“jamaica yeah mon!”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“jamaica yeah mon!”
Reviewed June 9, 2004

i was in jamaica from april 27th- may 11th and it was wicked i wouldn't trade this island and hotel for nothing. i was a little worried that i wouldn't enjoy it because i didn't know what to expect the staff on arrival was very helpful, mannerable and kind. the entertainment was great but sometimes events were repeated. the hotel was very far from town so it was hard to leave and the shops on site was very expensive your better off going into town. the food was aimed mostly at american so you couldnt realy get to try the traditional jamaican food which was a little disappointing. Margaritaville was ok but not what i would call great it was too tourismly aimed, the club in sunset was better. the rooms were very big and the balcony was nice. the weather was wicked and the cocktails had me saying YEAH MON!!! the staff work very hard to mak ya vacation enjoyable. the beach was beautif ul it felt like paradise i met some really nice people on the trips away. the excursions are very expensive but the best one is the cruise to dunns river and the white witch house jamaica im coming back and to all the people at sunset keep up the good work I'LL BE BACK YEAH MON!!!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,457)
  • Polish first
Wynantskill, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2004

For the money we paid, this place is not what it portrays, 1. rooms were very outdated and slightly disgusting 2. ocean front and beach front are the same so don't pay the extra. 3 Food is ok, not as bad as other islands. 4. staff are friendly for the most part, some act like they hate their job, mainly bartenders, housekeeping and the front desk staff were the best. The main bar ran out of beer early each the afternoon, they opened at 10am ? most other bars had beer? forget about top shelf it doesn't exist. Bring your own cups if you like to drink, they serve you in small plastic cups, usually gets warm before you drink it. Casino there are winners! 5.Entertainment was the best, started early afternoon with music and then nightly house band, worth every minute. 6. Beaches various go to the end, before the nude beach, best people and bartender, especially if you left the children home. IF the price is right ,alot of activity, family oriented.

I have no idea how this resort became a 4, impossible., should be listed as a 2. Construction all day long, and at night our air conditioner needed to be turned to low due to the loud irritating noise it made, THIS PLACE IS NOT FOR HONEYMOONERS. This is my third trip to Jamacia and I love the island, but would not return to SUNSET.

1 Thank rnte266
Reviewed June 8, 2004

I am one of the 49 women that attended this vacation package. If I could discribe this vacation in one word it would be MAGNIFICANT. The service was great however there was one complaint and that is that they charge you for making a call even if you don't get through to your party. My room mate incured an enormous bill trying to call home and was unable to get through. Other than that I can't wait to return. This is truly a beautiful place were you can enjoy and really RELAXATION!!!!, or PARTY.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2004

My Wife and I went to Sunset Beach on May 18th for 2 weeks on our honeymoon and first visit to Jamaica.

Upon arrival I was astounded to see such a beautiful reception lobby area and a nice welcome drink in the humid weather! The staff at the desk were really nice apart from one lady who was plain miserable the whole time we stayed there. We cheekily Carlene (who was lovely) if we could have a nice room overlooking the sea seeing it was our honeymoon nd first time to the island! (Try it costs nothing to ask!) And were we not disappointed! We stayed in Tower A room 611 and had the most fantastic view of the Caribbean! Simply beautiful and only about 40 feet away!

The room was a bit basic but having read reviews beforehand we kind of expected it. Still it was far far better than some of the accomodation we are used to when holidaying in Spain/Greece etc, i.e big super kingsize bed and cable tv (which it turned out due to the horrendous weather was a godsend sometimes and before you ask, no we didn't watch tv ALL the time in the room!!!) Room was also cleaned daily by a very friendly maid.

And now the rest....

Chinese restaurant was beautiful - really nice food we didn't bother with the Italian as there was nothing there that we recognised.

Banana Walk - Now here was the problem.. Food was VERY hit and miss, some lunches and dinners were great and others not so great. I.e Curried Goat and Fish Soup don't whet my appetite... However there was quite a lot of varied food, very Americanised as you'd probably guess given the proximity of Jamaica to the USA.

Bars & Entertainment: The Barstaff and Entertainment staff were incredible, they really go out of their way to make you happy, we did tip a couple of barstaff as we really got to know them, and always got you a drink if you ran dry. Basically if you're friendly and courteous to them, they are to you. House band 'Elements' are a great band, and they also have some special guest singers who were all fantastic. AJ Brown appeared whilst we were there, he is FANTASTIC!

I wish I'd taken notice of people advising to bring a large mug with them.. You HAVE to take one! I thought I'd feel foolish bringing one with me, but EVERYONE had them! Those small plastic cups (just like what you get from a water cooler - so it's like 4 cups for one large beer/pint). We ended up buying 2 for $12US each at the small shop in the complex. They also sell English newspapers (Daily Mail) but they wanted $8US for a 2 day old newspaper!!!!! Naturally I didn't bother)

Beach was nice and clean, there are a few small pebble/small rocks near the coast but we never bothered with water shoes and it was ok. You can get fresh beach towels from the towel hut, but do NOT lose your laminated towel ticket or they'll charge you $15US!!! IN fact if you lose your safety deposit key they charge $100US!!!!!!

Anyway.. Ignore the negative comments..It aint Sandals... if you're after fun, something cheap, a lovely clean resort, very friendly people,not too fussed on the food or the room you will love it here! We did and plan to go back for our 1st Anniversary next year.

3 Thank TheAnalogKid
Reviewed June 7, 2004

I just returned from Sunset, I stayed from May 28-June 1. My husband and I had a great time. After getting off the plane I showed my travel documents and was escorted to the bus to take us to Sunset everyone at the airport was pleasant ( I did tip). As soon as we arrived to the resort we were given rum punch before we had a room key. The lobby was gorgeous the appearance was very clean. The room was moderate but I do suggest upgrading to the oceanfront. It is absolutely breathtaking to wake up and see the ocean every morning. We stayed in Tower A which is located near everything, If you want more seclusion ask to stay in the Inn. The Banana Walk was good sometimes it was fantastic sometimes it was okay, but there was always something to satisfy your hunger. The grill was also good, I loved the burgers. The two reservation restaurants were outstanding, Botecelli was incredible. My favorite spot was the pool bar, be sure to ask for the Raymond Twister, the Hummingbird and Miami Vice were also good. The beaches are wonderful, be sure to go out to the reef. You do need water shoes and a mug. You do not need plenty of clothes pack more bathing suits than clothes except for the restaurants. There is a disco, an english pub, and a spa. Someone stated there wasn't an ATM there is one in the lobby that distributes American money along with a $6 fee. We went on a private tour of Montego Bay with a Juta taxi, it was very safe and you can get more for your money when shopping if you go the craft market (the hotel sponsored tour does not take you there). All in all when we return we will take our children there is plenty to do for everyone. Have fun MON. This place is great!!!

2 Thank Lateshya E
Reviewed June 7, 2004

I was a bit apprehensive having not been to Jamaica or an all inclusive before. But I have to be honest it was the best holiday of my life. The accommodation was okay, just about what I expected for the price. The food was a bit of a problem for me though. Being quite fussy, many of the dishes were too rich and localised for me. Perhaps catering a bit too much for the Americans – which is understandable. Entertainment was quite fun although ended far too early 11ish. The pub was only open to about 3am I think, I could have stayed in there all night. Met a nice mix of people there. We have a son aged 11 and he had a great time. Although there weren’t too many other kids. The shops on-site were insanely expensive. A UK newspaper was about £5 sterling! The trips out were outrageous prices too. But then it is all inclusive so they are trying to get money out of you somehow. Nothing was extra except towels, which were a cheap one off charge. All drinks were superb, and the grill food was smashing late at night. All in all I would recommend, if you were on a budget, but if you could afford to pay more I would. Most of the staff seemed eager to please. We had a great time there. Feel free to email me about a specific point.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2004

Eighteen of us stayed at this hotel from 18 May to 2 June 2004 and the hotel very clean. All the staff are excellent and the food was brilliant.
The guess were very friendly, especially the Americans. I have now started recommending this hotel to some work colleagues.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#17 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!