“Greatly improved since our last visit”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
near Chicago
“Greatly improved since our last visit”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had been to this resort many times but we have not been back for a few years because I had become unhappy with this resort. I felt it was definitely going down hill. Recently, my husband wanted to go back for a few days so we did that last week.

I fell in love with Sandals Montego Bay all over again. All of the complaints that I had during the last few visits before this one have been disappeared.

The resort is well run and the staff is eager to see that you have a great visit. The grounds are wonderful and the beach is lovely. The food was good and service in the restaurants was top-notch.

We intend to return again, soon.

5 Thank max2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
Manchester, PA
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I'm the one that was screaming "I'm not leaving" just this Saturday (1/12/13). Well, I was screaming in my head. :) We have done quite a few inclusives and will say that this Sandals was the best.

The staff was awesome. The wait staff, the bartenders, everyone you saw while walking the grounds were great. Even the management was seen daily on the grounds interacting with the guests. If you wanted something, they made it happen. We were at Bay Roc and our butlers were even better. Ordel and Darrion took such good care of us. I got a stomach bug midway thru the trip and Ordel kept checking on me to make sure I was still alive. Even the beverage guy was helpful in telling me what to take for my bug.

The food - awesome! We were impressed with all the restaurants and I brought home a few recipes. Have the citrus salad dressing at the Oleander and you will know why I wanted that recipe! From breakfast (yes, hubby wanted to bring home the omelet lady) to a late night snack, we had no complaints. Stewfish may have been our favorite - the seafood was wonderful. But those folks at Mariner's make lunch a great time too.

The grounds were lovely and well cared for. But I think half of the flowers ended up in our room (thanks guys) and that was not an issue for us at all.

Drinks were on the light side, but when we needed a little stronger, the staff came thru. Hubby did the Friday night talent show (the Rooster song for those who where there) and he needed a little liquid courage and the lobby bar took care of him.

Our room - it was great. And the bubble bath was fun, along with the glow in the dark letters! :)

The beach - soft, soft sand and a great staff there too. Everything was kept clean and ready for the next guest.

What do we regret? Not much, but we do wish we found the piano sing-along at the swim-up bar much sooner then our last night. Had we known it was such fun, we would have been there each night. And just join in with the playmakers. They are a fun group of folks.

Best tip? Take the shuttle to the Carlyle and visit the "hip strip". You can take a boat or a cab and spend $30 a person or go free and walk a couple of blocks.

If you do the butler route, make sure to have your phone with you from at least 8 AM to 10PM. You will hear it from your butler if they cannot contact you! :D

The In-Room bar did not live up to expectations. I asked for Kahlua and bourbon. The hotel does not stock Kahlua, but our bar was not stocked with bourbon at all. Not that we really needed this, but it was advertised and not carried thru. I did ask for Baileys for one night and Ordel did have it for us, even tho it seemed that Baileys is not a stocked liquor.

Oh, the planes. Yes, they are right overhead, but really, you learn to ignore them. Not a huge deal.

If we were repeaters, we would head back to Sandals MoBay in a minute. But, alas, we are not. However, we will be at another Sandals next January, we just don't know which one yet!

4 Thank HELJAN
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had a wonderful 5 days stay at Sandals. It was great after a long trip to get to the hotel in record time as just the other side of the airport. Yes you heard and see the planes taking off but they are gone in next to no time and no bother at all.

This was the first Sandals and yes the resort it not a swish as newer built hotels but staff are great Robert at Oleander was a wonderful server throughout our stay and all staff were warm and friendly. Plenty of dinning options at this hotel, so wonderful to be able to dine outside in the evening. We went over to the Thai restaurant at the Royal Caribbean which was excellent. Very please with the standard of food in all restaurants and the house red wine was very good quality.

Managed to get a couple of dives in it is great that the a/i includes dives and equipment ( wetsuits are the only extra with a per day charge ) Probably could have done with a wetsuit in the pool as it was chilly!

Enjoyed the stay and would not rule out a return to Sandals.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Axegrinder1
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We just got back from the most amazing week at Sandals Mo Bay - this resort was everything I imagined. The staff is amazing - we stayed in a concierge suite and had a beautiful view with wonderful service. The resort is beautiful and not all condensed like other resorts. Bar staff is great and you get to know everyone - favourite staff being Hynreckie in the swim up bar and Clayton & Natalia. Swim up bar was my favourite - might be a little chilly to get into but you're fine after you're in, and at night its even warmer. I honestly can't think of anything I could possibly complain about - except maybe the long winded "the people want some wata" song that went on for over an hour during the beach party and I CANNOT get it out of my head lol. I honestly can't wait to go back. If you need a driver for the day - also highly recommend Jarrett with Juta Cabs - we chose not to do the tours to mystic mountain but instead hire a driver for the day so we could do other things as well. Work out a rate with them, they wait for you, keep your stuff, show you local things etc. We rented a cabana for the day the day before we left - and were pretty hungover - was a great way to relax and be pampered for the day. Supper at candlelight on the beach was awesome - great way to end the week!
For anyone complaining about the planes - don't pay attention. Its a beautiful piece of property along the airport - who cares about a 2 second loud noise once in awhile throughout the day - become unnoticeable after day 1 - why anyone would dis this resort for that reason is beyond me ! Highly recommend - met some very awesome people that I can't wait to see again!

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was our first trip to an all inclusive resort. Overall we were satisfied and had a great time.

What we did like: Beautiful, well cared for property with lots to do. We didn't have a chance to do everything we wanted to in our five night stay.The beach is stunning, private, large and pristine. Clear warm water, you can find beautiful shells and the waves are minimal. Virtually no bugs.Top shelf liquor included. Loved that it was couples only, apart from a few scattered children who were a part of wedding parties, but never seen other than that. Playmakers enhanced the experience. Most bartenders were great, could mix up awesome drinks, and would chat with you when not too busy. Tokyo Jo's and the Italian restaurant were the best. We loved the guided sailing. The shows were good. Didn't have too much trouble finding a lounger on the beach. One time when I was ill they did send me a fruit plate to my room via butler service (which we didn't have) at my fiances request.

What we didn't like: The airplanes. We read a few reviews but weren't completely prepared for how often and how loud they were; that was our own fault. Our bathroom was FILTHY when we arrived. It is the one thing that I really remember about my first impression. I went to take a shower soon after we arrived and discovered dirt and hair in the tub. At first I tried to just rinse it away, but it was grime. Like it had not been cleaned in a week or more. It left visible dirt on the hand towel I used to clean it. So we contacted front desk and requested someone come and thoroughly clean it, and it was like pulling teeth. Poor poor customer service. We had to wait in the room for an hour before a man and a house keeper showed up and he had to tell/show her how to clean the tub. Sketchy. Not even an apology. Customer service was lacking in the administrative/front desk area overall. My luggage was lost for our first day and the front desk/concierge service was terrible at providing help and information regarding finding it. Food quality overall was poor. We didn't like that food was only served at certain times, and that you couldn't get room service. The dress codes were poorly enforced which we didn't care about so much, but my fiance got refused service at one restaurant that stated collared shirts and pants because he was wearing dress sandals, not even flip flops. There were men who were allowed in who were in shorts and t-shirts, so very unfair, esp seeing as to how the room was a 10 min walk away and I had to sit alone while he went and changed. It seemed like a lot of the staff expected to be tipped even though tips were supposedly included. Bottled water is lacking and you had to basically beg for extra. Housekeeping was hit or miss. There are local vendors who will bug you if you let them.

Overall I would return to a Sandals, but not this one. It is old and needs updates especially to the rooms. I am considering Sandals Antigua, or St. Lucia for my next Sandals experience, but truthfully I will likely choose a different brand all inclusive next time!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RealRater
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had the best honeymoon! We picked Montego Bay because it was one of the cheaper options and b/c it was so close to the airport, we wanted to start our honeymoon right away! We have never been to a Sandals before and we were very impressed. The staff was so friendly. They are constantly going out of their way to make sure your stay is a fantastic one. They went above and beyond. The only problem we had was not having a phone for our butler the frist 2 days, they were out of phones. But it was fine our butler Dwayne checked in on us a lot, brought us refills and food. We had 2 butlers and they were the best! They would draw us baths, bring us champagne, leave us night snacks on the bed! We can not wait to come back! We had a room right by the swim up bar which is a really nice area. There is not much beach due to some bad storms they have had, they do have to bring in sand but there is plenty of room to walk from end to end and plenty of room to lay out and relax. You do hear an airplane every now and then but it really is not that bad, they don't fly at night.

The food was fabulous!!! The drinks were fabulous!!! We can not wait to return and we will be doing so for on one of our anniversarys!! Thank you Sandals Montego Bay for making our Honeymoon so special, romantic, fun and so perfect :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sammy K
Carlsbad, California, United States
Reviewed January 10, 2013

For me San Diego too cool water for learning scuba, so went here instead. Water in 80's, really clear except during some rainstorms. All inclusive makes things easier, although some things not included (e.g. wetsuit). Like proximity to airport although bothers some others. Definitely adults, so no kids running around, and really don't have to be couples. Food good, but never went to any of the reservation required places. Lost weight this week with the activities.

Room Tip: Ask on any last minute upgrade specials if they have availaibiity.