“home away from home” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Lancaster,PA
“home away from home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

This was our 4th consecutive trip to Sandals Royal Caribbean during the Thanksgiving holiday. We enjoy it tremendously at the Royal. We have met several couples that we stay in touch with and often see again at Sandals. The staff really does make you feel pampered. We have been able to make lasting friendships with many of them as well. The size of the resort fits our tastes perfectly. You can participate in any number of activities or you can just find a quiet spot on the beach to relax. The Royal is undertaking many improvements and upgrades to their rooms to make your vacation even more enjoyable. We have already booked our trip for 2007 and know that we will not be disappointed. "Once you go, you know."

Stayed November 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,340)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

My friend and I stayed at this lovely resort for 5 days in March 2007. From the very first time we arrived until our departure we were treated very special ! The employees were very friendly and went the extra mile to make us feel most welcome. The activities were fun and we especially liked the Thai restaurant on the private island. The food and drinks were delicious. The restaurant staff went out of their way a few times with our late night room service requests. The room was kept clean and our refrigerator was kept well supplied with drinks.The front desk staff assisted me a few times with currency exchange and calling taxis when we needed. The gift shop staff were very friendly and helpful as well.
All things considered I would rate this resort a 10 for hospitality and service to the guests ! I would definetely stay there again in the future ! It was well worth the money and I have to say it was my most memorable vacation experience !
I live on the island of Maui in Hawaii. Here the tourist industry is a very big part of our economy. The "ALOHA" spirit plays a very important role in the tourism industry. I have to say that Sandals Royal Caribbean surely has the ALOHA SPIRIT ! We really felt it ! Mahalo to all the staff, we appreciated your ALOHA !

Katherine A. Pagaduan

• Liked — The all-inclusive ie: not having to carry money around the resort.
  • Disliked — It appeared to cater to married couples more than the unmarried or engaged couples.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ktlani
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

Once again our expectations were exceeded! We have stayed at different Sandals Resorts, but always come back to the Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Why? The people! Every time they treat us like royalty. Even after a bad expericence with our airlines (multiple delays and lost luggage), I told my wife it would take something special to "save" this vacation. When we got to the resort it seemed like all our disappointment and disgust evaporated with the warm smiles and genuine words of "welcome home!"
We stayed in a Beachfront Conceirge room. It overlooked the ocean and also had a nice courtyard view on the side. Inside was a four poster king bed, stocked bar, two person bathtub spa, and a glass shower. Everything was clean and well-stocked, and was kept that way throughout our stay.
The food was good, as always, and plentious. You won't find a four star restaurant, but it is just plain good. And lots of variety. If you don't find what you are looking for, ask someone. That's what makes this place so special. They will go out of their way to take care of you and, as the Sandals promotion always say, no tipping allowed. A little side note here - I was so impressed with our room service one year that I tried to give our housekeeper a tip at the end of our stay and she graciously, but firmly, refused saying she loved her job too much and wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize keeping her job!
We do not partake of the free activities. We enjoy just relaxing by the pool or the ocean and reading. But there are lots of planned activities available for those so inclined!
Would we go back? Absolutely! It's not a question of "if we will go back?" It's a question of "WHEN!"

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rowdysooner
Chicago Suburb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

I took my Husband to Jamaica for his 40th Birthday. We ran into some problems actually getting to Jamiaca due to Bad weather, once the stress of traveling was over we arrived at Sandals Royal Carribbean to find that for some reason we had been upgraded to one of the most expensive rooms. (we of course did not get the Butler service that usually comes with this room) which was not needed. We walked into this room thru one door and I had to go right to the back door to see the view. I opened the door and walked out onto the patio and we were literally 20 feet from the ocean. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL.. There was a little beach right outside our door with two lawn chairs that we basically lived in. We went to Jamiaca to get away from life's everyday stress and that is exactly what we did. The food was excellent, the staff were VERY friendly . I know we could probably never make it back to that same room because like I said it is on the higher end, but having it there for us on our first trip made it perfect. I highly recommend this resort to anyone. It is on the quieter side of life which is what we were looking for.

Stayed December 2006
1 Thank Chelle71
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

Let's see, we (my wife and I plus two friends) have been going to this Sandals and Negril Sandals for 8 years. I understand that we go in the off season (due to our jobs) but every time we have gone to this resort they are doing construction. It takes away from the whole tropical paradise experience when jackhammers start up right after breakfast. I always ask resorts when I book if any construction is planned, and I've always been lied to by Sandals in this respect. The staff working at the airport is very nice, but seems to have lost a bit of organization over the years, despite going to a computer system. And their contracted drivers are unclear about the stickers they use to get the luggage to the right resort - you kinda have to watch them. Once at the resort, after checking in but before the room is ready, again they seem a little more disorganized than in past years. Still very nice and helpful though. The butler service is worth it if you can afford it. Can't say enough about the butler we had last time, and hope we get him again. He was outstanding. The food was very good. The bar service was running a little slow, the hot water in the room wasn't hot most of the time and water pressure was a joke. Complained all week about the water and nothing happened. The playmakers were mostly good (there were even a few we had met in previous visits), with a couple of exceptions. We participate in just about everything, so we rack up a lot of points towards awards (rum, t-shirts, etc.). The day we left we got this song and dance about there being no bottles of rum on the resort to award us with. One of the playmakers finally showed up with one after I dropped a few hints about not believing a Sandals resort in Jamaica would run out of bottles of rum. The second item that irritated me was we had earned enough points for two t-shirts. This time the buck passed from playmaker to playmaker as to who was going to decorate the shirts until it was time for us to leave, at which point we were promised they would mail them to us. That did not happen either. We finally got one t-shirt sent to us after filling out their questionaire and putting the bulk of this review in the additional comments at the end. Someone does read those and sent us a letter apologizing for all the above and giving us two free days on our next stay. I know the price of the rum and a couple of t-shirts is chump change compared to what you pay for a week stay, but it is both an example and the final straw. I have to say when we go back this year (with an even larger group of people) they will have to convince me to ever go there again.

• Disliked — Little or no hot water, lousy water pressure.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RetroGrouch
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

The room and facilities were great and the service was excellant. Our candlelight binner in the gazebo was extremely romantic and delightful. We were not found of the selection of food at the dinner buffet and would have liked to had the restaurants opened on buffet nights to provide other dinning choices.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
York, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

We chose Sandal's Royal Carribean resort in Montego Bay for my husband's 40th birthday, which just happened to be on Thanksgiving Day this year. I was so delighted that it was EXACTLY as you see it on the Sandal's commercials and in the literature they send you.
We even had several days of rain and still enjoyed ourselves throughly. The climate is so warm and inviting that we had the best of time sitting in the gentle rain in the whirlpool, sipping our drinks and looking out over Jamaica's waters, talking with some newleweds.
When the sun broke through, there was no better place on earth to be. We devoted our time to simply relaxing. We weren't interested in off shore excursions...we just wanted fun in the sun and pampering and that's what we got.

Things I would definitely do the same:
-Concierge service with room service. We used this service several times
-A couples' massage at the Red Lane Spa. Our first massage for both of us and one of the highlights of our trip.
-Using check-out day to the fullest. We had to check out of the room by 10am, but our bus didn't depart for the airport until 1pm. We enjoyed the pool and water to the last minute....and it turned out to be one of our most favorite days on the resort.
-Picking a smaller, quieter resort. From what we've heard, this was the right pick for us. We've heard Sandals' Montego Bay is more of a party-all-the-time resort and we enjoyed the privacy of a pool to ourselves and not so many people around. Very quiet and relaxing.
-Candlelight dinner on the beach was well worth the extra money. Memories we share that are so special.

Things I would do differently:
-Make reservations for each night's dinner, the day you arrive. We were unable to get into the Thai restaurant on the resort's private island, because it was booked up. We waited too long and it was our only regret. Our travel agent warned us to reserve dinners in advance and we neglected to do it. OVERWHELMED with the heaven-like resort, I think!

Well worth the money. No regrets. Saving up to go again!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple