I have been to Sandals Grande St. Lucia, Antigua and Whitehouse. The Grande in St. Lucia is still my favorite, but Royal Caribbean comes in at a close 2nd! There are so many things to say and a lot of the recent great reviews cover them all, so I will try not to be too wordy...although I will probably be anyway since I am in the hotel industry myself. :) Customer service here is unbelievable. I haven't seen service like this since I was in St. Lucia (very comparable). Everyone goes out of their way for you with a smile.
Pools/Beaches: The main pool is smaller than some of the larger hotels in the Sandals chain, but it is a perfect size for this hotel. The beach is beautiful and the water is clear. I preferred the beach and pool on the mainland side, but the pool and beach on the island are good too. Just my preference...my husband preferred the island. I just didn't like the wood deck around the pool on the island because it gets too hot.
Dinner...My favorite was Royal Thai and we ate there twice thanks to our fabulous server Georgia! Thai food is one of my favorites and when we arrived on Friday we couldn't get in until the following Wednesday night. I told our server Georgia about this and she spoke to her manager to get us in again on our last night. This was greatly appreciated and great above and beyond service! She was super sweet and will be remembered!
My husband's favorite was the French restaurant, so we ate there twice. He is a steak guy and he said it was the best steak he has ever had! We met the chef so my husband could thank him personally, but unfortunately I can't remember his name now. I had the shrimp dish and the chicken and both were great!
Tokyo Joe's at Montego Bay was really good as well. My favorite part of the meal was the sushi appetizer and I could have eaten more of that for my meal. I'm a lighter eater, so this meal was very filling and heavy for me (mostly because I put too much on my plate for them to cook), but my husband loved it.
Lunch...The island buffett was my favorite, the jerk burger at Mariner's was great, and the jerk chicken pizza is wonderful. The fish burger at Mariner's however was gross...I thought it would be a fish fillet sandwich, but it was minced fish meat in a burger shape.
Breakfast...We mostly ate at Cricketers for breakfast, but had the buffet a couple days which was good too.
Room: We have always gone the cheaper route since we don't spend much time in our room and we usually get an upgrade. We were in the Royal Grande Luxe with Semi-Private Pool View in the Caenarvon building on the 2nd floor. This was a 2 category upgrade from what we booked (which we do appreciate). I can't complain because the room was fine, but I personally will book no less than the Royal Grande Luxe Beachfront Room or Concierge in the future. I just didn't like the view of the hotel entrance and having to walk through the entrance to get to our room. Also, the entrance to our room and bathroom window were facing some maintenance areas of the resort and it got loud in the morning and there was a trash smell sometimes when walking to our room. The first floor of this building would be better because you have a walk out to the pool and are lower than the trees so you are not looking directly at the porte cochere.
Fitness Center: Best hotel gym I have EVER USED!! I went to the gym 5 of the 7 days we were there and was so happy. It was huge and they have everything you need!!!
Special shout out to Karim our paparazzi, Albert at the pool bar, Chico and Richie Rich!! Thanks to everyone at SRC for a great trip, bravo on your service and keep it up!!! We are going to Sandals Grande Riviera next year, but we will definitely be back to this resort!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •7 exquisite dining options, with world-class culinary cuisines.•Only Jamaican resort with a private offshore island, housing an authentic Thai restaurant.•Magnificent, swim-up crystal lagoon suites.•24 hour room service as a part of our concierge service.•English pub offering an authentic pub dining experience.•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row.•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Expedia so you can book your Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort Jamaica
- Sandal Royal Caribbean