We had the opportunity to spend 3 nights at Montego Bay Sandals Feb 20-23. We wanted to know 2 important things. First, was 'close to the airport', too close to the airport?
Second, was it possible to enjoy a getaway of only 3 days or would we feel rushed?
We left a cold Boston airport at 5:30 am (with a foot of snow at home) and were sitting on the beach at noon. True enough you can hear the planes flying and they are good and loud for about ten seconds. If you stand with your back to the ocean you can watch them fly up and out of sight and it is impressive. They fly out about one every hour or so. But they do not fly after ten at night and do not start up again until around 8. In our opinion it was worth being that close getting to Sandals from the airport. It also meant on our last day we could sit in the ocean until about noon and head out for the airport at 12:30. Mobay has a nice departure lounge so after you pack (you have to be out of your room by 11am) you simply take a change of clothes with you and enjoy the resort. Then go to the departure lounge to shower. It was wonderful.
The other great discovery was that we could indeed rest and relax even though it was only for three days. This is because the Sadnals service at Mobay is incredible. From the moment we came staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. For starters we booked the second lowest room catagory. This is located on the first floor of the Palms building and faces the garden and tennis courts. Lovely room, but we never slept in it. Turns out our wonderful TA Ruth Demuth of Tripguy had spoken with Sandals about getting us an upgrade and we ended up 20 steps from the beach! The resort was full to capacity and yet somehow with Ruth's help and Sandals kindess we got a dream room, whose bathroom was larger than our first apartment!
In the room was a little welcome snack (our 4th time at a Sandals) a bottle of champagne, a bottle of wine, and an invitation to have a room service breakfast in honor of my husbands birthday!
Note about if you order breakfast: Apparently it is for two, so for instance if you order an omelet, two come, with homefries. We did not know this so my husband checked off omelet for him then pancakes for me. Then he thought I might like muffins and figured we could share some fruit....... Tromping across the sand came the poor Sandals delivery guy looking like he was carrying a ton of weight. When he ever put down the tray we could not stop laughing. I did invite him to stay for breakfast lolo it was too funny.
Lets see what might a traveler like to know? The beach is very long and although the middle was crowded you could walk down a ways and find a shady spot near the wall or under a palm tree. The water sports people are terrific and we snorkaled, paddle boarded, and kayaked. They even have water skiing! They do have a glass bottom boat but it goes the same place as the snorkelers so you may just want to do that.
One thing you need to know esp. if you are staying for a short visit, make sure you make reservations for dinner as soon as you get there since 3 of the nighttime restaurants require them! The food over all was terrific and you could get food every minute of the day so be prepared to gain ten pouinds!
The playmakers are fun and try to encourage everyone to get involved. But it is easy enough to move away from the busy area if you goal is just to chill. I could not get over that even with all the people vacationing and working there we were always able to find a quiet spot to talk or just sit and relax.
Orando, one of the play makers was a very fun and talented guy. He and the other playmakers put on a talent show and he was just stunning. Then the next morning, bright and early he was up sweeping the chess board! All of the Sandals workers put in long hours but you would never know it from their professionalism. They really make the vacation!
We will definitely return to this Sandals and are eager to check out other properties as well. You just cannot beat the free week Sandals offers to guests who stay so many days. No other resort offers such a wonderful deal! Each of the 3 locations we have stayed at (plus 2 others we day visited) are beautiful and everywhere we went we saw staff going the extra mile for guests.
If you are thining of staying in Montego Bay, give Sandals a try you will not be disappointed. PM me if you have psecific questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Largest private white sand beach on the north coast •The entertainment capital of the Sandals brand with nightly professional shows and upbeat, active, fun-loving daytime activities. •Six exquisite dining options•Complimentary transfers to Sandals Royal Caribbean and Sandals Carlyle. Enjoy all the luxuries included in our “stay at one, play at three” concept offering 18 dining options •Air-conditioned departure lounge•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Travelocity, TravelUp, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandals Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Montego Bay Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Hotel Montego Bay
- Montego Bay Sandals Hotel
- Sandal Montego Bay