There is nothing that I hate more than people coming on here and trashing a place, and I am not going to do that....but this is my opinion.
In case you dont read this whole rant--Doctors Cave Beach is a place that you have to go if you are a beach person. The breezes resort is right on it, but it is a private beach that you have pay 5us to get in. Absolutely unbelievable.
I can not say this enough--if you are a beach person, do not stay here. The Montego Bay Sandals beach is 1000 percent nicer than this beach. Also, If you are interested in having a good time (meeting fun people, drinking, beach games, beach activities--go to the mobay sandals)
This is the resort for 55 and over people who want complete peace and quiet and like POOLS, not beaches.
First and foremost--the beach is terrible. It is very small,I am almost sure it was man-made. Not as clear as anywhere else we went on the island. You are only allowed to swim out about 30 feet from shore before it is marked off. B/C of the size, there are a bunch of people hasseling you to buy necklaces, marijuana, etc. I have been to Aruba, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Antigua, Bahamas--and this is by far--the worst beach I have seen in the caribbean.
Rooms--a glorified motel 8. No hot water in shower for most of the trip, mold and mildew everywhere in shower, ants throughout the room. NO MINI FRIDGE--I was told that we would have one, which would have been nice for late night bottle water or beer. I didnt complain about the room because we were there very little of the time anyway.
Food--Food was pretty good...every restaurant there had a good menu, presentation, etc. Only issue was that the Regency was a buffett twice when we were there. Also went to the Italian Restaurant at Mobay. That was great--probably the best that we had.
Drinks-- Liqour is not top shelf. Don't expect grey goose, crown royal, etc....the only beer you can get is draft beer and the only two were red stripe and red stripe light--no american beer...I have been to AI's in Cancun,and Dom Rep and they give you many more choices and also serve bottles and cans at night.
Bars--Terrible. I am 25 and I was not there for spring break but I like to have some options to have a good time. The only bar open from 5pm until 11pm is the "piano bar" nicknamed the "morgue" when we were there. Just a horrible place with no atmosphere at all. Its more a meeting room with a bar in it then anything. Pool bar at private island is nice.
Service--I had read about the unbelievable service here but I just did not receive it. Maybe because we were not in a high level room--I dont know. We did get some great servers for dinner, but most were not.
Random Stuff- While peddlers are not allowed on the beach, they invade your privacy all day long. The security guards walk away when they come up and turn a blind eye (probably getting a cut).
We were with out air conditioning for 18 hours, it was very uncomfortable-Sandals did make up for it with a 50 dollar gift card to the gift shop and a bottle of rum. Little things could have made this trip alot better like a mini fridge, a bigger selection of drinks, free bottled water, rafts for the beach (only for the pool).
With three days left, I thought there would be no way in hell that I would ever return, but I found Doctors Cave Beach, probably in the top 3 beaches in the caribbean. Absolute heaven. Private beach with no peddlers, cost 5US to get in but everything is new and very nice. When I go back, I will stay at the Breezes resort...it couldnt be any worse than sandals and it was right on Doctors Cave.
Hope this helps some people out there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •7 exquisite dining options, with world-class culinary cuisines.•Only Jamaican resort with a private offshore island, housing an authentic Thai restaurant.•Magnificent, swim-up crystal lagoon suites.•24 hour room service as a part of our concierge service.•English pub offering an authentic pub dining experience.•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row.•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort Jamaica
- Sandal Royal Caribbean