“This is a great place to go” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“This is a great place to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2004

I just returned from Sunset, I stayed from May 28-June 1. My husband and I had a great time. After getting off the plane I showed my travel documents and was escorted to the bus to take us to Sunset everyone at the airport was pleasant ( I did tip). As soon as we arrived to the resort we were given rum punch before we had a room key. The lobby was gorgeous the appearance was very clean. The room was moderate but I do suggest upgrading to the oceanfront. It is absolutely breathtaking to wake up and see the ocean every morning. We stayed in Tower A which is located near everything, If you want more seclusion ask to stay in the Inn. The Banana Walk was good sometimes it was fantastic sometimes it was okay, but there was always something to satisfy your hunger. The grill was also good, I loved the burgers. The two reservation restaurants were outstanding, Botecelli was incredible. My favorite spot was the pool bar, be sure to ask for the Raymond Twister, the Hummingbird and Miami Vice were also good. The beaches are wonderful, be sure to go out to the reef. You do need water shoes and a mug. You do not need plenty of clothes pack more bathing suits than clothes except for the restaurants. There is a disco, an english pub, and a spa. Someone stated there wasn't an ATM there is one in the lobby that distributes American money along with a $6 fee. We went on a private tour of Montego Bay with a Juta taxi, it was very safe and you can get more for your money when shopping if you go the craft market (the hotel sponsored tour does not take you there). All in all when we return we will take our children there is plenty to do for everyone. Have fun MON. This place is great!!!

2 Thank Lateshya E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2004

I was a bit apprehensive having not been to Jamaica or an all inclusive before. But I have to be honest it was the best holiday of my life. The accommodation was okay, just about what I expected for the price. The food was a bit of a problem for me though. Being quite fussy, many of the dishes were too rich and localised for me. Perhaps catering a bit too much for the Americans – which is understandable. Entertainment was quite fun although ended far too early 11ish. The pub was only open to about 3am I think, I could have stayed in there all night. Met a nice mix of people there. We have a son aged 11 and he had a great time. Although there weren’t too many other kids. The shops on-site were insanely expensive. A UK newspaper was about £5 sterling! The trips out were outrageous prices too. But then it is all inclusive so they are trying to get money out of you somehow. Nothing was extra except towels, which were a cheap one off charge. All drinks were superb, and the grill food was smashing late at night. All in all I would recommend, if you were on a budget, but if you could afford to pay more I would. Most of the staff seemed eager to please. We had a great time there. Feel free to email me about a specific point.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2004

Eighteen of us stayed at this hotel from 18 May to 2 June 2004 and the hotel very clean. All the staff are excellent and the food was brilliant.
The guess were very friendly, especially the Americans. I have now started recommending this hotel to some work colleagues.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2004

I've read some of the reviews about Sunset Beach Resort and Spa and some of them are just outrageously fabricated!

For the person who's friend had to ride into town for cash, his mistake! I have been to Sunset 3 times this year alone and on each occassion, I have successfully withdrawn cash from the ATM beside the Lobby Bar!

Maybe this was an oversight as some of the other items mentioned in that particular review, but on to "my" opinion! As I said, I have been to Sunset 3 times and each time I've encountered the best of the best, both in resorts and staff. I have chosen Sunset each time because the prices are typically reasonable. The rooms are not very large but I never plan to spend much time in them, therefore they serve their purpose. The first time I went, there was a problem with the air conditioner of which the Maintenance folks tried to resolve. However, since they weren't able to, I went to the front desk the next morning and explained the situation. I was upgraded to a beautiful Ocean View room at no cost to me. The last 2 times I have been there, I have requested one of the Inn Rooms and that's what I have gotten, at a very affordable price.

What especially draws me to Sunset Beach is the employees. Since I have returned several times this year, I am greeted with smiles and hugs every time I return. The staff is simply "FABULOUS!!!!" If you are friendly and treat them with respect, they will smile and whatever you want is yours, providing they have the ability and resources to give it to you. All of the bartenders are especially customer-service oriented and treat you as though
you are the only customer present when serving you.

The food is also great! When I go to Jamaica, I am there to enjoy and taste the delights of the Island. And that's what I can count on in the main buffet dining area. I always taste a little bit of everything!
I have eaten in the Chinese Restaurant once and the food was good, however I have not yet been to the Italian Restaurant. That is a meal I can get at home anytime. I'm not saying I wouldn't go there but each time I've started to, I found something more interesting in the Banana Walk buffet.

If you want to go to Jamaica and experience Jamaica, Sunset Beach is the place! If you want to experience American or some other country's delights, then Jamaica is not the place to go!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2004

We just got back from 5 days at sunset beach resort, and we a ball. I think that everything was just great. Breakfast was the best ... I have to say I love bacon, and it was really salty but still good.... The drinks at the bar were great, you never had to wait to get service. I love the swim up bar we were there from the time it opened, to the time it closed. (which was 10am -6pm)I have to say , there were alot of teenagers there that just went wild and had no respect for others , but I learned to tune them right out. The restaurants were good also and great service we had a great server named Darren and he went out of his way to make sure we had a good dinner. I also like the fact that the vendors came right in to the resort and you never had to leave. (which we didn't) We meet so many people and had a great time with them all. I must say that we have done nothing but talked about our great vacation and we want to go back in January.. Anyone who is thinking about going to sunset beach go and have a great time it is worth the money..any question please feel free to email me ..

• Stayed May 2004
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2004

After reading many reviews after I had booked by trip i worried we had made a mistake. My husband and I went May 27 2004 for five days. Once we landed at the airport I had nothing but a great experience. Everyone was so polite and helpful. I did tip the baggage man and drive but was never pressured to do so. When we arrived at the resort check in was nooo problem, the room was standard very clean and cleaned daily. I love the ocean front view it was just awsome both day and night. I had heard so much about the food at the banna walk not being very tasty - that is totally not true unless you are the pickiest snob around there was always something you could find to enjoy. I don't like many fruits or vegetables but I did try something different. At the Grill I fell in love with the cheese burgers and jerk chicken. The Italian Resturante was great the servce better than any in the states. Taurea was the best waiter. In the Chinese Resturant I was suprised how good the food was you see I don't eat chinese. The drinks were plentyful and you can get them as strong as you like. There were two things from the reviews that were true, Bring your own mug because you can get tired of the small cups, and bring water shoes so you can enjoy the beach it is rocky in places. The entertainment was plentiful and of variety. I did the shoping trip but later decided I wanted to see more of the real Jamaica and we caught a Jute Tour who took us to places you never get to see. It is a very depressed place. I am definately going to go back and by the way it is a great family place to go.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Springfield, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2004

Just returned from the Sunset Beach Resort in Jamaica where my husband and I went for our ninth anniversary for five days. We had a lovely ocean front room, comfortable bed, nice cool air conditioning, great view and very clean. The service at the bars, tour desk, front desk and porters was great as was the service in the restaurants. The pools are great with an excellent sip and dip bar on both sides of the main pool We also really enjoyed the entertainment except for the guest talent nite which was pretty bad. Unfortuntately, there were large groups of teenagers who were usually drunk by lunch time. Most of them behaved ok, but some walked on the bar at the pool, carried on into the night and were obviously not trained at home to be polite and wait their turn. The chapperones were not in sight until check out time at the airport. We were tired at night and the running air conditioner allowed us to sleep through their goings on. The food at the buffet was not very good for the most part. The breakfast food was especially bad, the eggs tasted rotten, and the meat was salty and overcooked. Stick to the cereal, fruit, bagels and juice and you will be ok. Dinner was a hit or miss at the buffet. Good one night, bad the next. The specialty restaurants, Italian and Chinese were top of the line. Very good food, great service. The great thing about Jamaica resorts are the staff. They are so friendly and don't make you wait for anything no matter how many customers there are at the bar. The resort, overall, was a good bet for the price. They are undergoing massive renovations to include water slides, new beach bars and grill, etc. What they really need to do is make the food better at the buffet. The beach grill food was fine by the way. They need stricter rules about kids and chaperones. We liked the place alot. Great atmosphere and service. We would go back sometime.

2 Thank Choclatelab
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,785 reviews
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!