“Very pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
North Vancouver, Canada
“Very pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

The El Greco as has been reported previously is a 'find' for those who are a bit weary of all-inclusives. I stayed 9 full days and can't think of anything I didn't enjoy. The suites are equipped with kitchen, if you want to cook, but there is a bar and restaurant which serves excellent food. The staff from the front desk to the wait staff to the housekeeping staff are pleasant and helpful. I have no complaints whatsoever. The buildings are a bit dated but who cares. The bed was comfortable. The setting is particularly nice big forest behind, views of the ocean and beach in front. The hotel itself has beautiful gardens. Good restaurants are right at the bottom of the elevator which deposits you on the 'hip strip' with Doctors Cave Beach a few steps away and free to El Greco residents. There is a little 'commissary' on site and a convenience store at the bottom of the elevator which has very reasonable prices on everything from booze to nuts.
I loved the fact that you could choose to be active or just to sun at the pool or at the beach and return to your accommodation whenever you liked. There were plenty of tours available. The safety deposit is not complimentary. There may be some old information sheets around. I was very fortunate to spot a Doctor Bird, Jamaica's national bird who is an absolutely gorgeous humming bird with two long tail feathers. What a treat.
There was some partying on a weekend night but it closed down at a reasonable time. Otherwise very quiet and peaceful. I do plan to go back sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor by choice but there are higher room with views. I have some pictures but...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank waterrat1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this resort with my husband for a few days around New Years, and I was pleasantly surprised of the what you get for your money. No it is not all-inclusive, but they do have great breakfasts, free wifi and free access to the beach which is just across the street. The accommodation itself consists of a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen which we used to cook our own lunches and dinners. The grounds itself are very well maintained and the staff for the most part were quite helpful and polite. If you are looking for a home away from home, I would recommend this resort, although it is much better suited for singles or couples as outside of a pool, ping pong table and tennis court, there is not much to entertain the kiddies.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Lorraine M
ElGrecoResort, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Lorraine,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review.

There are a variety of games available at the front desk for children and adults. Our location makes it easy to access the beach and other attractions close by.

We look forward to having you with us again.

Bath, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the el greco for one week. When I checked in I was charged 21 dollars to be able to access the safety deposit box. Then I got to the room and it was over all nice. The next day I read the information book on the hotel and saw that the saftey deposit box was complimentary!! Felt riped off by the front desk lady!! I go go Jamaica every few months to visit my boyfriend dont know if ill go back to this hotel just because I feel like the front desk ladies will scam you!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jholdsworth
ElGrecoResort, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your review. We do charge for the safety boxes. There are a few suites in which the information books need to be updated. We are working on that. Please be assured that the charge of US$3.00 per night is a legitimate charge. If there is any matter that you would to bring to our attention, please feel free to email me at elgreco4@cwjamaica.com.

Wednesbury, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Had a lovely stay here with my boyfriend.
Restaurant staff very friendly, food was fantastic. Reccomend the curry goat and rice!
Free wristband to doctors cave beach and also free wifi which is fab!
Hav recommended to family in jamaica and also friends!
Will b back very soon

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank roxyhart1989
876-940-6115, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our property.

We are happy that you had an enjoyable experience. We always strive to deliver the best service.

We are eager to have you again with us!

All the best!

New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at the El Greco for 6 nights. I stayed in a "deluxe" suite in the A Building, which staff said had been recently renovated...if recently means the 80s. Standard ammenities like an iron, ironing board, hair dryer and kitchen supplies were only available upon request. When I did request these items, it took 48 hours before I received anything (with multiple calls) and never was able to get the hair dryer, because there is only one per building. I asked for 3 days and was never able to have it. The staff is slow getting anything done. I went to dinner on my 3rd night and waited 20 minutes before I even got a glass of water. I finally ordered room service in the restaurant because I wasn't getting any service with a half full dining room. Dinner took over 2 hours to arrive. There is only AC in the bedroom and one fan in the rest of the room.
Now, for the positive. Free access to Doctor's cave beach. It's an elevator ride down, beautiful, clean, good service there. There is also a supermarket, a post office and you're right on the hip strip (Gloucester St.). The view is nice from the restaurant. I can't imagine any of the rooms having a great view, they all faced the road or a parking lot, or both (like mine...in the deluxe suite...).

Room Tip: Go for the location. Not for the service.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Katie A
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.

Every suite has an ironing board. Irons and hairdryers are usually provided upon request. However, all superior suites come with irons, hair dryers, shampoos, conditioners, body lotion, toothbrush and toothpaste. If you did not have these in your room then you might have gotten a regular suite. Our deluxe suites were refurbished last year. Some of our suites will give you a nice view of the ocean, depending on which floor you are on.

Once again, I apologize for the inconveniences. We welcome the opportunity to address these issues. You may email me at elgreco4@cwjamaica.com

Travelers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

We have lots of things to do in montego bay so i always stay at el greco. It is both private and high on a cliff above the hip strip, also centrally located so when you take the elevator down through the Montego Bay Club codo building (14 floors) you are right on the hip strip. I always hire Jamaican Routes - http://www.jamaicanroutes.com/ - to drive me around. Gabby is the best and knows everyone form here to Negril and Ocho Rios and all the best places to go from this very comfortable hotel.
El Greco serves food in the dining room where they give you two choices of jamaican breakfast and bacon and eggs for the less adventuroius. it is a great place to plan your things to do in Jamaica. The rates were reasonable for a two bedroom suite with thre bathrooms! (+,- 140.00)

Room Tip: pick the suites on the top floor, approx 20 stories above Doctor's Cave beach
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review.

We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to Montego Bay. We appreciate you choosing El Greco Resort as your #1 choice for accommodation.

We hope to have you again with us!

Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

The hotel overlooks Doctors Cave beach which is a quick 14 store elevator. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

There is a convenient grocery store (expensive) in the adjacent condo building so have your driver take you to the local Hi-Low supermarket first if you plan on using the kitchen. You will also have to check out all cooking items at the front desk such as pots, pans, knives etc.

Really my only complaint is the balcony was VERY small, just enough room for two persons. If we had had an an extended stay this would have been a problem.

Room Tip: Ask your taxi drive to go to the local super market before arriving to save money on food.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
876-940-6115, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Our balconies are smaller in the One Bedroom Suites as these suites are more suitable for 1-2 persons. We do have a commissary on property which stocks snacks, juices, liquors, cooking items and personal items. We do welcome you to come again and we would be more than happy to recommend places that you can shop on your next visit.