“A Wonderful place to just relax!”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Richmond, VA
Reviewed May 22, 2004

What a wonderful place to relax! My husband and I went to Sunset 5/3-5/7 for our one year anniversary. First time out of the U.S and a great place to go for the first time. The resort is beautiful and clean and the people are friendly.
However, make sure you bring extra cash for the tours off of the resort which can range from $30 per person and up, unless you choose to take a taxi (not sure of price).
The resort is not walking distance to shopping so be prepared to pay to get off the resort because the gift shops are ridiculously expensive (i paid $15 for a small bottle of sunblock)
I would say Sunset Beach resort and spa is great for older couples and families, but for young adults and teens it may seem a little slow paced. We found ourselves bored, yet relaxed, after 2 days. Despite that, we got plenty of sleep and ate very, very well.
The chinese and the italian cuisine was excellent and because of the all-inclusive package we ate as much as we wanted and of course drink as much as you want:). (Try the hummingbird! mmmm!) The banana walk was great but make sure you make reservations at both restaurants first.
Not that much Jamacian cuisine offered (suprisingly) and the nightly entertainment consisted of local bands and art auctions which all ended at 11pm. Other than that, I would definetely recommend! however, personally I would like to try something different next time. Have Fun!!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed May 18, 2004

My wife and I stayed at Sunset Beach from 5/13 to 5/16. We have stayed in a number of 5 star resorts and did not have real high expectations. We were both pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and functional and the AC worked. The cable TV did not work right away but was fixed promptly when we mentioned it. I thought the staff was very friendly. Just because they don't jump up and down every time they see you doesn't make them un-friendly. Treat them with the respect everyone deserves and they do the same. I did tip about half the time but did not notice any difference in service. The food was very good and the jerk pork and chicken were fantastic. The pools were somewhat quiet but the people we met were friendly to talk to. The beach area was longer than I had pictured and the rocks some people mentioned were small and few. Do be careful if you go in the water. There are sea urchins in the water but they are easy to spot. I brought along water shoes but just walked in with my flip flops and that did the trick. We never did see any jelly fish.
We tried the au-natural beach and found it to be very secluded and people left you alone. Everyone seemed to pick out their own area and stayed in it. We did bring the insulated drink mugs and they came in very handy. We went to both the Chinese and Italian restaurants and both were very good. We also did the booze cruise/snorkeling trip and had a great time. I would say this was the best time we had on the trip. We went back to Margaritaville that night and were disappointed. We expected it to be like Carlos and Charlies or Senoir Frogs. It is more like a normal club. Overall it was a very good time and we would go back. People who complain about the resort -- I think they will complain about anything. You won't be pampered here but for the price it was a very good buy.

5  Thank Tim H
Reviewed May 17, 2004

Sunset beach resort and spa was wonderful.
The rooms were ok, but who's going for the rooms.
The Italian and oriental restaurants were great. I can't complain about any of the food. There was plenty of choices at the buffets. The beaches were rocky once you got into the water. The staff was great. Of course you had some that go out of their way to help and you have others that don't.
It was a great vacation and I will go back.

• Stayed: April 2004
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed May 16, 2004

My husband and I went to Jamaica for our six year anniversary. This was our first trip out of the USA. So we didn't know what to expect.
We stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort 5-9/5-12-04.
We had a wonderful time. Relaxing. I was disappointed I didn't eat any Jamaican food, such as curry chicken and beef patties, but the food was average. We had a Garden/Mountain view on the tenth floor in Tower A. We where in a corner room, so we had a view of the ocean, which was wonderful. The room was basic and the air condition worked!! For the time spent in the room it was o.k. The staff is not overtly friendly, especially the front desk. No one is rude though. I guess because you are there to relax and not be hassled. Overall our stay was pleasant. It doesn't have a hotel feel, and that was good. If you are looking to be waited on hand and foot, this is not the place.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed May 14, 2004

Well, it was a week of wonderful, relaxing, rejuvinating, SUNSHINE, food, & drinks! We went (my husband myself & our 13 & 16 year old sons & my sister-in-law & brother-in-law) April 21st thru the 28th. We also brought our own cups as advised, but switched back to their smaller ones, since it seemed we slurped them up just as fast (boy, how those frozen drinks seem to go down so well). We all enjoyed the snorkeling (each our first time) and had PLENTY of food to eat and drinks to drink the entire time. I agree that they need "playmakers" like some of the other resorts (we had been to Sandals & everyone --guests & staff were much more involved in the activities). There was a huge gap for entertainment for the above 12 year old crowd, but we also went just as everyone was finishing up their spring breaks. Our boys enjoyed their freedom and had their own adjoining room which gave us our total privacy and bringing along our walkie-talkies was a real hit. It allowed them to go swim, eat, play pool, tennis, checkers, ping pong, & volleyball together without us feeling we needed them to tag along or be constantly look for them. We traveled with my sister-in-law & her husband and were put in seperate towers (not how we booked it thru Expedia). Our room wasn't ready and when it finally was, we had two double beds and not the king we had reserved--they moved us, but we felt this should have been taken care of in advance. Water temperature for the showers is not perfect, so I wouldn't recommend this resort to a high maintenance woman, but who needs to be high maintenance when you are soaking up the sun and swimming and relaxing the entire week? Since we had been to Sandals Royal Caribbean 17 years ago to get married, we were quite skeptical about this 3 star resort, but when compared to the Sandals Beaches resorts that allows families, we saved almost $3,000 by staying at the Sunset----WELL worth the savings! Would I go again? CERTAINLY!!! I would just plan for a school break when the majority of other schools are out so kids can also socialize if you bring them. Our boys got along better that week than they ever have at home and they say they would go again. Over all we had a FABULOUS time! I couldn't begin to tell you how relaxing it was as a parent and bringing our kids along. Don't hesitate, we're so glad we let them have the experience too. You can bargain with the vendors, but watch out. I thought I got a great deal on a beaded necklace & bracelet for $8 together (they wanted $15 for the necklace and $8 for the bracelet) but found something similiar at Walmart when we returned for Under $5 for a matching set & no pressure! If only the natives would just let you look and not make any comments unless you had questions, I feel I would have bought more items, but didn't feel like looking since I didn't want to be pressured. Also I would question their authenticity since my sister-in-law bought a necklace that had a small sticky tag on it that said "Made in the Philippines" :( We went to the Dunns River Falls and it has become so commercialized compared to our first trip. We paid more thru Expedia than it cost to purchase the tickets at the resort. A great idea is to get about 20 Jamaican $50 bills to bring back to friends & family. They are colorful and they won't realize that the bill cost less than $1 American. We wish we had done that. Buy your rum at the airport duty free. Have a great time and feel free to e-mail me if you like.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Frederick, MD
Reviewed May 14, 2004

I just return from Montego Bay, Sunset Beach and Resort 4 days ago. Loved every minute!! The staff was very accommadating and so easy to talk to... Especially, Courtney, I travel agent representative. The hotel services were great. There is no need to leave the resort, but you have to see country side and especially go shopping. I came with a group of 52 women for our annual mother day vacation and would advise everyone who is interested in Montego Bay to go and stay at the Sunset Beach and Resort. I plan on revisting the resort with my husband for a romantic vacation. All you need to bring with you is yourself and plenty of swinsuits and beachwear.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2004

My husband and I just spent 5 wonderful nights at Sunset Beach (May 8-13). Let me save some of you reading this some time scouring over the places in MoBay on the computer --stop looking and book with Sunset! (I spent many hours doing this same thing.) I can honestly say everything about our trip was wonderful and I cannot wait to go back. From the bus trip from the airport to Sunset and checking-in and out of the resort went smoothly. As soon as we stepped off the bus at Sunset, we were greeted with rum punch. Our room was comfortable and clean. Most days housekeeping didn't even take the tip we left out for them. We did tip sometimes at the bar and when we ate at Silk Road and Boticelli, as the service was great (book early). Take large mugs for your drinks. Things you don't need to take: beach towels, hair dryer, iron--as they are provided. The beach at Sunset is beautiful. White sand and turquoise water and plenty of tiki huts if you want out of the sun. The mountains & beach together make for a stunning scene. We took water shoes, but you really don't need these at the beach. Only some small pebbles. I read some reviews talking about the "seaweed". There is just a few feet of seagrass a few yards out in the water, but this ends and then you can snorkel to your hearts content over the beatiful coral. We saw many colorful fish and sealife. I would say my snorkeling here was just as good as I've done in Cozumel and Bahamas. There is a staff member who takes pictures that you can purchase (6.00 for 5X7--which is not bad if you have ever purchased one on a cruise). We did purchase some photos of ourselves and the Jamaica sunset as the "backdrop"--it is so beatiful it almost doesn't look real! I could on and on about our stay--only a few minor things that are really not even worth mentioning, so with that said, I really felt like we got a deal with our vacation at Sunset and we do plan to return.

3  Thank scrisp