“Dated hotel - broke my tooth on a fried dumpling at breakfast”
Review of El Greco Resort

El Greco Resort
Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Dated hotel - broke my tooth on a fried dumpling at breakfast”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Staying at El Greco right now, December 2013.
We booked a 'suite' which is supposed to accommodate up to four people. We are a family of 3 staying here on a bed and breakfast basis, we paid for 3 adults. We have a bedroom, en suite bathroom and a kitchenette with a lounge area where they've put in the third bed for my daughter. We do have to constantly remind the housekeeping to bring the 3rd towel, the 3rd set of the kitchen utensils etc.
The room is clean enough, decor quite dated but that doesn't bother me much really. We have a problem with ants in the bathroom and kitchen area. Cannot leave any food or drinks out for longer than a couple of seconds or the little ants appear all over it, again this is something you can learn to adapt to - just wash up and wipe everything clean immediately.

The breakfast is a bit of a joke - small portions. No breakfast buffet, you have to order and wait. Choice: American or Jamaican breakfast. Your American breakfast is supposed to include fried/scrambled eggs, toast/French toast and bacon but they're out of bacon most of the time - 'waiting for delivery'. Jamaican breakfast is a bit more generous however even though the menu at the reception lists the fried plantain, you do not get it unless you ask for it specifically and even then they're either out of it or the staff insists it is not included in your breakfast. You may be asked for extra 3USD if you want to swap the salt fish for eggs in your Jamaican breakfast.
The man at the table gets served first and the largest portion - very funny!
Service is all right, polite, maybe a little 'laid-back' but you do not wait for your food that long. Coffee is not too bad, it is the real filter coffee not the instant crap you usually get at the all inclusive hotels.
The view from the El Greco restaurant is absolutely stunning - you can see the famous Doctor's Cave Beach and quite a bit of the 'Hip Strip' and Montego Bay - that alone compensates for the shortcomings at breakfast.
THE NEGATIVE AT THIS HOTEL SO FAR - I BROKE MY TOOTH ON THE FRIED DUMPLING AT BREAKFAST, there was a bit of hard matter in it, no idea what that was. I complained about it but the waiter had a semi ironic smile on his face, the restaurant manager came out to talk to me and then after a bit of wait she came out again, told me the hotel manager is busy and will ring me at my hotel room later. Then with a big smile she says, 'Enjoy your day. Bye!'. Sure I will enjoy my day - I can't actually eat until I fix my tooth! 2 hours later still no phone call.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mish M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Nice place to ralax and unwind. Staff very pleasant. great view from the restaurant. food was great, needed a bit more variety but ok for the short stay i guess. not sure if this is with all the girls at the front desk, but one of them was a bit flirty with my bf. she is the one with the white plastered face and black hands.(maybe its the illness that changes skin colour) other than that everything else was perfect. room was spacious. sabastion the bell man was very helpful. joval in the bar was pleasant as well.

Room Tip: choose d block where its quiter. as for sabastian, very helpful
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tamianar
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Great location and felt safe, but it was just weird. We just had that eerie feeling like we were being watched or listened to the whole time we were there. The hotel staff would call us and ask us odd questions at mysterious & always inconvenient times & we just felt like something weird was going on.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank bigragu2001
876-940-6115, Director of Sales at El Greco Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Hello. Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you felt as though you were being watched too closely. Each night, the agent at the front desk calls each suite and checks with the guests to see if they might have any special requests. Usually, if there is a need for any further assistance he/she will assign the bellman or the houseman to ensure that everything is ok. We really want our guests to be comfortable and we are always trying to gain feedback. I am really sorry if this was somewhat creepy to you. I hope we will see you again.

Regards,
Ordia Ricketts

Travelers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Denmark
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Arrived at the El Greco on Saturday Nov. 9. Stayed 2 nights and everything was clean but very old fashioned. Air condition only in the bedrooms. Staff not looking happy, maybe not enough business. Internet slow and low. Breakfast with a fantastic view, but no Breakfast buffet. You have to order breakfast and be advised there is not much... We booked for 2 adults and 1 child ( 15 years ) on their homepage, there was a special offer ( rac rate incl. breakfast ) for a room acc. 4 people but as we arrived they wanted money for my son also ( 45 us dollars ) so we paid 185 us for this room. I tried to complain but no reaction. We could have stayed at the Hilton all incl. for 385 a night. Will not return at El Greco.....

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank simonsfar
Toluca, Mexico, Mexico
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I travelled through the region in September/October 2013, returning home to diligently write reviews of all the hotels I'd stayed at. I forgot one - El Greco. And for good reason. It's dated. The owners must own it outright and care little about patronage. The staff are obtuse, rude and unhelpful. The dining room has great views but has a plywood ceiling. It's uber close to the beach and main strip but Montego Bay itself is one of the most unpleasant places I've travelled and I won't be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wezy B
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The El Greco resort is a great location just 5 minutes drive from Donald Sangster Montego Bay Airport and almost right on the beach which can be accessed via an elevator from the attached condominium block. Don't forget to ask at reception for your free pass to the beach each day. This is a good low budget hotel in Montego Bay for visiting Jamaica. I stayed in an appartment in A block which was reasonably sized with en-suite bathroom and air-conditioning in the bedroom and kitchen / dining room lounge. The room had a good sized balcony which looked out onto the gardens. The resort is secure and gaurded. Jamaican breakfast is included in the price and served every morning from the restaurant. The stunning view of the beach from the restaurant was one of the main highlights. This view is slightly spoilt by the condition of the Montego bay condiminium building (where lift access is) which is in serious need of a lick of paint!

Cooking utensils aren't provided in the room but I had no trouble requesting the small saucepan I needed from reception and it was promptly delivered. The wi-fi is free from the room and it was an excellent service. There was a lightning storm which knocked out the wi-fi in parts of the resort for 1 night and it was promptly repaired the following day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Dale T
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Hotel is ok, there is a lift that takes you down the tce to the beach. check in staff were extremely rude seemed like they where annoyed to serve us... maybe just a cultural thing
wifi was good and worked the whole time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple