“Simply the Best”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed July 23, 2008

First this was our second visit to this property.
We have also stay at two other Sandals resorts one in Negril and one in St Lucia. Jeremy is the general manager at Royal Caribbean has put together an outstanding team that really know how to take care of their guest. On the day of our arrival the concierge Ms Nicky Ann upgraded us to an outstanding room because we were returning guest. It was not the upgraded that impressed us but the way she personally escorted us to the room to make sure it met with our approval (It did). Secondly our friend had the river front suite with butlers. "Ellis the butler and Adia the Butler are the best I've ever seen at work in their roles, now heres the point about this butler team; they unpacked clothes, brought appetizers, had a bath ready with rose petals, made dinner reservations etc. The reason we're talking about them they were not our butlers, but they treated us with first class service also. (We will surely use the butler service on our next visit). While we were on the beach ice cream bars was brought out to us (all the guest) daily by Rick, So needless to we really enjoyed our second visit to this property and our fourth visit with Sandals. We have already booked next year for Antigua. See you there. Phil and Sharon

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank PPrice54

Reviewed July 21, 2008

My wife and I traveled to Sandals Royal Carribean and Off Shore Island 7/4-11/08.We have always wanted to visit one of the sandals resorts for years, so checking which one to choose was my job.Considering all options, price,location,flying time from Louisiana,room location to beach,private island a must for me,type of cusine,number of rooms,and no high rise.So it left only two choices,royal caribbean or bahamas.I choose Royal Carib. because the rooms were closer to the water and less people.No night life for me and more seclusion.The private island was my private hideaway.We had a peaceful,beautiful vacations and lets not forget the family of peacocks walking freely around.Barry from La.

4  Thank gilligan8
Reviewed July 20, 2008

My husband and I booked SRC for our honeymoon. After everything that we dealt with for our wedding we were really looking forward to relaxing by the beach. Well that did not happen. When we got to the airport, we went into the Sandals Lounge, the employees there seemed like they were flustered and it was very unorganized. When we got to the resort we waited outside in the lobby, and then in the concierge office for an hour, before we were taken to our room. When we first walked in we thought the room looked nice, but after looking around we were totally disgusted. The floor was so dirty our feet were black from walking on it barefoot. The toilet room was so small that you had to go in, and hide behind the door to shut it. The hot water faucet on the sink would not shut off, even when we used the shut off value underneath. The toilet clogged 4 times while we were there, for no reason. The shower head was a joke, I think that it had different settings, but when I tried them it ended up spraying the whole bathroom with water. The dining table was so wabbly that my husband spilt coffee all over himself twice! The fan looked like it was going to fall out of the ceiling, and made a constant noise. We always ran out of water and soda, and when they finally brought us more they only give you four at a time. I asked for some juice one day and it never came. While taking a shower I noticed that the shower light and tub light were hanging out of the ceiling. The housekeeping crew came at all different times of the day, and since there is no door on the bathroom and a glass shower you had to time it right so you weren't in there when they came. Because if you forgot to put the "Do not Disturb" sign up they just came in. The pictures that are online are so doctored I could not believe it. I was actually sitting on the patio looking at the Sandals book, and the pictures were not even close to what the view from the patio looked like. The pictures of the river suites are not at all how they really look. There are only three of them, and you are right in the middle of the resturants, check-in and main pool bar area. I did not have one of those rooms, I had a beach front concierge room, but I would not want a river suite. The airplanes going overhead are so close that you have to yell if you are talking when they go by. The food was also gross. Everytime I tried to order from roomservice, I had to change my order because they did not have what I wanted. When we did go to the buffet, they served salad, fruits, rolls, veggie stirfry, mashed potatoes, and trout. Who eats trout at a five star resort? The beach bar staff were really rude, I asked for cheese pizza one day and she said I couldn't have any even though there was an entire cheese pizza sitting in the display case. There was never any cheese left for the nachos, and the ice cream shut off at 8pm, and they burnt the food 3 times. And this food tasted like my high school hot lunch, not a 5 star resort. We had stomach aches after every meal, and headaches after we had been in our room for awhile. I think that I had 4 "Miami Vice" drinks while we were there, and if you don't tell them to put alcohol in them they don't. And if you go to the buffet, get your drinks before hand, because we finished our meals twice before our drinks came. I tried to get to the private island Thai resturant, after calling for 3 days, and being told that someone would call me back (they never did) I was told that they were booked. Also the peddlers that sell things to you from the water are crazy, they float around and yell to each other and sing so loud, we were woken up almost every morning because they were outside of our room. We would go to sit on our patio and watch the sunsets and they would paddle over and ask us if we wanted to buy anything, even drugs, and then beg us to give them beers from our fridge! Don't even bother with telling the security guards, because they ask for beers too and hang out with the peddlers. And if you don't give them a beer they yell that you have "no respect ,mon". I can deal with alot of things, but since this was my honeymoon, and we paid alot for a five star resort, I really expected more. I would not recommend this "resort" to anyone. All I can say is spend your money somewhere else, because this place is a total waste.

3  Thank alypill
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We loved this small resort and the people who work there are fun, sweet and work very hard to make sure you are happy. They would not accept a tip even though they really deserved it. The water and sand are beautiful. We loved walking around and seeing all the beautiful flowers, birds and peacocks. Our room was fantastic, clean, and the lady who cleaned it did a wonderful job and wouldn’t accept a tip.

Our friends met us there on the 3rd day and we all had such a good time exploring the island, playing swimming pool games, volleyball, laying on the beach and enjoying the entertainment (the fire dancer was an awesome experience). We all had a fabulous time. I enjoyed the day (Friday) that the vendors were on the beach and bought some dresses from Sharon. I picked out the fabric and she sewed the dresses for me for a very reasonable price. I also bought some of the wonderful carved wood fishes that you can’t get in Mexico. Those guys are so talented. However, I did not think it was necessary to allow the peddlers along the beach side on their little kayaks. They got on our nerves at times. And, if you allow the vendors on the beach once in a while, then I don’t think letting them come and call out to everyone on the beach on vacation is a good idea at all.

All of the restaurants at Sandals Royal were good. Having the freedom to take a free ride to Mo Bay to check out that Sandals was nice and we also ate at Tokyo Joe’s and it was pretty good. We really enjoyed our visit quite a lot and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ABCmom&dad
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We were extremely excited for our honeymoon and were hoping for the time of our life. Instead, we got great service and not so high quality of rooms and facilities. I would stay at Montego Bay instead of here if I decide to go again.

We arrived after a few flight delays around 3:00pm and were quickly whisked away to our room by Joseph (amazing person). We loved Joseph he was always available and willing to do whatever we needed. We were upgraded to a Beachfront Concierge in the Kensington building. We had hoped for a Royal Lux semi private pool room because the rooms were new as of January 1st. The rooms we got had a great view except the furnishings were outdated. We never dared to use the jacuzzi as it was old and dingy. All we used was the shower.

My first disappointment came when we tried to find food and had to settle with the beach grill which served great jerk chicken but nothing else good. The burgers and fries were worse than McDonald's and we won't even eat at there.

Our disappointment's- rooms need renovated, the quality of the restaurants here are poor (at Sandals Montego Bay you must try the Oleander Room and Bayside), The private Island was boring (Thai restaurant was a bad Chinese Restaurant served family style, the beach was small at the private island, and you can only take the boat on the hour so your stuck there). The water sports were not good here (One Hobie Cat, One windsail, no jet skis-no wakeboarding-no parasailing), The beach is really small and the seaweed lines most of the ground under water. Do the Rose Hall shopping tour not the City Centre (only 5 shops and each posed fake Tag Heuer watches and Rolex for $10,000 U.S. money)

Our likings- Joseph (Bellman) and Dwayne in the Cricketeer's Pub and Regency restaurant, The pools were adequate, the activities and entertainment were fun. We enjoyed snorkeling and the Piranha reef was beautiful. The sunsets are amazing here.

Reviewed July 16, 2008

My husband and I got married on resort property and I have to say that they treated us like royalty! It turned out to be the perfect day, the perfect week and a vacation full of fabulous memories! There are a couple of things that should be kept in mind when traveling to Sandals: they do not have an ATM machine on property, even though it doesn't seem safe, bring mostly cash with you. We had to walk off resort property to get cash from an ATM, and it was the most uncomfortable 30 minutes of my life! (scary)! We also brought travelers checks, but the only way we could use them was to credit them to our room and we could charge items to our room, but again, we couldn't use them as cash. A note about the gift shop, it is expensive, for example cigarettes cost $10 American dollars a pack. We asked the workers at the counter how much they were and one woman said $9 then the other said " Why did you say that, they cost $10", and then when we called the front desk to check they said they were $9, but the rest of the week the people in the gift shop charged $10. There were a couple of times that we felt as if people were ripping us off. Our cell phones did not work on the island, and we were unable to use international calling cards, so we had to make collect calls home ( a little bit of an inconvenience!) We also were given Visa international gift cards for our wedding shower and we were unable to use them to book excursions, they could only be used in the gift shop. Another reason you should have cash with you is because there are local merchants every where selling carved wood sculptures, shells, necklaces or other souvenier types of items and they obviously only accept cash. The merchants who paddle up on surf boards in the ocean can be a little annoying, so you have to set the tone immediately that you aren't interested. Within 30 minutes of being on resort property a local resident tried selling my husband marijauna, and literally put drugs in my husbands pocket, telling him to pay later. When you tell them you aren't interested, some get very upset and tell you that you aren't showing them respect. Again, these are not people who are affiliated with Sandals, but they come right up to the beach, and Sandals should discourage this a little more than they do. The Sandals experience, minus the little inconveniences, was great and we look forward to visiting again in the future. We only went on two tours, Dunns River Falls and the Martha Brae River Tour, both worth the money! Keep in mind that Dunns River Falls is amazing, but a little challenging physically and make sure you bring water shoes (they rent them there, but I don't recommend that). Don't underestimate the power of water pressure. We recommend buying the DVD from Dunns River Falls, we have watched it numerous times with family members and friends since we've been home. Bring a water proof camera to Dunns River Falls, you get soaking wet! When you are in Jamaica, you don't have to be a good photographer, it is so easy to take beautiful pictures there. Oh, side note, we were unaware that the private island had a nude beach, so don't be alarmed when traveling to the private island and you see naked people coming from the water.
There are 5 restaurants on resort property, but most of them you need reservations for, so I recommend making reservations the day you get there. If you are vegetarian, don't worry, they have plenty of vegetarian friendly meals! There is also a dress code for the restaurants, so make sure you bring dress clothes and nice shoes. The tours have the same situation. Some tours only run on certain days, so again, make your reservations the day you get there to be sure they fit in your schedule ( or before you get there by phone). Good Luck and have fun.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jthurston
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We recently stayed the Royal Caribbean and we absolutely loved it!!! The room was clean, beautiful, and spacious, as was the rest of the property. The grounds were well-kept and romantic, especially with the wild peacocks roaming around. The staff were fabulous and were always friendly. They clearly enjoyed their jobs and it showed. We highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to relax and have a romantic vacation.

2  Thank langevinvt