“Beautiful resort, will definitely go back here”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful resort, will definitely go back here”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My apologies for this very late review. I stayed here in June 2013 and I have been to several other Sandals properties, but this was my first at SRC. Amazing food, probably some of the best I've had yet. And the island was spectacular! The best though, was the incredible service we had. More on that in a moment.
To be honest, my first few hours there were actually not that great. We paid a very reasonable low season price for our room (even though it’s still a hell of a lot of money in comparison to other resorts!) so I knew we wouldn't be in total luxury, however, I was very disappointed in the room they gave us. It was very dingy without a balcony and the noise was unbearable as there wasn't a way to close the window in the bathroom. I'm not really a complainer and tried to make the best of it. We got into vacation mode and went down to the main pool which was actually a bit on the murkey side. The hot tub looked terrible and I couldn't bring myself to go in. I'm not used to this kind of an experience at a Sandals. Needless to say, I was starting to feel really bummed out about my decision to go there.
Our first night, I barely slept. I decided to get up and talk to the front desk at around 6AM and asked what our options were. It was my fiancé's very first time at Sandals and I was trying to convince him to do a destination wedding, so far he could tell I wasn't happy. After I explained how I felt to the lady at the desk (and a manager too - I forget their names) they told me to come back around 9AM. They showed me another room closest to the road and the tennis court which was 1000% better. They really were amazingly accommodating, they really listened and took care of us and completely turned our trip around.
From then on, I had one of the best Sandals vacations yet. The pool was cleaned, the restaurants were AMAZING, I LOVED the buffet and can't understand why people have anything to complain about. So much selection, the world's best coffee (I don't drink coffee anywhere else!). Although Le Jardinière was rained out, we were seated inside and had the most delicious dinner. I had to laugh at the people sitting next to us who were confused by it all, saying it ”wasn’t very American”… Good Lord! Why bother travelling outside of Florida then?? LOL anyways, you can't get better than this (unless you’re overly sheltered). Well you can if it doesn't rain! I can't wait to go back and have dinner in that beautiful courtyard with all the beautiful bougainvillea flowers, Humming birds, rainbows and peacocks.
The beach grill had the very best jerk chicken and Odane always had the best service and smile, I still think about it six months later how he really impacted our experience. So did many others, almost everyone was intent on ensuring you were well looked after. I can’t wait to go back here, I’ll make sure to stay in a better room category though, it’s far more with it! Thank you for a wonderful vacation, we might be back for our wedding next July!

Room Tip: Anything except in the main building!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank S M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
  • Greek first
Central NJ
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I just returned from an 8 day, 7 night vacation to Jamaica (12-13-07 to 12-21-13). We booked and stayed at the Sandals (all-inclusive) Royal Caribbean Resort in Montego Bay. Everything was great!

Arrival & Check-in
We arrived at the airport in Montego Bay knowing to turn left after customs, and we instantly met a Sandals rep with an I pad. First he looked us up, and then he took our bags with labels, and ushered us to a Sandals waiting room in the airport. (Beer and soda were available to start the “all-inclusiveness.” After about 10 minutes, we were taken by bus to the resort. Just an FYI "All Inclusive" means at the Sandals resort only! Everyone else expects to be tipped, from the Red Caps who take your baggage at the airport, to anyone who transports you anywhere on the island.

Once we arrived on property, we were given a cool towel and a glass of champagne, and quickly ushered to the concierge lounge directly off the lobby. This room was lovely, air conditioned and had fun snacks including cheese, fruit, and some cakes. They also made us a special drink and told us to stop by anytime for another one of their signature drinks.

We were taken on a quick tour of the resort by our Butler Andre – he made it quick because he knew this was our 3rd trip to SRC. He mentioned all the new things, and then showed us to our room. As per the Sandals usual (which we love!) our luggage was waiting for us, already in the room. Andre offered to unpack for us (This was our first Butler experience, but I had read about this. I also read someone said they would not usually need someone to do this for them, but why not – so I decided to follow that person’s lead. They were totally correct. Andre did a great job of unpacking for us, and I am a little “too organized” and moved something’s around, but my husband noted it took 10 min, instead of my usual hour!) This allowed us to head right out to the pool – which was awesome.

Grounds & Room
They do a great job keeping the place neat. They rake every morning before most people rise. There is always someone tidying something at every turn. All the grounds are lush and beautiful. If you see the pics, and think, that looks too good to be true, it is one time in life where it REALLY is true. Looks the same in person as in the pics! (A few people were talking about this one night in the hot tub, and they said they could not wait to tell friends at home- it SERIOUSLY looks like the pics!)
The pools were nice (small, but nice). There were plenty to choose from, as well as hot tubs. All were PERFECTLY clean our entire week. In addition, unlike other places I have been they were also all working. We spent almost all our time at the “loud pool” – where there is a swim up pool bar, and Beach volleyball every day at 3pm. That needs no more explanation, right?!

New since the last time we were at SRC was there is now a restaurant on the private Island for lunch. We never did make it over there, because we are more pool people during the day, but from what I heard from other guests it was great. If you like beach, - the private Island is a great place to spend the day.
Bugs -- I had a few bites during the week. For me not to be eaten head to toe is pretty impressive, and my husband did not get bitten at all. I took bug spray & sprayed every evening. I am sure it helped. I would recommend it to anyone going. I did not need to re-apply, and I only sprayed after sun down.
Room:
For this trip, we booked a higher level than we had in the past, since it had been 2 years since our last get away. We booked the Royal Sanctuary Beachfront One Bedroom Butler Suite. This room is near the end of the resort, right before Kensington. It was great that is was away from it all, yet pretty easy to get to. The view could NOT be beat. It was as breathtaking as I thought it would be…the only issue we had was not with the actual room, but neighbors. I sincerely think Sandals needs to break up certain areas into nonsmoking areas/rooms. I am allergic to smoke, and our neighbor was a chain smoker (on the deck with his and her laptops, and literally smoked all day and night.) As a result *I* could not enjoy my beautiful patio, as when I did I had a severe asthma attack. Everyone at Sandals was understanding and was trying to determine the best fix to this problem. Thankfully the problem resolved itself as that couple left on the start of our 3rd day. Ellis had told us, as much as you love this room, we want you to be comfortable. He told me they would find me another “equally beautiful” room situation as the “worst case scenario.” Sometimes we wind up in these situations, and really what becomes important is feeling you are validated and your concerns are real. Ellis and Andre, and the Management team really could not have been more on my side, or more helpful. This is the kind of customer service that really speaks to sandals, as I have been other places, and the response has not been to this level. Ellis and Andre also kept me updated as they could as to resolving this issue. They really were a key in us not being nervous, and we knew we would have a resolution, one way or another.
Fitness Center & Spa
The fitness center was actually quite amazing – it surpassed those that I have seen at major hotels 3-5 times the size of Sandals! It had five treadmills, two elliptical machines, two step climbers, and two stationary bikes. In addition, it had a smith press, a cable tower, two leg machines, a chest press station, a lat station, a full rack of dumbbells, a full rack of barbells, two dip stations, and an incline sit-up bench. All this, plus room leftover for cardio classes (Upper body, Lower body and full body training were offered while we were there). There was also stretching, and Abs offered as well. Also, most mornings a power walk was also offered.
This was all staffed by Robin, who was very engaging, friendly, and helpful. He has a charismatic personality that drew all the guests’ in. (We had lunch with him one day, and he frequently could be sighted engaged in conversation with guests, joining them in a game of billiards, etc). Although not many people partook in the weight training (hey that happens at home too!) everyone who was near the pool always took park in Aquasize! It was so fun, tons of laughs and frankly a little difficult…only to the extent you wanted it to be. People who never exercised loved it too. Robin engaged everyone to participate, kept eye contact with everyone, and changed it up just a bit each day, so you were not sure of exactly what you would be doing daily. I know I looked forward to it every day at 11! See ya at the pool! Tell Robin Lisa from NJ said Hi!
Co-located in the same building as the fitness center is the Redlane Spa. This visit we did not use the spa. We actually had a free ½ hour couples massage because we are “silver level” but decided against it. We did not care to leave the sun, the pool or the games at all. As we told our Butler, “We are relaxed enough.”
Food – Regarding the restaurants that require reservations - make your reservations on your first day. It can be challenging to get into a few of the restaurant if you don’t book it early. Since we had the Butler service this time, Andre and Ellis were kind enough to take care of that without us having to think for a second. Although we did not utilize the Butlers as much as others, this was a definite plus! We were there during a less busy week, so I don’t think anyone had any issues. Always good to drop in and make the reservations when you get settled though, so you don’t have to think/worry about it the rest of the week.
There are buffets available with very nice displays almost every night. Sure, after 8 days you may see some of the same choices at different restaurants. BUT you can order something else! The ability to visit SMB and the Sandals Carlyle is an excellent plus of these resorts too. On property, The Royal Thai was great, and we enjoyed it and got great photos! For a while they were serving this restaurant banquet style (instead of ordering, each table gets a little of everything). Sometime between the last time we were there and this time, they changed it back. Now only a small bunch of people make the way over on the boat at once, and dinner service is the same as at other restaurants. All of the entrée items were delicious. Chicken with cashews, Beef green curry – all tasted excellent. Since I know the private islands can get buggy (hey it is a tropical island after all!) We put a little bug spray on before –and my husband was fine, and I only got minimal bug bites (which for me is excellent!)

We have found the snack bar at all Sandals to be of excellent quality and this was no exception. These are in my top favorite French fries in the world. (Maybe the Caribbean air?) As many have mentioned in other posts, you must try the Jerk Chicken at the grill- it is truly addictive! I HIGHLY recommend putting the Jerk Sauce on the fries (as Guy on the food network says, it is so good, it would probably taste excellent on a flip flop!) 
Breakfast everyday was a buffet, and although not very exciting specifically – had enough choices that everyone could find something to their liking. The woman (I wish I could recall her name) who make the eggs- had no problem cookies many people’s eggs, all with different orders completely correctly each and every time. I like eggs over easy, and she did them perfectly. The whole grain bread was my favorite, so I had an egg, toast, crispy bacon and chocolate croissants for breakfast every morning. Yes, not tons of choices, but I could live with that breakfast daily for a pretty long time and still be happy. The one non positive of breakfast was Cricketers. The service was super slow, and the woman taking the orders, etc., seemed to have a lack of understanding and a lack of connection. I ordered Crispy banana French toast, and was brought plain French toast from the buffet. When I asked questions about where the Banana was, etc. – I did not feel like she understood my question. Instead of getting upset I simply walked out and went to the buffet. My breakfast there was excellent just like every other morning!

The beach party on Friday was fun, and the food variety and quality were excellent. There was lots of playmakers dancing, and presenting awards from the weeks activities, and a fire eating guy. Overall very fun evening on the beach with friends we had made all week.
Drinks & Bartenders -- Very nice & plentiful. They'll make them how you like them. Just ask! Never a lack of anything I wanted. Albert and Kimoy served us great drinks at the bar all week. Chris made us a special drink he came up with on his own – if you see him, and you like coconut – ask for it- you won’t be disappointed! Previously you went to get your own drinks at the bar (which is never very far from where you are, at any time) but this time, the level of service was upped, and Ashelle would get your drinks, and refill your drinks poolside. When I got my own drink at one point, she said “Now Lisa, I said I would get it for you – go sit!” She was very serious about providing as much top level service as possible.
Tours - Although we did not do any tours, many friends we met throughout the week did and no one complained about any of them. I cannot specifically recommend any, but I feel like if you ask around, it sounds like you can’t go wrong.
Reunion Dinner
The reunion dinner was nice, although not as nice as reunion dinners of the past. They did serve us beautiful champagne cocktails that were delicious. When we were there in the past, Jeremy Mutton was the manager, and he was beyond fantastic. The current manager is not very friendly or engaging. I know he has been with Sandals the longest, but I don’t get any kind of positive vibe from him. Also he only said a few words at the dinner, and they were mumbled. We even met him (and had a similar experience with him) at Dunn’s before it closed. I hope in the future SRC gets a manager deserving of the title that engages and is personable to loyal guests.
We sat at table each hosted by a member of the management team, where we were served an excellent “surf and turf” dinner. Tashawn was lovely, and he is the manager of the return guest program. He made an excellent table host. Had everyone look at the menu, confirmed no allergies, and pleasantly spoke with everyone.
One thing that was sort of fun, but I feel a little tacky, was they took a picture of you at the dinner, and then at the end of dinner presented you this picture in a Sandals frame. Then they told you that you could keep it for $20. I feel like for people that spend that level of money as people are multiple returning guests with many many weeks of Sandals vacation investment, this is a tacky maneuver. I said I liked the frame, but did not like the picture, they said well you can pic a different one in snap shots to put in the frame. I said let me think about it, and the young lady that presented them snapped “this offer is only good for tonight!” I did buy it because I did like the frame, but I still feel like the presentation of it was a little off putting.
Water sports
We had such a great time with the playmakers playing games, and at the pool, we did not partake in this as much as in the past. My husband did learn to use the paddle board (with minimal, yet specific instructions) and did very well and had a blast. Everyone we saw all week participating looked like they were having great fun!
Staff & Management
Most EVERYONE who worked there was VERY friendly!!! I did not pass any worker the entire time I was there who did not say hello, good morning, how are you today, etc.
The Playmakers
Based on our prior experiences at Sandals, we’ve come to expect a lot of the playmakers. This group certainly didn’t disappoint. Their energy level helped to liven up the environment, and they encouraged participation from all the guests without being intrusive or annoying. Pool volleyball was a daily activity for us, and this was expertly organized by Kermit, Bambi, or Queenie, depending on the day. On most days, Kermit or Bambi also joined in the game. Don’t let Kermit try to tell you he does not play – tell him you read on line that Lisa said he was quite good!  Other playmakers provided their equally friendly presence, including Chiko, Hollywood, Tiffany, and Storm. As the leader of the crew, Ginger’s friendly and energetic attitude was serving as the positive model for them to follow. All the playmakers were accessible for games, chat, or providing random information you may want to inquire about. One game I would highly suggest to take part in during the week is Bocci with Kermit. He makes it an ‘around the world’ kind of a game – in that he takes you all over campus, (including a bar break) and then ends with crochet. It was hilarious, and fun, and the folks
we met during that game, we hung out with the rest of the week. Great fun, and it was a fun way to meet other guests. We love the games, try to get as many ‘points’ as we can, and win Sandals prizes (which we do – this week we even had high score.) We have traveled with friends on the opposite side of the spectrum, who don’t play or participate in anything, and they also think this is the best vacation ever! That says a lot, I think!
The Butlers
For a new experience on this trip, we booked in one of the butler category rooms for the first time. Andre and Ellis certainly set the bar high, and they will be a tough act to follow if we book this level again! At check-in, we were provided with a cell phone from which we could reach them directly at any time. We didn’t use their services as much as other guests probably do, but anything we did reach out to them for, they addressed quickly and professionally. Minor problems with our room were sorted out immediately, they reserved the best spot by the pool for us on a daily basis, (with a cooler filled with whatever you wanted) and they brought us snacks and drinks, sometimes before we could even think to ask. Most importantly, they took the time to get to know us, stopping by whenever they could not only to check in, but just to chat and learn more about us and our vacationing style, so they could better serve us during the trip. One thing we had them do that was fantastic was to schedule a few meet ups with the photography studio. More on that in a minute, but they were able to make sure someone was there at key points to get great pics, and if I were doing that on my own, I am pretty sure I would have forgotten! Andre and Ellis take so much pride in doing a superior job, from anything a guest may view is as “small” or “big.” From the towels animals some nights at bed turn down, to coming home one night to the bath with the flowers and champagne, to bringing me a crepe from high tea since I was trying to figure out how to be in 2 places at once.
Snapshots Photos
My husband summarized this to another guest very well. Someone said they thought the pics were expensive- and he remarked, well, you can’t consider you are paying for that single picture. You are paying for them to be walking around all the time, capturing the very best shots. If you were to pay someone to do that, imagine the cost! We don’t spend extra money on excursions, or special beach dinners, but for us the pictures are truly priceless. We have pics from every Sandals adventure, and in a moment we recall how we felt being there, and it brings us joy. Although I am sure everyone is lovely, we have to put in a good word for Wil Wisdom (yes, it IS his real name!) and Chad. They felt like our personal photographers – they were everywhere ALL the time! Not only the nicely dressed, sunset pictures, but pool volleyball, walking around the resort, Beach Olympics, and other places where the action was, and you would not think to have your camera, because you were so engaged with what you were doing!
Summary
I cannot say enough good things about our Jamaican experience at the RC. I strongly believe it was due to where we stayed. Our Sandals experience was simply the best at this location.

We have been to the Sandals in Antigua (before the overhaul) and St. Lucia – Halcyon and loved both of those. We also went to the Royal Bahamian and did not like that one very much. We went to Dunn’s River before it closed, but it rained the whole week, so its hard to say if we would have liked it or not, and now it’s gone, so it does not matter.
We plan to visit Exhuma next, as we have heard great things, and want to see Mr. Mutton again. We are already looking forward to our trip BACK to Sandals RC in Jamaica in 1 year. It truly is our home away from home. It really has proven to us, it can't be beat!!! The all-inclusive is the way to go!

We cannot wait and are already dreaming of our next trip! Please feel free to message me with any specific questions- happy to help if we can!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Chester37
Katy, Texas
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This was a great place to visit on Christmas Day. The staff was friendly and the entire place was clean. The food was delicious. We were here just for the day and the only complaint we had was the airport was right next door. The planes taking off were flying so so low and it was very much a disturbance. We'll stay at another Sandals next time.

Burlington, Ontario
Reviewed December 29, 2013

December 23 - 28

This was our second trip to SRC and our third to Jamaica overall. Our first was 18 years ago. A lot has change, but a lot hasn't. First and foremost, the service. Nothing to complain about here. The staff is friendly, helpful and seem to genuinely enjoy working at Sandals.

As this was our fourth trip to Sandals overall, we were pleased to learn that we are now Gold Sandals Select Members. Not exactly sure what that means but it was nice to know we have upgraded our status. What wasn't upgraded however was our room.

Upon arrival, we learned that we were not getting the free room upgrade that is promised to Sandals Select members. Upon hearing others at the resort say they had been upgraded, much to their surprise and without request, we were very disappointed that we were not upgraded. I suppose we could have stomped our feet and demanded an upgrade but that's not our style. Having said that, our room was adequate. We stayed in the Arundel wing, ground level with a garden view close to the front lobby. It was quiet except on a few occasions at night as I believe the service or employee entrance is in the back behind our room. Is was a bit noisy on a few occasions but nothing that disturbed us. I feel I should mention this if anyone prefers a super quiet room at all times.

I did call for two robes as they are not provided at our level of room and I was told that on the phone however, I was transferred to housekeeping who said they'd bring them right over. I had to call back the next day and request them again. This time, they arrived within five minutes. I cannot believe that something as simple as bath robes a) must be requested and b) are not provided for our level of room? Really? I guess being a "Gold Sandals Select Member" doesn't get you many perks. Although, I hardly call a bath robe a perk.

The main pool is a lot of fun and there is always something going on. Seating is limited here. Curtis and Albert mixed the drinks perfectly and were fun to talk to. I'd suggest a Jamaican Smile. By far, our favourite drink.

The beaches are very nice although very rocky. It is difficult to walk close to the shoreline due to broken shells and rocks but once you get into the water, the sand is soft and white. The water is crystal clear and super warm. The beach is kept clean and raked of seaweed. We didn't have a problem finding a couple of chairs even though it seemed like the resort was full.

If you get a chance to go to the offshore island for lunch, do it! Jerk pork and chicken done on the grill and great salads. The pool here is great. Nice and warm and clean. The bartenders are great. Again, seating is limited both on the beach and at the pool on the island. It's a lot of fun though and a bit quieter than the main pool/beach, if that's what you prefer.

The food was ok. The Mariners grill had the best sandwiches. Go for the ham and cheese panini if you can. Yum! I can't really compliment the restaurants too much as for us, they were just OK. You won't go hungry though that's for sure.

Overall, we truly enjoy this resort and have booked next year. Hopefully, we'll get our room upgrade.

3 Thank NKBurlington
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Just returned home after an outstanding vacation at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Jamaica. The resort is pretty close to the airport so we we got to enjoy a drink on the beach in no time!! The resort is well kept, the grounds immaculate. The beach is kinda small, but we had no issue finding empty beach chairs. We stayed in the Kensington Building, which is nice and fresh and quiet! The staff want out of their way to please and make our vacation memorable! Too many people to name, but the one staff member that went out of his way to make our stay most pleasurable was the Executive Chef Salvatore, who dropped whatever he was doing to accommodate us, to cook and prepare our kosher food. We cannot thank him enough. We definitely recommend this resort.

3 Thank mart11219
Nebraska
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We have been to Sandals Negril 8 times and love it but decided to splurge on an extra trip before Christmas to Sandals RC. We prefer a somewhat smaller, quiet resort and along with Negril this was perfect! We were there Dec. 16-22. This review will include a lot of comparisions with Sandals Negril to help anyone out who is debating between the two.

Room: We had a walkout beachfront one bedroom butler suite in the Balmoral building. It was literally a few steps to the beach which was fabulous but it endured some fairly strong north winds most of the time we were there. I was still able to sit on our small patio in the morning to enjoy my coffee. People do walk by right in front of the patio but we enjoy greeting people, etc. The bathroom in this suite was very nice but very small. We usually stay in the swim up suites at Negril so this was a nice switch.

Beach- We spend our days hanging out in our chairs on the beach reserved by our butlers. I don't think the resort was full and there were usually available chairs around. It was steps to the bar and grill and super relaxing. The beach is raked and kept up every bit as nice as Negril. Staff came around very frequently asking to bring drinks, etc. Our only disappointment here is that you can't walk the beach at this resort. At Negril we walk for 3 miles or so each morning to get a little exercise. At RC I had to hit the gym.

Gym- super nice gym with tons of equipment. But it was fairly hot in the gym. I showed up twice for the 7:30 Power Walk and no one announced it or anything so I walked on the treadmill. The staff person leading should have announced it in the gym and asked if anyone was interested.

Food- Food was fabulous!!! Better than Sandals Negril in our opinion ! We ate at the French restaurant twice and had the wonderful Lionel taking great care of us. Don't miss the desserts here! Lionel will bring you more than one! Lobster was okay at the Regency. We always did the breakfast buffet and ate outside along the railing. Devroy was so friendly at the pizza place and we had that for lunch most days. He even visited with us when he was off work and told how he loves his job and has wanted to be a chef since he was a young boy. Thanks Devroy!!!

Water sports- Since it was pretty windy the whole time we did not take out a Hobie cat like we do at Negril. Negril is more protected from the wind and better for water sports. We did paddle board 3 times in the mornings before it got windy. Water skiing is offered at Negril but not RC. We went snorkeling once at RC and it was a total bust.....too windy, no fish, and we were back after 20 minutes but we talked to others there who loved the snorkeling.

Staff - We return to Jamaica because of the staff/people....they are always wonderful. We went to Beaches Turks and Caicos last spring and didn't find the people as friendly. Huge thanks to our butlers Orlando and Ian who took great care of us! The darling girl from Thailand training in the main bar was tons of fun! Micah was teaching her well! We visited with a gal who is a manager in the wedding dept. at the Member's Select dinner....wish I could remember her name but she was lovely (tall, thin). She shared that they always begin staff meetings with reviewing these reviews from Trip Adviser so that they can constantly improve their service....most impressive!

The drive to Sandals Negril is at least 90 minutes vs. about 10 to Royal Caribbean so that is something to consider. We were at Sandals Montego Bay once during this trip and it is literally at the end of the airport runway so the plane noise is unbelievable! You do see/hear the planes at Royal Caribbean but it was never a problem or issue for us!

Thanks Sandals.....We'll be back to Negril in February and will certainly consider a return trip to Royal Caribbean!

5 Thank KSFRANCE
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in June/July 2013. Short ride from the airport to hotel. Perfect to relax and unwind at. A small and peaceful resort when comparing with the other Sandals properties you can visit by a short bus ride during your stay. Food and beverage choices are nice. Our room was average and on the second floor with a view of the beach. Not sure it matters what class of room you have when it comes to beach vacations. The butlers are worth it for the transfers, reservations to restaurants, etc. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple