“Chico the party man”

Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
“Chico the party man”
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Ok , I really need to thank all at the RC More Bay for a great time. Especially Chico, party man. We were created with a big smile from the time we woke up to the time we went to bed. His dedication is legendary. Thanks Chico for the good times.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,381)
  • Greek first
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at this Sandals two weeks ago while while on business. The staff was fabulous in true Sandals style! O'Brian, the sales manager went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable. Upon arrival, my butler Orlando took care of my private check-in to a fabulous room, but after noticing availability, I received an amazing upgrade to the Romeo and Juliet Suite! These newly established suites are amazing!

The entertainment staff members were crazy fun and Chico and DJ CD kept us entertained long after their time was "up." The waitstaff did an exceptional job as well and I can not say enough about my Butler, Orlando. He certainly wowed me, just like you expect butlers to do.

This resort is truly beautiful. My room was right on the lagoon pool and I loved this area...quiet and peaceful floating in a garden setting. Then, for more activity and entertainment, the main pool met those needs.

I must go back soon! And, no doubt, I will ask for Orlando again!

Room Tip: Rooms by the Crystal Lagoon are my favorite and GET A BUTLER! You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Melissa B
Portland, Maine
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I’ve vacationed at many all-inclusive resorts and have taken into consideration the star rating and cost when comparing them with Sandals. With the exception of one, and it was only a three star, this has been the only other that has not met or exceeded my expectations. In my opinion, Sandals is very overrated and overpriced. For those young inexperienced travelers with nothing to compare it too, it may seem like paradise, but once they have something to compare it to they will change their minds quickly. As for the travel agents, Sandals does give them the premium rooms and royal treatment so their ratings are most likely appropriate.

I booked and paid for an oceanfront room with concierge service and was placed in a room with a view of the trees. At other resorts I have been given an upgraded room without asking for it but never have I been assigned to a downgraded room. There is no door on the bathroom or shower so if you want to shower or change your cloths, don’t forget to put the security bar across the door. Upon entering the room you look directly into a double opening to the bathroom with no means of privacy. We didn’t even have a “do not disturb” sign.

Be aware of the spa products in your room, if you use them you get charged for them. We had a half full lip balm in our room when we booked in and had to bring it to their attention so we wouldn’t be charged for it. They said the prices for the products are in the room, we never saw any prices and never used any of the products.

Although they say you have room service 24/7, if you’re an early riser they don’t answer the phone. If you wait until after 7:00 am, they answer the phone but it takes 45 minutes to get a cold breakfast delivered. Another guest said they had breakfast menus in their room and could make selections and leave it on the door the evening before. We didn’t have any of these but were told they got the same late delivery and cold food so we didn’t bother asking for them.

Some of the food was excellent; however we did have some very bad (most likely spoiled) food that was not what you would expect from a five star resort. They do offer some top shelf liquor if you pay for it. The Regency restaurant has bottles of Appleton Rum and fine wine starting at $45.00 per bottle but other five star resorts offer this at no extra charge. Although the resort was only about 50% booked, it was difficult to get a dinner reservation. One of the two dinner reservations that we did have got “lost” by concierge so be sure to ask for a reservation card when making one.

Our package included a $100 spa credit but the spa prices were so extravagant that we didn’t use it. When you arrive, you have to give them an imprint of your credit card. When you check out you realize everything that they charged you for, including local calls to other Sandals resorts and “service charges” on everything you’ve purchased on the resort.

The bar and fridge in our room was stocked but most of the products were nothing we drink. We did have two bottles of soda water and although leaving a note asking for more, we never received them.

Our room was cooler than outside, but too warm to be comfortable, even with the ceiling fan and air conditioner running 24/7. Sandals does have air conditioning in two of the restaurants but for some reason they choose to shut it off most of the time. This makes eating dinner very unpleasant because you have to continually use your napkin to wipe the sweat off your face. They should consider serving a cool damp towel with dinner and offer a little ice to put in it.

The pools were much smaller and shallower than any resort we have stayed at. They are not for swimming in, but you can get cooled off in them if you scoot down. The ocean swimming area is also very shallow and small. They have ropes up to keep you safe from the speeding jet skis that fly by. The beach has no sand, just hard crushed shells and is very small. As far as the noise from planes, it’s exactly what you should expect when located near a busy airport.

For those getting married, you’re just another number. Sandals told us they have done as many as eleven weddings in one day. If you are there for the purpose of a wedding, the prices for your spa, hair, pictures, beach dinner, etc. are all above the regular prices for the same services that other guests pay. Beware of buying anything off a Sandals wedding registry. They charge an additional 10%, even for gift cards for resort credit, and then don’t let the bride and groom use it while there. When the bride and groom check out, they get a nice surprise; Sandals charges their credit card for everything that had been bought for them on the wedding registry. You have to dispute the charges with your credit card company! This is a scam!

The staff that you see every day are exactly what we expect from the Caribbean; the courteous, friendly, accommodating, tip deserving, locals. The front desk and management, are rude, unhappy, people that let you know they already have your money and don’t care about your problems, you can just leave it you don’t like it. Bottom line, if we were at a three star resort with an entry level room and paid half of what we paid, it would have been closer to what we expected. This was our first and last Sandals experience.

9 Thank MissyandBuster
NC
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I went down for her sister's wedding and it was our first trip out of the country other than a cruise that stopped in Mexico briefly two years ago. It was all that we could ask for plus some. The breakfast in the Regency was great. The nightly entertainment was a blast in much part to Ladon, who was the center of attention everywhere we looked. Linval at the swim-up pool bar was fun to talk with and Domique at the piano bar was very fun as well. Sasha fixed the best bloody mary's and really made my wife enjoy her time in the piano bar. We left right before Hurricane Sandy came but were worried because the couple who's wedding we were at were spending their honeymoon still. We received word tonight that the resort made them feel safe and there were absolutely no issues (other than a postponed flight). GREAT EXPERIENCE and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gopack85
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We just got home from our trip! We had the BEST time .... everyone at the resort was super nice and friendly. They bent over backwards to make sure any requests or desires were met. We stayed in a beachfront room (room #6103) it was PERFECT for us. The room was nice but the patio and view/location was the absolute BEST! Our wedding turned out to be the best part of the trip, I had some wonderful people working to make sure it was exactly how we wanted it. The BEST part was the surprise of my mother and grandpa showing up to be there for our special day. TEARS ... it was AMAZING! Big shout out to Marcinne Parris and Lea-Nadege Barrett (wedding consultants/wedding managers), also to our favorite bartenders Courtney and Cleveland. Great photographers as well. I CAN'T wait to book another vacation with Tanya Byers - she helped make my trip and wedding unbelievable. If you enjoy soaking up rays and enjoying life this is the place to book!

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I just returned from an 8 day stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. It was our first stay at a Sandals resort and we absolutely loved it! We went to the resort as a special 10th Anniversary trip, and the resort staff, our travel agent, and everyone we encountered made it a truly special trip for us. Our travel agent, Ruth DeMuth with Trip Guy Travel went above and beyond for us. She helped me select the right room level for our needs (we stayed in a Royal Honeymoon Luxury Beachfront Concierge Room in the Kensington building). The room was beautiful, with a well stocked bar and fridge, a wonderful jacuzzi tub, and a very comfortable bed. Yes, there is construction going on in the Kensington block and yes, the doors to the rooms under construction are left open. This in no way bothered us. We walked past those rooms regularly and found the crew working on the rooms to be very friendly and helpful, even when we were walking right through their "work zone"! There are cats and birds and peacocks roaming the property, but again, we didn't find this to be a problem or inconvenient in any way. The cats do like to go after the room service tray when you leave it out to be picked up, so be prepared for that. I am addressing these things specifically because of other recent reviews, but please note, these factors were such a non-issue for us that I wouldn't have even thought to comment on them had I not seen the other reviews. We thought the location and room quality were fantastic! The best part about these rooms are that they are on the far end of the resort and so you end up having a "private" beach, pool, and hot tub for those staying in the Kensington building. That was amazing! Much quieter than the main beach, this was a truly peaceful, relaxing spot at the resort.
Because this was our 10th anniversary, I surprised my husband with a vow renewal ceremony. I was totally impressed with the planners who helped me, both our offsite planner Shadena, and our on-site planner Marcinne. They went out of their way to make our day special and to keep it a surprise right up until my husband and I left for Jamaica. Marcinne dealt with every request we had and made the planning easy and enjoyable. Despite the fact that this was their "beautiful beginnings" vow renewal - the "no frills" level - we were treated like royalty! Our photographer, the incomparable Levor, also was outstanding! I love the pictures he took and he was so much fun to hang out with! Every time we saw him on the resort after our ceremony, he made a point to come speak to us. He was truly, truly wonderful!
The food at the resort was excellent, especially at the Royal Thai and Le Jardinier! The concierge staff were extremely helpful, especially Nicholas, who was awesome to us from check-in to check-out. While this was our first stay at SRC, I am certain it won't be our last. This was the most amazing, romantic trip we have ever taken!

7 Thank wonderplanned
Bluffton, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

First experience with Sandals and it was great!! My husband and I spent five days at Royal Caribbean and we were sad to leave! The room, food, and entertainment were unforgettable. We ate more on this vacation then we ever have and not one bad meal. The room was clean. The drinks were great and they kept them coming with anything you would like. We loved it and booked next year at St. Lucia for our one year anniversary.

4 Thank Kara B