“Our Faith in Sandals is Restored”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Kanata, Canada
“Our Faith in Sandals is Restored”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

My husband and I stay at SRC from Oct 20th-27th to celebrate our first anniversary/make up honeymoon. We had received a credit towards a vacation after a disaster honeymoon at another Sandals location. This was our fourth Sandals and the last chance for our continued business and all I can say is that SRC was everything our honeymoon should have been.

We booked a Honeymoon Lagoon Suite Extraordinaire and stayed in room #26. The room was beautiful, modern, spacious and SPOTLESS. We had butler service and our butlers were Ellis and Hughill. These two were amazing and took such good care of us from coolers and chairs on the beach to afternoon snacks and arranging our day and pouring relaxing romantic baths after an exhausting day sitting on the beach.:-)

The resort is small and quaint which we really enjoy because we are going on vacation to relax. Every night there was some form of entertainment with mostly local talent which we enjoyed very much. If you are looking for night life and a party atmosphere this is probably not the resort for you although there is always those couple of people that are the life of the party and make for some interesting antics. Make sure to check out the Island they had a DJ on the beach and a party there one night and it was fun.

The food I would not rate as 5 star dining but I would not say the food was terrible. We are not food snobs though. Breakfast was always awesome.

The staff is amazing at SRC. We only came across one grumpy bartender who worked in the evening. Although everyone was great there are a few who we felt went above and beyond. Of course Ellis and Hughill...Michael (smiley face) for all the special breakfast requests and Jagen at the beach bar and all the shots that put us to bed early our first night.

Room Tip: The rooms over the lagoon (#26) are nice but because of the way the buildings are situated there is...
3 Thank bltravellers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
  • Greek first
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I wouldn't normally write to others about a trip I took, but, after our experience at this Sandals Resort, I feel compelled to do so. We were looking forward to our week stay at this resort since it was our one vacation this year, we needed some time to relax and un-wind! Sadly, we didn't have much time for that due to the nearly constant, from 10am to 4:30 pm, jack hammering and sledge hammering. They booked us into a room next to a construction/renovation project!

We originally booked a room next to the water with an ocean view. When we arrived, they told us they were upgrading us into a nicer room due to construction going on in the building we had reserved. The room they moved us to had no view (except of a tree) and had no seating area which we also requested. So, we asked to be moved. They said all rooms were booked and that moving was not an option. The next day, they said they found a room with an ocean view back at the original building they moved us away from to begin with. They assured us the constrruction project had been delayed until after our stay, we were momentarily happy. They moved us into that room. Well, that room had a toilet that didn't work and leaked into the room. So, they moved us into the room next door.....no problem, it had an ocean view. Then, the next morning the jackhammering and sledgehammering started and continued through the balance of our trip. Management did not offer any resolution to our problem other than to offer us two free days on our next trip to Sandals Royal Carribean. Needless to say, there won't be a next trip.

We did all we could to work with management, but, they failed to make this right with us and I want to warn all of you out there about this resort. The butlers were great and tried all they could to help us throughour ordeal, but, it was out of their hands. I would not recommend this resort to anyone as you may get the run-around if something goes wrong. Also, all the planes leaving the island take off directly over this resort at frequest intervals! And, the mosquitos are reallly thick!

Room Tip: Coose a different resort in Jamaica
2 Thank Rich B
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My husband and I are in our mid fifties. We were happy to see many couples our age and older at the resort.

We had a Royal Premium room in the Arundel Building overlooking the South Pool. We loved the location and used the South Pool frequently. There were never more than two people in that pool when we used it, which was great. Our only complaint about our room was that there was no where to sit except on one straight-backed chair or on the bed, which I could have used a step stool to get up on.

Lots of reviews rave about the pleasure of having a butler, but we rather enjoyed taking care of ourselves. Do note that guests with butlers get preferential service, but there were only two times when we felt ignored. When we checked in, we were left in the lobby to wait while other guests were led off to some other place for, I presume, champagne and private orientation tours. And one time at the pool bar, guests on a tour with their butler stepped in front of us to get their drinks first.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The resort is compact and very well laid out, with lots of places to sit and enjoy the ambiance. The beach is small, but we really appreciated the calmness of the water for swimming.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fromKS
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was the 4th time my husband and I have stayed at a Sandals resort, and SRC did not disappoint. The customer service is always a highlight when staying at Sandals (with the exception of a bad experience we had at the Sandals Royal Bahamian in 2010). The employees we encountered were consistently friendly and helpful. The resort overall was beautifully clean and well maintained. It is one of their smaller resorts and we enjoyed the fact that it was not overly crowded at any particular time. We were always able to find chairs at the pool and on the beach. We especially enjoyed taking advantage of spending time on the private island. Our only negative comment would be related to the food. Overall it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exactly amazing either. We also have noticed that the Sandals resorts no longer have Appleton rum, which was a little disappointing being it is local to Jamaica and we really enjoyed it when we have stayed at Sandals in the past. We did enjoy the Thai restaurant meal that we had on our last night. That was probably our favorite dinner (food-wise and location being on the island). We also enjoyed taking advantage of the concierge-level room service for breakfast two mornings. We ordered a number of different items and they delivered on everything we requested. Overall, it was an enjoyable trip and we definitely plan to return back to Jamaica again at one of the many Sandals resorts.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kmeyer0510
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This resort was amazing! from the people, food, beaches, service, entertainment, rooms, pools, it was all top knotch. The service was excellent. The people are truly mindreaders there, you harldy ever have to even ask for anything they just know what you need before you ask.Everyone learns your name right away and they make you feel so special! The resort itself was beautiful and very clean. Our room was always cleaned and had turn down service. The atmosphere is very relaxing but also very fun. This is a very romantic resort where you can truly relax and let loose depending on your mood. The details were beautiful from the mahogoney wooden furniture and fans, to the emmaculectly kept gardens. The beach itself is small, but dont let that deter you because there is a private island with a large beach. The private Island housed a pool, hot tub, obviously a bar, a natural beach ( don't be scared most choose to stay clothed), and A Tai restauraunt. The island is the best place to snorkle, you will see tons of tropical fish, we saw blow fish even over here. We were there for a whole week and only 2 people got very minor jelly fish stings. The beach at the resort itself is small but very pretty with areas of shade and sun. The great thing to is you can hop on a five minute free bus ride to sandals montego bay and the have a large sprawling beach there. My boyfriend and I still liked the island the best though and the boat ride takes all of four minutes. There were many pools and hot tubs. The main pools hot tub was extremely hot which was awesome! What I also loved about this resort is that the hot tubs and pools stay open all night! We loved going for a 3am dip. You stay up late and sleep in, and the humudity takes care of the hang over. The food was amazing. There are many different types of restauraunts, Tai, Jamaican, International, An English Pub, and A bbq bar. They also have a big beach dinner once a week. All of the food was amazing, large portions and vary tasty. And for the late night munchies the beach bar opens from 12-3am. They have the best burgers I have ever had in my life. Also remember you can hop on a bus to the montego bay sandals for dinner, we went to the japanese restauraunt a very cool experience and great food! The activities were awesome to get certified for scuba diving it was 60 dollars I think and then you go with an instructor well worth it! We went in october and because it was hurricaine season the water was merkier than usual but we were still able to see lots when snorkelling and scuba diving, the only thing we didnt see well was the glass bottom boat ride but it was still an awesome tour! Going into town get a driver we drove around for about 2 hours and he only asked for 10 dollars. Our driver Clive was excellent, he escorted us in and out of every building and was like a security gaurd. The people do love the tourists but as a woman I would reccomend having a driver even if you have your honey with you, its safer and makes you feel more at ease. You will feel completely safe in the resort, there really isn't anything to worry about there. The manager of the resort was very nice as well he was not Jamaican but an American, and from what we saw it seemed like the staff really enjoyed there jobs and were treated well. This is a more intimate resort than monetgo bay sandals, montego bay is bigger and a bit more of a party scene. There is still plenty of partying to be done here though don't get me wrong. I highly reccomend this resort and hope to go back! Honestly I wouldn't waste my time with reading the complaints it honestly is a once in a lifetime trip I have travelled lots and stayed in many great hotels and this was the best trip I have ever been on, It's also very romantic, and I would reccomend it for couples only!

Room Tip: the rooms are beautiful we got an automatic upgrade when we got there. Honestly don't worry abou...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer M
lnix613
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Royal Carribean is the best vacation I have ever had. The people are so friendly, the food is great and everything is so clean. I can't wait to go back!

8 Thank lnix613
Midwest USA
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The only thing I can think of from the people who gave a negative review is they normally live in a castle with 24/7 butler service. Either that or they deliberately gave a neg review to avoid large crowds going there. I was hesitant at first that this would be a honeymoon 20+ year olds kind of place, but it was pretty much 50/50 honeymooners and couples married 25 years or more. I felt completely at home and comfortable. Yes, the beach is smaller, but quiet and beautiful. And the "boat ride" to the private island is all of a 30 second trip, very much worth it. It has a pool, hot tub, swim up bar with fantastic service, then at 12:30 they have a Jamaican buffet. Complete restrooms and of course, the "optional clothing beach" on the opposite side of the island which no one was ever really over there :) Service was terrific, staff were friendly, and warm like family. There is one bar at the beach but I never had a problem getting a drink. Most of the time, they would have a 2nd drink ready for you seeing your glass getting low. There is also a swim up bar at the main pool which had great service. Rooms were clean and orderly, beautiful 4 poster bed and hot showers. I enjoyed the food, at all the restaurants, the Thai restaurant is definitely a worthwhile experience. I had trouble getting in and out of the "dragon boat" though, would recommend upgrades on that. Spent a few hours at the resort at MoBay, literally across the road from the airport, planes are extremely loud there but the crowd didn't seem to mind, drinks were great and the pizza fab! My only complaint would be I wish they had public internet/printer so we could have printed off our boarding passes in advance. The kiosk at the airport didn't work so we had to go check in manually. If that's all I have to complain about it's truly pretty lame. So, all in all, if you like privacy, beauty and great service - definitely GO!!

Room Tip: Don't reserve the most expensive room - Two different couples told me they reserved the cheapest...
5 Thank BungeeMidwestUSA