“Home away from home” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2004

On our second visit to Sunset Beach, it was confirmed - the resort is like our Jamaican home away from home. The staff is very polite, helpful, accomodating and informative. Felicia was just a delight as one of the activity coordinators and there is never a dull moment unless you want to take one. We found the housekeeping staff to be very efficient and honest. The hotel threw a party for the returning guests including delicious food and gifts. ALL food and drinks are inclusive - there is very little left to pay for (Spa services, internet access, etc. are very reasonably priced) Sunset Beach is highly recommended by us. We plan to return next August.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,375)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2004

The Hotel is amazing!! It has something for everyone. I am actually writing this from the hotel! There are three pools, 3 private beaches, internet lounge, game room, a Casino and so much more! The beach grill is really nice! They have an italian and chinese restraunt that you need to be semi-formal for. YOU NEED WATER SHOES! The stones in the ocean will hurt your feet! The staff is so friendly!!! It's a beautiful hotel and I recommend it to everyone!!!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2004

We recently returned from our honeymoon at Sunset Beach. We had a blast, but we do have a few complaints.....first off we had to wait almost three hours before our room was ready. Once checked in we loved our room, with a beautiful view, and the housekeepers were very friendly and helpful.
The front desk help was very rude.
Most of the bartenders were great...slip them a few bucks and you will have great drinks for your whole stay!
Be careful if you are swimming in the ocean. I got stung by a stingray while I was there and the nurse was not helpful at all! She couldn't even tell me what had stung me. There were also lots of jellyfish....actually thousands of jellyfish and sea urchins.
I wouldn't reccomend this resort if you are on your honeymoon....there are so many kids that it got to be a little frustrating!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2004

First of all I want to give a very huge shout out to Ray who definitely gets the job done. He makes you feel like family not like a customer. Leland I hope that you see this review and remember my sister's and I and know that I continue to pray for you. I took vacation at the Montego Bay-Sunset Beach Resort and Spa in May of 2004. It was excellent. It is the place to go if you are going for family fun, honeymooners, vacation, relaxation, privacy and even some threw caution to the wind and decided to come alone. I know this because while there, myself and four other sister's we got to know people. It was not a place where you found snobish people. It is a place where people got to know one another if only to see them for a few days and maybe never again in your life. The staff was friendly and eager to please. It was not only the week of mother's day but my oldest sister's birthday and they did everything they could to help us make sure that her day was special even going so far as to make her favorite birthday cake for her due to the fact that there were no bakeries we could find that had the cake available. Myself and my sister's indeed intend to vacation there again. I would definitely recommend this resort for adults as well as kids. They have a full days schedule available for kids seperate from the adults day of scheduled events. I was never more pleased. They are also very attentative to the upkeep of the grounds and the rooms. They also have so many things that you can do off of the grounds of the resort for a small fee. Your time will be filled with excitement, partying, or if privacy is what you want they make sure that there are areas for just that. While there my sister's and I were able to witness four or five weddings at the gazebo with such beauty and its surrounding floral make it even more the site for a dream come true wedding. So if you are looking for the place for privacy, entertainment, beauty, partying, and even a full schedule for your kids when you and your spouse what that private time this is the place to go. I myself being a hard one to please at times, was very please with my time spent at the resort.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2004

We stayed at this resort from July 29 - August 5. We went with our neighbors and a close friend. My neighbors had visited this resort once or twice before (can't remember how many times). We knew going into the trip that this was not a 5 star resort as many people have indicated before me and to be honest, for the price, how could you expect it?

We had a good time. As many have mentioned, the food is average...we always found something to eat...the Chinese and Italian restaurants were both excellent (in my opinion) and we ate lunch at the outside grill each day (Cheeseburgers & Fries).

The rooms were average. We stayed in tower A on the fourth floor facing the ocean. We had a great view, but as others have mentioned, it can be a little loud in the evenings, as you can hear the music from the evening entertainment. This wasn't a problem for us...we were either downstairs enjoying the festivities or outside on the balcony listening to it...I believe it ended around midnight each night...maybe sooner...can't remember. One thing to remember...there was no alarm clock in the room, so don't forget to bring one...not necessarily for the alarm clock, but if you are like me and like to know what time it is when you wake up, it usually comes in handy. We did receive a wake up call at 6 a.m. despite requesting one...we just laughed and fell back asleep...hope nobody missed their plane...

Both friends we went with switched rooms once we arrived (a day or so later). The water pressure in our room wasn't too bad...we were able to take decent showers...despite what others have said...my friend (who came by himself) actually had the biggest room (although not oceanfront) -- his bathroom was twice the size of ours and the room seemed a little bigger...but again, he was not ocean front...The maids cleaned the rooms and changed the linens every day. The beds were a little firm, but we managed...no problem, really...

it appeared the entire resort was under construction for the most part...the kids pool is under construction...mini golf? Basically wooden planks w/ grass growing through the hole (non playable to say the least). The game room was certainly nothing to brag about, but we had a great time playing ping-pong. We talked to a man who had been at the resort for a year and a half who is working nearby. He said the food is generally better during the winter months (october - march) and is usually a little quieter then too...

I went scuba diving for the first time in my life. We used resort divers at Holiday Inn Sunspree. They were great...it didn't hurt that my neighbor (certified diver) knew the dive instructor from his many previous visits to Grand Lido Negril. I paid $85 for the initial course which included 1 dive. I then paid $40 for each dive after. I went two other times. Each dive was considered a shallow dive which took us down nearly 60 feet.

Holiday Inn Sunspree didn't look that great to me and a few people we dove with mentioned they liked Sunset Beach better (for what it's worth).

The fitness center was certainly adequate. I typically work out 4-5 times/week at home and was able to make due the 7 nights we were there. There are free weights, a bench, a few machines, two tread mills, and two stationary bikes.

The beaches were nice...we were able to find a hut each day, although I would recommend arriving fairly early if you are picky about where you like to stay. The nude beach is all nude, not topless...they have a guard at the bar on that side of the resort making sure people on the au natural beach were completely nude...there were plenty of "topless" sunbathers not on the au natural beach on the side farthest from the resort...it was also more peaceful on that side as well...

the water was nice...with the exception of the jellyfish...I never saw or heard anyone getting stung, but it was impossible to snorkel w/out seeing them. A few idiots thought they could throw them all on the beach and "save everyone" --- which seemed kind of cruel to me...especially since it seemed like there was more of a risk of stepping on them on the beach rather than taking your chances in the water...The kayaking and paddleboats were fun too!

****ONE FINAL NOTE --- PLEASE READ!!! Early on our vacation, my neighbor found a mens wedding band. There is an inscription on the inside of the band. We would like to get this ring to the rightful owner, as I am sure it is very important to them. We went to the front desk to see if they would help us locate the owners and they were no help at all. The ring is brand new and I am convinced it was lost on the honeymoon (of course, the inscription solidifies my assumption)...Please email me if you think this may belong to you...you must describe what the ring looks like and what the inscription on the ring is before I will release it.****we will be happy to help get the ring back to you!!!!

All in all we had a great time...again, it isn't five star, but for the price, we got what we were expecting, which was a nice, relaxing vacation...

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2004

Let me say that I am not easily impressed, pleased or satisfied but I will admit that I am addicted to Sunset Beach Resort & Spa!!! & they say, the 1st step to a cure is admitting it. Well, if there's a cure for this, I DON'T WANT IT! No 12 steps for me unless they lead to the Sunset Beach Resort & Spa!!!

There is nothing like the sight of the cooling sun kissing the carribean sea good night casting vibrant hues of violet, orange & dusky blue on the horizon. Ahhhhh! It's so incredible that you feel compelled to watch it every night during your stay & so beautiful that you dream of it when you return home but you can't get that view just anywhere in the world or anywhere else in the carribean for that matter.

I don't know what those folks are looking for who are so negative about this place because I can answer the question 'How Far Is Heaven?' If your are on the resort right at sunset, looking out over the water, trust me it's in your line of vision but if you happen to miss the sunset, watch the moon waltz over the waves, take a deep breath & inhale the balmy breeze & faint floral fragrances wafting accross the grounds as the night air fills with light jazzy beats. Relax Mon!

We had this experience last yr for my daughter's graduation & this yr, we invited friends & family, 12 in total ranging in age from 19 to 62 & I can honestly say everyone found their own personal little piece of paradise right there on the resort. The watersports equipment needs to be replaced but there is just so much for everyone to do from pampers to puberty & back again that it's kind of hard to become bored!

The all inclusive features of this resort allow people with a curiosity for cuisine to indulge in exotic dining while still providing a ample supply of staple foods like grilled cheese, hamburgers & fries. Although, it took a bit of wrangling to get a reservation at one of their speciality restaurants, sampling the feature cocktail of the day set the mood to kick back & chill.

The rooms are inviting, comfortable & clean & once you learn your way around, it feels like home! Check-in was hectic & the managerial staff could have been a little more helpful & less focused on their titles (a matter that I will take up with them personally) overall, if you are taking a holiday to relax, explore, unwind, stimulate your mind this is the spot in the sun for you!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2004

I've traveling to Ja. since 1985. Lived there from 90-95
Since SSB opened, I visit 2-3 times per year. I had a FREE stay at Ritz Carlton aand left after 3 days moving into the SSB.
The Gardenview rooms in the Inn are great. The service is excellent and the staff is accomadating. SSB offers a free trip after your 10th visit.
I suggest that people call direct and ask for the gardenview room near the pool for the best rooms. Travelers with children should remember that there is a NUDE beach at SSB. If they book a garden view, the children never see the nudity.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,782 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!