“Not what were expected for a 5 star”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Madison, Wisconsin
“Not what were expected for a 5 star”
Reviewed February 23, 2005

This place was not what we expected. When it says it's a five star place I guess we kind of expected to be one and it's more like a three star. The place is just okay. The beds are hard, pillows are like pancakes, rooms are clean but could us some minor repairs. We had a cochrach in our room the first morning. The next morning we didn't have any running hot water. The elevators took about 15 minutes to come one day, you can take the stairs but there's 11 stories. The entertainment was just below our room in the evening and VERY LOUD until 11pm. The beach is long and narrow but pretty nice. There were lots of Jelly Fish everywhere and although we didn't go snorkeling because of the jelly fish it looks like it could be very good because it's a marine preserve, lots of coral. The workers were not the friendliest. The buffet was average and it was very difficult to get a table and keep it. If you all went to get something to eat at the same time someone would take your table. The restuarants were very good. The Snack bar was a winner with Hamburgers, Hot dogs, Grilled Cheese, Fries and Cheese dogs. The pool/beach loungers were very stretched out, so it made it alittle difficult to lay on your stomach. (just use towels to fill in the holes) Remember to take insulated mugs to keep your drinks cold longer. The power went off at prime time to get ready for the evening for about 1 1/2 hrs. There were no minibars in your room. One day after breakfast we went to the pool and beach to find chairs for the day and there were none. It was because the hotel makes a deal with the cruise ships that come in for the day. The people from the cruise can stay at the resort all-inclusive for $20 for the day and then that makes the resort overfull and very difficult to get a table to eat and get a chair for the day. The resort is fine but we wouldn't go back there again until it was extremely cheap or free. The vacation was fine because we were not at home in the snow or at work. So all in all it was okay just to be away in the sun. The bonus of the hotel is the location from the airport and the hot tub.

• Stayed January 2005
8 Thank mtravelbud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,457)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia
Reviewed February 22, 2005

Stayed at Sunset Beach & Resort with 30 girls (our big girls trip) without hubbies & Kids. I've been to many places over the years and I have to say this was by far the worst resort I've ever been too. I can't believe they even call it a resort, its more like a camp hell. The food was so bad that when I arrived home i had lost weight. If you like jerk chicken, you'll do ok but I however hated it. breakfast consisted of watery eggs, soggy breads, and fruit, fruit and more fruit. Lunch was burgers, burgers and more burgers, thats about it. the dinners sucked too. Entertainment was a band that played jamanican music only, nothing american that you could sing to or dance too. And entertainment was done at ll:00 every night. After 3 nights of it we were dying for anything besides that. The nightclub at the hotel was so dam cold & dark that you needed a mink coat just to stay in there, we had to keep running outside just to warm up. the staff was rude and turned their backs to you if you didn't tip Ever time you went up for a drink. We tipped $20.00 which to them only qualified for service on 2 drinks then it was back to them turning their backs on you at the bar unless you tipped again. It was disgusting especially since this is supposed to be a No Tipping resort. i wouldn't stay there again if it were given to me for FREE. I couldn't wait to go home. The only nice thing was the ocean water and the fruit both of which you can get anywhere. Oh the rooms were run down and we had to pleasure of rooming with the local bugs in the bathrooms, under the beds, it was horrible. I have nothing to loose or gain by giving you my honest opinion of this place. Wish I had read these boards before we went to this place. I'll never travel again without first researching my choice. Stay ANYWHERE but here.

5 Thank JustaPhillyGirl
Maple Shade, New Jersey
Reviewed February 22, 2005

I have been to Jamaica several times. I have found there are two types of people, those who need catering to and those who are more anything goes. Well, I am definitly anything goes person so fitting I stay at a resort with a anything goes feeling. SSB is not for those needing white glove treatment, it is for those who want to relax, have fun and participate when it is good for them. The rooms are mediocre, but I am a woman of little sleep so as long as the shower works and there's pillows on my bed, I'm good. The food was okay, I would of liked to have more Jamaican dishes, but once again, I am a woman who will get what she wants, I got beef patties, fried fish, ackee and salt fish at a local place. The resort is what you make it to be. Just enjoy your time there and interact with the staff. Those who feel the staff is not attentive are those who are too demanding. I don't know how many times I heard during my week vacationers being rude to the staff because they didn't provide them with the things they needed fast enough. If you are nice to them and treat them with respect they will treat you like kings and queens.
So if you have doubts about going to SSB, go, enjoy yourself, love the people, love the island, try the food and have a ting! It's Irie!

12 Thank joujoukim
Washington D.C.
Reviewed February 18, 2005

Nice place for the money. We were there for 5 nights just before Valentines Day. We went there to relax and we really did. Thought the food was good, both restaurants and the buffet. The place was kept clean. I agree with some of the reviews in that the bed was hard, but basically I thought the room was OK and the prices overall were very reasonable. I would go back. I know some people there were not happy, but there's always a better place, so I suppose it depends on what your expectations are. The one thing that got to me though was some of the guests -- there was one family that put their son (less than two years old) in the jacuzzi, which was very hot that night. I know the attitude of the place was no problem, man, but they should do something to protect kids from ignorant parents. The shopping trip to the city in my mind was not worth it -- too many people trying to sell the same stuff and trying to get you to buy pot.

6 Thank hoops
Waupun, WI
Reviewed February 15, 2005

My sister and I stayed at this resort to celebrate her 10 year bone marrow transplant birthday. We had a wonderful time. We only stayed for three nights (and that is not long enough). We had excellent service everywhere we went. The beach is a little rocky in spots, but you can walk the entire stretch of beach without shoes. You'll just need to walk around the rocks. There are plenty of lounge chairs for you to use at the beach. While we were there, the weather wasn't all that great. Don't get me wrong, anything beats snow and temps in the 20's, but it was really windy, and when the sun went under the clouds we had to cover up with our towels. Of course the day we left it was absolutely gorgeous. The water sports were closed when we were there due to the high winds, so I can't report on that, but they do have kayaks, paddle boats, and someone was talking about sail boats. The Chinese restaurant was very good with great service (try the Chicken stir-fry - yummy). Make sure you make reservations when you first check in. We didn't go to the Itailan restaurant, because they had a seafood buffet at the Bananna Walk Buffet that night, but I heard the Italian restaurant was even better than the Chinese. I would have liked to hear more reggae music. They mostly played american songs with a reggae style. It was kind of strange. The entertainment was pretty good. They had an Elvis show one night and that was very good. The drinks, service, location, everything was great. I would definately go back, but next time, for at least 4-5 nights.

3 Thank trisnstein
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2005

Sunset beach was a nice, laid back place. The drinks flowed freely, beautiful. The water was a bit cold both in the pool and ocean, but warmed up once you got used to it. There's only one hot tub, it's pretty big and all during the day it's swarming with young children so I can only imagine how much urine is floating around in it. If I saw them cleaning it maybe I'd be... more enticed. The buffet was good but what saved my --- was the amazing jerk chicken and grilled cheese sandwiches. MY GOD i love the jerk sauce!

Be sure to drink some of the fruit punch while you're there.

The rooms... some are nicer than others. We moved rooms during our stay to be higher up in the tower with an ocean view. it was a much nicer room the 2nd one we were in. The showers and water pressure do suck, but hey what are you going to do. Not of much consequence as it turns out.

I was expecting a lot more out of the snorkelling situation, but the water seemed to be fairly murky for a ways out... the diversity of fish wasn't what I was hoping for, but it was still lovely and fun.

I spent a good five days stoned off my ---, drunk, laying on the beach, it was like one long corona commercial. It was all totally lovely and I would recommend sunset beach to others. But it's true.. the nightlife is pretty non existant. And if you're female, and with your man, don't let him lose sight of you for a second because some of the bartenders are more than eager to suggest a short romp in the bushes. Hahahaha

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal Quebec
Reviewed February 12, 2005

My wife and i just returned yesterday from the Sunset beach resort and spa. Let me tell you this place was amazing. I have been to the caribbean 7 times before and this place did not disappoint. The first thing to remember is you make or break your trip. Go in with an open mind and remmeber your on vacation. The rooms were clean and spacious enough. We had an ocean front view room in tower A. Nothing beats rolling over in bed in the morning and seeing the crystal blue ocean and sun!! The staff were pleasant and friendly, i wanted to take some of them home with me. The food was great. I ate like a king. The beach grill had awesome jerk chicken, and grilled cheese. The was always something happening..beach volleyball, tennis lessons, drinking compitions, reggae lessons, etc.. The beaches themselves were great for snorkelling. I went out almost everyday and saw some truly amazing underwater scenery. The beaches have rocks and seaweed so do take along watershoes just to be safe. We did a cool catamaran trip with an open bar and awesome cruise staff. That was something to never forget. We also took a day trip to the Black River and YS falls which was pretty informative and gave you a good idea of how the Jamaicans go about their daily lives. You couldn't pay me to drive in this country though!!! It's NUTS!!!! All in all i had a blast. I mean what more could you want..sand, sun, and a unlimited supply YEAH MON to make your trip truly enjoyable. i stayed in Jamaican in 2000 at the Sandals Mo. bay and this place for the value can't be beat. I really can't find any negative things to say...maybe that's just me..i went with an open mind and found a place i truly enjoyed. Relax and have fun..your on vacation and God knows we have all earned it!!!! IRIE MON!!!! Oh yeah you have to try the food at the 2 a la carte restaurants, you won't be disappointed!!! email me if you have any questions.

14 Thank Kevin G
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#17 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!