“A perfect holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
West Sussex, England
“A perfect holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

This is the third Sandals we have visited, the others being the Halcyon in St Lucia and Antigua, and this was our favourite.

The major difference over the others was the attitude of the staff, nothing was too much trouble, and they are extremely friendly. We would quite often talk to the waiters for a while during and after meals or when we saw them around the property.

The property is also looked after to a very high standard, the gardens are beautiful, and tended to daily. They were also continually painting and maintaining the buildings whilst we were there. We even saw one of the water sports staff using his scuba gear to enable him to clean the bottom of one of the pools.

The property is not large and there isn't really the opportunity to go for walks along the beach or around the gardens, unlike the others we have been to. The beach areas are not large either, and split into 3 by piers, we spent the majority of our time by the pool in front our room (Kensington block), which was on the whole quiet in comparison to the main beach.

The food was very good. We enjoyed all the restaurants, with the Courtyard being our particular favourite. We didn't visit any of the othe other 2 properties so cannot comment on the food there although we heard good reports on Tokyo Joes. As has already been reported in other reviews, I could not see any watering down of drinks and there was certainly no need for tipping, if you wanted extra spirits you only needed to ask rather than tip.

The beach sellers canoe along the front but a polite no thanks will stop them from hassling you.

We did 1 tour, the canopy tour which was excellent. We found the tour desk very helpful and not pushy at all.

You will hear some aircraft noise, on average about 8 filghts went over each day, ranging in time from about 8am up until 9pm. The noise only lasts about 30 secs and isn't a problem.

As signature guests our room was upgraded to a honeymoon luxury beachfront concierge room. We have a whirpool bath and a fridge restocked daily with both water, soft drinks and alcohol and our maid looked after the room beautifully. We also enjoyed the signature meal on Wed by the pool and there is a sunset cruise on each Friday as well which we heard was very good.

If you are travelling from the UK, don't use Air Jamaica, althought the actual flights were OK we were redirected to Kingston on the way out and had a 5 1/2 delay on the way back. I believe that from Oct Virgin are taking over the daily route from Heathrow so that should improve things.

All in all, we would head bak to SRC as soon as is possible.

8 Thank Steve027

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,343)
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

This place is horrible. I do not understand the positive reviews. The food was awful and the resort was old. We paid extra for the butler service, the one butler was great the other was horrible. Again, the food was inedible, the drinks were watered down and the only beer was Red Stripe. Also, the room was disgusting, the bathroom was gross, the beach was small and disappointing and the surrounding area was like a third world country, we left the resort to shop and were actually afraid for our lives. Do not go to Jamaica, if you must stay at the Ritz, this place was awful and not high class at all. What a waste of precious vacation time and money.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everythin
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank traveler57705
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2007

Let me start by saying that we were a little concerned about our vacation after reading reviews on this site that were negative ... all of our fears and concerns were put aside once we got "home", aka Sandals Royal Caribbean.

I will attempt to keep this as short as possible, but will break it up into sections like other reviewers as I found that helpful as well.

Arrival - warning - airport does not have AC, but we were so happy to just finally be starting our vacation, we didn't really care. The Sandals lounge does have AC and Red Stripe while you wait for the shuttle ride to the resort. At our hotel, we were greeted with musicians sining some Bob Marley, champagne and a mini massage by Red Lane (promo to come back) while we were checked in. Although we arrived before check in, they had no problem getting us in the room early.

Room - at first, we were a little bummed by the location of our room - front of the resort by the 'south pool', or 'front pool' as we called it. After the first night, we LOVED our room - we didn't have to hear any construction going in the morning (working on the DISCO) or the entertainment at night (if we wanted a quiet, early night). It was a Premium room and just recently refurbished. We had a mini frig with soda, water and juice that was restocked daily. Upon talking to other guests, we were some of the only "lower category" rooms to have this! And, we were literally steps away from the pool, which as all to us at night. Finally, I thought this was a plus, but heard others complain, in effort to conserve energy, you have to use your room card to turn on the electricity to the room (the AC will still run, don't worry). I thought it was a clever way to ensure no waste!

Water Sports - I list this next because we participated everyday! My husband and I took the "Discover SCUBA diving course the 2nd day - $70 a person. We loved it so much, our instructor, Shaq told us about how we could use that class and money and apply it to our SCUBA PADI certification with only one more day of classes, which we did. So, we walked away with a lifetime certification. The SCUBA staff is wonderful - Shaq, David and John Wayne are all wonderful! Great to learn from and dive with. We spent everyday of our trip on a dive. Tip - I'm not much to get motion sickness, but the waves are rough where you dock to dive - the gift shop sells Drymamine for only a dollar per two pills, not a bad deal when you're in need. Also, I got stung by a jelly on a dive, not a big deal, but the nurse on the resort was very nice and treated it quickly and took all the pain away. We didn't do any other water sports because most of them didn't interest us. The hydrobike looked like a ridiculous amount of work and the water sports staff wouldn't let you go very far in the kayak. Besides, when you can dive 40 feet under water, there isn't much to see above! The Hobie Cats did look like fun, but we didn't want to take the time to take another lesson.

Food - I guess we are either easy to please or not picky. We did have our favorites and not favorite meals while there, but overall thought that it was divine. We were disappointed in the Thai - we are very spoiled where we live and have excellent Thai often. The atmosphere of the Royal Thai is fun and nice. There was a great breeze and fun views of Jamaica. You are served a variety of food, but your only 'choice' is the soup. It wasn't "bad", just not "Thai". Most people we talked to during the week agreed. Do go, and go for the later seating, they won't rush you off the island. We finished early and got a bed out by the beach and took the last possible shuttle back to mainland. It was beautiful! ..... Courtyard was our favorite at RC - we ate there twice. Great service, excellent food and choices. The menus change on Monday, so if you are there over a weekend, you will have the chance to try two menus (like us!). We ate at the Pavilion (Jamaican food) - it was good but not outstanding like some other places. The food we got was 'jerk' and very spicy - but very good. I felt like we were some of the last ones to eat that night as they were staring to clear tables. I think the experience would have been better had we ate earlier in the evening. We didn't eat at the Regency for anything other than breakfast and lunch. Since that was the only choice for those two meals, we never wanted to go there 'three times' a day and choose dinner, but we did hear good things about it. The trick to the breakfast buffet is getting an omelet - it is the best way to get really fresh, really good food. Since we live in land of the buffets (Vegas), I try to avoid them at all cost, but I did enjoy breakfast. You can always get some fresh fruit and then order fried eggs Ala Carte' - which we did two mornings - yum! My big thing was I wanted fresh - I hate scrambled eggs on a buffet. Lunch buffet was hit and miss .... again, I don't like buffets ... so by the time we got back from our SCUBA, the lunch buffet was starting to wind down - we usually went to the beach grill and got something made to order, which suited us just as well, if not better. We loved the beach grill - I got mozz. cheese sticks almost everyday! We didn't have something we didn't enjoy. Hungry now just thinking about it!

Special Dining - If you are there on a Thursday, make reservations for "Dining Under the Stars" - it takes place on the main pool deck and only 40 couples can attend. That may have been our best meal. You do sit at a table with 4 other couples, which ended up being so much fun, we all sat and talked for hours! There is singing and white glove service. Wonderful.

Drinks - If you think they are watered down ... you may have a drinking problem ... Goodness - we watched them make the drinks! Not watered down at all! Besides ... do you really want to get totally plastered in the hot sun in the middle of the afternoon? If you want a shot - just ask - they'll pour you one! We saw a few couples totally wasted and never saw them again at night - sun and rum can be dangerous! Tracy at the beach grill bar is awesome - ask her about her Chicken Feet Soup - she spent some time telling us about dishes she makes at home. She couldn't believe that we dont' get the chicken feet with the chicken in the states. Lovely lady. Germain at the piano bar was excellent - always remembered my husband and mixed a different kind of drink for me. I don't think that I had the same drink more than twice - I wanted to try all the mixes they came up with! Banana daq. were awesome .... Hummingbird, MJB, 007, Jamaican Smile, "The Tracy Hook-up" ... too many other to name!

Other Sandals Properties - we were never so thankful for choosing RC than we were after we saw the Inn and Montego Bay. Honestly, I cannot believe that the Inn still has Sandals name on it. Public road in front, not private beach, no water sports ... need I go on? There is no comparison. MB was nice, seemed to 'big' for us and much more of a party crowd. We liked the quietness of RC. We did eat at Cucina Romana at MB and LOVED it! We liked it 2nd best to Courtyard at RC. You need reservations - worth it - totally.

Beach Parties - RC has a beach party on Friday; MB has their on Monday, so even if you are not staying for a week, you can go to one - tons of fun. Buffet on the beach with grilled steak, chicken and fish right off the grill to your plate. Fire dancer, flexible entertainer, contests, fun! I won two of the contests and ended up with 2 bottles of Rum!

Shopping - we got everything we wanted from vendors at the resort, the gift shop or airport. RC brings in craft vendors Friday afternoon - they leave by 4 so shop early. MB has the vendors at night during the beach party. You can bargain and get deals. The 'raft' vendors that are near or on the resort are harmless and human - come on people! We bought a hand carved turtle and a pair of earrings; They were the best prices that we saw the entire trip - even the craft vendors couldn't beat the prices. They were so nice and offered for us to take them back to our room and bring them the money later. We insisted on paying them first, I just couldn't take something and not pay first! If you want to buy rum, wait to the airport!!! Unless you win rum, like we did, fine, but otherwise wait - even when they have thier "sale", it is still cheaper at the airport. The 18 bottle at RC was 11 at the airport! Plus, you can get things other than rum if you wanted. We got these cute little bottles for friends - only 3.50 each. Perfect gift. The only thing that seemed cheaper in the gift shop was some of the crafty items (compared to the airport) the cheapest is to get them from the craft vendor themself.

Excursions - We did the ATV tour and Canopy tour - liked the Canopy tour the best; Only did the ATV tour b/c some friends we met won a trip and were leaving the next day (more on that later). Both of the tours offer photography - we bought at both places - it was $20 for a CD with 7 pictures - actions shots that neither of us could have taken of each other. We can print as many or as much as we like. The ATV tour does take you into a little town - I loved seeing the children - and for the first time on our trip, I felt like I was finally out of the US - staying on the resort gives you a false sense of where you really are. The Canopy tour was also a fun ride I enjoyed seeing the country.

Playmakers - they are so much fun! I did find out that they really live at the resort - good thing, they are working NON stop! Novlette and Helen are a blast! If you play games throughout the week, you earn points. Points earn you Sandals necklace, keychain, rum and T-shirt depending on how many points you have. Other games also have special prizes - the kayak race on Wed. had a prize of a free tour - which our friends gave us; There are a lot of games that have a bottle of rum as a prize, so wait to buy it - you may win it first!

Photos - we loved the professional photos. We didn't have to worry or bug others to "take our picture" ... and their camera worked A LOT better than ours! We bought 20 photos and had them put on a CD and got 2 free picture frames. Total cost was $180, pretty expensive, but the pictures were amazing. We had 89 taken over the week. They even send photographers down with the SCUBA trips.

Entertainment - yes, perhaps it was 'lacking', but we had fun everynight! We made friends with other couples and talked, or we danced to the music, sang at the piano bar, played pool at night - or swam in our little pool by our room.

Staff - wonderful - helpful, kind. Treat them nicely also and it will go along way. One of the younger staff members was studying for a test and wanted to know state abbreviations. He asked my husband and I for help as to what we knew, so we chatted with him one day while we were in the pool. After that day, he was everywhere, brining us towels, asking us how we were doing, etc. When it was time to leave, he sat with us in the lounge and chatted before we left. What a kind young man you are, Kevin.

Stolen Items - this was the ONLY bad thing that happened, but Sandals made it right - my husbands swim trunks were stolen off the drying rack outside our room; we reported it and went on with our trip. The last day, they came to our room and told us that they were unable to recover the item, so we had a credit in the gift shop in the amount of the value of the trunks.

Okay, I tried to be a detailed as possible and write about the things that we wondered before our trip. Questions - just ask me!

• Liked — Water Sports - SCUBA
  • Disliked — They wouldn't let us live there!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
24 Thank laleary
Harpenden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2007

This was a lovely hotel and the welcome was as expected. Very charming. The room was fantastic and cleaned daily to high standards. We paid for all inclusive with a butler service and the fridge had been filled with the items we had requested and then some! We were extremely impressed with our butler Ellis who bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable. He was polite and attentive at all times and even got us some strawberries to go with our daily champagne! However, all the butlers do not appear to have the same training and as we were allocated 2, they did not offer the same commitment!

All the staff here (and even the building workers) treated us with the utmost respect and made you feel very special and welcome.
If you are thinking of booking a wedding here, expect a rather conveyor belt approach as we watched several from our balcony and they were all done and dusted within and hour!

The food is served in five restaurants (all via the same kitchen we think) and was a great let down. When staying 2 weeks it becomes very samey!

The entertainment is poor and as it is all geared up for couples, not a lot of socialisation seems to happen. The disco was being refurbished when we went so there was little to do in the evenings.

The snorkeling is poor (but then again we have been spoiled by going to the red sea!). The glass bottom boat is a non event and please don't go deep sea fishing as you spend 4 hours trolling for £120! (and catch zilch!) An expensive boat ride.

We went over to the sister complex at Montego Bay and found this to be a bit more alive but too impersonal. The food here also was nothing to write home about.

This hotel is under the flight path although it does not bother you through the day it is noticeable. The Montego Bay Hotel is literally at the end of the runway so wear your ear protectors!

Beware of the local trinket salesmen t at come up to the beach. They will try to sell you more than trinkets!

The brochure photo makes the resort look a lot larger than it is and the beach was disappointing.

All in all if you want a very quiet holiday as a couple with a lovely
room, charming butler and great cleanliness...then take a chance, but
it was not worth the £9,000 it cost us! Ellis the butler made our holiday!

• Liked — The butler
  • Disliked — Food
6 Thank Mightyones
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

Our stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean more than exceeded our expectations. The staff was amazing! The property was immaculate. I would return there in an instant. We booked another trip for next year before departing at another one of their properties in St. Lucia, simply because we now expect the same level of quality from this brand. I would highly recommend this resort for a stay in Jamaica.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Bar in room was only for Concierge level & above
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank natalee215
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

Where do I start, I as all women have dreampt about getting married. I never imagined it could have been this easy or this beautiful. For mine and my new husbands first trip out of the country I give it a 10. From our arrival (10 of us) at the Sandals lobby in the airport to our departure we were treated like royalty. some of the reviews on this site are so petty. This resort is outstanding and the people that work their make it that way. I have nothing but good things to say. We arrived on 6/7 and stayed till 6/14. Seven days of doing nothing but spending time with old friends and many new ones. Our wedding went perfectly!!! Yentil was wonderful and made sure everything went smoothly from the ceremony to our dinner. That wasn't easy I'm sure for our group of 10 but she did it. Our room was beautiful!!! Windsor block 69w walk out beach front. We met so many people I'll start with Tarzan (kayak peddler, not an employee) he talked to us and we purchased some beautiful necklaces from him and that was it he never botherd us again other to say good morning, much respect & love. He would even tell the others to leave us alone. The water sports crew, where do I start. I miss them terribly. Jeffrey, Alrick, Patrick, Ricardo, Ray all of these gentlemen made sure we were taken care of. When we had to leave they came to the lobby to see us off (very emotional) Bartendars again where to start, Omar (piano bar) wonderful, great bartender (best Jamaican me crazy) Sygurd, Courtney & Kevin made my wedding reception the best ever thank god I got plenty of pictures. Miss Verna, Cerone, Greg, Jessie thanks for all your special drinks. Our house keeper Anne Marie (thanks for letting me back in my room) Roan the photographer, what a guy, always came to sit with us and talk & laugh like we were back home on our deck. Great photographer please make sure you request him for any pictures. Would I recommend this resort, heck yes, not would I go back but when am I going back is more like it. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read!!!!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — View of the ocean
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
13 Thank ralgirl
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2007

My wife and I rate this Sandals vacation our best of all ten that we have taken. The general manager and the entire staff were very friendly, courteous, helpful and cordial. The resort itself was fabulous. All the activities and entertainment were great. The dinning was out of this world. We are making the Royal our second home (vacation spot). We are planning to go back in spring of 2008.

• Liked — The beauty of the resort and the entire staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank Joseph B