Ok, please bear with me this is a long review but things have to be said ;)
A little bit of history about us. We are a married couple, I am 52 and my husband is 38. We have been to three Sandals Resorts – Sandals Royal Plantation, Sandals Whitehouse and Sandals Royal Caribbean and other five star resorts in the Caribbean. We visited with another couple (our friends) and it was there first time to Sandals.
I will not do a major comparison of these resorts but here it is for me in a nutshell.
- SRC – Small, friendly, classy resort with wonderful staff (will elaborate on this later). Nice but very small beach and small pools. The restaurants are mostly open air so that is one thing to consider if visiting in the rainy season. They can accommodate but it doesn’t have the same vibe as outside seating.
- SRP – Very small, not handicap friendly, lots of stairs. Very classy resorts, the best food I had in an all-inclusive resort. The place is charming and because of the small size you interact with other guess more easily. The beach is bigger than the one at SRC and really nice.
- SWH – Big resort, beautiful big pools, nice beach but not clear water lots of pools, one for each village with all different vibes. Lots of shade and lots of privacy at the beach, the chairs is not stack on top of one another. There`s also lots of restaurants. Because it is a bit more isolated, not so practical if you want to visit Jamaica. The food was good but not amazing. I did love the Café de Paris however. Nice touch. We did not connect with staff as much, not sure why? Too big maybe?
Here are our views of the Sandals Royal Caribbean. Our stay was from Feb. 21 to March 3. The weather was awesome. Hot and humid, but most of the time with a good breeze. We did get those Montego Bay clouds at the end of the day but most of the time they were welcome.
The room, we had a butler swim up in the Buckingham building. Nice big room with a nice bathroom with separate shower. Love the full stocked mini bar. It was stocked with our favorites as requested prior to arrival. The fridge worked fine and so did the AC. We also loved the privacy of our balcony. We stayed must of the time at our pool, it was nice and quiet. Did not participate in the activities at the main pool. Too loud for me during the day. We had the most amazing butlers Ellis and Hughill. Sadly Ellis was sick two days after our arrival and we did not get to see him again but, Hughill took extremely good care of us. He is a wonderful gentleman and I can easily see him in management one day. What an awesome personality. He is a wonderful ambassador for Sandals. This is professionalism at its best, seriously. We also would like to thanks Neville our pool keeper for his excellent work. They work hard to make sure you have a wonderful vacation.
The food was good to very good. The Royal Thai on the island was one of my favorite but not the majorities, too spicy for some people but the place looks amazing. The snails at the Jardinier were so good. The breakfast buffet at The Regency was good with a good selection of food. Eleonors set up is very romantic. The burger for lunch from the Mariner, like other reviewers have mentioned, is really good, so is the pizza at Bella Napoli, ohhhhh try the calzone ;). One of our favorite meals was the fish and chip at the Cricketer’s Pub….sooooooooo good and what about the service. Cheryl Anne was the best of the best and she is so sweet. This woman works hard and very long hours.
The entertainment was good but not great however, this is a very small resort so you do have to take this into consideration. It is a common trait of Sandals it seems. Good but not great. However, I have to mention a wonderful young man full of life and energy, Kermit. Kermit, you are great.
The location was awesome, 15 minutes from the airport, YES you do hear the planes but it did not bother us at all. The location allows you to visit some interesting things in Montego Bay and nearby and it is a fast commute to Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Carlyle, if you want to venture out for diner. We visited two other Sandals. Sandal Montego Bay, not my cup of tea. Too big and noisy and, not very classy. Sandals Negril (we spend the day there) was awesome. Nice small resort with an awesome beach and the staff is also very friendly and courteous.
The island was superb, we rented a cabana for the day $125.00 USD for 9:00 to 5:00 use. The beds were comfy, the service was great, Thanks to Nicole!!!! And the beach, even though was small (the part in front of the cabana) the water was warm and so clear. The bottom was firm and soft. The jerk at the shack was good, I enjoyed the hot sausage but my husband thought he was going to die from the spice..LOL One issue on the island is the lack of shades next to the cabanas. If you do not go to the clothing optional side and want a chair next to the three cabanas you will be in full sun.
The staff, ok here is where this resort is different from all the others…the staff. WOW!!!!! We have met genuine, caring, fun, loving and extremely professional young staff. Kevin (Big Bird), I do not know what else to say about this young man apart from, please stay in touch. Roderick (Hot Rod), we already miss you, and I need to get this rainbow shooters recipe from you at our next visit in August. Kermit, stay the same awesome young man you already are. Don’t let people change you. Neville, always took care of our parasol in order for my husband to stay in the shade. He would always make sure we had our favorite spot around the pool. I know what to bring you at our next visit, but it`s a surprise. Cheryl Anne, you work hard girl, I still believe you hide a bed somewhere either at Cricketers or at The Regency ;). And last but not the least, Hughill. Our friends who accompanied us on this vacation were uncertain about the butler situation…will they be confortable asking for stuff, not sure how they would feel about it? Well you changed their opinions with regards to butler services! They agreed that a butler service allows for a much more relaxed and carefree vacation. We were so happy to have been able to get one of the best butlers of this resort. Because of you our stay went from awesome to wonderful. WE WILL VISIT THIS RESORT AGAIN BECAUSE OF THE STAFF, seriously. They made our vacation so much better.
See you soon guys, and thanks again!
Alex and Simon
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •7 exquisite dining options, with world-class culinary cuisines.•Only Jamaican resort with a private offshore island, housing an authentic Thai restaurant.•Magnificent, swim-up crystal lagoon suites.•24 hour room service as a part of our concierge service.•English pub offering an authentic pub dining experience.•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row.•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort Jamaica
- Sandal Royal Caribbean