“Nude Beach was REAL NICE...”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Saint John NB Canada
“Nude Beach was REAL NICE...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2006

I stayed at the Sunset from July 23/2006 until August 13/2006. I was there on work/vacation...working graveyard Monday-Friday, which gave me some great time during the day times.

Room

Very average...I stayed in the East wing, and for $140.00 US a night, I was disappointed. Dark, dingy rooms, with nothing more than a bed, TV, and chair. Add the fact that the reception on the TV is TERRIBLE (I know, who watches TV on vacation)...

Not much variety, birds flying around looking for morsals, not opening when they were scheduled (breakfast hours were 7-10, but they NEVER opened before 720 AM) were the downsides.
The upsides were that you could get a bite to eat almost always (except in that 700-720 time frame).
You have to get an omelet...they are to DIE for.

Staff

Maids do a terrible job cleaning the room (no towels, no facecloth, no toilet paper, no soap, no BEDSPREAD even) are examples of different things they DID NOT leave me on various nights (NO BEDSPREAD...I mean really). On top of this, they are very slow...many times I was out for 2-3 hours and came back with no room made up...SIGH.
Guest Services was FANTASTIC...friendly, knowledgable, and all around nice people.
Bartenders and servers were very helpful too.
Front desk was slow and unhelpful.
Operators were down right RUDE and slow when you called them from your room.
Wake up calls were a joke...I asked for 5 or 6, but only got 2...both were late.

Beaches

AMAZING...I loved the beaches most of anything. The Au Natural Beach is great. I spent a number of days there...there is not a large crowd, a bar very close, and you can either disrobe as you enter this beach, or if you are shy, you can wait until you go down the other end...And there are not many people trying to steal looks either, which is a nice change.
Snorkling and Kayaking is geat too.
Watch out for jelly fish and sea urchins...they are in the water, and if you are on the less used areas (such as au natural), they are much more common.

Pools

AMAZING...fun for all ages.

All in all, it was ok. I went for the weather more than anyting else (such as room, food, etc)...and even when the weather did not co-operate, it was a nice place to be (Jamaica I mean, not the resort).

• Liked — Au Natural Beach
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank kingkevin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,405)
  • Polish first
Tornado Alley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2006

My fiance and I went to Sunset Beach to get married. We traveled with two boys, 9 and 13 (his son and my nephew).

Water Park
The boys LOVED the water park! They spent the entire day on the water slides and floating around the lazy river. The only downside is that the slides close at 5:00pm. Thank goodness for the Teen Center/Arcade.

Arcade
After the water slides shut off, the boys were off to the arcade. There a minimum number of games at this time (I hear there will be more) but they had 4 TVs set up with playstation games and the boys had a great time playing each other and making lots of new friends.

Other Fun
There are also pool tables, ping pong tables, miniature golf, foosball, slot machines, and games you could check out.

Kid Safety
I am a horrible worrier, but I was very comfortable giving the boys lots of free time to play without feeling I had to have an eye on them at all times. There were a lot of kids around and they made tons of new friends. Every morning (much earlier than I'd like on vacation) there were numerous children calling our room summoning the boys down to play.

I don't go on vacation for the food. Even at home I will pretty much eat anything you put in front of me. The food was fine at the buffet and great at the 2 specialty restaurants. The kids never liked anything at the lunch buffet though. No problem, they just ate at the grill all week. One week of living on only burgers and fries won't stunt their growth too much will it???

Spa
The spa had a good menu of services. I had the Sea and "C" facial, a pedicure and updo for the wedding. The stylist did a great job with my hair. The prices were not a whole lot more than what I pay at my local day spa. The service good. By the way, there is a gym at the spa! I asked at the front desk when I checked in if there was a gym and he said there wasn't. (I was there for 5 days before my wedding, and I would have liked to workout a couple of times to be sure I could still fit in my dress. It was snug to begin with.) I don't have any idea why he told me there wasn't one. Either 1) he didn't know or 2) he just didn't want me to know. Either one is unacceptable in my eyes. No harm though, it still fit.

Wedding
Our wedding was beautiful and our coordinator did a great job. It was just what a destination wedding should be, no fuss, no hassle, just great memories and great pictures. We spent about 10 minutes the day before the wedding with our coordinator and then walked down the aisle the next day. It was just us four in the wedding (and some of our new friends to watch), so if you are planning a wedding there with a larger party there might be more involved, but it was fantastic. The photographer did a great job too.

Accommodations
Clean. Fresh Towels. No complaints.

Excursions
We really enjoyed floating the river. We had a guide that was out of this world. Plus they gave us a gallon jug of rum punch to take with us. The rope swing was great! There were others that we talked to that did the canopy tour and said it was a blast. We couldn't do it because there is a minimum age of 13 and our 9 year old couldn't go. Take bug spray if you do these. My bites are still healing up 1 1/2 weeks later.

Gift Shops
Employees in the gift shops are great. Very friendly! Remembered our names each time we went in.

Bars
Great daily specials. Very friendly, especially the ones at the bar.

Beaches
Since the hotel is on the bay side, there is no surf coming in, which disappointed all of us. The beaches are very short in most places too. Only about 10 feet from stepping onto the beach to the water's edge. The sand is very rocky. Take water shoes if you want to walk out in the water.

Awful! Out of seven morning we at breakfast only once did we get coffee before we were done eating. The servers are the rudest, most unhelpful "service" folks I've ever seen. One lady yelled at me so loud that other guests were embarrased for me. She was very upset that I wanted hot tea, but didn't lay my coffee cup on it's side (I had just turned it upright). Then another lady at the grill yelled at our 9 year old because he thought the yellow squirt bottle at the table was mustard. He got up and got a red bottle because he wanted ketchup. Apparently the yellow bottle also contains ketchup and you obviously are not allowed to have more than one bottle on your table. She took it away from him and slammed it down on a empty table. The poor kid was scared to go get food from the grill after that.

Overall
I would go back if we were traveling with the kids again. Keeping them entertained keeps us happy. If we were to go back to Jamaica sans kids, no way.

17 Thank Mike&Shelly
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2006

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Sunset Beach Resort, and it far exceeded my expectations. Our party included my family of 3 (our son is 13) and another family of 4 (their daughters are 12 and 14). Everyone in our party found something that suited them - kids loved the water park, the beach, and the freedom, adults loved the snorkeling, kayaking, and yes, the water park too. The bay was beautiful, as were the sunsets. We stayed in the inn side of the property, which was definitely more of a walk to the action, but was much quieter than the towers, which suited us fine.

The food was very good - I don't know what the other reviewers were complaining about, unless they are very picky. There was always a wide variety of dishes, including salads and plenty of fruit choices for the dieters among us. The food at the grill was also good - the jerk chicken was delicious! There is no reason whatsoever to bring your own ketchup - their ketchup is a little different, but just fine. We saw almost no one using their own ketchup, by the way.

There is also also no reason to bring water shoes - it is unbelievable to me that people on this site said the beach was rocky. It is absolutely smooth, no problem at all walking to the water. We did bring our own snorkel equipment, though.

Some other notes: the gift shop is not particularly overpriced - I noticed that the suntan lotion was the same price as it was for me at home - so don't panic if you forget something. The entire staff was very friendly - always smiling and concerned with your enjoyment. My husband did tip the bartenders, and the server each night, but it should be done discreetly as it is a no tipping place. We ate at both restaurants, Silk Road and Botticelli, and the food was delicious at both. We made reservations from home three days before we arrived, and had no problem getting in. Daytime and nightime entertainment was fun - from music trivia contests to a Jamaican cooking demonstration to steel bands - even a water slide speed racing competition. The leaders of the activites were funny, upbeat, and were very good at what they were doing.

The spa was also delightful - my friend and I had reflexology treatments and manicures, and her daughters had their hair braided. Again, very friendly staff, and prices like spas in NY.

We had just two complaints during our stay - on one day they ran out of dry towels, and on the last day, the family we were travelling with waited quite a while to have their bags picked up from their room. That's it - very minor stuff. Overall, the place is an excellent value for the money - the staff is great, the food is delicious, the view is spectacular, and the grounds are immaculate. We enjoyed our vacation at Sunset Beach tremendously, and are already talking of going back in the future.

24 Thank mezz4a
Derby,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2006

Once again we had an great hoilday in Jamaica. The sunset gets better each year.
Rooms. Clean, safe, good size, nice A/C and 125 TV stations to look at. Graet for kids as you shower and change. What more do you want.
Food. Its not Gorden Ramsey cooking but, the food is good and pleanty of it.
Pools. Clean and safe. The water park is lots of fun but needs more shade.
Beaches. Again clean and the sea is warm and safe.
Bars. Jackie at the pool bar is great. Ask her and she will bring in a local paper for you each day. Ask her how her accounts study is going for me please.
Kids Club. Brill!!!!!!! our little one loved it. Could not wait to get there in the morning. They did lots of stuff and had a great time. We always thing if he is having a good time so will we.

Enjoy it.

Philip Ingall

• Liked — Water Park
  • Disliked — No shade around the pools
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy it
5 Thank cobra5454
colonia,New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

I was at the resort the first week in August with my son and we had a great time. The staff was very friendly and for the short duration that it rained, they mobilized quickly to make it very entertaining for the guests.
I have a sensitive stomach and had NO problems with any of the food including the jerk chicken!
There were some jellyfish present, but i made sure to pack jellyfish repellent and had no trouble snorkling.
There was a nice variety of food and the excursions (don't miss Dunns Falls) were terrific.
Only one complaint- The doors in the entire hotel need oil as opening and closing them was loud and the noise echoed throughout the floor.
People who have complained on this site seemed too critical for what we experienced.

• Liked — not far from the airport.
  • Disliked — NOISY ROOM DOORS
  • Tips/Secrets — bring jellyfish repellant
9 Thank stuorange
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

My family stayed at Sunset Beach Tower A from August 6th through the 12th. There was pros and cons to this resort as in any other resort I have stayed in. The food choices were not as large at the buffet as others, but you could always find something to eat to satisfy everyone. A huge plus on this resort was the grill located outside by the pool areas. You could get burgers, grilled cheese, hot dogs, fries, etc.. without having to change for lunch to go to the restaurant. This is something my children ages 14 and 10 liked alot. This allowed them to stay in their swimsuits until dinner time. The shows were entertaining nightly and we met a lot of great people there.
The servers were ok, some were nicer than others for sure. I always went out of my way to be friendly and most of the time got a positive result. I think if some were rude maybe it is due to just people being too pushy in the past and spoiled it for the rest of us. A great plus to this resort versus other resorts is that their pools never close except for the water slides. I found this wonderful as many other resorts would close them around 6pm or 7pm that I have been to.
Now the only few negatives I have are this:
The cruise ships will be pulling into port and some of those people off the ship will be entering the resort, making your area at the pools and beaches very crowded. I did NOT LIKE this as we got up late and could not get a chair around the water park as we had in previous days. I don't think this is fair that Sunset lets these people share our resort.
The room was just ok, it was clean for the most part except the closet was really dusty and dirty. The maids forgot to leave us towels but I called the desk and we got some delivered in 10 min which was great.
The teen center is not really a teen center, it is more like a room with video games for 7-12 year olds. My 14 year old met lots of other teens and this was their biggest gripe was there was really no where for them to hang out.
Please don't be scared by reading all the negatives, your vacation is what you make of it. Everyone is different and expectations are different. If you want a 5 star and want to be pampered this is definately not the place for you. If you are looking for a casual atmosphere than you will love it. Overall my family had a wonderful vacation and met tons of wonderful people. Hello to my Oklahoma newlywed friends who will be posting shortly.
Have fun at Sunset Beach everyone.

• Liked — Pools open all night
  • Disliked — Cruise ships pulling in and they take all our spots at the pool
12 Thank coachkeet
illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

We just returned from a 7 day stay at Sunset Beach and our visit was very good. We have traveled to other all-inclusives and this one was as good as the rest. Our 7 year old son loved the place! The waterslides were great, snorkeling was fabulous and he even asked to go to the kids club! As you've read in other review's, the food selection is limited. Our son is very picky and he always found something to eat. Most nights it was pasta with tomatoe sauce. As for the ketchup...I took a bottle just in case and I never opened it. The ketchup there is different but my son loved it. The french fries and grilled chees sandwiches at the grill were very good. Our son would not eat the hot dogs...they were strange. Be aware that there is 1 buffet restraurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The grill is only open for lunch and after the buffet closes for dinner.
As for the teen center....it is still under completion. There are some video games in there now but it is mostly vacant. I talked with the staff and by next year they will have a teen disco and daily teen activity schedule. Our teenager was quite disappointed with the teen center. Also, the pirate ship in the waterpark is not finished . As for the waterpark, it was wonderful but the tiles around the park get very slippery. I saw numerous kids fall and bump their heads. Make sure to bring water shoes.
We did one excursion and it was the white water rafting. Because of the 7 year old we took the easy trip...grade 2...and we all enjoyed it.
Overall we had a great time at this resort. It was very relaxed and no body was rude. The only people I saw being rude were the guests. This resort is not high end but for the kids it was wonderful. Our son is already talking about when we are going back. Feel free to email me any questions.

Kcebuhar@aol.com

• Liked — Family friendly,close to airport
  • Disliked — food choiced
  • Tips/Secrets — bring mugs,water shoes,clock
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,182 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!