“First Sandals Experience- We will be back!”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Fairfield, Connecticut
“First Sandals Experience- We will be back!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from our 6 day stay at Sandals Royal Carribean. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived because we had been upgraded to room overlooking the swim up lagoon. Our room was cozy with a large king size bed and a beautiful whirlpool tub. Each day we either went to the beach on the main resort or took a trip over to the private island to hang out there. Drinks were plentiful and we were consistently satisfied by their selection of breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. The Bamboo Shack was open on the private island from 1230-230 and that was our favorite lunch spot. Our favorite dinner spot was Le Jardinier, but make sure you make a reservation if you want to go. We would recommend ordering a Jamaican Smile, Purple Rain or Dirty Banana as your drink choice. You will not be disappointed!

We would recommend you sign up for an excursion at the resort through Island Routes (these are an additional cost). We took a day trip to Negril with our tour guide Dalton. It was SO much fun! We went to the Sandals Negril for a few hours and stopped to do some shopping and sight-seeing in Negril as well. Before we headed back, we went cliff diving and had some delicious jerk chicken at a place called The Caves. We would also recommend taking a trip to the other Montego Bay Sandals resorts. The shuttles are free and run every hour.

Did I mention that this was our honeymoon? We were given a complimentary candlelit dinner on our last night at the resort and was surprised many evenings by rose petals on our bed and a bottle of champagne! You would be crazy not to book your vacation at this resort. You will meet friendly people who are both guests and those working at the resort.

2 Thank SuckerForTravel
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. It's so great to read that you had a relaxing and romantic honeymoon with us. We always want our guests to have a wonderful time in a comfortable and worry-free environment filled with friendly staff who are eager to serve.

We're happy to know this won't be your last stay and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Greek first
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 6-day honeymoon at Sandals Royal Caribbean. We stayed in a butler category room and had Hughill and Ellis as our butlers. They made the experience so much better! They brought breakfast for us, set chairs up at the beach for us so we didn't have to get up early in the morning to drop our stuff off to claim our chairs, brought a cooler of drinks to us, chose our dinners for us all week, helped get excursions setup and had us prepared for every day of our stay. Their services were well worth what we paid for!

The property had a nice open feel, the beach was always well taken care of, and the food was all amazing! The property is so well maintained and had beautiful flowers, trees and bamboo everywhere. The beach is a good size that you don't feel overwhelmed with people around you. The swimming area on the beach is not too deep that you can bring your drink into the water and not have to worry about losing it to any waves. If you look close enough, you can see that there are small barracuda, fish and even hermit crabs all around but they don't ever bother you. The Sandals Cay island was small, but nice!

The food was all very delicious. Be sure to try any of the Jerk Chicken recipes or even the Jerk Burger from the Mariner bar and grill. Save some room during the day to catch a pizza snack at Pizza Napoli. The Jerk Chicken pizza is amazing here! I didn't try it but the seafood pizza was also getting rave reviews from many of the couples we talked to! Try and reserve a dinner in the Regency around 6:30-7pm, you can watch the sunset on the deck while you eat! If you like lobster, be sure to order the Lobster at the Regency for dinner.

The staff were also all very friendly, accomodating and always smiling. The evening entertainment was awesome and interactive! The entertainment crew: Nicky, Ginger, Richie Rich, Hollywood, Kermit kept all the daily and evening activities very fun! Karim from the photoshop takes great photos, so if you're interested in a photo session, book it with him, he did a great job taking pictures for us! Housekeeping was in the room at least 2-3 times a day making sure the bed was made and they left us surprises through the day with their towel creations and making sure our towels were always stocked. The drink guys came through daily to make sure our fridge was replenished and our butlers left afternoon snacks for us in the room every day.

If you're looking for some great drinks to try, stop over at the Pool Swim-up Bar to see a list of "some" of the drinks. We highly recommend trying the Dirty Banana, Sky Juice and the Miami Vice. The pool bar bartenders are all awesome and funny!

We had the pleasure of booking this trip through Ruth DeMuth of Tripguy Travel. She was very easy to work with, and always very prompt to respond to any questions we had. If you are considering booking a honeymoon on the Sandals site, get in touch with Ruth DeMuth instead! Tell her what you're looking for and she will go above and beyond to get you everything you are looking for in your trip! My wife and I are trying to figure out when we'll come back to this resort, and we will definitely book again through Ruth!

Room Tip: Swim-up Suite rooms made for an awesome breakfast in the morning!
1 Thank gexclipse81
Reviewed July 30, 2013

From the second We walked in the airport we were treated with first-class accomdations when we got to our resort we were looking at paradise while the lobby was open with a carribean breeze blowing thru it , we couldn't stop taking in the great view of the carribean sea. our room was clean and we really enjoyed the beaches.Staff was friendly and service was great.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank AnthonyMig
Thank you so much for your great review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're thrilled to read that you had such an amazing vacation with us in paradise.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another stellar vacation in the near future.
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were at Sandals Royal Caribbean from Sunday, July 21 thru Thursday, July 25, 2013. This was such a beautiful, relaxing treat.

Upon arrival at the airport, we did use the Club Mobay VIP package which gave us a private escort and quicker access to customs. The person from Club Mobay was with us from the time we got off of the plane until we arrived at the Sandals Lounge.

I do have to say that everyone at this resort was very friendly with excellent customer service. Our room was beautiful with a great view of the ocean. The food was fabulous with no complaints especially the jerk chicken both at Mariners and the island shack. I do wish they would work out a better system with their dining reservations. This was my second Sandals trip and both times we have had difficulties getting dinner reservations even though we try to book them on arrival. We even walked up to some of the restaurants to see if we could get in - we couldn't even though the restaurants were not anywhere near full.

We did enjoy going to the island every day and just hanging out at the beach. But, if you want activites you can certainly find them.

The only complaint that I had on this trip is that we had to come home!!!!

1 Thank Bugiex2
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We loved staying at Sandals Royal Caaribbean! The staff were great and always friendly. The weather was awesome~ loved the cool breeze with the hot sun! Food was wonderful and service was even better. We met lots of super people from all over ~ even 30 miles down the road in Georgia!
Steve and Renee July 21-28
Teresa(Texas)- Steve keeps looking for his picture LOL!

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week at Sandals Royal Caribbean and we are already trying to figure out when we can go back. This was the best vacation we've ever had, and we've had some good ones.

This was our second visit to a Sandals property, previously staying at the Sandals Royal Bahamian 4 years ago for our honeymoon. While we really enjoyed that resort, and liked it enough to try another Sandals property, we much preferred the Royal Caribbean. The resort is smaller, only having 197 rooms. This made for a more intimate experience. The resort was easier to navigate as well. We felt like we knew everyone there by the end of our trip, guests and staff.

The grounds are gorgeous and the whole property is really well kept. We stayed in the Balmoral building, overlooking the Kensington pool. Our room looked recently remodeled. The bathroom tile was beautiful, the furniture was very nice, and the bed was so comfortable.

The food was very good. We didn't have a bad meal, and I felt that every restaurant had something for everyone. We tried every restaurant except the French restaurant, Le Jardinier. We should have made reservations earlier in our trip. We waited until Tuesday to try for reservations for Thursday and they were already booked, which I expected, so I wasn't disappointed. We had no problem getting reservations for Royal Thai on Sandals Cay but we booked further in advance. So my suggestion is to make reservations on the day you arrive so you are all set.

I had read some trip reports complaining about the peacocks, specifically the noise they made. I brought ear plugs, in case this became an issue. While we saw peacocks, I never heard them make a noise. Perhaps this is a problem at other times of the year, or in other areas of the resort, but we had no issue.

I also had mild concerns about the airport noise. I decided I'd rather risk a little airplane noise than have a 1 1/2 to 2 hour bus ride to another resort. You do hear an occasional plane, but just during the day time, and it wasn't constant or so bad that you couldn't enjoy your daily activities. Once in awhile I would have to pause a conversation for 15 seconds while a plane went overhead, but it really was not an issue.

The staff is this resort's biggest asset. When my husband actually hugged a member of the staff for making his birthday the best ever, I knew we had hit a home run. The Club Sandals (concierge staff): Shanique, Regina, Ian, Andre, and Dezreen, they all made us feel so special! Every time they saw us, they remembered us, acknowledging us by name. So glad we attended Ian's fun wine tasting, and enjoyed the martini hour and cocktail hour.

Our cabana concierge, Nicole: What a wonderful lady who took such great care of us during our cabana day. She made sure we had everything we needed. Nicole went out of her way to bring a birthday cake out to the private island for my husband's birthday, and had Shanique come out as well to sing to him. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The Playmakers (entertainment staff): This whole group seems to really like their jobs. They work long hours ensuring everyone is having a good time all day long. Chiko, Hollywood, and Richie Rich really were memorable and kept us laughing.

Kevin in the Cricketer Pub kept the music going into the late hours. And his bottle balancing skills are impressive.

I highly recommend that if you stay at this resort, you take advantage of everything that is included. We enjoyed the glass bottom boat ride, and Stefan with the Water Sports staff showed us a great time on the Hobie Cat. He could have just taken us out for awhile, but he was very personable, easy to talk to, and taught us about the island as well.

Last but not least, Cleaveland in the piano bar and Nicola with the pool bar staff. Cleaveland was so friendly and made us great drinks, and Nicola made sure that my husband and I not only always had a drink in our hand, but that my husband hadn't fallen asleep and into the pool!

I cannot say enough good things about this resort. The only minor complaint I had was that you get some mixed information. For example, two different publications from the resort gave different information regarding the dress code for Royal Thai. One indicated that men had to wear collared shirts, the other indicated that wasn't the case (and this was the one we read). Turns out that men do have to wear a collared shirt. It didn't matter to us either way as my husband had several shirts, collared and without a collar. But if we hadn't stopped into the piano bar for a drink before dinner and mentioned to Cleaveland where we were headed, my husband would have been embarrassed when we got over there and he was turned away. Luckily we had time to run back to the room for a quick change. Later I found the other publication and wondered why there was the discrepancy.

Other than this very, very minor incident, I really can't say anything negative. We absolutely loved this resort and cannot wait to return.

3 Thank KarenPinNC
Jackson Center, Ohio
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We traveled with two other couples celebrating our 10th anniversary. We upgraded to a Concierge room in the Kensington Building...rooms were great, fridge and bar stocked daily and housecleaning were prompt. We loved that the beaches were separated, you could hang out in a small group or join the crowd...your choice. Grounds were kept clean and they had many activities day and night. Our concierge Andre was great, very polite and accomadating. Our group had several chats with him and the photographer Chad about the Jamaican culture, they seemed very sincere and were a lot of fun to hang out with. All of the drinks at the resort were full of liquor, they didn't skimp! You can even bring your own bubba keg and they will fill it up for you. I researched this resort for the last year...those who had a bad review must have much higher expectations than I do...can't think of a complaint! We visited Sandals Montego Bay while going on a Reggae Cruise...would definitely recommend Royal Caribbean more!

Room Tip: The Kensington Building was nice because it was at the end of the resort, It also had it's own p...
1 Thank Misty R