“Good Time At Sunset Beach”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good Time At Sunset Beach”
Reviewed February 15, 2005

Sunset beach was a nice, laid back place. The drinks flowed freely, beautiful. The water was a bit cold both in the pool and ocean, but warmed up once you got used to it. There's only one hot tub, it's pretty big and all during the day it's swarming with young children so I can only imagine how much urine is floating around in it. If I saw them cleaning it maybe I'd be... more enticed. The buffet was good but what saved my --- was the amazing jerk chicken and grilled cheese sandwiches. MY GOD i love the jerk sauce!

Be sure to drink some of the fruit punch while you're there.

The rooms... some are nicer than others. We moved rooms during our stay to be higher up in the tower with an ocean view. it was a much nicer room the 2nd one we were in. The showers and water pressure do suck, but hey what are you going to do. Not of much consequence as it turns out.

I was expecting a lot more out of the snorkelling situation, but the water seemed to be fairly murky for a ways out... the diversity of fish wasn't what I was hoping for, but it was still lovely and fun.

I spent a good five days stoned off my ---, drunk, laying on the beach, it was like one long corona commercial. It was all totally lovely and I would recommend sunset beach to others. But it's true.. the nightlife is pretty non existant. And if you're female, and with your man, don't let him lose sight of you for a second because some of the bartenders are more than eager to suggest a short romp in the bushes. Hahahaha

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Polish first
Montreal Quebec
Reviewed February 12, 2005

My wife and i just returned yesterday from the Sunset beach resort and spa. Let me tell you this place was amazing. I have been to the caribbean 7 times before and this place did not disappoint. The first thing to remember is you make or break your trip. Go in with an open mind and remmeber your on vacation. The rooms were clean and spacious enough. We had an ocean front view room in tower A. Nothing beats rolling over in bed in the morning and seeing the crystal blue ocean and sun!! The staff were pleasant and friendly, i wanted to take some of them home with me. The food was great. I ate like a king. The beach grill had awesome jerk chicken, and grilled cheese. The was always something happening..beach volleyball, tennis lessons, drinking compitions, reggae lessons, etc.. The beaches themselves were great for snorkelling. I went out almost everyday and saw some truly amazing underwater scenery. The beaches have rocks and seaweed so do take along watershoes just to be safe. We did a cool catamaran trip with an open bar and awesome cruise staff. That was something to never forget. We also took a day trip to the Black River and YS falls which was pretty informative and gave you a good idea of how the Jamaicans go about their daily lives. You couldn't pay me to drive in this country though!!! It's NUTS!!!! All in all i had a blast. I mean what more could you want..sand, sun, and a unlimited supply YEAH MON to make your trip truly enjoyable. i stayed in Jamaican in 2000 at the Sandals Mo. bay and this place for the value can't be beat. I really can't find any negative things to say...maybe that's just me..i went with an open mind and found a place i truly enjoyed. Relax and have fun..your on vacation and God knows we have all earned it!!!! IRIE MON!!!! Oh yeah you have to try the food at the 2 a la carte restaurants, you won't be disappointed!!! email me if you have any questions.

14 Thank Kevin G
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 10, 2005

We stayed at the Sunset Resort from Jan 23, 2005 to Jan 31 2005. I was diappointed with the rooms, they definitely need an upgrade. You had to stand right under the shower head in order to get a shower. We ate at the two speciality restaurants and the food and service was excellent there but the food at the buffet was very bland. They need new toasters unless you wanted to wait 10 minutes to get your bread toasted. We found the clerks at the gift shop were not very friendly and didn't seem to care if they waited on you or not. The water in the pool was cold, people didn't even seem to be using it and the beaches were rocky. I had so looked forward to this vacation but I was disappointed.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 9, 2005

My husband and I were married at this resort and it was a dream come true. All we had to do was to pick out the flowers and some songs and the rest was taken care of. It was a beautiful ceremony. Everyone does their part to make sure the day is special. Natalie, the wedding coordinator, is awesome. My flowers were spectacular as were the pictures and the wedding video. I was very nervous about planning a wedding like this and deciding on which resort to bring my 38 guests. I made the right decision in choosing Sunset Beach. It was more than I imagined.

The resort has beautiful beaches and gardens. The grounds are kept very clean and manicured. The pool bars are a lot of fun, but it is true the pool was very cold. It got kind of cool at night maybe that is why the pools were so cold. The sea was definately warmer. The wait staff, bar tenders, housekeeping, and entertainment staff are great.

If you are planning a wedding here you won't be disappointed. This resort was great at accomodating our mixed group of people. We had children, teenagers, parents, grandparents and everything in between. We all had a great time. Once the waterpark is open this place will be even better!!

15 Thank caribbeanbride
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed February 8, 2005

My husband and I were at Sunset Beach from 2/3-2/6 and had a great time. I, like many others, were a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews but this hotel was most definately worth the trip. Everyone was so nice and went out of their way to make sure we were happy. The rooms are basic--but they were cleaned daily and it was a decent place to lay our heads at the end of the day. The beaches are a bit rocky but the water was awesome! Bring water shoes because they're $15 in the gift shop!! The food was good--the omelettes in the Banana Walk were great and the jerk chicken at the Grill was mouth watering! We're already talking about going back and taking our kids next time. There was a mixture of people there--families, couples, groups, etc. It's a comfy place for anyone and everyone. If you've never been to Jamaica be prepared...it's a very poor country. Oh, and though we didn't have to tip at the Resort people outside of the resort will straight out tell you that you need to tip them and will let you know if they don't think you've given enough (took us by suprise!) but the employees of the resort are gracious for whatever you hand them. Loved it!!!

• Stayed February 2005
26 Thank brandonsmommy
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 6, 2005

My husband & I got married at this resort! It was unbelievable-the best trip ever! We had 50 guests- that traveled with us! Our wedding ceremony was beautiful- they set up chairs for our guests & played the music we wanted. The Pastor was so inspiring & made the ceremony perfect. The wedding planner thought we were uptight for asking so many questions (but that is b/c they are just so laid back) However the laid back style did not reflect the way the wedding was handled. I picked out the flowers when we got there. We got a couples massage the day of then I showered & got my hair done at the salon. The photographer was so great, & we got the pictures back before we left along with the negatives-wow they turned out so great! The reception was buffet style for the guests & an open bar. We had our dinners served to us & we took the traditional cutting the cake pics & first dance, etc... The dance was fabulous & the dj made sure the whole bunch had fun! We brought our own cd's but the dj had quite a few as well- no problem man! (an additional $1000 for everything from the dj, the bar, the food, the cake, the minister, the photographer, the taxes & fees, the planner for 50 people-it was a great deal & don't worry mon!) The day after the wedding our group rented a private catamaran for our group that took us snokerling & to Margaretaville! What a blast! & only $30/person! If you are getting married & have questions about this resort, feel free to email me & I will try to get back to you as soon as possible!

8 Thank AJS180581
Minneapolis
Reviewed February 6, 2005

Stayed at the Sunset 2/2/05-2/5/05, for the value the hotel is not bad. Most of the reviews are right, small rooms with hard beds, but who stays in there room besides to sleep? The food is ok, the grill and Italian restaurant are good, the buffet is average, breakfest is good. The pool is freezing cold, so swim in the ocean. The night club is a joke, as well as the pub. Don't even bother. Entertainment was pretty good. Expect locals sitting on the other side of the fence all day selling drugs. Overall it was a good hotel for the price, and close to the airport.

5 Thank jaycoxryan
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#17 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!