“We loved our Sandals vacation!!!!!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Best vacation!!!!! Let me start by saying that i read a lot of reviews to try and decide which Sandals to take my fiancé to for his first sandals experience. I had been to beaches in Negril myself for a wedding 10 yrs ago and loved it there. I'm happy to say we made the right decision selecting Montego Bay. We traveled the 3rd week of Mach 2013. It never rained but was very windy in the afternoon, so get an early start with any water sports. Theres plenty of included water activities.The staff is top notch. Our very first day we connected with a young gal named Kadian in the bayside cafe for lunch. She was so sweet and always went out of her way to take care of us. The food was awesome.oh a helpful hint...make sure you make your reservations the first night you get there or they could get booked up. We didn't care for the oleanders it took us 2 hours to finish. The staff didn't seem to happy to be there that night. Our favorite was the French restaurant at the royal Caribbean oh and the tai food there was good too and Andre was an excellent server. If you could tip,he would of been given a big one. Excursions ... We went on the reggae cruise if you want a little party time it's good I cold of passed. The age group is 30's 40's and 50's A great mix. The only negative thing I could say about the resort is the availability of chairs at the pool and on the beach. Even if you get up early to reserve a chair, its still not a guarantee that you will get them.There are 2 pools and they are not that big. The beach is nice, if your looking for the best beach Negril hands down. The best thing about the travel was the staff. They were always very friendly and courteous. We loved how there was always something to entertain us. Daily activities as well as nightly entertainment.
Another helpful hint in regards to the rooms. We stayed in the Sea Grapes building on the 3rd floor with a beautiful view. When you upgrade pay attention to the level floors that's what your paying extra for is no obstruction. The best building in my opinion is the Palms. It's located right on the beach and centrally located to everything. The first floor you literally can walk right to the sand on the beach. The waterfront edge is also located close to the restaurants and main lobby.
We loved Sandals and will be returning but probably to the Ocho Rios resort just to try another Sandals or St Lucia. FYI the planes are loud but you get use to it and it makes up for the short 10 min ride from the airport. When we checked out we paid extra for the mobay express checkout worth every penny.

Room Tip: Palms rooms are beach front location and have room service with included wifi
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Blujessa
There are newer reviews for Sandals Montego Bay

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I just returned from seven days at Sandals Montego Bay. This was our first Sandals experience. The staff was outstanding; they treated us like family. Hartley, Kemar, Shanay-nay and the other staff members called us by name and made sure we were comfortable and having a great time. All of the staff members were warm and friendly; we hated to leave. The food was good, and we never had trouble making reservations for dinner. We enjoyed the option of being able to go to the other two Sandals properties. The Royal Thai at the Royal Caribbean is on a romantic island..it is a must. Do not pay for a taxi to go downtown. Take the free shuttle to Sandals Carlyle, and walk down the street two blocks. My husband and I found this out after spending $52.00 to go downtown and to see a hotel in the hills. We are looking forward to going back next year.

Sandals Montego Bay is home away from home!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 518-DivaDee
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was a much bigger place than the Royal Caribbean which is where we were. it is great that they run free shuttle buses between places so you can visit. We went for dinner here and yes it was nice but really busy due to the size. Food was great as was the service but everything is really well done. This is probably the place if you want to party all night.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Littlebigfolk
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have been to other all-inclusives. I will tell you right now that they do not compare. I will also tell you that I do not like to repeat travel destinations--there are so many places in the world to see!--but I might break that rule in this case.

The staff--GRACIOUS and SUNNY. Always asking how you were doing and very attentive. I always found someone to answer my questions. I never got a snide reply. I never ran out of water/ drinks/ etc. Speaking of drinks--STRONG and FUN. Jamaican Smile is good, as is the Chardonnay. The food--truly DELICIOUS and BEAUTIFUL presentation. All the bread & rolls were to die for. The chocolate mousse was so good, it made me want another one, and guess what? They brought me one! The rooms--COMFORTABLE and CLEAN. Loved the little balcony we had (oceanside). The water sports and activities available--PLENTY and SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE. ANYTHING we wanted to do, the staff made it happen, including lining up a taxi to go market-shopping.

I loved that there was always something to do--a beach vball game to join, croquet, paddleboarding, short glass-bottom boat excursions, etc--but you could do nothing at all too...plenty of beachside chairs to nap on. The grounds themselves are so pretty and manicured and filled with beautiful flowering plants. The exercise room has plenty of equipment, from treadmills to ellipticals to bikes to free weights.

Another note for any planning weddings: that's what I came to Sandals Montego Bay for, and I can see exactly why you would do a destination wedding. The staff took care of everything! The reception on the beach was especially beautiful with tiki torches blazing and local musicians playing. Dancing on the beach with moonlight shining on the ocean? Yes that seems like a great start to married life! ;)

So do I think this is a good value for the money spent? Yes, yes I do. I could go on and on, but just go already and see for yourself! ;) It really is a fantastic place on a gorgeous, gorgeous island.

PS--Don't miss the piano bar...shy or not, you will find yourself singing along. So fun.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Rbrowneyed
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Couple of apologies – first being, this is long. The second I had to wait to post this as there is a 3 month rule about posting a review of the same resort.

We were so fortunate that we were able to go to Sandals Montego Bay in December of 2012, and then return in February of 2013. When we were at the resort in December we made a decision to book our next vacation and actually booked for Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios. We had such a fantastic time that once we returned home we changed our reservation to return to Sandals Montego Bay. We unfortunately took too long to decide that we wanted to book a concierge suite so had to make a split reservation. When we arrived on February 18th the first portion of our stay had been upgraded. I can’t find the category of room it was but it was on the beach, first floor of the Palms building (room 513). The room was beautiful and the location was awesome. During the day while lounging on the beach if you needed a bathroom you could just go back to your room from the beach side.

We then moved to the second room (Waters Edge Honeymoon Penthouse Concierge Room). Once again the room was beautiful, double sinks in the bathroom, an awesome walk in closet. The only issue with this room (303) is that the balcony overlooks Tokyo Jo’s restaurant. We immediately called the concierge desk and fortunately they had an alternate room that we could move to the following day. We moved to room 319 and have requested that particular room for our next visit. Oh yes … we did it again – we have already booked our return visit to Sandals Montego Bay for 2014.

Something new that SMB offered was the opportunity to dine on the beach for a minimal additional charge ($7 and a bottle of wine off the managers list). So for an extra $51 (our wine was $44) we could have a private dinner for two on the beach and order from one of three restaurants. Because the resort was so busy for the time that we were there we could only get a late dinner reservation for Cucina Romana. So we booked a dinner on the beach requesting the Cucina Romana menu at a time better for us. Our waiter was good and even took extra time to use our camera and take a bunch of pictures for us. I had the tiramisu for desert – the best I have ever had!! And on the subject of deserts the rum cake at the Stewfish was delicious. I was thankful that the portion sizes weren't very large because I was able to have desert a number of times during our stay.

The returning guest dinner was incredible! The meal was fantastic. We sat with the cost accounting manager and had a great conversation with him during the dinner.

There are several ladies at SMB that deserve very special mention. Duncan (and I believe that is her last name) and Alicia. Duncan remembered us from our last visit and gave us a wonderful greeting and hugs. She really is such a high energy and friendly lady and will go out of her way to make things right. After some confusion at the Spa (because of our split reservation) I was running out of patience (because I had to go to the Soon Come Back desk twice about it) that a simple credit couldn't simply happen. Alicia understood it – and took care of it, and I felt bad for her because she thought it had been taken care of the previous day). Something that could be done at the resort is that the employees could be given a little more authority to make things right. The lady at the spa should have been able to say “I understand – please leave this with me and I’ll get back to you”. Instead we had to do the leg work to get our credit.

Speaking of the spa – if you are given a gift – check your bill and ensure you weren't actually charged for it like we were. We had a couples massage, asked about our credit because the amount seemed high, and left with our gift. I didn't look at the bill until we were flying home and noted that we were charged for the candle.

One of the ladies that I would be remiss in not mentioning works in the Bayside restaurant. I can’t recall her name however she is a new employee – she had only been working for 3 weeks – although she was in training prior to that. She has a contagious smile – and smiles all the time. When you see this lady you will know exactly who I’m talking about.

The lady that makes the omelettes and eggs to order is fantastic. She remembers who is having what and always sends you off with your food wishing you a wonderful day with a big smile.

The beach waiters were FANTASTIC. They are up and down the beach, and around the pool, making sure that your drinks are refreshed. Special mention is Damar. He is so friendly and if you are uncertain about what you might like to drink he takes the time to find out what you like and make suggestions. He often brought me glasses of water along with my drink because he knew that is how I like it. I’m sure his talents will be recognized and he will be doing something else at the resort the next time we return – although I would greatly miss him on the beach.

We had absolutely no complaints about any of the restaurants and the meals – other than the resort was so busy and getting reservations for the times that we really wanted was difficult. We had great food, and great service. We returned to the Royal Thai and requested to be seated in Andre’s area as he gave us such great service last year. He didn’t disappoint and took a moment to share a picture of his beautiful baby girl who he was still expecting when we there previously.

During our visit in December beach chairs were not an issue because it wasn’t busy. Unfortunately this time it was busy, and getting chairs in the shade were a huge issue. Fortunately during our week at the resort they were constructing a few new shelters. It would be awesome if they could just offer beach umbrellas for those chairs that are in direct sun if you would like shade.

One morning we put our towels out bright and early because that is what everyone else was doing. When we got to our chairs one of the butlers had actually placed a sign over the chairs we had “reserved”! One morning a lady came up to us and asked if we knew who had thrown their towels onto another chair. Someone else came along and said he had been out at 5am to put out their towels and there were no towels out there. He said the 6 chairs that had been cleared had been cleared by another man who was also out at 5am and they had gone golfing. We started laughing and thought that there will be a reality show – “the beach chair wars”.

One day my husband was in line at the Mariner to pick up some lunch for us and a butler came up behind him and yelled her order. Her order took precedence over ours. I understand that people pay considerably more for butler service however that shouldn’t be happening. The room category you are in shouldn’t give you more importance than anyone else.

The groundskeeper and maintenance staff are always at work keeping everything in great shape. The rooms were very clean and the fridges restocked daily.

We did do one tour – the Martha Brae bamboo river raft. That is certainly worthwhile. Ask for raft captain 56 – Skinner.

So overall, we had a couple of minor issues but they were taken care of. I am looking forward to returning and doing it all over again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 807daisy
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay in Sept. 2012. When we arrived we where immediately upgraded to a ocean front luxury room. Big O was awesome. The staff all had smiles and they where warm and genuine. Terri that worked at the main bar made the best drinks in the world with the biggest smile. Big shout out to Ashton for the education of Jamaica. Food was good but not excellent. The service was the best part of dining. The landscaping was flawless and the grounds where beautiful. If you need transportation ask for Mr. Lee he is hillarious. Sandals is more expensive than most all inclusives. I hope they know thier staff makes it worth the cost.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank roger l
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at Mobay October 7 to October 13 2012. I can't say enough good things about this resort. We found it very clean, the people who work there are out of this world. We are so looking forward to going back again. Yes, it might be a little out dated but it is one of the older Sanldals but we found the upkeep on the resort fantastic. The only down side would be getting a lounge chair and towels for the beach, you have to be a bit of an early bird, which we are. Some people have complained about the noise of the planes, there is noise but it's not as early or as late as some have said and after the 2nd day you really don't notice it. We were in room 517 which is in the palm buildings. Great location on the resort!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple