“Beautiful memories from our Honeymoon!”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Seattle, WA
“Beautiful memories from our Honeymoon!”
Reviewed August 11, 2004

Well, first of all we were really lucky, 'cause we originally booked for Sandals Inn, but Sandals representatives met us at the airport and told us that Sandals Inn were completely sold out, so they transfered us to Royal Caribbean. Since I have done my homework prior to booking our honeymoon, I knew that Royal Caribbean was better and more expensive, so I was happy!

The shuttle was waiting for us by the airport, and they really did not expect any tips (tips are included in price), they even helped us with our luggage. When we got to Sandals, in the lobby we were greeted with a wet towel and a glass of champagne. Right there we felt like Royals and we knew our stay was going to be a pleasant one. The staff were really friendly. The lobby was very beautiful, nicely decorated. Check-in was fast and very pleasant.

Our room was nice, located on the second floor with a balcony overlooking one of the pools and jacuzzi, very pleasant view.
The food was great, the buffets were wonderful (I have never had such good food since our honeymoon). The buffets were also nicely decorated. The drinks were really good. And it is so nice to go on vacation like that, all-inclusive, and forget about your wallet for a week, and not worry about how much it cost. My husband and I think it's the best way to vacation and really relax. They also had the best cappuccino in the courtyard launge, one of those help-yourself cappuccino machines. m-m-m-m

It is very nice that they have planned activities all day long, you will not get borred: beach volleybal, pool volleyball, other pool activities, bingo, pool table and ping pong table. The staff that are responsible for keeping the guests entertained are so nice and friendly. During our 7-day stay we got to know them so well, it was hard to leave and say good-byes. Nightly entertainment is also really good: organized games for couples, dansing, singing, having lots of fun.

The beach is nice and clean, with white sand and beautiful, warm ocean water. The non-motorized water sports are included and fun.
The shuttles to other 2 Sandals, Montego Bay and Sandals Inn were very convinient. We were able to go to different restaurants between these 3 Sandals all 7 nights. It was really good!

Overall, we had a blast, and are really happy with our Honeymoon choice. Would definatly recomend it to all couples. If Sandals were not as expensive, we'd go there every year. But for now, we'll go back there as soon as we can afford it.

• Stayed October 2000
7 Thank mariannami

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Greek first
Reviewed July 29, 2004

I visited this resort in August of 2003 for my Honeymoon. At first I was kind of disappointed with my room because for my honeymoon I wanted more. We started to love our room after a while. The view from our to the beach in the morining was amazing. The beach was beautiful just at sunrise. We had the room service for breakfast some morinings just to enjoy this view. The food and drinks were great. The service was given with a smile. They had alot of fun things planned for you to do. My husband won the drinking contest and I was a close second. At the end of the week my husband and I won enough points to get the leather sandals. The beach party on Friday was a blast. The only thing I could add is more nightlife. The doesn't take away from fun my husband and I had. People who didn't enjoy this resort, next get up join some the planned events and just enjoy the VIBE!!!!!!! The Island is a small getaway from the rest of the resort. The nude beach, the bar, and Thai food were great. Just try it for yourself.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed July 25, 2004

My husband and I just returned from our second trip to SRC on July 20. We were there last July, also. We have loved it both times! Both times we have stayed in the Kensington Block in the Honeymoon Concierge Rooms, and we were pleasantly surprised to find that these rooms have all been completely refurbished this year. They now have a jacuzzi tub and a stand-up shower. The 24-hour room service is great - breakfast in bed every morning. We loved having the daily stocked mini-bar in the room, too. Both the Royal Thai (on the island) and the Courtyard restaurants are superb and the lunch buffet is excellent. My biggest regret in the food category was they no longer had jerk pork or jerk chicken at the Beach Grill. The beaches are fairly small, but we have never had a problem with crowds, and the beach on the private island is the most peaceful place I have ever been. The entertainment was not as good as last year, but we did not go for that. SRC is not the place to go if you are looking for non-stop excitement. However, if you like snorkeling, simple water sports, Jamaican sunshine, great service, good food, rest, and relaxation, then I highly recommend it! One final word of advice, if you are prone to mosquito bites, take your repellent with you. I learned the hard way last year, and I prepared this time. No bites at SRC! Be forewarned though, the repellent did not work the evening we ate at the flambe restaurant at Sandals Inn. Those killer mosquitoes in downtown Montego Bay bit right through it. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail Claudia at the above address.

6 Thank Knoxville_TNClaudia
Reviewed July 24, 2004

Okay so I have been reading these reviews for awhile and now that we have returned I can give my own. We went for our 20th wedding anniversary the week of 07/18-25/04. (we are in our late 30's) Everything was terrific. I did prefer the beach at Sandals MoBay over SRC, but the grounds and the room were no comparison. We stayed in the Honeymoon Concierge deluxe room on the Kensington block. All the pools and bars were in perfect condition. Some people complained about renovations in their reviews. I asked the hotel about it and they said it was complete 3 months ago. The food was pretty good the best meals we had were at the Regency and our favorite waiter is Chevan. Be sure and ask for him. He took very good care of us. HINT HINT make your dinner reservations as soon as possible they will fill up fast. I didn't care for the small island where the Thai restraurant is. It is smaller than in the pictures. We are not night life people but there didn't appear to be much going on. I think you get out of something what you put into it. We were looking for relaxation from our 50 hour a week jobs and this is what we got. Plan on taking some excursions just to get off the resort.
We did three excursions. The first was the Shopping trip. Skip this one you can find the same items in the gift shop and on Fridays some local vendors come to the beach to sell items. Second was the ATV tour very scary if you have never been on an ATV. My husband loved it though. The last and best was the Day Dreamer - catamaran excursion. The crew was the best and it was well worth the experience. Part of the tour involves going to Margariteville. We only had 20 minutes there so we bought t-shirts and skipped trying the drinks. I wished we had had more time there. This was our first trip to Jamaica and won't be our last. The next time we go I want to try the Sandals resort in Negril.

4 Thank 22Debbie
Reviewed July 21, 2004

My husband and I were at SRC from July 11-16th for our honeymoon. I can not even explain how upset and displeased we were with this resort. We had got married in Sandals Negril and that resort was 100% better. The staff at SRC was rude, the rooms were O.K but the highest category room did not even have a jacuzzi tub and lower rooms did, so why did we pay so much? That I have not been able to figure out. The nightlife stunk, so we went to bed early, and the beaches were terrible so we did excursions everyday, which costs us extra money. We went to Sandals Monetgo Bay and that was better but not that great! We are not picky people and just wanted to be treated nice since it was our honeymoon. We would never go back and I feel sorry for those that waist their money going there when they could pay the same and go to a better resort. If you have any questions contact me at aleam21@hotmail.com.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Upland, CA
Reviewed July 21, 2004

I read the reviews for SRC for 9 months and I was worried. But I was thrilled. We had the Grand Luxe Beachfront room (smelled musty but burned candles so no problem mon) We loved the fact that it was right on the beach. People who complain about the drinks must really sock em away. The drinks were strong any yummy!! Jamaican Smile!! The food is just ok, but was good. We loved the breakfast buffet. Make sure you snorkel (be sure to make appt. a few days before you want to go or it will be booked) We had the most relaxing time. The main pool was usually pretty crowed, but we prefered the beach anyway. The weekends were the busiest, Mon-Thur is was perfect crowd wise. We are going to try the new Sandals in Whitehouse next year when it opens, it looks amazing. If you have never been to Jamaica, it is worth it. Fly air jamaica, if your flight is after 4pm, they come to the hotel and check your luggage and give your boarding passes. Great
If you are going, I hope you have a terrific time, keep your expectation at a min. If you go thinking this is some 5 star hotel you will be upset, but it is very nice and fun and go with a good attitude!! If you see Tatty (paints sandals signs for the hotel) say Kim says hello!

3 Thank momof3peanuts
Reviewed July 11, 2004

My husband and I chose Royal Carribean for our 10 day honeymoon. What a complete waste. When we arrived at the resort we were told that it was under construction and the main pool was not in use. That left only one tiny pool for the entire resort to utilize. Not only was the main pool out of commission but all you could here was jackhammers and saws going...ALL DAY LONG!! Our honeymoon suite was filthy, the tub was missing knobs and had pliers in their place, the room was tiny, the sheets were stained, and the curtains had cigarette burns in them...and this was a SUITE!!!
The service was bad, the food was worse, and the drinks were watery at best. The piano bar was the worst. It smelled like rotten fruit and vomit.
The hot tubs were the exact opposite. Cold tubs. I think they worked 2 days out of the 10 we were there. The private island was a joke. It was tiny and dirty. The entire trip was a complete waste of time and money. I cried the entire time we were there. I will NEVER, EVER, pay money to visit a Sandals resort again.

• Stayed January 2005