“Fantastic Service & Vaca Location”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Dunnellon, Florida
“Fantastic Service & Vaca Location”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at Sandals RC Oct 19-26 2012. From arrival to departure, Sandals staff is friendly, relaxed and happy to meet your every need, even during Hurricaine Sandy they didn't miss a beat. If you can't find something good to eat here, it's your own fault. try some of the local foods. Food was excellent. Chef Juan met me at check-in to discuss my special dietary needs and made available sugar free desserts. We ordered all types of drinks including top shelf liquors with no problem.The staff is incredible from maintenance, housekeeping, hostess, managers, servers, bartenders and front desk staff. We were never told "no" to any request, even if it wasn't on the menu. The entertainment was great. The resort was clean and organized and under constant care. You just bring your cloths and relax. We went snorkeling and attended a scuba diving class in a pool before diving in the ocean. Instruction is excellent and fun. My husband and friend went deep sea fishing and caught a Mahi Mahi. Chef Juan specially prepared it the next day for us to have with lunch. We were charged nothing additional for this service.I did experience some mesquitos but I brought Avon Skin So Soft insect repellent which does not smell like bug spray and I had no problem. The beach was clean and beautiful. I felt like a special guest there but I am sure everyone is treated the same. We plan to make Sandals our priority vacation destination. You have to try the Jamaica resorts!

Room Tip: If you are not interested in a "view", most of the rooms seem similar in design and are lo...
2 Thank mmoosman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
  • Greek first
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at Sandals RC for a week. We had great entertainment every night - without even leaving the resort. Everyone was gracious, friendly and eager to ensure we had everything we needed. Hurricaine Sandy hit in the middle of our vacation and we were expecting all the fun would be over. But the staff did a lot of great preparation to keep us all safe and informed. I am not sure how they did it, but the entertainment, great food and even the spa services were available the entire week. We spoke to some staff and discovered that they had simply stayed at the resort (separated from their families during the storm!) in order to keep things running! Special thanks to the General Manager, our favorite server - Odane, Landon who never seemed to stop working, Robin at the gym, and the very friendly and talented barkeeper on the private island whose name escapes us! The chef did an amazing job of keeping the buffet menu in the main restaurant interesting, tasty and full of variety. The resort exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: We like oceanfront, on the second floor. Great view and good for people watching
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The staff at Sandals were there to make your vacation a great experience and were so willing to serve you. Food was fantastic an there were lots of restaurant choices so everyone should find something they like. The Thai Restaurant on the private Island was our favorite. You could shuttle to the Montego Bay resort and use the facilities and restaurants to give you even more choices. Entertainment staff was always working and kept things going. We would return without any hesitation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the pool view and our room faced one of the pools. It was like having an almost private...
1 Thank Cherry W
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 26, 2012

First, let me begin by saying we are very experienced travelers and have been to Europe, Mexico, on several cruises and all around the Carribean. We have vacationed at several Sandals Properties over the past 20 years including all of the Beaches Resorts. SRC exceeded our expectations in every way. There are so many positive things to say about this resort, that I don't even know where to begin.
We booked a semi-private pool room by the south pool and found these rooms to be a diamond in the rough....best kept secret on the resort. We were offered an upgrade and declined as we loved this block of rooms. Beautiful pool shared by only 10 other rooms, hot tub, great lounge chairs, towels and bar service during the afternoon. Room is excatly as pictured on the web site.
The shower is a shower, tub combo which was fine for us but if you are older and have hip or leg problems, this would not be for you as it is a deep tub to get into. There are several peacocks on the resort and every morning one was by our pool. If you choose to feed them as I did, they will be there every morning waiting for you. I loved it, We ask our maid for all water in our fridge instead of soda or juice and our request was always granted .
'
The Watersport Staff was some of the best we have ever encountered. Helpful, friendly and very knowledgeable in teaching. Thank you Jermaine, Cion and Stephan for making our week so enjoyable.

The Entertainment Staff are what makes this resort so special. They are all amazing, hardworking and super talented. Chico,Richard, Hollywood and Theo you made us laugh every day and every night.Norda, thanks for all the lovely chats and Mel, you are so talented!! Take the time to get to know this incredible group of people and you will leave with memories and freinds that will last a lifetime.

The bartenders were wonderful. Never had a weak drink all week. Thanks Kevin and Sasha for always remembering what we like to drink and having it ready before we even had to ask.
Kirkland at the pool bar makes the BEST Dirty Bananas ever!

If you like to work out...get to know the fitness pro, Robin. He teaches aquasize everyday in the main pool and it is a much better workout than you would think by just observing. In the morning he has a Beach Ab class and a stretch class.....you meet at the gym then so down to the beach for the workout.....super cool and only 30 minutes. One day a week he has a cardio boxing class. It is 60 minutes and is a real killer. I had been doing P90X for monthsbefore the trip and all I can say is Tony Horton, move over, Robin's work out ROCKS. Gym is never busy and has bikes, weights and treadmills.

Did not use the Spa this time but heard great things from those who did. We are from Chicago so the prices are what we pay here. You can book on line before you go which is a good idea as somedays there are several weddings and you may have trouble getting in if you want.

We had good food all week. If you don't like something, just ask for something else, no problem.
Do not miss the chocolate buffet...amazing.
We have certainly been to more elegant, posh resorts but never one this much fun and with a staff that was so incredible. We are celebrating out 30 year anniversary next May and can choose to go anywhere....We are planning to go back to SRC.

Thank you to everyone who make our week so special. we can't wait to come back soon and see you again!!

3 Thank Cathy F
wilmington, nc
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was our first visit to a Sandal's Resort and what a trip it was. Having lived aboard a 50 foot ‘blue water’ sloop in the Caribbean and the Pacific for two years and seen the most beautiful parts of all four oceans, numerous seas and their wonderfully idyllic islands, I felt comfortable thinking we would never need or want to pay a premium for a hotel ‘room and bed,’ let alone a regimented and somewhat limited dining program. How wrong I was!

While we took this holiday a year ago to the day in October 2011, we were reminiscing today on our many wonderful memories. Moreover, having visited other Sandals subsequently, including returning to this very Resort and exact same room less than two months later, in December 2011, I felt compelled to share my sentiments about this particular Sandals now.

My wife had always dreamed about being waited on "hand and foot" in a hotel and after hearing her brother's many tales of large beautifully decorated rooms with four poster mahogany beds, lush sofas on the balcony, a Jacuzzi ‘with a view’, a private swimming pool and a "BUTLER"... any argument I could have put forward about wasting money or not getting what you paid for would have fallen on deaf ears. She was hooked, and so apparently was I! And little did I know that we would have one of the most elegant and enjoyable vacations in our lifetime of traveling the world.

The most important thing to know before I add anything new or relevant to the many other reviews of this property is that we managed, and I'm still not sure how, to get an $850 per night/per person room for a week that was absolutely stunning and included all the features that her brother had alluded to earlier, including Butler, for $380 per person...and not once, but twice. Therefore, I have a somewhat distorted view of Sandal’s value having enjoyed two $12,000 week-long vacations for about $4,500 each.

I could easily add both positive and negative comments, some that have been shared by others, but that would be far too cynical of me given the price we paid and the very unique experience we enjoyed at the SRC.

The Sandal’s staff from airport pick-up to check-in could not have been more attentive, accommodating, and willing had I promised them each a $500 tip at the end of our stay. Everything happened like clockwork just as it is supposed to when one is staying in a high-end Resort Hotel anywhere in the world.

I won’t dwell too much on the 2nd floor room (#21 Grand Romeo & Juliet Honeymoon Suite with Private Stairway to Crystal Lagoon) other than to say it was one of the most luxurious and comfortable rooms I have ever stayed in--from San Francisco to Cape Town--especially given the location and world-class view of lush tropical Palms, multi-hued bougainvillea, giant Heleconia…and the Caribbean Sea. It was a complete “Swiss Family Robinson-like” ambience, but then our appointed Butler turned what would have been an unbeatable holiday into the most sensual and somewhat hedonistic experience anyone could possibly ask for, let alone imagine in the 21st century.

I’ll let your imagination take over at this juncture, but just imagine yourself in the Jamaica’s of the 1800’s with a young, tall, handsome Jamaican man at your beck and cal--it was right out of a romance novel with all the mixed signals and expectations you would expect of two east coast liberals uncertain how to communicate within this ‘Master–Servant’ relationship.

We finally figured this out and agreed that we really did not need our baths drawn at night or to be awoken with hot coffee and croissant served in bed, although he was more than willing to accommodate our every wish. We both speculated how far to let our imaginations run wild with this scenario, and saw no reason not to…especially when we arrived back from one of our marvelous evening meals and nightcaps at the piano bar to find a piping hot Jacuzzi bubbling, lit candles throughout the room and a trail of freshly pulled red rose petals starting at our front door leading to the bath, and then onwards to the rose-petal covered turned-down king bed…and it wasn’t even our anniversary, let alone a special date…just wonderful service above and beyond imagination.

We sampled each of the restaurants and particularly enjoyed the French and Island cuisine and the always consistently good Renaissance Room. And the Euro-American styled breakfast buffet was a great way to start the perfect day (and the great weather we enjoyed our entire stay) and it never disappointed us, with fresh fruit, juices, great coffee, eggs, bacon and sausage as you like them, all while dining al fresco with the Caribbean sea lapping underneath your feet…it was beyond any of our mutual expectations at this point in time. However, there was more to come…

You see, my wife and I are inveterate scuba divers, and while we have dived all over the Caribbean from our boat, we had never truly experienced a “Resort” Diving program. Therefore, when we realized that we had a Five Star PADI Dive Center on site with all the equipment we needed and a great dive boat, we immediately booked as many dives as we could squeeze in when we were not zip lining the mountain forest canopy or wandering the North Jamaican coastline...and here is where the real magic began.

Although the resort was almost full, there was only one other diver in the entire hotel and he was a wonderfully talented French Canadian who liked to “free dive,” amongst other feats of physical prowess. And it was here that we met Paul Dunn or “Diesel” as his friends know him. If you are an advanced diver, you know what I am talking about when you meet a true ‘Master’ Diver, one who has managed to attain that near perfect state of existence both above and below the water—that perfect balance of breathing and moving through air or water in exactly the same way, easily, with little effort and always enjoying what is going on around them. Diesel’s diving is like watching ballet under water—almost Zen-like.

So for the next five days, we had a Master Diver, the boat and all the facilities of the PADI dive center available to just us. Other than one snorkel excursion that interfered with a planned afternoon dive, Diesel was able to take my wife and I, and sometimes the French Canadian, to all the best dive sites on the north shore of Jamaica, some even beyond the Resorts normal range. And while the diving in north Jamaica is just good, not great, not having a reef you are diving filled with other divers greatly enhances the dive experience of even the most mundane sites, and it is amazing what you can see and feel when you’re not bumping into other divers. It was a memory that I will cherish for a long time.

And that is why we chose to go back to Sandals Royal Caribbean a second time, less than two months later. When we arrived, it was like we had never been away…as if we just took up where we had left off previously…same room, same wonderful Butler, same wonderful food, and the same wonderful dive opportunities—and with Diesel, again! It could not get any better than that.

Would we go back again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: If you can afford them, or get upgraded, the Romeo & Juliet Honeymoon rooms with stairs are the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harbormaster999
Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Ok , I really need to thank all at the RC More Bay for a great time. Especially Chico, party man. We were created with a big smile from the time we woke up to the time we went to bed. His dedication is legendary. Thanks Chico for the good times.

• Stayed May 2012
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at this Sandals two weeks ago while while on business. The staff was fabulous in true Sandals style! O'Brian, the sales manager went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable. Upon arrival, my butler Orlando took care of my private check-in to a fabulous room, but after noticing availability, I received an amazing upgrade to the Romeo and Juliet Suite! These newly established suites are amazing!

The entertainment staff members were crazy fun and Chico and DJ CD kept us entertained long after their time was "up." The waitstaff did an exceptional job as well and I can not say enough about my Butler, Orlando. He certainly wowed me, just like you expect butlers to do.

This resort is truly beautiful. My room was right on the lagoon pool and I loved this area...quiet and peaceful floating in a garden setting. Then, for more activity and entertainment, the main pool met those needs.

I must go back soon! And, no doubt, I will ask for Orlando again!

Room Tip: Rooms by the Crystal Lagoon are my favorite and GET A BUTLER! You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business