Tripadvisor
Montego Bay
7,883 results
All reviews sunset beach lazy river the grill jerk chicken italian restaurant grilled cheese water shoes sea urchins swim up bar kids club food was great family resort french fries hot dogs star resort adult pool gift shop
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was staying at this hotel its very nice and fun. When I was there was somebody call cyril he was the host of the events. Hes a very funny and loving person. Everyday me and my family did different stuff with him. Me and him played ping pong danced together and so much more. He made my stay fun.

Trip type: Traveled with family
econcierge_susmb, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you very much for choosing Sunscape Resorts and Spa Montego Bay as your host on your recent gateway to Jamaica.

It was an honor having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with us on Trip advisor.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I am only giving them 3 stars because of the staff. Special shoutout to Saria, Juliene, Sharel Tomlinson, Fienando in coco cafe. Your staff was wonderful and courteous. Disappointed in most of the food. Your dining establisments were not open as advertised. Any other resorts we have been to the restaurant were open every night. They would take turns being closed. We all had problems with our room keys all week long. Rooms could use updating. I notice in our bathroom tile was missing and the molding along the floor needed to be cleaned. Otherwise we enjoyed the weather. Would not come back to this place again. Stayed january 14-21. Oh yeah don't fall for the resorts credit. Not worth it. And they will try to get you to buy a resort membership.

1  Thank patti853

Thank you for taking the time to share your important feedback with us!

We are convinced that it is only through carefully listening to our guests’ comments that we are able to improve our day to day operations and provide our guests with the service they truly deserve.

Thank you for sharing your review and we truly hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was surprised that during checkin we were offered an upgrade for $150 a night. We used our points and I felt that should get us the top accommodations. Some of the lounge chairs on the beach were broken. Every time we use our points we are attacked with upgrades, meetings and extra offers, but not really. We were offered $200, but it came down to spend $205 for a massage and can use one $40 coupon. The food and optional dining areas was very nice. The game hut was a great idea. When flying it's costly to pack extra. The ladies in the gift shop were very nice and it was a nice idea to be able to charge to our room. That way we used out card once to settle several different shopping time. Our door card had to be redone every day and many people around us was having the same problem. One we had to go to the front desk twice.

Date of stay: January 2020
Review collected in partnership with RCI
econcierge_susmb, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Horrible Hygiene in the restaurants, (soap is right there but none of the cooks used soap they did a very fast splash of water at best) building crumbling, EVERYTHING there needs scrubbing and or painting, cockroaches in our room, lost all water in the room while I was trying to shower, outdoor hot tubs don't have working heaters so cold, when we had it the shower water crept hotter & hotter to unsafe points, I had to take apart &fix the toilet myself or we would be without a working toilet, the cold buffet food tasted questionable at best, & never had much if any menu change, they advertise many restaurants but only had the buffet and 1 other open at any time(never more than two open in the same night) I heard they "didn't have enough people to make it worth it!"
Children's Rec. areas just plain filthy, highchairs with broken safety straps, remote didn't work, huge beach letdown for me were that you are walled in so you can't walk the beach much and guards stop you in rude ways if you even try to get around those walls. By far- bar none the snorkeling was unbelievably dead, I like to snorkel and did so along all the rock walls multiple times (places that should be full of life) I saw only about 5-6 fish & nothing over 3" ! The hotel felt to be half full but they still didn't have enough pool towels or chairs. "club music blasting almost all of the time.
Lastly many employees acted as they didn't want to be there & a handful were just plain rude or disrespectful. Even the hotel manager- while talking with upset vacationers spouted out almost as many lies as Pres. Trump lol
I have done many trips to Mexico and other resort areas in the Caribbean, nothing like this place

Room tip: watch out for the bait n switch , booked an "ocean view room" is not "ocean front"
2  Thank stevesjk

Thank you for taking the time to share your important comments with us!

We are committed to our guests’ complete satisfaction and are truly sorry we could not leave this impression on you during your recent stay at our property.

We do understand the importance of satisfying each of our guests and we do appreciate the concerns highlighted.

The management team would have loved to receive your comments during your stay to fully assist and have you accommodated as best as possible.

Please note that we do take your feedback very seriously and our management team is diligently following up.

We sincerely are thankful for your review and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our family stayed here from January 9th-16th. It was my Husband's parents, my husband, our two small children (4 and 18 months) and myself. We were nervous about this trip as we had seen the mounting negative reviews before we came. However, we've never been scared off by bad reviews before so we kept our reservations. It proved to be a good decision and turned out to be a fantastic vacation.

I will try to be as thorough as possible as I feel that the resort and those who work there deserve the feedback and it was clear to us that they do pay attention to the comments on here as we witnessed them rectifying some of the complaints while we were vacationing there. I hope that my review helps some of you who may also be unsure about this resort so that you can make the right decision for your family, whatever that may be.

Check In
We arrived at the resort much earlier than check-in, around noon. The women at the desk were very friendly, pointed us in the direction of the buffet and told us to come back around 2:30 to check to see if our rooms were ready. We came back around 2 as we had to meet with the apple reps at 130. The woman called up and requested that they finish up our rooms quickly and asked we come back in 20 minutes. We were in our rooms before the 3 oclock check in time. While checking in, my MIL did request towels (as that was obviously a concern based on reviews) and we were also given a free upgrade to a Bay View on the 8th floor. If i had to choose between ocean view and bay view, I would go with the bay view as it was breathtaking and seeing the cruise ships was amazing!

The Room
The reviews are correct when they say that the rooms need updating. I have definitely stayed in nicer rooms, but I've also paid much more for those rooms. The shower seemed to show the most wear out of everything in the room. It wasn't the nicest, but the water pressure was fine and we always had hot-water. The air conditioner worked well, the beds were satisfactory, and everything seemed clean when we arrived. There were towels, hand towels, wash cloths, and the floor mat already in the room. The only real issue I took was that the dresser drawers were very difficult to open and shut, along with the closet doors which constantly got stuck in the track. The room did have a drying rack which was very nice. The balcony was a nice touch and as I mentioned before, the view was one of the best we've ever had from our room. If you are like myself and need absolute quiet while sleeping, I recommend bringing a sound machine as it did help drown out the noise in the halls and music at night.

Housekeeping
We continued to receive towels every day, only needing to ask for the floor mats periodically throughout the week. Unfortunately, as the week progressed we realized that the room was not being fully cleaned every day. The bathroom seemed to only be cleaned every other day or so and the floors were not being mopped, as our feet would be black before we got into bed. This is definitely something I would recommend improvements on. Our mini-bar was stocked daily with plenty of beverages.

The Food
The food here at the buffets and the a la cartes was good. We traveled with 2 small children and never had a problem finding them something they would eat. There was definitely a problem with nats on the fruit bar, but by the time we left they had started putting saran-wrap over it to try to solve the problem. I'm not sure if that is a permanent solution but at least they were trying to fix the problem. If you start to feel like the food is getting repetitive, try a wrap from the grill station during lunch at the buffet. They are amazing!!! Our absolute favorite item was the Jerk Potato Salad at the Seaside Grille (A La Carte). Honestly, it was delicious and we look forward to trying to replicate the recipe now that we're home. As for long waits, we always tend to eat on the earlier side for dinner so we never experienced a wait to be seated. The coffee bar was one we visited multiple times a day whether we needed an iced coffee fix, a snack for the kids, or even a small sandwich mid-afternoon. It was one of our favorite things about the resort.

The Bars
Finding strong liquor isn't always a top priority on our vacations so I would rate this resort as average, as they serve weaker drinks by the pool (like most resorts) and stronger drinks in the lobby bar. However, the Brandy Alexander is strong regardless of which bar you get it from and definitely made for a fun time for us adults. I recommend trying one and having the man with the big smile (I can't remember his name) at the poolside bar make it for you. You'll know who I'm talking about. The only downside was that they did not have mint the whole time we were there so therefore no mojitos which are my favorite.

The Pools, Waterpark, and Beach
The pools and slides, like most everything else obviously need some updating, but they're not in such awful shape that you can't enjoy them. We spent pretty much every day going back and forth between the main pool and the water slides and had an absolute blast. I'm 30 years old, but felt like a kid going down the water slides. Our kids loved it and we all got our exercise in going up the steps. The lazy river made for the perfect setting for our 18 month old to nap in our arms while we floated around. There were plenty of tubes in my opinion.

As for the chairs and beach towels...we managed to snag towels our very first day there and kept them the whole time as we only used them to dry off. My In-laws needed to switch out towels one day due to the rain and there were towels available at that time so for us, we had no issues. As for the chairs, we did notice they looked pretty bad when we arrived but all or most had been cleaned by the time we left. They did get claimed pretty early into the day, but we are early risers and always managed to get some. I do feel that if the resort would purchase more, the problem with people feeling the need to "save" chairs would not be as bad. I did love that they had quite a few umbrellas and palapas so finding shade was never that difficult if you claimed your chairs early enough.

The beach wasn't the best we'd ever visited but was sufficient and we did come home with some stellar seashells and sea urchins. The waterpark made up for any shortcomings with the beach in my opinion.

Other Facilities
The lobby was huge and extended out to two pools. It was very nice with plenty of comfy seating. The elevators worked while we were there, although they were a little slow at times. One of our favorite things to do was to play the mini-golf every evening before or after dinner. Yes, the whole area needs a major overhaul, but it was still fun and the kids loved it. I never noticed a funny smell on my hands after using the putters like other mentioned.

Entertainment
We only saw one show (the magic show) and it was really good. The rest of the nights we were in bed by 9 due to having small children who spent their days playing in the water. I did participate in zumba which was so much fun. My husband and I both attempted to ride their mechanical bull. We both lost. There was always something fun going on by the pool after lunchtime, usually with a chance to win a bottle of rum. There was a good variety of music and everyone on the entertainment staff was friendly and engaging. Every other day or so there were also local vendors which was always a good way to pass the time.

The Staff
Just about everyone we engaged with, whether checking in, meal service, even gardening and maintenance crew were friendly and polite. I'd especially like to mention Janel who was our waitress one evening at the buffet. She was extremely accommodating to the kids and even took them to the coffee bar to get some ice cream while the adults finished their meals.

The Weather
Although the weather is obviously something the resort has no control over, I did just want to say that we only had rain 2 of the 7 days we were there and the rain quickly gave way to sun, usually around noon. The rest of the time was sunny and beautiful with a lovely breeze that never made it feel too hot. It definitely made a spot for Jamaica on my favorites list.

Overall, we loved every minute of this vacation. No it wasn't the fanciest we've ever stayed but for the price it was a great deal and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. If you are one who requires luxury, this resort is not for you. But if you are the type who is satisfied with the charming, and dare I say rustic and have the mind frame of "vacation is what you make it" then I have no doubt that you will walk away with an enjoyable vacation that you won't forget.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bay
4  Thank 887crystalh