5,980 results
All reviews palms building our honeymoon oleander room almonds building cucina romana tokyo joes stew fish butler service piano bar bayside restaurant sea grapes royal caribbean close to the airport cafe de paris main bar water skiing water sports
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Absolutely couldn't ask for more! Beautiful resort with the most friendly and attentive staff.

Your vacation starts the moment you are off the plane. You are greeted by the Sandals staff and escorted to their private lounge. Plenty of drinks and snacks and a shower/changing area to freshen up. We waited less than 10 minutes for the bus to arrive and we were at our hotel within 10 minutes. We were greeted at the hotel with a cool cloth and brought to the concierge desk to check in. There we met our concierge for the week, Reyon, who was absolutely fabulous! He went beyond our expectations and was always checking on us to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

The rooms were the perfect size and very clean. Room attendants came by at least twice a day to tidy up, give us towels, stock the mini bar, and provide down-turn service. We had an ocean-view room with a balcony overseeing the beach. Beds were comfortable and never had a problem falling asleep. The only noise you heard were the planes, but they don't fly overhead past 10:00pm. (Even during the day the planes didn't bother us much....we were just happy to be on vacation!)

This resort has AMAZING food! Between the buffets and casual/formal resturants, there was always something you liked. Best part, there was food/snacks available 24/7. If you're craving a late night snack, the pub bar is open till 5am! Favorite resturants were Bayside for breakfast (had an omlette every morning with delicious fruit), Tokyo Joe's and Cucina Roma for dinner. The pizza bar is a great spot to have lunch! Fresh pizza made just for you and jerk chicken was a favorite of ours.

The service at this resort is top notch. Staff are so attentive and ready to assist you. They take the time to show you around, get to know you and make you feel welcome.

I reccommend to take a day and do a tour to discover the island of Jamaica outside of the resort. We did a day tour which took us to the Black River, YS Falls and a tour of the Appleton Rum Factory. We saw first hand the living conditions and daily life of the Jamaican people. It is an experience I will never forget!

I have absolutely no complaints about this resort. I'm sure people could find things to dislike and complain about but to us, if there is sun and drinks we are happy! A vacation is what you make of it. Set your expectations too high and you're bound to be disappointed. We came in with an open mind and were blown away! We will definitely be returning to Montego Bay!

PS... Make sure to ask for "the good stuff" when getting drinks. If you ask, you shall receive!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank dasilva88
Reviewed January 5, 2012

we stayed at sandals mo bay in sep 2011 a couple of 47 and 50 year olds.
This was the best hotel and beach out of all the sandals in this area the royal carabian is worth a trip to on the free shuttle bus and you can eat drink at that hotels and use there facilities like you were at your own hotel, but dont go to the carlyle.
Yes the hotel backs onto the air port but it was not a problem with the airoplanes taking off as they never fly after a certon time and they were quite interesting to see take off.
The staff were fantastic and couldnt do enougth for you make sure you visit the cricketers pub the staff are great and do great shocks and stay open to 5 am. Try and visit all the restaraunts as they were great The room was luxury four poster bed and the fridge was restocked every day at no extra cost you can drink and eat as much as you like. WE would return to this hotel again and stay at sandals thank you to all the staff at mo bay. The only draw back not in the hotel but as soon as you land in jamaica is a lot of people want and expect tips and some can be quite rude but dont let you put you off as we also met alot of nice jamaicans.

Room Tip: The rooms near the voley ball court are great go for 3rd floor great sea view or ground floor with your own patio straight onto beach.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mike t
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at MoBay end of Oct. thru the first week in November. We had an absolutely wonderful time. It is so easy to just stay at the resort because everything you need is there - great accommodations, food, water sports, etc. However, I would recommend getting away for at least one day to 'discover' a little bit of the rest of Jamaica.

We climbed the falls at Dunn's River in Ocho Rios and also zip-lined through Mystic Mountain. The tour van took care of everything, which included a very hospitable tour guide and Jamaican tunes both going and back. Very enjoyable day.

Back to MoBay: I am giving this property 5 Stars, not because of what that typically means (top of the line) but because of the quality of the experience we had there. What I mean to say is that it is probably a 4 Star resort with a 5 Star 'experience'! We can't say enough about the staff and how hard they all worked to make our stay enjoyable. It was very obvious to me that the staff is well managed and encouraged to ensure the guests' enjoyment at all times. Plus, they looked like they were having a fun time themselves! This didn't appear to be 'fake' fun, either. Unless we were really fooled, I believe that the Sandals employees genuinely like their jobs - and their interactions with the guests.

The Playmakers (Guest Services staff) put on daily activities on the beach - and shows nightly, displaying their many and diverse talents. Much of what they do is have fun with the resort guests! What is nice is that you can choose to participate or just chill by the water with your favorite rum drink of the moment :) I would recommend getting involved, though, as you will have more fun and better memories of your time there. Speaking of Playmakers, there is one in particular, Jodian, who has more energy than 10 people! She is an outstanding worker, activity coordinator - and dancer! She is typical of the type of employee that is uniquely Sandals.

I also want to mention Joseth, who is on the management staff. We had a personal incident that was of concern to us, and she handled it in a most kind and professional way. This is not anything that needed to be mentioned, but I wanted to highlight the way she responded to us, and to state again that high quality care seems to be the Sandals way.

We took the (free) shuttle to Sandals Royal Caribbean, and we liked being able to see another property and join in on the 'experience' there. They have an island beach as part of their property (Paradise Island) and we spent a few very pleasurable hours there and also had lunch. As a guest at one Sandals, you have property and dining privileges at all of the others - a very nice touch.

We are definitely Sandals fans now! If you are planning a family vacation, I have also heard great things about Beaches, which is part of the Sandals family, and worth a consideration.

Sandals MoBay is right next to the airport - and not a problem at all. Actually, I think of it as a plus because we were at the resort within 10 minutes of exiting the airport! So much better to enjoy the great Jamaican sunshine and its people... Our trip was in honor of our 30th anniversary, and it was the perfect place to go! I highly recommend this resort if you want no problems, mon!

Room Tip: The Sea Grapes building near the back pool and swim-up bar is a nice area, and the first floor has close access to the pool, but don't stay on that floor unless they have changed the patio door access to electronic room key. This was in the planning process when we were there, and the electronic access will make for better security as the patio doors are French doors and not as stable as they should be.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ckpLouisvilleKY
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Loved the Sandals experience! Great food, fantastic service and luxury accommodations! Have a great 4 night trip. Loved the shows and the dancing! The staff were so friendly and accommodating! Have a plain room, but it was clean and the view was nice. The restaurants were great (Japanese, seafood and steakhouse). Loved the catamaran trip to Margaritaville! The snorkeling at the coral reef was the best ever! We absolutely love Jamaica and the Jamaican people! We also loved the Sandal's hospitality and would gladly return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank B3achLov3r
Reviewed December 31, 2011

My wife and I are in our thirty’s and have been going to Sandals resorts about once a year for the last several years. Once again we booked through Amy McHugh from Dream Makers Vacation Services. Everything about our trip worked out as planned. Thanks Amy.

Room: For the first time in a long time we ended up with the same category room we booked. No upgrades this time, darn. The room we had did the job and we were ok with it, but it was very basic. The bathroom was small and a little dingy, the bedroom area was smallish it felt a little cramped, and the balcony was decent. The bed was comfortable, the TV had plenty of channels (not that we watched much) and it was nice having a refrigerator with juice, water and soda in it.

Resort: The resort was very nice and well maintained. It blows me away to see how many people are constantly landscaping, raking the beach, painting, and doing all kinds of regular maintenance. The beach, pools, gym, and restaurants are all nice and about what you’d expect them to be. The resort was very busy; I’d guess it was at capacity. Even though it was busy food, drinks, and beach chairs were always reasonably easy to get. It’s a fairly spread out resort so it handles the crowd well. We also went over to the Carlyle and the Royal. Both of those are very nice too. The beach at the Carlyle (off the resort) is a joke but we knew that. The island at the Royal is of my favorite places in the world. They have a very good lunch service there now, awesome.

Food: We ate at all three Sandals resorts in MoBay. In general everything was very good. We did the breakfast buffet at SMB most days and it was ok. It was a little disappointing they didn’t have more fresh tropical fruit, but had a good variety of typical breakfast foods. We did like the breakfast buffet at the Royal a little better. The jerk chicken at the SMB beach grill was our favorite lunch. We tried a little of everything for dinner. We had very slow service at the SMB Bayside and I ended up with a very salty seafood stew that was our only completely disappointing dinner. A couple of our favorites were Cucina Romano and the Carlyle. The rib eye at Cucina was awesome. We usually skip deserts but had to make an exception at the Carlyle, the flambé was very cool. If you get the chance check it out.

Drinks: I think we drank it all. Don’t worry I’m sure they are restocked by now. Drink service on the beach was spotty and it took 20 minutes to get a drink but it was there. My wife and I both miss the Appleton rum, but the El Dorado gets you where you want to go. If you drink rum on the rocks ask for the 12 or 15 year old stuff. The bars seemed to be out of it often, but if you can get it it’s far better than the regular stuff. Thinking of that, it was somewhat disappointing how often they “ran out of” certain things. Champaign, aged rum, ginger beer, dark rum, varieties of wine, and probably a few things I’m forgetting. With that said, we always had something good to drink and Paul at the main bar took great care of us.

People: It was great seeing some folks we met on past trips. Shana Banana and Mark at Cucina were a couple people we got to see again. Shana, I hope your back to 100% and Mark thanks for taking care of us at Cucina. We also ran into a few guests that were at Whitehouse the same time we were there last year. If your reading, hello Tracy, Robin, Lisa and Mike it was good seeing you all again. I’ve also got to say thanks again to Paul our favorite bartender.

Travel: We flew out of Milwaukee with a connection in Atlanta both ways. Our Delta flights were on time and not too bumpy. The immigration going to Jamaica had about a 35 minute line that was a first for us. No problem though, that isn’t too long and then our luggage was waiting for us instead of us waiting for our luggage. Going home we left our resort 3 hours before our flight to get to the airport. That was about 2.5 hours more than we needed. To our surprise there was virtually no line for security or customs in the MBJ airport. We were very happy about that but it did leave us with a lot of down time in the airport. Customs and immigration in Atlanta was the usually pain in the butt but the lines weren’t too long. For anyone flying out of Milwaukee, if you want a good alternative to the airport parking, try the Fast Park. It’s very easy and only about $6 a day.

Overall: We liked SMB a lot and loved being able to bounce between the other Sandals resorts. It was a great trip and we can’t wait to get back to Sandals.

Room Tip: The rooms are as described on the website. Look there for your options.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple