and 1 more site!
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed February 19, 2013

On many occasions you had such a good holiday at a place that it is often a mistake to return, in case it isn't as good as last time. Sandals Royal Caribbean is one of those places where this does not hold true and it was a delight to return. Yes there were changes and some people we knew had moved on but generally there were still a lot of staff there with whom we had made friends and we build on those friendships over the stay. There are too many people who made our holiday so fantastic to say thank you to so sorry if we miss some out.
The overall resort appearance is very pleasing with pristine grounds and walkways, yes we know maintenance has to be done and where any work was being carried out it was with minimal fuss or bother. The beaches are hand raked at least twice a day and the gardeners are always making things just so and delighted to talk about the beautiful flowers in the gardens and borders.
There are now three fire pits around the resort and a new pizza oven, there are also new spa facilities on the island so that if you just can't manage to drag yourself away from the island then they will attend to you there.
A huge thank you to the chefs, Exec Michael and Exec Sous Juan whose team did fantastic work, they are only too pleased to talk to us and answer any concerns or questions that we had. Speak to them early about allergies, I have one and they were able to do some special dishes without the problem ingredients, the only problem was one tasted so much better than the original according to my wife - mine!! We are looking forward to some hot wings next time we return, but not the extreme ones, my friend is hoping for. Ricardo on the egg counter and Sean at the pizza oven were always smiling and offering something new to try.
The bar staff, Albert, Sasha, Kevin, Adrian to name but a few are always smiling and happy to talk. The restaurant staff Garfield, Janice, Rochelle, Matthew, Shelly and many others are special, many thanks for looking after us. Duane looked after us well and truly when we hired out one of the Island cabanas for the afternoon.
The water sports team especially the dive team are the tops. We spend most of our holiday diving so returning to the same old sites gets pretty boring. They make sure every day is a new adventure and a whole lot of fun. No they don't make too much fun of you if you forget your weights / mask / camera etc but likewise are very helpful to pass any forgotten items. We took a couple of courses this year including Advanced Open water and Rescue as well as a couple of specialities and thoroughly enjoyed it, hard work but very satisfying. They have a new manager but the core team has remained and they are all a whole lot of fun.
We stayed in the Sandringham block, one of the older blocks, which is in a wonderful position where you can look out over the beach and sea from the covered balcony. We don't spend much time in the room but it was comfortable and I got probably the best night's sleep while away on this bed. The only down side and this is being picky was the bath room which is now dated and the decor tired. We did have a couple of minor maintenance issues and these once reported were very quickly fixed, once while we were out at diner. We had two days of inclement weather the first we had already arranged a trip to YS Falls - Fantastic, and the other was just a shower in the morning.
Sandals want you to enjoy your holiday and if you have any worries, concerns or issues talk to the resort staff then and there. They can't sort it out when you get home but can do their damndest to get it right while you are there. Some friends of ours had a problem with their shower and they were moved to a new room.
I had the misfortune to require some medical attention towards the end of our trip for an ear infection, and it was with some trepidation that I went to the nurses' station. She quickly reasoned that needed to see a doctor and I thought that it would be a day wasted to visit either an emergency room or doctors office. She told me that the doctor would visit the resort and would be with me in about 15 minutes, yes I did need some medication but that was readily available. The cost wasn't too eye watering, they take payment via credit card and by the time I had got back to the room I had a phone call to say the doctor was on site. My ear may have hurt but the experience was quite painless.
We don't usually bother about the entertainment as that isn't our thing, so won't comment on that. We generally enjoy the dining a few glasses of wine and the company of our friends.
We are looking forward to returning here in a couple of years as there are some other places we want to try. But return we will and we will be looking forward to seeing what other improvements have been made. A very big thank you to Mr Grant and his team for another wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Book your off site resurants early to avoid dissapointment
4  Thank Simon T
Write a ReviewReviews (5,773)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have just returned today after 10 days at Royal Caribbean. We had a fabulous time and cannot praise the hotel and staff highly enough. Service was excellent in all aspects and the staff were extremely obliging and friendly. Special mention must go to Kevin in the Cricketers , Lionel in La Jardinaire, plus Rodane in the piano bar. All three gentlemen had a fabulous sense of humour and really went out of their way to ensure fabulous service.
A trip river-rafting down the Martha Bray river is a must - so relaxing and the day trip to Negril with Dalton is good fun.

Our second holiday with Sandals and it certainly won't be our last.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mac25186525
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're so thrilled to see that you had a wonderful and exciting experience with us. Kevin, Lionel and Rodane will all be so happy to hear of your kind mention.

We can't wait to welcome you back for an even better stay in the near future!

Cassie C.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Firstly can I say that I have NEVER been anywhere where the staff have been SO wonderful. We arrived after a long flight and were ushered into a cool bar straight away for a cocktail, our cases were taken off us and then we set off for the hotel which was only about 15 mins from airport. Once we got to the hotel we were sat in lovely comfy chairs and another cocktail whilst our check in was done. Our rooms were AMAZING just a tiny bit away from the beautiful beach. The hotel itself is fantastic - the food is wonderful - there are many restaurants to choose from (but you have to book). You can also eat at the other two sandals resorts nearby (which, incidently were not a patch on our hotel - far too big and staff not as friendly) We went snorkelling almost daily which was free and can I say how great the guys were that took us out - Velentine and Rajev were amazing with me as our group did the advanced snorkelling and I couldn't get it but they persevered and I made it at last ! They went above and beyond their job description I am sure. Also Davian had the loveliest smile I have ever seen and he was so friendly. The bar staff were brill in the cricketers - Courtney, Dwayne, Kevin and Dominique and had us laughing all night. Entertainment was great - Hollywood, chico and Kara and not forgetting Odean at the mariners bar with the biggest smile - I can't wait to go back next year !! Would TOTALLY recommend it - One of my best holidays to date ! The island was was an extra treat and was lovely also - we had my husbands birthday there also and they bought him a cake and made a fuss of us - we had the dining on the beach with a butler - awesome - Thanks to all staff for making a great holiday for us - Keep it up - see you next year...... :)

3  Thank kathynics
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We purchased a WeddingMoon at Sandals Royal Caribbean and we want to express how awestruck we were with the fabulous service from the ENTIRE staff at the Royal Caribbean Resort and the Cucina Romano at Montego Bay. Phillips and Curtis were our butlers for the week and completely went out of their way to treat us like ROYALTY! Both butlers were professional yet fun, prompt and friendly, and catered to our every desire. The wait staff at every restaurant was polite, well-trained, and attentive and deserve high praise for their services. We want to point out Romaine, our waiter at Cucina Romano (Montego Bay), who was in training, and yet was so knowledgeable and professional! Nickel, of the Red Lane Spa, was my husband’s massage therapist and was my hair stylist, nail technician, and bridal attendant. Not only did she do all of my spa work for the wedding, she also helped me dress in my wedding attire. She was absolutely fabulous and did a fantastic job on my hair, makeup, and nails. Renee, our on-site wedding coordinator, is the best wedding coordinator I have ever met. She made every detail of the wedding perfect and nothing went wrong on the big day! Karim, the photographer, took the most impressive pictures and was able to capture all of the perfect moments of our wedding. Tremaine was in charge of tending to the beach. He was continuously perfecting the area around our cabana and even brought me a beautiful shell from an ocean dive! My husband and I are ecstatic about our WeddingMoon at Sandals Royal Caribbean and highly recommend it for a wedding, honeymoon, and vacation destination.

Room Tip: Butler Suites are the only way to travel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miriah B

We're so happy to read that you had such a wonderful WeddingMoon with us at Sandals Royal Caribbean. I know that this was a very special occasion in your lives and we're honored to have had the chance to share it with you. We strive to create romantic and memorable experiences for our guests and I'm so glad we were able to achieve that goal during your stay.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back next year for an anniversary to remember!

Cassie C.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our very first big vacation and our very first trip to this hotel. We are complete happy with our trip. The staff was fantastic, friendly and professional! Every dinner was great, all the gardens are just gorgeous and we were treated like a King and Queen! We had butler service which was phenomenal, Jason and Khalil! The Spa service was awesome and the property in wonderful condition. Our room was just perfect for us!! We will definitely visit again!

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My experience at Sandals was outstanding. The resort staff made me want to come back soon. I grew very fond of certain staff members and I have to tell everyone when you go to this resort you must and repeat must seek out these staff members and your stay will be as delightful as mine.

The Butler Staff
Hector and Sherry Ann "The Butler" they were amazing.

The Main Bar
Courtney
Rodane
Andre
These guys are awesome

Pool bar
Corey
Dominique

And the bar could not be replenished without Kevin doing his job or ordering after we all are tucked away.

Very entertaining and I couldn't forget Albert and Verna

Servers and wait staff
Terrance
Nicola-very pleasant smile has such a great way of making you feel welcome.

Maria-server from my private dinner lovely

Kevin "Big Bird"--YEAAHH
This guy is talented when you go you will see what I mean.

Entertainment
ChiKO
Hollywood
The crazy dynamic duo.

Nicole-cabana girl Thank you
Very sweet

Keron-massage
He did an excellent job my has not stop talking about him. Much respect man.

Kimesha did my massage awesome hands
Andrea-cook

VELENTIE-watersports
This young guy was everywhere with a smile

Bell service
Omar

This was my dream vacation and these guys are winning combination. When you book your trip request the services of these people you will no be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Solomon1972
Reviewed February 17, 2013

No kids! Awesome service! Small boutique hotel feel due to great layout. Beautiful views. Our room overlooked a small quiet beach and pool. There were many semi private locations in fact. We were very impressed!

• Stayed: February 2013