Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
7,882 results
All reviews sunset beach lazy river the grill jerk chicken italian restaurant grilled cheese water shoes sea urchins swim up bar kids club food was great family resort french fries hot dogs star resort adult pool gift shop
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our family stayed here from January 9th-16th. It was my Husband's parents, my husband, our two small children (4 and 18 months) and myself. We were nervous about this trip as we had seen the mounting negative reviews before we came. However, we've never been scared off by bad reviews before so we kept our reservations. It proved to be a good decision and turned out to be a fantastic vacation.

I will try to be as thorough as possible as I feel that the resort and those who work there deserve the feedback and it was clear to us that they do pay attention to the comments on here as we witnessed them rectifying some of the complaints while we were vacationing there. I hope that my review helps some of you who may also be unsure about this resort so that you can make the right decision for your family, whatever that may be.

Check In
We arrived at the resort much earlier than check-in, around noon. The women at the desk were very friendly, pointed us in the direction of the buffet and told us to come back around 2:30 to check to see if our rooms were ready. We came back around 2 as we had to meet with the apple reps at 130. The woman called up and requested that they finish up our rooms quickly and asked we come back in 20 minutes. We were in our rooms before the 3 oclock check in time. While checking in, my MIL did request towels (as that was obviously a concern based on reviews) and we were also given a free upgrade to a Bay View on the 8th floor. If i had to choose between ocean view and bay view, I would go with the bay view as it was breathtaking and seeing the cruise ships was amazing!

The Room
The reviews are correct when they say that the rooms need updating. I have definitely stayed in nicer rooms, but I've also paid much more for those rooms. The shower seemed to show the most wear out of everything in the room. It wasn't the nicest, but the water pressure was fine and we always had hot-water. The air conditioner worked well, the beds were satisfactory, and everything seemed clean when we arrived. There were towels, hand towels, wash cloths, and the floor mat already in the room. The only real issue I took was that the dresser drawers were very difficult to open and shut, along with the closet doors which constantly got stuck in the track. The room did have a drying rack which was very nice. The balcony was a nice touch and as I mentioned before, the view was one of the best we've ever had from our room. If you are like myself and need absolute quiet while sleeping, I recommend bringing a sound machine as it did help drown out the noise in the halls and music at night.

Housekeeping
We continued to receive towels every day, only needing to ask for the floor mats periodically throughout the week. Unfortunately, as the week progressed we realized that the room was not being fully cleaned every day. The bathroom seemed to only be cleaned every other day or so and the floors were not being mopped, as our feet would be black before we got into bed. This is definitely something I would recommend improvements on. Our mini-bar was stocked daily with plenty of beverages.

The Food
The food here at the buffets and the a la cartes was good. We traveled with 2 small children and never had a problem finding them something they would eat. There was definitely a problem with nats on the fruit bar, but by the time we left they had started putting saran-wrap over it to try to solve the problem. I'm not sure if that is a permanent solution but at least they were trying to fix the problem. If you start to feel like the food is getting repetitive, try a wrap from the grill station during lunch at the buffet. They are amazing!!! Our absolute favorite item was the Jerk Potato Salad at the Seaside Grille (A La Carte). Honestly, it was delicious and we look forward to trying to replicate the recipe now that we're home. As for long waits, we always tend to eat on the earlier side for dinner so we never experienced a wait to be seated. The coffee bar was one we visited multiple times a day whether we needed an iced coffee fix, a snack for the kids, or even a small sandwich mid-afternoon. It was one of our favorite things about the resort.

The Bars
Finding strong liquor isn't always a top priority on our vacations so I would rate this resort as average, as they serve weaker drinks by the pool (like most resorts) and stronger drinks in the lobby bar. However, the Brandy Alexander is strong regardless of which bar you get it from and definitely made for a fun time for us adults. I recommend trying one and having the man with the big smile (I can't remember his name) at the poolside bar make it for you. You'll know who I'm talking about. The only downside was that they did not have mint the whole time we were there so therefore no mojitos which are my favorite.

The Pools, Waterpark, and Beach
The pools and slides, like most everything else obviously need some updating, but they're not in such awful shape that you can't enjoy them. We spent pretty much every day going back and forth between the main pool and the water slides and had an absolute blast. I'm 30 years old, but felt like a kid going down the water slides. Our kids loved it and we all got our exercise in going up the steps. The lazy river made for the perfect setting for our 18 month old to nap in our arms while we floated around. There were plenty of tubes in my opinion.

As for the chairs and beach towels...we managed to snag towels our very first day there and kept them the whole time as we only used them to dry off. My In-laws needed to switch out towels one day due to the rain and there were towels available at that time so for us, we had no issues. As for the chairs, we did notice they looked pretty bad when we arrived but all or most had been cleaned by the time we left. They did get claimed pretty early into the day, but we are early risers and always managed to get some. I do feel that if the resort would purchase more, the problem with people feeling the need to "save" chairs would not be as bad. I did love that they had quite a few umbrellas and palapas so finding shade was never that difficult if you claimed your chairs early enough.

The beach wasn't the best we'd ever visited but was sufficient and we did come home with some stellar seashells and sea urchins. The waterpark made up for any shortcomings with the beach in my opinion.

Other Facilities
The lobby was huge and extended out to two pools. It was very nice with plenty of comfy seating. The elevators worked while we were there, although they were a little slow at times. One of our favorite things to do was to play the mini-golf every evening before or after dinner. Yes, the whole area needs a major overhaul, but it was still fun and the kids loved it. I never noticed a funny smell on my hands after using the putters like other mentioned.

Entertainment
We only saw one show (the magic show) and it was really good. The rest of the nights we were in bed by 9 due to having small children who spent their days playing in the water. I did participate in zumba which was so much fun. My husband and I both attempted to ride their mechanical bull. We both lost. There was always something fun going on by the pool after lunchtime, usually with a chance to win a bottle of rum. There was a good variety of music and everyone on the entertainment staff was friendly and engaging. Every other day or so there were also local vendors which was always a good way to pass the time.

The Staff
Just about everyone we engaged with, whether checking in, meal service, even gardening and maintenance crew were friendly and polite. I'd especially like to mention Janel who was our waitress one evening at the buffet. She was extremely accommodating to the kids and even took them to the coffee bar to get some ice cream while the adults finished their meals.

The Weather
Although the weather is obviously something the resort has no control over, I did just want to say that we only had rain 2 of the 7 days we were there and the rain quickly gave way to sun, usually around noon. The rest of the time was sunny and beautiful with a lovely breeze that never made it feel too hot. It definitely made a spot for Jamaica on my favorites list.

Overall, we loved every minute of this vacation. No it wasn't the fanciest we've ever stayed but for the price it was a great deal and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. If you are one who requires luxury, this resort is not for you. But if you are the type who is satisfied with the charming, and dare I say rustic and have the mind frame of "vacation is what you make it" then I have no doubt that you will walk away with an enjoyable vacation that you won't forget.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bay
3  Thank 887crystalh
econcierge_susmb, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you very much for choosing Sunscape Resorts and Spa Montego Bay as your host on your recent gateway to Jamaica.

It was an honor having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with us on Trip advisor.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stephen the entertainment coordinator was hand down the best. He really made my stay in Jamaica one to remember. His energy was pure and he has a real gift. Thanks Stephen I can't wait to come back to Jamaica and cross paths with you again. One Love !Beat Box King/Dancing Machine.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just got back with my family of 4 from this amazing resort tonight and had to leave a great review because this resort truly deserves it. Also I can't sleep.

Check in, a breeze.

Rooms are clean,bright and spacious. Big up Aneka, one love. I had a "deal of the day room" 2 double beds with a Marina View. Lots more to see from the balcony. And neat to see cruise ships coming and going. We had hot water so I don't know what the issue is with other reviews. Must be an isolated issue.

Buffet food is really good....really good. Never left there hungry. Also at the buffet was an island that had authentic Jamaican cuisine for tourists to try. I thought that was neat.

Pool loungers are now all cleaned/replaced for those who complained about that. Pool and water slides could use a makeover. but it works.

Shout out to Renika and Kevin at the Jerk Chicken Station at the Seaside snackbar. It's a tie between the both of you on who makes the best jerk. One love! Also served are hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, nachos and fries. All the condiments you need, they got.

A la cartes are good as well. The one that we did not try was the Gohan. Nothing on the menu sounded appetizing for us, but I'm sure was good. The other 2 were Jamaican Fusion and Portofino(Italian). These restaurants are not open daily. They each get their day to be open. No reservation required.

Entertainment was good. No complaints. Went to every single show except one night, Saturday, we were pooped. I was in bed at 9pm,lol.

Beach is rocky, so maybe bring water shoes.

Now onto Coco Café. Saved the best for last. This is by far the best feature of this hotel. Especially for families. A 24hr café that serves regular coffee & specialty coffees. Teas, cakes, mini sandwiches, slushies and ICE CREAM!!! This was a hit with my family. In no particular order, Patrice, Prencess and Fieando my family thanks you for your services. You three are the dream team for the café. Nothing but good vibes from all of you. You all put a big smile on this yardie's face, ear to ear. This was me spot to practice me patois and they loved it and didn't expect it from this guy. Lol So Big up to the team. Sunscape, take care of my brotha Fieando, he is someone special. It was hard saying goodbye to him. One love, respect. Lata brotha and sistas. See you tomorrow.

So for those who left or about to leave negative reviews let me say this. You are treated they way you treat others. Be polite, don't come of as rude or impatient. It's Jamaica, No Problem!!! Just situations. And those situations have solutions. So kick back, have an awesome stay at this family friendly resort. One love, Respect

8  Thank Bigbadbruin82

Reviewed January 15, 2020

Beach is fair, little rocky. Food was exceptional, Alcohol and service exceptional. Staff are very friendly, go above and beyond. Rooms clean, bed uncomfortable and pillows small/lumpy. Apparently resort owned by some rich billionaire that is sucking everything they can out of the resort and not maintaining and fixing it up, needs some work.

Room tip: ocean view, higher the floor better to get away from noise
1  Thank 744jeannieh
econcierge_susmb, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your important feedback with us!

We are convinced that it is only through carefully listening to our guests’ comments that we are able to improve our day to day operations and provide our guests with the service they truly deserve.

Thank you for sharing your review and we truly hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

We visited the resort after Christmas....for a family New Years getaway in the sun. We selected the resort mostly for the water park......to occupy our 6 year old.

The vacation wasn’t a failure, but we won’t be back, nor could we recommend it to others. Here’s my balanced assessment.

Cons:

1. The food was terrible. We stayed at the Cove....which gave us access to a limited access restaurant there. Breakfast was good, if ordered a la carte, but the buffet was small and poor quality. We tried other restaurants at the resort.....the Italian was terrible...the Seaside Grill was OK’ish.....and the buffet failed us multiple times, even though it had a very broad selection. We actually went next door to the Hard Rock one night to get a better meal....which says a lot right there. Sadly....my best meals were the oatmeal for breakfast, and a burger and hot dog for lunch on separate occasions. Two thumbs down on the kitchens.

2. The drinks....were not much better than the food. Drink beer when you’re there. Except for the gin....the alcohol was bottom shelf....at least the vodka and tequila. I’m blaming the quality of the ingredients here. The lobby bar at the Cove was more passable...as they had mid-tier products for vodka and rum. We switched to ordering half red wine with half OJ....to make a rough Sangria for the back half of the week. We couldn’t take another cocktail.

3. The beach. It appears man made...but it looks nice enough. The problem....was the smell. Think about a whiff between swamp gas or septic. It’s weedy....which makes for better snorkelling, but among the weeds, the bottom is sludgey, not sandy. There are a few strips of sand that are enjoyable to walk out on,..and that’s where you see everyone congregate. Our room at The Cove overlooked the beach....and sadly....we rarely used it.

4. Beach and pool chairs. Get them while they’re free. Hotel policy says that you can’t hold them unoccupied for more than 30 minutes. This rule was neither enforced nor obeyed. If you aren’t laying claim by 7:30 AM, you are not getting one.

5. Towels. They must have become scarce. I heard multiple complaints about room towels by the guests. We had 3 people in our room....and had 2 towels. I talked to another guest who had 4 people....and one towel. I am not sure why they were short. Two calls to room service, followed by promises of more towels, did not materialize in any being delivered. We relied on our Butler to drop off pool towels for us the night before. Pool towels, you have to queue for. I was happy we had an arrangement with our assigned Butler.....as I saw people lined up for more than 30 minutes in the morning to get pool towels. ...no doubt to mark their chairs as occupied in the morning.

6. Room. Very tight. Bathroom....one person at a time. Doors adjoining the neighbour’s room are poor sound barriers. Very noisy....so watch your voice level.

Pros:

1. We had great weather.. sunny and not too hot. Nice breeze.

2. Kids Club......our child loved it. Lots of arts and crafts and stage opportunities. The staff did a great job....freeing up mum and dad for some relaxation.

3. Water park/slides. We chose the resort for the park.....and it did not disappoint. The slides are tall and fast, and the lazy river has a good current.

4. Scuba. The rental equipment was in better shape than I would have imagined. The service was great. The dives themselves....were so so.....and for whatever reason, the dive master was determined to keep them to 45 minutes max. You’ll come up with plenty of air left.

5. Butler. If you stay at the Cove (beachfront rooms) they assign you a butler. Vinroy....helped us out with beach towels and dinner reservations. He was a great help. Two thumbs up for Vinroy.

6. Staff. The staff were generally quite friendly.

Summary:

My wife and I were disappointed with the above, but enjoyed good weather and a relaxing trip, so, as first mentioned, not a total failure. My daughter loved the kid’s club and the water park. She’ll tell you it was the best vacation ever. She would go back....we would not.

Management tips: Some of the issues are easily overcome....it just needs some small management interventions.

1. Invest in room towels. That you are shorting guests is crazy. There should be at least a towel per guest. You know who’s coming....plan ahead.

2. Place pool towel dispensers around the pools....to provide clean towels on demand.....and have receptacles for the used towels. People left them lying on chairs....which made them look reserved....or took them back to their rooms.

3. Address the chair issue. When I went to dive at about 7:30 AM and walked by the pools and along the beach, I estimate that 80% of the chairs were already claimed. ..with few actual occupants. You need more chairs.....and better policy enforcement.

4. Invest in better bar products. I’m not asking for top shelf. Mid-shelf would do. The drink quality was poor.

5. Investigate the food quality. The hotel ownership is Italian. Have them visit the Italian restaurant ..and tell me how it’s considered Italian.

The pictures below do the resort more justice than it deserves.

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank sea2ski

Thank you for taking the time to share your important comments with us!

We are committed to our guests’ complete satisfaction and are truly sorry we could not leave this impression on you during your recent stay at our property.

Please note that we do take your feedback very seriously and our management team is diligently following up.

We sincerely are thankful for your review and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Kind regards,