Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$488
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$517
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$244
$172
  • Breakfast included
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$1,584
Hotels.com
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$525
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$415
$256
  • Pool
Round Hill Hotel & Villas(Hopewell)(Great Value!)
$279
$269
Bookit.com
  • Pool
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$519
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Half Moon(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$434
Bookit.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
5,906 results
All reviewsthai restaurantroyal caribbeankensington buildingbig birdbutler servicebamboo shackcrystal lagoonle jardinierregency restaurantour honeymoonmain pooltracy anncricketers pubclothing optional beachbutler suitebeach grillwhite night
Reviewed June 27, 2008

My husband and I plus another couple stood at SRC from 6/20 thru 6/26. We all had a fabulous time. When we checked in, we were immediately seated on the lobby sofas, were brought cool towels with rum punch as well. We booked a Premium room but were automatically upgraded to a Royal Grande Luxe room and the room was beautiful! We even had a whirlpool tub in the bathtub. Also upon arrival to our room, we had a beautiful floral arrangment from the resort which was a nice touch as we were there to celebrate our wedding anniversary. One thing about this place is that the resort definitely does everything to make you feel welcome and relaxed. The spa is fabulous - I got a Tropical Bliss massage and was in heaven. Also, if you can, rent the cabanas on the tropical island. For $125/US dollars, you can rent a cabana and have a butler service from 9am-5pm. Talk about relaxation - just take a day and stare at the beautiful ocean and you will know what I am talking about. The restaurants were good; but I have to say that one of the VERY FEW turnoffs was that on the Regency restaurant, on the outside seating, in the evening, you will definitely see a number of big waterbugs crawling the ground. In reality, that probably cannot be stopped b/c it is a tropical island with a lot of humidity and the restaurant is right above the ocean; but nonetheless, seeing these little creatures, really put a damper on our dinners there. The food though was amazing. Always a nice variety at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. I'm not exactly sure where all of these negative reviews come from - it's really too bad that some folks were not able to enjoy themselves here. I cannot see how someone cannot enjoy this resort. Yes, there are vendors out in the ocean (they are not allowed on the property or the beach) that will try to sell you MORE than just beaded necklaces; but if this is not your thing, a simple no thank you and they will leave you alone. No big deal for us. There were one or two staff members that were on the rude side; but I wasn't about to let them ruin my vacation, so I brushed them off. Two last things for advice: BRING OFF for the mosquitos b/c they are ruthless. Also, the sun out in Jamaica is INSANELY strong. If you have fair skin; start with an spf of 30 and work your way down. I didn't take my own advice and am now suffering from sun poisoning. I'll know what to do next time though - So would I recommend this place - ABSOLUTELY. We will definitely return again in the future.

4  Thank Carmen830
Reviewed June 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Royal Caribbean for eight days for our 1 year anniversary and loved every second of the trip. The staff was incredible specifically the dive instructors, entertainment staff and the receptionist. There is a person who we would like to mention to ask for, if you need you need a GREAT dive instructor. His name is Lenroy. He was very dedicated to his job. He always was on time and was very knowledgeable. He deserves a raise and should be commended for a job well done. We even referred other couples to take the diving classes with him. He made our trip to Jamaica one of the best trips that we have ever had. We have traveled to different islands and we will definitely be back to this resort.
Also, we had a great experience with all of the people at the front desk especially Shana Spence. She always greeted us with a smile and was very pleasant. My husband and I wanted to make arrangements to go to a local place and she set up arrangements for us to go there and get back at a reasonable rate. They both made our trip worth the money we spent.
It was very clean. During the day if we wanted to relax we stayed at this resort but if we wanted more active entertainment we went to over to the local Sandals resort. It was only 5 mins away. A free shuttle runs you back and forth on every hour.
Highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shafer_Family
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My wife and I spent our Honeymoon at SRC June 9-16. I spent plenty of time on this site reading ALL the reviews about SRC and Montego Bay in general. Let me say for those who wrote bad reviews must be VERY hard to please or it was just not your cup of tea. We had the best time.

Airport:
The airport was ok. A long walk from the plane to the baggage area. Once we got to the check points it was a breeze getting through them. I guess if you read and fill out ALL of your paperwork correctly it isn't a problem. The Sandals lounge was great. We didn't even have enough time to finish a drink before they were calling us to the bus. MAKE SURE THAT YOU TIP THE BAGGAGE HANDLERS AND THE BUS DRIVER.

Check in:
We really liked the fact that they take you to a very nice open air lobby to the cushy couches to enjoy a cocktail while they bring your check in paperwork to you. Joseph was great.

Rooms:
We stayed in a Grand Luxe with garden view #409 which was just fine. The room was plenty big, nice big bed, corner tub and shower. The room was always cleaned with plenty of towles. Nightly turndown service with towel art left on the bed. Mini fridge always stocked with water, juice and soda. How much time do you really spend in your room anyway?

Food:
Every meal was very good. We ate at every place they had and didn't have a bad meal. Best by far was the candle light dinner for two we had set up on the beach our last night, what a way to end a wonderful Honeymoon.

We also ate at Tokyo Joe's at Sandals Mo Bay. Very nice setting and wonderful food and service as well.

Beach:
Yes it is very small but we never had any problems with getting lounge chairs or finding a nice quite place to soak up the sun. Don't let the overcast skies fool you, USE SUNSCREEN. They kept the beach very tidy, raking the sand several times a day.

Pools:
We had a pool right outside of our room so if we wanted to enjoy the pool we could use that pool to relax in or the hot tub as well. We spent alot of time at the main pool in the pool bar or playing some of the many games that the fabouls play makers have going on. Always plenty of clean towles and never had to ask for them.

Service:
What can I say about the service we recieved? Sandals by far goes above and beyond. Every time we would walk by an employee they would greet you with a smile and a hello. It goes to show that the GM Jeremy Mutton treats his staff very well. As for the GM, I seen him several times all over the resort taking notes and talking to guests. I also saw him a couple of times walking arournd handing out ice cream cones to the guests which they do everyday. I know it seems petty but on a nice hot humid day they really hit the spot. I had talked to Jeremy Mutton via email a couple of times before we arrived at the resort and he came through on all of his promises. When i aproached him at the resort and introduced my self he quoted our email conversations almost word for word. This shows me that he truely does care about the time that his guests are staying at his resort.

Overall:
I have traveled several places including cruises and I would rate this trip by far the best yet. The only trip I see ever beating this is my return trip next year. It was so hard to leave a place when you already feel like you are at home. This was our first trip to Jamaica and our first time at a Sandals resort but will not be our last.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank travelnut321
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We had such a great experience at Royal Caribbean that I actually shed a few tears on my boyfriend's shoulder the morning of our flight out of Montego Bay. Perhaps it was partly because I knew we were headed back to the real world of work and e-mail, but maybe moreso because the trip had been really, really excellent and Sandals Royal Carribean turned out to surprise us with a great experience.

The resort offered more in terms of service and things to do than we ever expected. We both really appreciated some of the special service touches from the resort staff which made us feel welcome. For example, when we arrived in the lobby on the first day, we were seated quickly in a comfortable seating area, and the check-in paperwork was brought to us by the concierge. We enjoyed the cookies and coffee that were always on hand throughouth the resort. At departure, the available resort staff came out on the front steps to wish folks on the departing bus goodbye.

The resort never felt crowded or like a cattle call, which made for a really relaxing and leisurely time. For example, it was always easy for us to grab our breakfast choices from the buffet and head out to a nice table for two on the deck overlooking the water. We never waited there. We walked up to the sports shack and borrowed the kayak without a wait. By contrast, we did an excursion one day which took us to the Sandals in Negril and found it to be a different pace, more crowded and less personal -- was harder to get the bar staff's attention for that much needed frozen drink! In spite of that, we still recommend taking the day excursion to Negril if you go. The seven mile beach is beautfiul and the cliffs portion of the trip offers some of the most stunning views we have ever seen.

Another highlight was the private island. We and several other guests braved a rain shower one evening to take the boat out to the open air restaurant with a Thai theme, and it was worth it! The food was served family style and we got the chance to try some different things we wouldn't usually order off a menu.

My boyfriend was also fortunate to enjoy personalized scuba lessons at Royal Caribbean, which was really terrific, and Shaq, his instructor, quickly became a friend!

Were there things to improve? Sure. Our room had average appointments and the usual wear and tear that comes with some age. Also, we found some of the entreprenurial efforts from the local folks a bit entertaining, but the resort seems to do a good job keeping things safe.

Overall, we were thrilled with our experience. We committed to get back to Jamaica on the day we left - and we would definitely stay at the Royal Caribbean again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank GRBuckeye
Reviewed June 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean June 3-9, 2008. I booked the trip last December as part of a 10-day Jamaica vacation to celebrate our 32nd anniversary. (We spent the first half of the trip at Sandals Negril; check Trip Advisor’s Negril forum for my review of that property.)

Because we had received a complimentary upgrade to a River Suite with butler service in Negril (thanks to IrieLady, a Trip Advisor poster; check with this great gal BEFORE you book; she has super connections but can't help you if you’ve already booked and/or paid), we kept telling ourselves that we had to lower our expectations and be prepared for “reality” at the SRC. However, we were more than pleased when we saw our lovely room in the Caernarvon block.

I booked a “royal grande luxe semi-private pool view” room. True, no butlers, but we were only steps from the pool and close to restaurants, stage, etc. Our room was spacious—especially the bathroom—lovely and completely comfortable. The bed was perfect for good sleep and both Sandals properties seemed to be thoroughly sound proofed (though a light sleeper, I slept very well). Rooms in the Caernarvon block consist of a bedroom w/desk, wardrobe-t.v. cabinet, and mini-fridge area adjacent to the bath (double-sink vanity, shower/Jacuzzi tub combo, large closet, and a toilet closet—yes, it’s in a tiny room by itself and has a door to close for complete privacy). IrieLady had requested ground floor for us, and that’s what we got. We stepped from our room onto a good-sized patio with table/chairs, down one step to loungers, and about five more steps into the Caernarvon pool, which is concealed from the front entrance/lobby area by beautiful landscaping. Noise was not at all a factor, we often had the pool to ourselves, and the pool area offered sun and shade as well as a continuously restocked supply of clean beach towels.

Food: This is not a meat and potatoes place. Yes, they have both, but they serve it with amazing presentation and nice accents. At SRC, breakfast and lunch are served buffet style at the Regency Suite & Deck. My early-bird DH usually brought me breakfast in bed around 10:30 a.m., but I did order one morning from the continental b-f menu; for this, you check off items you want along with the time you want it and hang the request on your door before going to bed. This service tends to run behind, but I liked that because I’m a late sleeper. In terms of lunch, I usually had b-f so late I didn’t need it, but the one day I went, I loved the fresh/hot breads/rolls, salads, cheeses, etc. You will NOT go hungry!

Our dinners were almost 100% delicious; we only wished we had more nights to eat! Many posting here raved about Le Jardinier, formerly The Courtyard. We managed a reservation for this French-food café our first night; however, we were unimpressed with our server, the appetizers, and the soups. This was OUR fault; we picked the wrong things. The server was a fluke for Sandals; every other person we had at four different Sandals’ properties was a standout in personality and exceptional attentiveness (Beaches Negril/Seville; all restaurants at Sandals Negril; Tokyo Joe’s/Sandals Mo Bay; all other SRC eateries). Royal Thai was scrumptious; people who complain must not have a wide palette! We had so much on our plates at Tokyo Joe’s (SMB) we couldn’t eat all of it. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening meals at The Regency.

When we needed food at other times of day, the Beach Bistro hit the spot with yummy quesadillas, wraps, soft-serve ice cream, pizza, onion rings/fries/burgers. Our last morning at SRC, we ordered wraps and quesadillas and took them with us on the plane! Not a bad use for all those zip-locks that no longer contain 3-ounce bottles of liquids in your carry-on ;-)

Many guests we talked to were unhappy with SRC’s beach; however, I think this may be because they didn’t do their research. If you just look at the property map, you can clearly see that most royal grande luxe beachfront rooms in the Windsor building are smack behind the beach volleyball court, so yes, you’ll have noise and people outside your door. If that’s the room category you want, request the Sandringham or Balmoral building blocks. IrieLady had told me the best locatiob for beach/ oceanview/quiet is in the Kensington block; she is right! And these are concierge service so you’ll also get booze in your room.

At SRC, beach areas ARE small, and vendors ARE ever-present. Even when we strolled the beach/piers after dinner, we’d have vendors call out to us. If the beach is all-important, stay at SRC but take the hourly shuttle to Mo Bay and its lively beach; we met people who did this daily. Much handier is Sandals Cay where the Royal Thai is located. One side is clothing-optional; the front side is “normal” beachwear. Grab some food from the Beach Bistro before heading over on the “dragon boat”; the island has its own bar, so you’re all set.

Water and other sports are plentiful at SRC. My DH snorkeled daily and also did his PADI certification for diving; it’s a lot cheaper/easier to do at Sandals than in the States, so he highly recommends it. Because no one ever showed up at the tennis courts, he had several “private lessons” with Orville the tennis guy. Sailing is a breeze (oh, couldn’t help myself; English teachers tend to pun) at SRC. Something is always happening at the main pool in terms of games/contests/etc. You have no reason to be bored at SRC unless you are shy.

As for how the air cond. works, I am an older, plus-sized lady who is hot in the middle of Iowa winters. I was never hot in our rooms or in other air conditioned spaces. Be advised that not all restaurants have air, and take appropriate clothing. I packed only sleeveless things and was remarkably comfortable.

SRC sprays for bugs three times daily; you’ll see/smell the fogging. I saw four mosquitoes on four separate days. No big deal; I live in IOWA! Other bugs: None. Crabs: Two—one scuttled into our room one night as we opened our door; the other we saw tracked and caught by a beach patrol guy below us as we dined on The Regency deck.

Other guests at SRC are honeymooners, anniversary-celebrators, or wedding guests. Most tended to be younger than we are (mid 50’s).

Alcohol: If you have concierge-level or above lodging, you can pour on all the booze you want. If not, simply stop at one of the bars located every ten feet. When you think your drink doesn’t have enough alcohol, simply ask the bartender to add more.

A word about tipping: don't; they really do get fired for accepting it if caught. A supervisor CHECKS THE ROOMS and removes tips before your housekeeper goes in to clean. I asked specifically about this; the person I asked had worked at Sandals for over two decades and seemed alarmed by my questions, so I believe her. BUT if you have butler level, you are ENCOURAGED to tip your butlers as YOU please.

Because we had stayed at Sandals Negril four days before moving to SRC, our helpful IrieLady got us an invitation to the returning guest cruise with General Manager Jeremy Mutton. Perfectly lovely! What an incredibly kind man he is. You’ll see him everywhere on property, constantly taking note and making things shipshape.

We rate our SRC visit at 150 or even 200%! We are ready to go back and hope the economy will allow it because we are totally sold on Sandals!!!

7  Thank KetsyK