“Awseome Vacation”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed April 24, 2003

My boyfriend and I just got back on 4-14-03, and we loved it. The resort was outstanding. Our room was cleaned daily, and had the basics. T.V., phone, hair dryer and iron/ironing board. But who needs more when you are in paradise?? The food was better than good. Everyone told us that it would be gross, but we ate at the buffet for three meals a day, every day and loved it. The only bad thing about the resort is the phone. We brought a pre-paid phone card and couldn't use it. Calling home to the states to talk to my babies was EXPENSIVE and nearly impossible. Other than that, the grounds were well kept and beautiful, the staff were all friendly and helpful(the no tipping policy is bull, but 1 American dollsr is a lot to Jamaicans, so we didn't care. Definately go to Sunset Beach, but we STRONGLY advise that you consider any airline but Air Jamaica. That is another story. . .

Columbia, MD
Reviewed April 19, 2003

My boyfriend and I just returned on 4/17 after 5 days at Sunset Beach Resort & Spa. I must say that after reading the reviews on this site I was a bit apprehensive about what to expect. We had a wonderful time!! It was exactly what I expected for the price. Some of the tips I read from other reviewers helped make our trip problem free - like making reservations for the Chinese and Italian restaurants AS SOON AS you get there. You simply can't miss the Italian restaurant - it was one of the best meals I've ever had. Also, water shoes are a must for the beach. The staff couldn't have been nicer. One of the reviews I read said there wasn't enough variety of food at the Banana Walk buffet, all I can say is that some people must be impossible to please because every meal we had there had something different to offer, fish, pork, made to order omelets at breakfast, fresh fruit, extremely fresh salad fixings, just to name a few.It is a family resort, so if you're a single looking to hook up with someone, it's probably not the place for you. But if you're a couple or family that just wants to enjoy the sand and sun and to relax it's the perfect place to go. Enjoy your trip!!! We certainly did.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
East Hampton, CT
Reviewed April 18, 2003

Sunset Beach was great!! The employees (Hi Hubert!) were great and there for your every need. Volleyball, both pool and beach was fun and enjoyable. The Chinese restaurant was fabulous with great appetizers and fabulous main meal. The Italian place was okay, with great desserts. The bars are great, especially the swim up bars. Basketball court is nice and the hoop is okay. The water activities are enjoyable, especially snorkling. We saw water snakes, sea urchins, jellyfish, and colorful fish. Our room was great, we had a great view of the ocean and resort. The towels provided are thick and soft, unlike some resort's towels. The Banana Walk had above average food every day with outstanding breakfasts. The omellets I highly recommend. Nightlife was fine with great music. Every day there were a variety of activities to do. We went horsebak riding with Chukka Blue. It was phenomenal, with tame, easy to handle horses and extremely helpful guides. I would return to this resort in a heartbeat, it was a trip I will never forget.

Denver Colorado
Reviewed April 16, 2003

My husband, and another couple visited the Sunset Beach Resort 4/9-4/14 2003. Overall the resort in it's self was a very nice establishment. The rooms (Tower B) were cleaned every day, with basic amenties(phone, iron and ironing board), however, be prepared to pay a $30 deposit for the remote for the TV. There were alot of "special" things that we didn't discover until we in the room, thus causing us to make an addtional trips to the front desk. One of the elevators out of two was broken and it took 3 days to fix it--it took almost 15 min. to go up or down. The food was fair to excellent. I especially enjoyed the ethnic dishes that were prepared daily. We had dinner at the Chinese resturant and it was excellent. The public beach was very cleaned and provided adequate chairs and cabana. There were a couple of ladies sun bathing topless and I felt they should have gone to the nude beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My husband like the all inclusive idea. I felt that the tour buses(shopping etc..) should have been all inclusive as well. Overall, I wouldn't return to the Sunset Beach Resort, but I will be returning to Jamacia!!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 12, 2003

My husband and I just came back yesterday from the place. We celebrated our 23rd year anniversary. I highly recommend this place to anyone. We are definitely going to come back. Food great. Service was impecable. Ray the concierge was wonderful. If you have the time and adventorous spirit, please try the Chukka Blue Safari Jeep Tour. You haven't lived until you have tried that. Can't say one negative thing about this place.

6  Thank Nicoline1960
Reviewed April 10, 2003

My husband and I went to Sunset Beach for a week from February 20 - February 26th and it was the best vacation EVER. It had the most relaxing atmospher and the drinks were fantastic! For a change in pace have Sunset Magic! We went snokleing and also did a river raft trip. They both were awesome. We met alot of couple that have made arrangements to meet back there next year. We stay in the old section right on the beach and the room had no problems. The beaches were great - and yes it is rocky but wear swim shoes. The al' nautal beach is very comfortable and the "clothes" police, as we called them, kept the lookers off. Next trip we will remember to try to bring SNACKS. There wasn't any. The food was good and the grill took care of the most the munchies - but not snacking chips. A rate this place as being a very good relaxing place for the a good resonable price! It is not a 5 star resort so if you go - don't expect it to be. If you want 5 star - pay the hundreds of bucks more and go to one. This is a very reasonable price resort and affortable for many.

2  Thank valorie h
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed April 7, 2003

I just got back from Sunset Beach Resort and I had a great time! It was very relaxing. The resort was very nice. My friend and I stayed 5 days which was just enough time. The staff was helpful and friendly. The check in went smoothly and quickly even though a whole bus load of people came in together. Our room was nice too. It was not lavish but it was nice enough for the little bit of time we spent there. There are 3 restaurants and a beach grill. All are excellent. Make your reservations the first day you get there for the Italian and Chinese restaurants. The Italian was completely excellent! The beach grill was good for a quick lunch. There is a good variety for any pickey eaters, which I am. Pleanty of Chicken! The drinks were good too. For the drinks - if you go into town buy a big frosty mug and you can use it to get bigger drinks so you don't need to make as many trips to the bar. Once you are settled in on your first day see guest services. They will help you make reservations for dinner, plan any excursions, tell you where to go in town and provide transportation to any spots you want to visit. Do not use the taxi service unless they tell you that you need too. There are a lot of places that will pick you up or buses that will take you shopping bar hopping, sight seeing etc. for much cheaper! They will tell you all about it and help you plan anything you want to do. THEY ARE GREAT, especially RAY! At night there is not a whole lot to do at the resort. There is a very good one man band, and the house band also plays later in the evening every night. We were so tired at night we did not get to check out the disco. If you want to party I suggest you take the shuttle to Margaritaville. We found just sitting in the lobby in the cabana chairs listening to the music (with drink in hand) and watching the people walk bye quite relaxing. We went on two excursions - horseback riding and a snorkeling trip on the Tropical Dreamer. They were both worth the money. Which I did fun! Do not believe the stories you hear about Jamaica. Everyone we met was very nice. We did not have any problems. Just be aware like you are when you go out in an unfamiliary place thats all. When shopping they are a little pushy, but just smile and say no thank you and walk away. You can use your American money just ask for American change. Also start out by offering them half the price they are asking. Sometimes it works and if not you can barter till you get a good price. They were all very friendly when we were there. Also one last tip. If you need to make a phone call buy a phone card from the cashier once you get there. They are only $13.00 for 21 minutes. Well worth it, also call from the pay phone by the spa. They are very easy and much cheaper than any other method. We met a lot of very nice people and enjoyed everything about our vacation. It was a very relaxing vacation! Well worth the money. Sit back relax and enjoy!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!