the entertainment team was wonderful. I would love to see the misleading in advertisement discontinue.

Room Tip: Deluxe ocean view there are no ocean views.
4 Thank sonia M