“El Greco was just OK..”

Ranked #30 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
WASHINGTON
“El Greco was just OK..”
Reviewed November 6, 2006

36 Y/O WM with wife,no kids...vacation/1st time in JA...3 nights at El Greco, not all-inclusive. Stayed early NOV 2006

decaying splendor...might have been the place, 30 years ago

GOOD PARTS:
*kitchenette w/ fridge & stove & utensils
*proximity to beach & strip( TALL ELEVATOR,RIGHT TO DRS CAVE) w/ free daily passes to Doctor's Cave beach
*excellent bacon & JA brkfst
*nice waiters and bellman & taxi stand man(Mr. Legend)
*nice pool w/ ocean view, all to ourselves b/c of off season
*grocery store in adjacent building where the elevator is with a very friendly staff

BAD PARTS:
*had to move rooms..we were placed above a staff side kitchen (?) and workshop so we had lots of noise and smell and no privacy on the balcony.
*very protective of their frying pans & pots.
*A/C only in bedrooms
*no ocean view rooms, regardless of what you read-views are only from restaurant & pool
*front desk reception was lukewarm at best
*tiny ants by the score streming out of power outlet

Doctor's Cave Hotel was a little better..See my other reviews and contact me with any questions

• Liked — proximity to Dr's Cave beach
  • Disliked — mislead to "ocean-view"
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at coyaba or dr's cave
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank MOMMYDONNY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Lake Norman, North Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2006

My husband and I were at the El Greco from August 19-August 22, 2006. This hotel is only a few minutes from the airport. Although we had to wait a few minutes until our room was ready, we were served delicious rum punch - never a wrong idea.
We were in a large 1-bedroom suite. Always very clean. Some reviews we read earlier complained about poor quality of towels, but just remember, this is not a 5-star hotel. Our towels were changed daily and always clean - what more do you want. We had a garden view of flowering shrubs, trees and a beautiful blue sky. The one restaurant and bar was just fine. Breakfast is included in room price, so no problems there. The view from the restaurant onto the beach area is beautiful. To get to the beach, we did have to go down an elevator, but we never had to wait more than a few minutes. Then we simply crossed the street to get to Doctor's Cave Beach. El Greco furnishes day passes. Here, you can rent chairs, umbrellas, etc. There are a couple of restaurants/bars right on the beach. Check out the Groovy Grouper and Docks. Docks would even bring iced buckets of Red Strip to our chairs. Our bellman, Sebascon, was great. Be sure to see him if you have any questions about Montego Bay. The best restaurant in Montego Bay is undoubtedly the Pork Pit. We had jerk pork, jerk chicken and ribs. For the money and the very short distance from the airport, the El Greco is a great value for your dollar.

Stayed August 2006
15 Thank Sunny DD
California
Reviewed September 7, 2006

The two bedroom suite is a two story townhouse complete with two bedrooms, two baths upstairs and livingroom, kitchen, dining area, balcony downstairs. We saw some tiny ants on the stairs near the door, that was it. Very secure... 24 hour guards everywhere... sitting between the condos, on the walkways. Rooms were clean, with plenty of towels. The airconditioner worked. You have to put a $68 hold to get the TV and airconditioner remotes.

Management and staff were polite and efficient.

The beach is down the hill and across the street requiring that you walk thru a enclosed bridge/hallway to another hotel, take an elevator down 15 floors, and cross the street to a private beach. (Doc's beach) It's a 5 minute walk. Guards are in the bridge and at the elevator.

The free breakfast is American or Jamaican... no mixing and matching. Breakfast is served in a veranda type room over looking the sea...nice view.

Yes, the locals will approach you to "sell" services or souveniers but just say "no thanks" and they'll leave you alone. As you leave restaurants or bars, you'll walk thru about 4 or 5 taxi cab drives who'll call to you... not a big deal. It's impossible to shop alone in the souvenier shops because the owners will follow you about calling out the prices of everything you lay your eyes on... this can be a bit annoying.

Dont' miss out on Dunn's fall (Ocho Rios). The fall has an entire infrastructure of changing rooms, cafes', shops, guides, railings and stairs around it that don't show in the pics online. The first half of "climbing" the falls consists of wading waste deep and climbing over rocks. If you wish to continue up the falls, people will reach out their hands to help you. At any point, you can exit out of the river thru railings on the sides.

Loved the Great House tour also.

Jamaica was humid as heck during Aug/Sept. The airport was a little chaotic (for departures).

Had taxi cab driver for three days... we paid about $250 for three days of driving (hundreds of miles).

Overall... a great experience.

• Liked — Large townhouse
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
12 Thank Traveling_Lady_456
Tampa
Reviewed August 8, 2006

I don't ask for much but I hate lies. El Greco Resort is NOT a Resort! They tell you they are one block away from the beach, which is true, but what they don't tell you is that they are 14 stories up! Yes, you have to take an elevator that belongs to another building to go down to the beach. Then they open the beach at 8:30 and close it at 5pm, which is terrible when you are on vacation and you are told how long to stay at the beach as if you were 5 years old. This was my biggest problem. Then comes the rest: the rooms are outdated, you only have a very loud AC in the bedroom and nothing on the other side, if they give you a room facing the street it is really loud. The place is clean but could be better. The towels are like 20 years old and the bathroom, well, what can I tell you!
If you go in the rainy season, the entrance to the resort is completely flooded and it gets knee high, which is not good for your car.
The restaurant is horrible and the food so-so. Better to eat some place else.
The view, very good, but only from the restaurant.
Don't go to this place. Simple as that.

• Liked — nothing positive.
  • Disliked — the water in the front entrance, the elevator, the tag in my wrist that told everybody I was a turist!
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank Checha

Travelers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2006

Travelers,
I have been going to Jamaica since 1985. I lived there from '90-95 and taught school in Mo Bay. I have been staying at 5 star hotels but this time I wanted to be with natives. This was my first stay at EL Greco and my last.
First, I have a Jamacian drivers license and expected a local rate for a 1-bedroom suite. Later I discovered this was not the price I was entitled. I never received a print out of my bill.
I just left last week(Thursday) and at the airport, I remembeered that I left something in the dresser and called the hotel immediately. The resident manager promised to search for my items and i was to call back. My friend was still at the hotel and could retrieve the item and bring it to me.
Second call, Friday and the reservationist informed me that housekeeping had found the described article and if I send a fax/email with specifics, she could get it. My friend tells me that the staff knew nothing of my inquiry and nothing was found in my vacated room.
So, the Jamaician thievery continues...........
The rooms need refurbishing bad. The maids clean very little. My toilet was clogged for three days, the stinct was awful. Roaches and fruit flies were terrible. All of this reminded me of why I became a tourist and stayed at better hotels.
If anyone knows who I can complain to, please email me. jamakamecrazi@aol.com

• Stayed July 2006
13 Thank joycely
philadelphia
Reviewed June 2, 2006

El Greco was a great resort. The rooms are really set up like apartments, with living rooms kitchens and balconies. My friend and I stayed in a one-bedroom suite with two twin beds. The size was perfectly adequate for the two of us. We would go out to the beach and take a nap or watch some tv before heading out to party.

What is included: You get breakfast, free passes to Doctors Cave beach, and free beach towels. You have the choice of an American breakfast or Jamaican. I usually ate the American breakfast though. I had the Jamaican breakfast once and it was fantastic but just a little too starch heavy for my personal taste in the morning. The free passes to the beach come in handy as we spent every day there. We usually just used the towels but umbrella rentals on the beach are very reasonably priced. The resort itself is located on a mountain that overlooks the beach (great views from the restaurant). Not many of the rooms have any views of the beach though (we stayed in B block, which had a view of the parking lot). It didnt matter much to me bcz I wasn't planning on spending much time in the room. To get to the beach, you take an elevator down 13 levels.

Staff: All very friendly and professional. The give you a drink when you arrive (take the rum punch!). Jermaine helped us carry our bags to our room. He was a very sweet young man (make sure you tip bcz carrying those bags is no joke). The hotel is really close to Marguerittaville and some place with a casino in it. There is also a very nice coffe bar down the street to the right when you get on gloucester (man, listen. get that frappucino!)

Overall it was a great stay.

Stayed May 2006
8 Thank Katdaddi
London
Reviewed May 29, 2006

Just got back from Jamaica, spent first four days and last night at the El Greco. Was totally surprised considering the star rating. Apartments were very spacious ( my 8 year old attempted a cartwheels in the bedroom and living area with all the space!), clean and felt like a home away from home, what with the huge kitchen set up. Lovely balcony attached, where we spent an evening or two chatting and sipping rum punches. The A block will give you lovely views across the beach, so try and ask for a good view with your room, grounds are well maintained. We adored the breakfast which is included, you have the choice of the hearty American or delicious Jamaican style breakfast, both of which were extremely filling. Breakfast starts with a selection of fresh fruit, followed by the Jamaician (Yams, dumplings, saltfish, plaintains, vegetables potatoe, peppered steak, mackeral as an example... it changes every day ) or the American (sausages, bacon, eggs, french toast or pancakes, hash browns... this does not change). Unlimited, coffee tea and different fruit juice every day. The other hotel we stayed at only offered continental breakfast so we really missed our El Greco breakfasts.

The hotel is nicely located minutes away from the beach, which is absolutely gorgeous, the white sands, immaculate and crystal clear water, this was my favourite beach of the trip and I visited a beach in Negril and Ocho Rios. You need a pass to get on to the beach I felt that the beaches that I went to that were more exclusive or required passes were better maintained, no cigerette butts or garbage, this beach was immaculate. Also within 5 minutes is the strip with shops and good choice of restaurants.

The only criticism would be that the hotel needs to put on more entertainment, if you dont venture out to the strip it can be quite dead at the hotel itself. The bar area is pretty awful so you dont feel enticed to hang out there. We hired a car, one member of our group is Jamaican so we had a great tour guide. Negril is only an hour and half drive, worth the day out trip, in the opposite direction is Ochio Rios ( 1 and half hour drive) so explore. Check out the famous Ricks restaurant in Negil... breath taking views... watch the young guys diving of the cliff edges whilst you sip pina coladas!!

At El Greco,make sure you get your welcome rum punch on arrival and departure... very tasty! Dwayne saved a breakfast table for us every morning on his station and treated us fab, do remember to leave a tip, it is much appreciated.

• Stayed May 2006