“Awsome!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Awsome!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2003

My husband and I went to MoBay for our honeymoon and had the best time.
The staff was always helpful and the coordinators had something on the go at all times. They dont make you feel obligated to join in which we liked. The fodd was amazing.The buffet in the morning was a room full of everthing you could imagine.The other restaurants were great as well.Now we went two years ago and have gone away to two other resorts-and they do not compare to what we experienced.All I can say is dont let the negative attitudes towar this resort sway you- You have to go there expecting their poverty and lifestyle-They dont live like we do!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,209)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2003

My husband and I just returned from a stay at Sandals in Montego Bay.
Like I stated, it all depends what you're used to. I guess we were spoiled when we vacationed at the first-class Sandals iRoyal Bahamian.
I don't think I'd ever go back to Jamaica, but I'd return to a Sandals resort in a minute. When we checked out you get to fill out the review.
Well I gave the resort a Fair Grade-from room service, food, to bar service. In closing, it all depends what you're used to, and next time we'll pay more for a higher-class resort.

Wallingford, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2003

I just got back from attending a friend's wedding at Sandals Montego Bay. I've been to beautiful all-inclusives in Jamaica, and this is not one of them. To make this short and sweet: 1. The place is dilapidated. It takes a lot to keep a resort nice, and they just don't paint, replace, and renovate. So many things are just patched together. Our room REEKED of cat urine, and the bathroom was patched together with grout and caulk. We spent as little time there as possible.
2. The food is bland, and be prepared-- you will end up at the buffet for most meals. I have been to Ciboney in Ocho Rios, and they would not think of subjecting their guests to this kind of food. Even the premium restaurant, Tokyo Joe's, is basically a stirfry hut. I make better stir frys at home.
3. The pools are small, though very well kept. We hung at the swim up bar most of the day. Only complaint with this is the watered down alcohol. I had 8-9 frozen drinks in about 4 hours, ostensibly with rum, and couldn't even catch a buzz.
4. The service is a D. Yes, the people are nice, but frankly, compared to other Jamaican resorts (costing not much more than this), they were not very attentive. It seems like they have a defined level of service, and they won't go past it.
5. The planes are not that annoying. There are plenty of other things to be annoyed at other than the planes.

There are great places in Jamaica. Probably the other Sandals are much nicer than this. My advice-- spend a little more money and really get service and a beautiful resort.

1 Thank Glenn301
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2003

Me & my wife to be visited Sandals 10/19 thru 10/25 it was the best trip to Jamaica we've ever had, but I have to be honest it was kinda rough at the start, when we arrived at Sandals we took one look at the place as we pulled into the driveway & I could only say "Damn, I wanna go back to the airport", my bride to be looked like she was gonna burst into tears, all we could think about was all the negative things some people had to say on the review board before we left, I had to stay to see if they were right...damn good thing we did stay. once we made sure our luggage was safe & secure we we're greeted by Alford, he gave us a cold glass of chapagne & a quick rundown of things, like the oreientation that we had to attend later that afternoon, we skipped that but we did get right to making our resrevations for all the restraunts & had no problem doing, that after that we were told that we had to wait til 3pm for our room to be ready..that was at 10:30am...trust me ...I wasn't happy to hear that...I don't know about some people but I like to shower & chance into something comfortable after a 3hr flight, but I didn't stress we took a lil stroll to the grill on the beach & got a lil bite to eat, we killed about an hour there we then went back to the front desk hopping that there was a chance our room would be ready a lil early...what was I thinking, they smiled & said no...our room wouldn't be ready til 3pm....well let me tell you...I was about to snap!!, How could you tell us that wew we're to be treated like VIP's & not have our room ready...well Alford must have seen the look on my face & came over to see what was wrong...With fire in my eyes I told him I was ready to get on the first thing smokin off the island, with a smile & a pat on the back Alford said wait one moment...he went to the front desk & withen 5sec he came back & said our room was ready, HOT DAMN!! it was time to begin the fun...5min we were in our room...our nice, clean, cold room(smile)....after all that we were showered, changed, out & bout withen the hour....to think I had to put on my ugly face to get into our room early...anyways we returned to the lobby to see what our next move would be & what do I hear from across the lobby....my name being yelled ouyt like I was back at home on the block...(((((DAVID))))).......lol...it was Alford, he wanted to make sure all was good, I tell ya ....Alford sure made me feel like Sandals was home...if you happen to bump into him ...tell him Dave says Hi. About our room ....we were on the 3rd floor of the Palms block, very colse to the spa, what a view!!!...The beach was perfect, all types of watersports, there was even Parasailing, but they weren't with Sandals...it was a "Do at your own risk" kinda thing, my baby watched as some guest tried it & she had to give it a try.....She loved it!!!...but she wasn't gonna get my *** up there, I was more into the Jet Ski, thats right people they were on the beach as well ....Again they were not Sandals but they were there, it was great & not expensive. there's so much to tell & not enough time to tell it all , but if you have any questions that you would like to ask, please feel free to E-Mail me or my wife at LittleSalsaDoll@aol.com

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2003

Terrific value for an all inclusive! Excellent service, upgraded our room to a top floor suite with an outstanding view of the beach. Enough privacy to keep a safe distance from all the activities if you choose.
However, make reservations in advance for all the restaurants, especially those at the neighboring resorts. Will return someday.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2003

My husband and I were just back from our trip from October 10-18, 2003.
Overall, it was not what we had expected. This was our first Jamaica and all inclusive vacation. When we arrived at Sandals at 7am on the first day, our room were not ready until 2pm. Even though we paid for the primum room, they put a note and told us they had upgraded us from delux to primum. After we check in our room, there were mold smell in the room and you can actually see the mold spots on walls, curtain and bedspread. The pillow had the worst mold smell of all. So we asked the front desk to see if we can switch the room. We were there 7 nights, and we checked with the reservation desk to see if there were any other rooms avaliable every day for 6 days staight, they did not switch us.
The food were terrible in all the restaurants. We were able to make reservation for all the restaurants but trust me, for those who didn't, you did not miss much. The beach was very beatiful though. I guess that's why they charged this resort more than the other two Sandals in Montego Bay because of the beach and the convenience to the watersport.
Speaking of watersport, the scuba diving instructor was so mean, i couldn't believe it. Because I didn't past the 6 laps around the pool swimming test, he wouldn't even give me the lesson. I told him I just want to learn in the pool, and would not go out to the ocean, and he still refused to teach me. There were some watersport pictures that were shown in the brochure, we didn't see them. The bar were not too bad, although once a while you will get different stuff than what you ordered. My advise to those from big cities such as LA, NY or SF, and you have traveled to few places, this would not be up to what your usual standard in terms of rooms, food and services. It is not like what they have in the brochure. So be prepared. Most of the staff weren't that helpful or friendly, and don't expect them to go out of their way to help you or solve your problems. If you do travel on Air Jamaica, the pre-check in program is pretty good. Oh, by the way, the airplanes are loud even to us (who live right next to the major freeway in Los Angeles), but you will get used to it. In conclusion, this is not the luxury vacation you may have expected.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2003

My Wife and I went to Sandals Mo Bay 10/11 - 10/18/03. We had a Great time, we are in our 40's we went Scuba Diving 3 times (could have gone more, ran out of time) Went to the Thai Rest. at Sandals Royal, it was Great! (You have to like Thai food) ate at Tokyo Joe's, Cucina Romano, Oleander all very good for an all inclusive. The Water Sports, and daytime activities were all fun. Went on two excursions Dunn's River Falls all day, recommended. And the Catamaran Booze Cruise, not recommended, We have been on other Booze Cruises in Mexico, and had a much better experience. They take you for Snorkeling for about 15 minutes, then to Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, where you have to pay for whatever you would want there, I would recommend taking the money you would spend on the Booze Cruise and taking a taxi straight to Margaritaville (Margaritaville is deffinately fun!) The resort was clean, we were upgraded from Deluxe to Premium right behind the Pool Bar, (Best Location, and room) from my perspective. The cats are no problem, the Airplanes though loud for about 15 seconds did not seem a nuisance. When we went to the Sandals Royal, the planes going over were just as loud, and lasted twice as long. Definately take Air Jamaica, the pre-flight check-in on the last day of vacation gives you so much more time at the resort, and you don't waste time at the airport. Left the resort at 6:00 p.m. on the plane at 6:30, in the air at 6:50. Now the Only negatives - Check in is not until 3:00 p.m. so if you arrive early be prepared to have a swimsuit with you, and something to carry your valuables around with, also the Bar services are extremely S-L-O-W!! most of the time there was only one bartender waiting on 10 - 20 people. Other than that we will definately be going back. Oh Yeah we did visit to other Sandals their, Ocho Rios, and Royal Thai both were very nice, but smaller beaches, and definately fewer people, and quieter atmosphere. Sandals Mo Bay is Great for everyone !

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 in White House
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,559 reviews
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!