“great fun with moderate facilities”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
A TripAdvisor Member
“great fun with moderate facilities”
Reviewed July 4, 2005

This was my 4th stay in Jamaica, but my first time in Montego Bay. I was told the resort had been remodeled, but come to find out, only the "towers" were remodeled. The room where I stayed (west wing) had peeling paint, the towels were mixed matched and I did not like that there was not Clocks in the rooms are on the resort. The one clock where you check in was not working. We had to call to the front desk several times for wash cloths and other items. However, if you asked in person, the service was better. The beach area was small and had plenty of jelly fish which stung my cousin several times. (The beaches in Negril are much better!!) The entertainment was below average. On a Saturday night they had bingo at 9 p.m. and there was nothing going on at 11 pm. We were enocuraged to go to a dance club outside the resort.

On a brighter note, the people were very friendly. I enjoyed being with my family and going on the different tours offered.

It is worth paying extra for a higher standard resort.

Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,433)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 4, 2005

My wife and I just returned (stayed 6/30 to 7/3); we were there for a wedding. This place had some good points and some bad points.

The Good:
-very very friendly, helpful staff
-very child friendly
-convenient to downtown Ocho Rios shopping and entertainment
-nice exercise facilities; all new equipment

The Bad:
-maybe TOO child friendly; some children and teenagers running wild in club and bar area unsupervised; not easy to "relax and have a drink" with minors hanging around
-smoking all over the place
-limited activities and entertainment; no snorkeling like we were promised; very amatuer live entertainers; sub-par dance club; slots not operating
-very small, dank rooms; especially for the price, not much better than an Econolodge or Howard Johnsons; constant damp odor in rooms
-still under construction; could hear hammering and powertools all night
-sub-par food; not much better than a high school cafeteria
-only 1 of the advertised 5 restaurants was actually open
-although very nice, staff sometimes "clueless"; not knowledgeable or trained to handle "real problems"

Overall, this place is currently a small, limited resort trying to operate on a "Grande" scale. But they just aren't there yet. Probably will be very nice once it's completed and some minor details are worked out. Until then, I would not return for another stay or recommend this to anyone.

Give them a year (or 2).

PS - also, DON'T fly Air Jamaica...our outbound "6 hour" trip actually took 14 hours, flights were cancelled or delayed for hours...luggage was "misplaced", damaged and items were taken from it...and they STILL don't seem to know what happened.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Louisiana
Reviewed July 4, 2005

Stayed at SBR 6/27 - 7/2/05 with friends and my 15 year old daughter. Prior to going, I read all the reviews pro/con of Jamaica and/or SBR. This was my first trip to Jamaica and I went with an open mind...I am very easy-going. First of all, if you want a laid back vacation where you don't keep track of time, this is the place to go. Jamaican people are very laid back. I found them to be very friendly and accommodating. We did come across some rude people, mostly at the airport, but we all have our bad days. The all-inclusive was great. I found the food to be good, yes, they did have a lot of the same thing daily, but lunch and dinner had different items on it everyday in addition to the usual. The food choices also catered to children. We especially enjoyed the fresh fruit available at breakfast, lunch and dinner. If anyone complains about the food, they need to go somewhere that's non all-inclusive and pay. The two restaurants were excellent and I would definitely recommend making reservations in advance to eat at both. One thing I regretted was bringing traveler's checks. Next time I would bring a small amount of cash $200 or so and use credit cards. When you used traveler's checks they wanted to give you cash back in Jamaican money. I would recommend a spa treatment, we had facials and massages. They are well worth the money and hey, this is vacation right? I would welcome any questions. I will definitely go back to Jamaica and would stay at SBR again.

11 Thank J8554EKtammyb
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed July 3, 2005

My wife and I went to SSB for our honeymoon in Oct. of last year. We did not know what to expect because of all the up and down reviews. Upopn arrival we were greeted with some punch while we waited to chek in. The check in only took about 10 min. or so. We were escorted to our room and asked if it was ok.

The open air lobby is wonderful. All sorts of activities going on. Nice place to relax if you need a breather.

The rooms were fine. I don't know what everyone is saying about the water pressure but it sure cleaned me off ok.

The buffet was pretty good. I tried a little of everything. the grill was very good when you wanted a late night snack. Jerk chicken is excellent. Dont have too much sauce, it is very spicy. Both resturaunts were very good as well.

Gotta go to Dunns river falls. Worth the money.

Drinks were very good and as strong as you wanted them to be. I did not have a problem with watered down drinks. We brought our own mugs and boy am I glad. I would have had to go back to the bar about 50 time a day. The cups are very small.

We Are returning with 6 other couples this year and hope they have as much of a good time as we did.

If you are looking for a high class place with snooty people, don't go here.
Everybody is down to earth and just wants you to have a good time.

• Stayed October 2004
9 Thank AceinAZ
Reviewed July 3, 2005

my husband and i with two kids ages 5 and 3 stayed at the sunset beach resort for three nights. The overall experience was was not that great. The layout of the resort was beautiful, the beach was clean but very rocky. The elevators were very foul smelling, due to the constant wetness from guests coming from the beach and pool. The two main problems that we had with the resort was with alot of the guests smoking in all the public areas. You would think that with all the small kids and babies around management would have a secluded area where the smokers would have their cigarette. Why should other guests be subjected to second hand smoking all day long when it is a health hazard. This is the only resort that i have been to that the guests could smoke where ever they want. Our floor was supposedly non smoking but there was an ash tray right outside of the elevator. The food was the worst thing at this resort. I would get stomach cramps after eating all meals. Some of the breakfast items were stale and dinner was the worst. I would not even give this hotel a 2 star. The jamaica Grande resort in ocho rios is about the same rate for the all inclusive and it is much better. For entertainment they had stupid kids games most of the time and a few live bands some nights.When visitors travel to jamaica they want to experience jamaican culture and dancing to the electric slide is not or listening to some 1980`s r&b music all day. I would not recommend this resort to anyone who wants to visit jamaica

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2005

My wife and I stayed at Sunset from 6/18-6/23/05. We were in one of the towers. I strongly suggest a tower if you want a view. We had an ocean, bay, and mountain view all from our balcony...perfect view. The rooms are old but ours was very clean. We had to have our key card lock fixed on our door and also water that was running down the wall from our air conditioner. Both were fixed very quickly. The water pressure was fine, we had plenty of hot water, and the water is safe to drink. We drank gallons of it! The food at the resort was excellent!! There are different things on the buffet to each each day or you can make reservations at the oriental or Italian restaurant. All of the workers were very friendly to us as were the guests. The beach was never crowded beacuse the resort is so spread out. Take water shoes and a snorkel if you want to see the most amazing colored fish. They do have some snorkels but you can only take them out for 1 hour. Keep in mind, this is not a regular beach like Maryland or Florida. There is a coral reef in the water so you need something on your feet. Also there are lots of sea urchins but they will not bother you...they just sit tucked away in the rocks. Don't try to touch one unless you want medical attention! I saw only 1 jellyfish, a very small one, in 5 days of snorkeling. The resort which is also known as a compound was surrounded by walls and you come and leave through a guarded gate. The resort itself was very safe. Keep in mind, Jamaica is a 3rd world country. When you leave the compound, you will see vast amounts of poverty and it was a little scary shopping downtown. I had many people offering to sell me drugs. Many of the tour drivers along with the locals drive "extremely fast and unsafe." There are no lines painted on the roads, no berms to pull off, and all roads are very bumpy. All roads are 1 lane each way...and there is still lots of passing going on. If you get a room with a mountain view, you will see many "shacks" on the surrounding mountains in which a lot of them live in. It was quite an experience and we really enjoyed most of it.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2005

My family and I visited SSB from 06/17 to 06/22/05. There was a group of 6 of us My husband our 2 children, my cousin and is wife. The food was good, the rooms were kept clean and the staff was very friendly. We arrive at about 10 am which was about 45 minutes earlier that our scheduled time. Although check in time is 3pm we only had to wait about 1 hour for our room. I have provided a breakdown below.

The rooms: The rooms were kept clean. We had fresh towels and sheets everyday. We were in the tower room A1013. We had a great view. I guess my only complaint about the tower would be waiting on the elevators. Waiting for the elevators on 10th floor was sometimes long especially during busy hours with people checking in and out.

The Staff: The staff was very friendly. I think we just about learned everyone’s name even some of the security guards. The best bartenders were Kenroy, Alexander, Raymond, and Jermaine. Kenroy found out we were from Chicago and wanted us to help promote participation at the Disco. The turnout that night was the best in a long time according to Kenroy. We turned it into Margaritaville. We made some new friends from Gary Indiana, Virginia Beach, Pittsburg and Philadelphia. Everyone had a nice time.

The Food: The food was good. We liked both restaurants but I believe the Chinese is better especially if you have children with you. There were a lot of things on the menu that my children didn’t care for at the Italian restaurant. I had to pick and choose for them. They mostly lived at the beach grill. They loved the grilled cheeses, cheeseburgers and hotdogs. Me, I loved the Jerk chicken, it was the best I ever had. The buffet to me was ok. Not much to choose from. We mostly ate only breakfast there. The special made omelets were the best. After a while the grill becomes old eating the same things everyday. We were almost tempted to go to KFC for something a little different.

The activities: There were plenty of things to do. It was so hot there the four of us spent our day hours in the pool just to keep cool. Don’t forget your sun block. My husband and I rode the paddle boats, he kayaked and fell off the kayak (that was so funny…hahaha). We played beach and pool volleyball, he played in a basketball tournament with my son and cousin. We also played pool. The Kids Klub is geared toward smaller children. My children are 12 and would not have dared to enter the Kids Klub. We didn’t have to worry about them at all they made lots of friends that they spent most of their time with. Although we all had fun I believe we would have had more fun if the water park was open. There was a live band every night and a beach party with dances and activities.

The Resort: I believe this is a fun place to visit for the price. We all had a nice time and I would return, (only with the children). Although we made a lot of new friends my husband and I prefer more of an adults/couples only atmosphere. That’s why we’re planning maybe Hedonism for next year with some of new friends.
Why not be wicked for a while you only live once.

• Stayed June 2005
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!