Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed April 27, 2013

April 14-20 , Was a wonderful time in Jamaica, weather was warm as were the people working there. very relaxing vacation , very happy with the service, and accomidations. The staff remembered us, they were very friendly. our room with clean and comfortable. Thank you to a few of the staff, that stood out to us,Odane,Trimaine, Donovan (in training), Lady's Dora,Ginger, and Storm, and of course Hollywood,(what a clown), Thank you for making our trip so much fun. And also to the food prep people, We never had a bad meal, over all it was all We'd hoped and more.

Room Tip: Ask, for Beach front without tree view.
1  Thank 708tom

Reviewed April 26, 2013

April 26, 2013

Just back from 10 days at Sandals royal Caribbean. I don't normally post comments but this place deserves recognition. My wife and I along with another couple have travelled frequently in the Caribbean. From nice resorts to mediocre. Many have had nice beaches and great food. This place was no different. The food and property can be something of preference, so all I can tell you the food and beach were fantastic for us, however, what really separated this resort was the people.

ALL, and I mean ALL the staff at the SRC were incredible and deserve recognition. Always smiling, friendly and ready to help, even Albert at the pool bar. Sammy, everything IRIE man. (That should bring a smile). Albert, Jagan, Linvale, Nicola and Verna, and the others at the bar thank you for the bubba fills!

Paparazzi (Karim)... awesome pics, thanks!

Ricardo at the breakfast bar, superb! Every morning with a fist touch for everyone. And I mean everyone. I just want to express my thanks to all. I will never remember all the names, but to the young lady who sat us for breakfast and Kevin in the Cricketers, Thank you.

Derrick and co-workers, for your tireless work efforts on keeping the beaches manicured, and buoy ropes spotless...yes, Sandals even have staff cleaning the ropes from algae buildup!

And a special thank you to the entertainment staff. Chico, Hollywood, Richy Rich, Theo, Tobian (Storm), and Dora. If I'm missing someone I apologize, you are included in our thoughts. I cannot say enough about these guys. 6 days a week, morning till night dancing, engaging, funny. Words cannot express. You guys made our vacation special and I don't know how you do it, day in and day out. Even with the now famous Canadian Chandelier Incident, too funny.
Richy Rich, nice job on that one by the way. You handled that professionally and calmly.

Our hats are off to all of you. God bless and take care. We hope to see you all again soon!

Your friends from Canada, Doug, Debbie, Steve and Sue. Or D&D and S&S

And Sandals Management....bravo to you on the perfect selection of staff, in every department!

4  Thank Debbie G
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have just come back from a great 2 weeks at the Royal Caribbean. Jason and Khalil were
excellent as usual. There is always something lovely being done in our roon which was a
Honeymoon Butler Suite. Furnishings were good, bed so comfortable, food great and the staff
are always on hand to do anything you wanted. So friendly. We really feel like it is home from
home. When we were leaving the General Manager, Hotel Manager and other staff (including our butlers) came on the coach and song us a lovely song and all the british folk were very
touched that they really wanted us to be part of the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the nightly entertainment are best if you retire early.
1  Thank rockyl58
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Best 40th Anniversary Ever
My lovely bride, Jean-chan, and I stayed at Sandals RC for one week (8 Apr. – 16 Apr. 2013). Our highest expectations were exceeded at every turn.
We were especially impressed with the following:
• The Value-Truth is all people and all experiences are unique. Concepts like fair market value only apply to fungible goods. Price and worth is not the same thing. A hundred dollar bottle of wine is not ten times as good as a ten dollar wine. If you can afford Sandals you will never regret it. It is a splurge. It is over the top. The price is high enough that people who are likely to try to drink enough or eat enough to justify the cost are attracted elsewhere. It is the same with the internet charge. We paid the extra fifty bucks for the week because we needed it for our business. It was always there when we needed it, because there was no one playing Angry Birds on that bandwidth.
• The Smiles - Everyone there seemed genuinely pleased to be of service in any possible way. Smiles and greetings came from the heart, service was swift efficient and gracious. Between the contagion spread by those smiles and the free flowing Rum even the guests were flashing more teeth than a McCulloch chain saw.
• The People-Everyone who works for Sandals is wonderful, and everyone who stays at Sandals is there to have a good time. Sandals RC is an especially good place to meet people of all ages whom you may find simpatico. The resort is designed to bring people together in small groups, at the bar in Eleanor’s or around the Piano in the Cricketer’s, at the fire pits, in the whirlpools,on the dive boats. . .everywhere you turn there are small groups of couples in quiet intimate spots. We met a world class hockey player from Canada (who turned out to be a world class nice guy), a wonderful couple from England (Hello Steve & Ann) and will we ever forget Ivan from Denmark whom we met three hours before his wedding?
• The Sea- Where we come from the sea is grey, or on a good day verdigris green with wind waves atop a six to eight foot swell. She is colder than a banker’s heart year round crabby bottomed and treacherous. We call it “The Pacific”- go figure. The sea outside my sliding glass doors in room 4303 of the Kensington was turquoise, teal and azure blue lying flat as a yachtsman’s wallet and warm, soft and gentle as your mother’s smile. The sight of it will cure your hypertension.
• The Water sports- Everything you could want to do on the water but walk is included. Hobie Cat Waves are about as safe and easy to get around in as a bed room slipper. The hull is soft plastic poured in one piece, there a batten on the mainsail, no boom. Two or three Hobies sat grounded on the beach the whole time I was there. Learn to sail, they will teach you. It’s included. Or kayak or stand-up and paddle or snorkel or swim or float in the pool or . . . well, the whirlpool bath in my room was big enough for two and had a handy ledge all around.
• Diving-We are Padi certified rescue divers with about 200 logged dives in Hawaii, Mexico, California kelp beds, and Bonaire. We have seen a lot places and known a lot of dive masters. Jamaica may not have the best dive site in the world at this juncture in time, but the Sandals Dive Crew is up there with the very best ever. They are the most safety conscious people we have ever dived with, and they are great fun. If you go tell Shaq and Devon and Yogi and Diesel and David and Sawe thanks for the dives. The best part of it all was the fun and the thrills you showed to us. Say thanks to Tamara, Simone, Devan, and Boyar, and to Owen over at Sandals MB, as well. I almost showed up with a DIN fitting on my Reg, but these folks set me straight, kept us safe, showed us the time of our life, dried our hair, told us jokes and fed us watermelon and mango at the end of the dive. Ya Mon. it was a little choppy now and then on the 2nd Dive of the day, but they all knew just what to do to make it fun and safe. In the end it is the dive you do in your heart that counts, the sea is only fish and water.
• The Food-Don’t miss Le Jardinière. The Rack of Lamb is wonderful; the filet de boeuf is delightful. With a nice Beringer Cab, candle light, and a beautiful lady, it is a slice of heaven. Caveat: You ain’t in San Francisco. Authenticity is not the aim at Sandals. People from London and people from Paducah have different tastes. You may find the spice a little sparse and the names of dishes may not match the food on them. This is especially true of the Royal Tai. I can only guess that certain ingredients are not available there. Bring your own fish sauce (nam pla), galangal, garlic, lime, and peppers, or think of it as Chinese American food. The Regency was consistently good. Especially at breakfast—wonderful fruit: mangos out of season (where did they get them? Give them to the Thai cook with a little sticky rice) The Lox was perfect. Every day there is a little change in the spread with themes like “Tex Mex” or “sea food”. Eleanor’s serves wonderful Jerk and spicy fries right on the beach and for desert try a little self serve ice cream topped with rum cream from the beach bar.
• The Rooms- We were in room 4303 in the Kensington and the room, the view, the bed, the balcony everything is just like the picture on their web site. We had towel art every day (sometimes two at the same time), they restocked the bar and fridge at least once a day, there was turn down service, robes and everything you could imagine in the way of hair care and skin care products all included and refreshed every day, spirits of all stripes, beer of one stripe, several wines including sparkling wine in the fridge. Room service was included. The tile in the bath area was a work of art.
• The Entertainment- Well, it is all entertainment. From the Towel art on the bed, to the barmen, to the gardeners and the butlers, and that invisible person who magically makes your wet towels and empty coffee cups disappear, it is all about carefree fun. The highlights are the playmakers, and the performers. There was a wonderful children’s band that marched in the from gate and paraded throughout the resort one afternoon. There was a four piece calypso band with enough energy and enough personality for a full orchestra. There was a Country & Western guy, and there was the best steel band, Silver Birds, that I can imagine. There are plenty of classes and contests to keep you busy if that is what you want. We learned to cook Jerk chicken, and I took a class in towel Origami so I could surprise Jean-san with a little towel art when we got home.
Thanks to Trip Advisor we came well prepared. Be sure to bring the following:
• Sun screen
• Insect repellant & After Bite
• Hot sauce, small pepper grinder, soy sauce, fish sauce ( Nouc mam)
• Japanese folding fan
• Candles and massage oil
• Leave the attitude at home, you won’t need it.

Room Tip: Pawn you oldest child and get a room in the Kensington. It is quiet, private, intimate and luxurious...
6  Thank Terry K
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We just returned from this resort where we spent 7 days for our weddingmoon. There are not enough words to explain how much fun we had, how amazing the service was, or how welcoming the staff members are. The resort is smaller, but we never felt crowded even though all rooms were booked. We had a lagoon suite that included the butlers...Flo and Adya were amazing! They went above and beyond when we asked them for anything!! Donovan and Micha, the bartenders are what you look for in perfect barteneders...fun, friendly, creative, and engaging! the playmakers are always making sure people are having fun and getting involved and making the best memories! Hollywood, Chiko, and Richie Rich are hilarious! Our wedding day was the easiest, , least stressful day ever, as well as the planning via phone calls with Shadena and the on-site consultation with Marcine. These two ladies were a bride's dream come true. Marcine treated me like I was one of her own to make sure my day was just as fabulous as if a thousand people were watching me. Our wedding photographer Kemar did an amazing job! We ended up having 300 pictures to choose from all of which were amazing!! The food was great as well...quality, presentation, and taste were impecable! We plan on going back for our 1 year anniversary...Sandals is the only all-inclusive resorts we will ever travel to...no others can compare to the service, entertainment, and hospitality. Do not believe the complaints about this resort.....some people will never be satisfied! WE LOVE SANDALS ROYAL CARRIBEAN!!

4  Thank Becky V
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Royal and have no complaints. Beautiful views, awesome food, and lots to do! Kevin, Micah, and Courtney took great care of us at the Pub (ask for their rainbow shots!). Terrence, Brian, and Jeffrey were awesome on our first time snorkeling (go early in the day so it's calmer), kayaking, and even took the time to teach us about the native sea grapes on the beach. :) Omar at Regency and Ivan at Eleanor's were INCREDIBLE servers...really they all are, but their names I remembered specifically for their humor and warm smiles. The entertainment team is awesome: props to Chicco (sp?), Storm, Dora, Hollywood, and Richie. We hung out at the piano bar for some "freestylin'", participated in beach volleyball and pool volleyball, the Mr. Pub competition, as well as all of the nightly entertainment events (don't miss the newlywed game or the silver drum band!). And after a long day on the beach drinking Jamaican smiles we ended up at the Mariner where Andrea finished off our night with some jerk chicken or a jerk burger! Plenty of restaurant options (we didn't even get to them all...Regency was our favorite.). From the gardening staff (who do an amazing job), to maintenance, to Tracy-Ann and Nicola running around the beach bringing people drinks this place is full of incredibly friendly staff. I have never been to a resort where I remember so many staff people's names and faces...but here, the staff remembers you too! We already booked our next trip back. Thank you Sandals Royal for the amazing week!

3  Thank Emily W
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was, hands down, the best Sandals experience we've had so far. We chose this property for our 20th anniversary, and I can't wait to go back. I just can't say enough about how pleasant everyone was from the general manager on down. Everyone greeted us warmly and genuinely. I felt as if we were welcome and important, and yet left alone to a perfect degree. No hovering, but no waiting.

We decided to go with Butler service on this trip, and they were fantastic! Curtis and Phillips clearly outdid themselves for us. Every day we had either a surprise in our room or an afternoon snack- little touches to make sure everything was wonderful. We aren't as high maintenance as some, and maybe the butler was underused, but I have to admit it was nice to be able to get in to restaurants when we wanted. They made sure our beach chairs were reserved everyday with a cooler of our favorite drinks.

We originally booked a Royal Honeymoon Oceanview Crystal lagoon suite and were upgraded to a Grande Romeo and Juliet Honeymoon Suite with Private Stairway. This may sound simple, but the couch on the balcony was just the best! Winding down at night with a cocktail and listening to the music and the frogs was so relaxing. That is what MY vacation was all about, and I can't imagine a better experience. A real dream come true. The grounds are gorgeous and very well-kept. I love how the resort is set up-not cramped and on top of one another. Gardens separate the buildings, so you feel like you are truly in a tropical oasis.

For restaurants, if you go away hungry, it's your own fault. Everything we had was exceptional.

I'm sure many people have a certain idea of 5 star dining and lodging, and if you choose to find faults, you will indeed find them. But if cracked plaster is enough to ruin your vacation, then you probably won't be happy anywhere. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy!! You won't be disappointed in this resort!! I can't wait to go back and am already planning my next escape!!

Room Tip: We like 2nd floor rooms, as there are walkways in front of the 1st floor rooms. This way, you don...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple