“Great--if your over 55.”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great--if your over 55.”
Reviewed December 21, 2005

There is nothing that I hate more than people coming on here and trashing a place, and I am not going to do that....but this is my opinion.

In case you dont read this whole rant--Doctors Cave Beach is a place that you have to go if you are a beach person. The breezes resort is right on it, but it is a private beach that you have pay 5us to get in. Absolutely unbelievable.

I can not say this enough--if you are a beach person, do not stay here. The Montego Bay Sandals beach is 1000 percent nicer than this beach. Also, If you are interested in having a good time (meeting fun people, drinking, beach games, beach activities--go to the mobay sandals)

This is the resort for 55 and over people who want complete peace and quiet and like POOLS, not beaches.

First and foremost--the beach is terrible. It is very small,I am almost sure it was man-made. Not as clear as anywhere else we went on the island. You are only allowed to swim out about 30 feet from shore before it is marked off. B/C of the size, there are a bunch of people hasseling you to buy necklaces, marijuana, etc. I have been to Aruba, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Antigua, Bahamas--and this is by far--the worst beach I have seen in the caribbean.

Rooms--a glorified motel 8. No hot water in shower for most of the trip, mold and mildew everywhere in shower, ants throughout the room. NO MINI FRIDGE--I was told that we would have one, which would have been nice for late night bottle water or beer. I didnt complain about the room because we were there very little of the time anyway.

Food--Food was pretty good...every restaurant there had a good menu, presentation, etc. Only issue was that the Regency was a buffett twice when we were there. Also went to the Italian Restaurant at Mobay. That was great--probably the best that we had.

Drinks-- Liqour is not top shelf. Don't expect grey goose, crown royal, etc....the only beer you can get is draft beer and the only two were red stripe and red stripe light--no american beer...I have been to AI's in Cancun,and Dom Rep and they give you many more choices and also serve bottles and cans at night.

Bars--Terrible. I am 25 and I was not there for spring break but I like to have some options to have a good time. The only bar open from 5pm until 11pm is the "piano bar" nicknamed the "morgue" when we were there. Just a horrible place with no atmosphere at all. Its more a meeting room with a bar in it then anything. Pool bar at private island is nice.

Service--I had read about the unbelievable service here but I just did not receive it. Maybe because we were not in a high level room--I dont know. We did get some great servers for dinner, but most were not.

Random Stuff- While peddlers are not allowed on the beach, they invade your privacy all day long. The security guards walk away when they come up and turn a blind eye (probably getting a cut).

We were with out air conditioning for 18 hours, it was very uncomfortable-Sandals did make up for it with a 50 dollar gift card to the gift shop and a bottle of rum. Little things could have made this trip alot better like a mini fridge, a bigger selection of drinks, free bottled water, rafts for the beach (only for the pool).

With three days left, I thought there would be no way in hell that I would ever return, but I found Doctors Cave Beach, probably in the top 3 beaches in the caribbean. Absolute heaven. Private beach with no peddlers, cost 5US to get in but everything is new and very nice. When I go back, I will stay at the Breezes resort...it couldnt be any worse than sandals and it was right on Doctors Cave.

Hope this helps some people out there.

• Stayed December 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Greek first
Detroit
Reviewed December 20, 2005

We were there from Dec 10th - Dec 17th and it was simply fabulous!!

There were a few quirks, you'd have to be crazy to stress over them though. The beauty of the place, the polite staff, the fabulous weather more than made up for it. I will mention the one thing that annoyed me mildly: at night we would leave the door open so we could hear the ocean all night (we had 3rd floor Grand lux Beachfront) and we both ended up with itchy mosquito bites in the morning. Our fault for leaving the door open, but we wore bug spray to bed the next night and it was not nearly as bad.

My boyfriend enjoyed the hobie cat immensely and spent time sailing nearly everyday. Water sports guy Gregory was fantastic and made sure he knew how to sail properly.

We went snorkeling once, I was a bit nervous as it was only my 2nd time, but Gregory was on that snorkeling trip and he immediately put me at ease with his easygoing manner. I was so glad I went because it was amazing!

I found the food incredibly delicious at all the restaurants. My favorite was Romana Cuciana at the MO BAY resort. My boyfriend is a bit more finicky but he was more than satified with the beach grill, where he could feast on hamburgers/hot dogs and jerk chicken.

Our 3rd floor room was perfection overlooking the ocean.

I loved our maid Ann-Marie. She left fresh flowers for us, and my boyfriend commented to her on how much I had appreciated them, so the next day there was an even more beautiful bouquet! I told her how much I had enjoyed them. On the day we left and she hugged me & wished me a safe journey.

Verna at the swim up bar is fantastic too, my boyfriend was the mercy of her and her Bloody Marys every day !

We weren't the least bit bothered by the vendors in the water. We politely said "no thank you" to the things they were selling, but they were nice enough to make small chitchat anyways.

The weather was absolute perfection everyday. It seemed to be a drier heat to me, (which I was surprised at.)

We want to try other Sandals resorts, but we'd go back to the RC in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2005
9 Thank OwnedByRemy
Wakefield England
Reviewed December 20, 2005

Spent 18 days at Sandals Royal Caribbean 19 November - 06 December. We were slightly concerened after reading some negative reviews but once we arrived they were quickly forgotten. We had a fantastic time and also got married there.
The staff at the Royal were absolutely great and made us feel really welcome Monica our room attendant provided fresh flowers every day. Sonia at the beach bar kept my glass full of Jack and coke as did Linford in the piano bar at night. The food was great at all of the restaurants our favourite was the courtyard.
There was some work going on at the time we were there but it did not affect us in any way and it looked on course to be finished by now.
If any of you are going to the Royal you will have a fantastic time.
We can't wait to come back for our first wedding anniversary next year.

3 Thank emmsha
Reviewed December 20, 2005

Having just returned from our holiday to Sandals Royal Caribbean we would like to share our experiance with everyone. From the moment we arrived at the resort we were made to feel very welcome by all staff and management. Mr Randall Wilkie Genral Manager of the resort made himself known to us from the start of our holiday and looked after our needs as required. The hotel staff reflected the management to a high standard and having visted the hotel before I believe that the standard has increased tremendously. Our room was way beyond our exepectations we had a 2 room apartment which over looked the beach and sea, with a butler service which was impecable. The room had recenlty been decorated to a high standard and made it feel like new. We would highly recommed this Sandals resort with the management that is in place. Mr Wilkie is a credit to Sandals.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 16, 2005

We stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean from November 2nd through November 8th, 2005, and got married while we were there. The weather was beautiful during this time in November, it rained a little but not for a whole day.
The resort is beautiful and the wedding preparation was completely taken care of. All we had to do was meet with the wedding coordinator and the minister before the wedding and then we just had to show up! So stress free which is exactly what we wanted.
We stayed in a beachfront deluxe room which was nice, kinda small..I was expecting a little more out of the room but I won't complain. I would suggest that if you have the money to upgrade your room category.
We spent most of our time on the off-shore island which we loved! It was much more private than the "regular" beach.
We also went on a Jeep Safari tour which was great to get to experience the island. They took us to beautiful waterfalls and snapped pictures for us.
The staff was unbelievably nice and friendly. Not one of the staff members walked by us without asking how we were and if we needed anything.
One thing I must insist on you bringing with you though is bug spray! I had bites all up and down my legs, from what I'm not exactly sure but they itched for weeks!
Overall we had a wonderful vacation and plan on going back, we feel like we would have more fun if we had some friends along, so we'll try that. I hope my review has been helpful. If you would like to contact me, my email is lisakf@comcast.net
I'll post some pictures also.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 13, 2005

My wife and I traveled to Jamaica for our 5th wedding anniversary. We were referred to Sandals Royal by our good friends, Mike and June LaCava. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by outstanding hospitality and greeted personally by Randall Wilkie. We must say he is a gentleman of gentlemen. The constant pampering made us feel like royalty and we were always greeted with a smile by the entire staff. The food was excellent, the entertainment was awesome, and the non-stop activities made it an experience we will never forget. We want to extend a special Thank You to Mr. Wilkie for such great accommodations, exceptional service, and maintenance of such an intoxicating paradise. We cannot wait to return and see all the wonderful friends we made while there. The Sandals Royal staff sure does know how to make you feel like you're in heaven.

Stayed September 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Elysburg, PA
Reviewed December 11, 2005

After having our 20th trip in November to the Royal, we must comment on the EXCELLANT experiences we have had over the years, the staff headed by Randy Wilke is exceptional, we have been going to the resort through many management changes and have noticed the most improved atmosphere and friendliness by all staff since Randy is there, he has performed miracles. The accomodations are top of the line and the improvements made are fantastic. We travel several times each year to varias countries but to relax and be "pampered" we go to the Royal at least two times a year, this year we were there three times.
As always the moment we arrive we do not have a "care in the world" all the food is great and the feeling of being with friends and family instantly appears..When people ask us our favorite vacation we always say Sandals, Royal. My husband has sent his sister and her husband for their 40th wedding gift and they thought they "died and went to heaven." Our Senior VP at my husband's corporation honeymooned at the Royal and were extremely pleased. I always wear my sandal and crowns on a chain and I am sure introduced hundreds of couples to the Royal and will continue to do so..

4 Thank paula s