“Sandals Royal Caribbean so nice!!!!!!”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Ottawa, Canada
“Sandals Royal Caribbean so nice!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Ok, please bear with me this is a long review but things have to be said ;)

A little bit of history about us. We are a married couple, I am 52 and my husband is 38. We have been to three Sandals Resorts – Sandals Royal Plantation, Sandals Whitehouse and Sandals Royal Caribbean and other five star resorts in the Caribbean. We visited with another couple (our friends) and it was there first time to Sandals.
I will not do a major comparison of these resorts but here it is for me in a nutshell.
- SRC – Small, friendly, classy resort with wonderful staff (will elaborate on this later). Nice but very small beach and small pools. The restaurants are mostly open air so that is one thing to consider if visiting in the rainy season. They can accommodate but it doesn’t have the same vibe as outside seating.
- SRP – Very small, not handicap friendly, lots of stairs. Very classy resorts, the best food I had in an all-inclusive resort. The place is charming and because of the small size you interact with other guess more easily. The beach is bigger than the one at SRC and really nice.
- SWH – Big resort, beautiful big pools, nice beach but not clear water lots of pools, one for each village with all different vibes. Lots of shade and lots of privacy at the beach, the chairs is not stack on top of one another. There`s also lots of restaurants. Because it is a bit more isolated, not so practical if you want to visit Jamaica. The food was good but not amazing. I did love the Café de Paris however. Nice touch. We did not connect with staff as much, not sure why? Too big maybe?
Here are our views of the Sandals Royal Caribbean. Our stay was from Feb. 21 to March 3. The weather was awesome. Hot and humid, but most of the time with a good breeze. We did get those Montego Bay clouds at the end of the day but most of the time they were welcome.
The room, we had a butler swim up in the Buckingham building. Nice big room with a nice bathroom with separate shower. Love the full stocked mini bar. It was stocked with our favorites as requested prior to arrival. The fridge worked fine and so did the AC. We also loved the privacy of our balcony. We stayed must of the time at our pool, it was nice and quiet. Did not participate in the activities at the main pool. Too loud for me during the day. We had the most amazing butlers Ellis and Hughill. Sadly Ellis was sick two days after our arrival and we did not get to see him again but, Hughill took extremely good care of us. He is a wonderful gentleman and I can easily see him in management one day. What an awesome personality. He is a wonderful ambassador for Sandals. This is professionalism at its best, seriously. We also would like to thanks Neville our pool keeper for his excellent work. They work hard to make sure you have a wonderful vacation.
The food was good to very good. The Royal Thai on the island was one of my favorite but not the majorities, too spicy for some people but the place looks amazing. The snails at the Jardinier were so good. The breakfast buffet at The Regency was good with a good selection of food. Eleonors set up is very romantic. The burger for lunch from the Mariner, like other reviewers have mentioned, is really good, so is the pizza at Bella Napoli, ohhhhh try the calzone ;). One of our favorite meals was the fish and chip at the Cricketer’s Pub….sooooooooo good and what about the service. Cheryl Anne was the best of the best and she is so sweet. This woman works hard and very long hours.
The entertainment was good but not great however, this is a very small resort so you do have to take this into consideration. It is a common trait of Sandals it seems. Good but not great. However, I have to mention a wonderful young man full of life and energy, Kermit. Kermit, you are great.
The location was awesome, 15 minutes from the airport, YES you do hear the planes but it did not bother us at all. The location allows you to visit some interesting things in Montego Bay and nearby and it is a fast commute to Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Carlyle, if you want to venture out for diner. We visited two other Sandals. Sandal Montego Bay, not my cup of tea. Too big and noisy and, not very classy. Sandals Negril (we spend the day there) was awesome. Nice small resort with an awesome beach and the staff is also very friendly and courteous.
The island was superb, we rented a cabana for the day $125.00 USD for 9:00 to 5:00 use. The beds were comfy, the service was great, Thanks to Nicole!!!! And the beach, even though was small (the part in front of the cabana) the water was warm and so clear. The bottom was firm and soft. The jerk at the shack was good, I enjoyed the hot sausage but my husband thought he was going to die from the spice..LOL One issue on the island is the lack of shades next to the cabanas. If you do not go to the clothing optional side and want a chair next to the three cabanas you will be in full sun.
The staff, ok here is where this resort is different from all the others…the staff. WOW!!!!! We have met genuine, caring, fun, loving and extremely professional young staff. Kevin (Big Bird), I do not know what else to say about this young man apart from, please stay in touch. Roderick (Hot Rod), we already miss you, and I need to get this rainbow shooters recipe from you at our next visit in August. Kermit, stay the same awesome young man you already are. Don’t let people change you. Neville, always took care of our parasol in order for my husband to stay in the shade. He would always make sure we had our favorite spot around the pool. I know what to bring you at our next visit, but it`s a surprise. Cheryl Anne, you work hard girl, I still believe you hide a bed somewhere either at Cricketers or at The Regency ;). And last but not the least, Hughill. Our friends who accompanied us on this vacation were uncertain about the butler situation…will they be confortable asking for stuff, not sure how they would feel about it? Well you changed their opinions with regards to butler services! They agreed that a butler service allows for a much more relaxed and carefree vacation. We were so happy to have been able to get one of the best butlers of this resort. Because of you our stay went from awesome to wonderful. WE WILL VISIT THIS RESORT AGAIN BECAUSE OF THE STAFF, seriously. They made our vacation so much better.

See you soon guys, and thanks again!

Alex and Simon

Room Tip: If you want a real swim up, you need to be in the Clarence Building. 1B
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Alexandrasks
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed a splendid vacation at Sandals Royal Caribbean. Our staff goes through countless hours of training to ensure that we are offering the highest level of service to our guests and I'm so glad that your stay was indicative of our efforts. Thank you for your review!

Happy Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,360)
  • Greek first
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Rain, small, not what we expected. Will never go back.
This resort is small and the rooms are very small. If my honeymoon was here I would pay to fly to Mexico.
No beach. Don't stay here.
I would not come back here an my trip was paid for.
Please believe me. This is 100% my true experience.

• Stayed March 2014
10 Thank Koesters20
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and return year after year because of the wonderful experiences at our resort. However, as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process.

Your feedback has been brought to the attention of our General Manager for review and action as needed. We do request that while on resort you notify us of anything that does not meet your standards. We are always willing to work with you to make sure you walk away feeling like your stay was money well spent.

We hope that you will afford us a chance to welcome you back for a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Thank you for your feedback.
Gf nd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

You cannot go wrong with SRC. Amazing staff. Ashlee at the Kensington pool bar and beach. Mario everywhere keeping his beaches pristine and Jolon (Hollywood) and Chico at the piano. So wonderful nice and fun! Drinks are perfect and plentiful. This resort is the perfect size. We have been to whitehouse and royal Bahamian ( very similar) this size is so manageable- if you need to run back to your room for anything it's close enough. We are trying out Ochos next but will return here for sure!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jackiendds
Thank you so much for your review. We're so pleased to read that you had an exceptional stay with us at Sandals Royal Caribbean. It sounds like you truly had an amazing experience, especially thanks to our wonderful staff!

We can't wait to welcome you back in the future!
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were celebrating out Honeymoon, this was a wonderful resort and the people are amazing, always smiling and happy. We felt at home here. The resort is on the smaller scale but perfect for us. The food was amazing and the facilities were clean and well kept. We loved everyone that worked there but the few that stand out to us are Verna at the beach bar, warm loving person, like a sister to us. Daneree in the Regency restaurant made us laugh everyday and we got to ask for her cause we loved her so much. Make sure you look for them when you go. If you have a butler at this resort ask for Orlando he is so nice. Special thanks to Sandy Willett and Goligers Travel in Kitchener Ontario, as she booked everything and we didn't have to worry about anything. All I can say is amazing time . The only thing that could be improved is the pool area, just an small update to the pool around the bar area. And add extra lounge chairs, we needed to get up early to reserve ours. But it was a perfect vacation!

Room Tip: Every room was nice, so it doesn't really matter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank portrowgirl
We're so pleased to hear that your honeymoon stay was a great one! You enjoyed your time at Sandals Royal Caribbean and we couldn't me happier to hear it. Thank you so much for your review!

We can't wait to welcome you back and exceed your expectations next time!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Andre and Sherry Ann were fantastic!!! I cannot put into words how great they treated us and made every moment perfect!! One of the greatest weeks of our lives and we will definitely be back!! We also plan to always request Andre and Sherry Ann!! Lionel was also an awesome waiter! He really took care of everything we needed and is fantastic at what he does!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Edward S
We're so thrilled to read of your wonderful visit to Sandals Royal Caribbean. It sounds like your entire stay was such an incredible experience. I will be sure to forward your review to Andre, Sherry-Ann and Lionel. They will be so happy to hear of your kind mention. Thank you for your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I visited Sandals Royal Caribbean for a friends destination wedding. The entire experience was amazing. The only part for improvement was the pickup from the airport. Several flights had arrived at the same time, so there were a lot of people and it was a bit chaotic. We had to move our luggage several times. But, once we left the airport, that didn't even phase us. We arrived at SRC and were greeted for check-in in the lobby with Rum Punch and the wonderful ocean breeze. The hospitality of everyone there was incredible. People were beyond friendly and got you whatever was needed. Many people there even get to know you a bit more if you want to talk, which was a really neat experience. We did take advantage of the mini catamaran and some of the paddle boarding as well. The food was delicious at every meal. We weren't able to get in at the French restaurant, but did eat everywhere else. I love the breakfast buffet and being able to try a variety of foods. My friends wedding was beautiful. The beach was perfectly groomed and the ceremony was lovely. She had even made friends with a few of the lifeguards and invited them to come say hi. They all made sure to come by and wave and wish her well. She absolutely loved that and it made the experience even more special. Before we all left we even went to find them all to say by. The friendliness of the people there was really what made the trip. The oceanfront, resort, food, and everything are beautiful, but it is often people that make experiences what they are. I would go back in heartbeat. (Especially being a Chicagoan currently experiencing the coldest winter on record). Thank you to Valentie, Tremaine, and Cion for really making the trip special and helping make a good friends wedding day a memorable one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Michelle H
We're all so thrilled read that you had such a spectacular stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're happy that we were able to make your stay a memorable and amazing experience. I have forwarded your excellent review to our staff. They are glad to hear of how they exceeded your expectations and made your stay a wonderful one.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return in the future!
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Wagwan. We spent 4 amazing nights January 18th-25th, 2014. Coming from sub zero temperatures, the 95 heat index was a welcome retreat. My wife and I came with three other couples, so we had our own entourage. Be sure to get to take full advantage of the private island and the lunch buffet at the Bamboo Shack, the jerk chicken and sausage is the best! My wife swore that the jerk burger at the Mariner was better, but I didn't get a chance to try it.
Who can complain when the drinks and food are included? If you don't like something, send it away and try something new! No problems mon.
There are different levels of rooms, concierge/butler etc. We did not get concierge, or butler service and found a spot in a lounge chair on the island every morning. I did need to borrow a couple of red-stripes in a bottle from someone I met with Butler service, I just kept refilling them throughout the day (red-stripe tastes better in a bottle). There's guinness and some other random beers at The Cricketers Pub, so take advantage of this when they are open. Who knows, after a few too many drinks you might find yourself snorkeling over at the nude beach...did I do that? The seas were to rough, so I borrowed some equipment, and this is the best place to see fish on the island (they're near the breakwater). Eventually, the wind died down and we were able to go snorkeling, that was definately worth it. There were lots of sting rays, and some smaller tropical fish that you can feed bread to. One girl on the boat said she saw a shark and freaked out. I'm assuming it wasn't one that would bite you, so no worries.
The staff is super awesome. I got yelled at a few times from the wife because I think I was talking to them a little too much. Maybe I was buzzed, but I picked up a little slang and tid-bits of the culture. We didn't get to see much of Jamaica on the short bus ride from the airport, so this was a way to get a little flavor. You are definatley going to an exclusive, luxurious resort and the Sandals Royal Carribean. I wish I could wake up to a hot cup of Blue Mountain coffee, hit the buffet, get a smoothie, sit on the deck and go to the island for a day of drinking. I even made friends with the cat that lives on the island. His name is "socks", and normally I hate cats, but this dude has it made.
Great place to unwind, forget you have children, and forget that there is a real world out there. That's why you want to go on vacation, isn't it? Have fun !!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Josh G
We're so glad to hear of your wonderful stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. You enjoyed our gorgeous property and amazing staff who strive daily to go above and beyond. We love to hear our guests boast about their great experiences and we thank you for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another stellar vacation in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay