“It's a ok resort if you catch a deal” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Georgia
“It's a ok resort if you catch a deal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I went with a group of 75 family and friends and everyone had a good time, but I think it's because of the group we were with that made it fun. It's a smoke free hotel with only a couple places that people could go and smoke, I don't smoke but a lot of people were mad that they couldn't smoke in open spaces near the beach or pool, some just broke the rules....shhhhhh...

The beach was not a good beach, it was alot of seagrass and kinda rocky in places, and when I go on vacation I love going to the beach, so I was disappointed and only went there once...someone said on the other side of the hotel it was nicer, I didn't go over there.

The rooms were clean and we tipped and had extra towels by request. The food and drinks were really good...the pool bar was the best! The entertainment wasn't that great, but we made the best of it. We didn't experience any unprofessional staff, they were very nice and helpful.

The waterpark was nice for the kids, I didn't go there but a few people in the group did, the equipment needs updating, some people did get scratch up going down the slides, but they had fun.

They did have this guy come around and served patties around the pool, they were really good. And even though the buffet didn't change up that much, it was good and it had a variety of food for people to eat.

We did a Negril excursion that we arranged on our own because it was cheaper and we had a great time...if you have a group of 5 or more, see if you can ask a cab driver to take you there for about $30 a piece, they will do it and you can stop by the beach, shop and go to the famous Rick's Cafe.

Overall it was a decent hotel, and we had a good time as a group there!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank kazluv2travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,375)
  • Polish first
Ottawa Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is not Sandals, Secrets or The Ritz, but for a fraction of the price of those resorts you can have a great holiday at Sunset Beach. The food was good, rooms were good, shows were good. This is a family resort so if kids running around and splashing you will bother you, then find another resort. Although there are no top shelf liquor I enjoyed the drink of the day, they were quite tasty. You help yourself to a wine keg in the buffet and the wines were also tasty. Coffee is always good and hot, get a cup and ask them to add some Jamaican rum cream. There were many activities at the resorts for free as well you can dive, rent boats or do a snorkel tour from the beach. We purchased a $30 internet package that was good for 7 days. We were able to facetime in the mornings but at night it would disconnect. We traveled with a group of 14 friends, 8 adults and 6 kids. My pet peeve with this and most all inclusive resorts is that they will not let you book 14 at an a la carte restaurant. It should be common sense that the group would like to eat together. To aggravate me even more the restaurants are 3/4 empty. The waiters were not happy to see a group of 6 kids come in to eat at the a la cartes but if you can't accomodate our group then other adults will have to sit next to our kids. I wish the tour operators would pressure the hotels to better accomodate groups. Sunwing, Sunquest, Air Transat, ect. all promote groups yet when you get to the resorts your rooms are not near each other and you can't eat dinner together. Sorry for the rant, we travel every year with a group and this bothers me. Irrespectively our group would go back to this resort we loved the Jamaican food and culture around the resort. We loved the reggae bands and music and the $$ was right!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank HockeyMom3275
gatineau
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

First time and last time at this resort! For you smokers out there, be AWARE, it is a smoke free resort, although there are 2 designated smoking areas THANK GOD. One by the adult pool which have 4 tables and chairs, that's it, so you can imagine the line up sometimes and the other is 2 small benches in front but away to the left of the resort. They say also, if you get caught smoking on your balcony, you will be fined, we were in the Bayview bldg so no one saw us, but we on nerves of leaving cig butts, not relaxing. The beach is small, weedy and rockie, also non smoking but we managed to smoke indiscretely.

Water in the pools is very COLD.

Food in the buffet also mostly COLD, not to much variety, bacon about every 3 days only, I thought CUBA was bad for food but I think this time, this is worst.

WINE terrible both white and red, real CHEAP stuff, believe me.

FRIDGE was supposed to be included, NOT SO, had to rent one for $5 / day, not cool!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank faynine1959
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We spent one week in october in this hotel.First time in Jamaica.Very good experience,nice place, very good food and drinks.Overall we had great time in this hotel.Stuff very professional.Worth mony you will spend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Branislav-Sadbera
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We went to this hotel for a family wedding. The hotel has good food, great amneties and all the employees are very helpfull and pleaseant. Worth the money we paid for.
It's a 3 1/2 star *** to me. ( hotel rooms would need a little fresh up but clean- Tower A room 207. - Great view ! ). The beach is not the very big, but ok. I wear beach shoes to go in the ocean.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank psog
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Fantastic resort. Yes, it's a bit older, but it's been updated and it's kept spotless! It's big and roomy but not excessively huge like some of the Bahias or Palladiums.
The beach is small but kep well and the pools are older but again, kept immaculate.
The maid staff, groundskeepers, management and wait staff all work soooooo hard in the heat to make you feel appreciated.
They run a shuffle from the lobby into Montego Bay many times a day - hop on! The hip strip is fun and very safe. We've stayed here twice and each time we've gone into the casino after 11:00 and we've never had nor seen anyone else, have a problem.
Take the party boat (booze cruise) as it's so much fun. Go to Margaritaville in Montego for some awesome pub food and water fun.
At the resort, the food is really fresh and creative. The buffet is really good and it just goes to show you that you don't have to be fancy and huge to be really good. The Jerk chicken is to die for.
The rooms are ever so clean and the beds and pillows are comfy.
They even have families with kids in an area of rooms all by themselves so they can make noise (which is what kids do) and the parents don't have to worry or be stressed that they are disturbing others. I love kids and frankly I find it nice to see them having fun, but I know others get all pissy when their quiet time is disturbed.
This resort is older but in no way is it not worthy of your time.
Try it - you'll love it!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rickerby
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Like most on Trip Advisor, I scan the reviews before booking, and take the good with the bad when making a decision, and consider carefully when the reviews were written, and by whom. That being said, I booked this hotel not quite out of desperation, but at close to the last minute, for perhaps the busiest time of the year (December 28 - Jan 4). We are a family of four, 2 adults and two boys, 7 & 10, and I was adamant about booking a trip where we could fly with no connections, and on a proper airline (not a charter) Mobay fit the bill, and the Sunset Beach Resort was the only one available for those dates. So, part of my review is tempered as I left the planning too late, but most of my comments are still relevant, as negative as they may be.
Arrival at the hotel was normal, but when I went to the desk where those guests who had pre-registered on-line were steered, I was told they didn't have my info, and was asked to fill out a long form on a clipboard. Sort of defeats the purpose of doing that online, doesn't it? Please look again I ask, and the annoyed agent goes back to her pile of papers, and lo and behold, it is there. Problem solved. Checked in, we then proceed directly to the customer service desk, where a woman that has no business working at customer service, greets our family, and I use the term greets, loosely. The comments that you need to book the a la carte restaurants ASAP are on the money, as we overhear a string of guests get rejected for the resto of their choice on a particular night. We were only successful in booking 3 out of 7 nights, but that turned out to be a blessing.
We proceed to our room, a Queen Suite, very standard, no complaints other than an incessantly-whistling AC unit. The view is quite nice, the Queen bed was fine for my wife and I, but the pull-out bed for the kids was probably from the Kennedy era, John F. Kennedy - horrible, horrible, horrible. Broken beyond usable. Request 2 cots, they arrive reasonably quick, but are similarly unappetizing. By the way, air and hotel for the week for the 4 of us was $9600 CAD, not cheap but not over the top. For that money, they could replace the broken-down furniture. The 2 TV's work fine, water pressure is good, but the wifi doesn't seem to be ... oh wait, no wifi in the rooms, even for purchase! Wow, back to the 1990's. Informed that WIFI only available in the lobby area, for $30/week. Not the end of the world, but really, free WIFI is the way to go, even at some of the dodgier chains.
Balcony is wonderful, save for the constant overpowering smell of dope smoke. We're not prudes and don't care who smokes what, but be advised that if you're some law and order bible thumper, you might have an issue with the widespread drug use on the property.
Having missed booking at an a la carte resto, we head to the buffet for dinner. We must have arrived on the single busiest night of the year as there were no tables available...anywhere. We finally took it upon ourselves to "open" a table in a previously closed off section of the restaurant, and made ourselves comfortable. The dinner buffet was held in the huge area usually reserved for entertaining, and the food was plentiful but unimaginative. If you like Kraft cheese slices and Wonder Bread, you're in luck as they are staples on the hotel buffets. As for the fabled cats, yes there are a bunch, and yes they are all over the buffet area.
The food was actually decent for the week, but where my real complaint lies is in how poor and uneven the service was, at every single meal. From horrible to indifferent to occasionally competent, this is an area the hotel needs to work on. Most of the service experiences were horrible in the restos, to the point where the staff in the 3 a la carte restos wouldn't refer to the resto by name when welcoming us, but would instead welcome us to the "Asian", "Italian" or "Jamaican" restaurant. Enough said.
Fetching your own drinks, water, wine, soda, etc..., was par for the course for the entire week, at every meal. Desserts would run out and not be replenished, likewise the more popular breakfast/lunch/dinner choices. What stands out about the buffet, like most of the "hard" product, that is the rooms, pools, common areas, gym, etc..., is that the owners are obviously neglectful of how run-down everything is, and that they are probably just as disrespectful of their staff. Watching the gents clear the beach with a rake that is missing half its tines, and with a wheelbarrow that has mismatched wobbly wheels tells me that the owners are loathe to spend any money on facility, and are probably as tight when it comes to taking care of staff. I counted no less than 40 missing lights or fixtures surrounding the water slide. The toasters at the buffet are past ancient. The food trays and covers were consistently broken. A good portion of the equipment in the already-small gym were unusable. We didn't have a single day with 4 beach towels that matched, or where at least 1 towel wasn't threadbare. The ice cream machine would conk out on a regular schedule. All this to say, any owner that neglects equipment this much deserves angry staff, and it shows.
Thankfully the weather was sweet, and the water park was open as advertised. The lifeguards manning the pool at the bottom of the slide were excellent and responsive. The complaints about the slides having some joints that you will feel as you slide down are accurate, but not as bad as you may think, and really weren't an issue. My boys were on the slides all day for 7 days with no harm done.
The only excursion we booked was the quick shopping trip and it IS TO BE AVOIDED at all costs. This is Jamaica at its worst - shills dragging you to their shops for kickbacks, disgusting. If you want to shop, hire a local and tell him the kind of shops you'd like to see and let him take you there. Likewise, the local casino, "Mosino" is not worth the effort. It is an all digital casino with no live dealer games, and is dated and tired. Slots are old, as are the video poker machines.
Our vacation passed quickly, and the day before departure, I asked the Customer Service desk to point me to a computer so I could print my boarding passes. The puzzled look from the agent led me to surmise that I'm obviously the first guest to arrive by airplane, as they have NEVER had that request before. Really? They can't cough up the $49 for a printer? I did see them at a local store, so I know the technology exists on the island. Total service failure. I was forced to check-in online (via the $30/week 512mb access I bought), but without the benefit on a hard boarding pass, I'm always a bit jittery. This is a no-brainer they need to fix ASAP. As an aside, I brought my complaints to the Air Canada Vacations rep on-site, and she confided to me that the Sunset Beach is a "traditional hotel", whatever that means, but that the Iberostar or Hilton is much nicer, and has better food!
One last comment is to suggest strongly, very strongly, that you sign up for the Club Mobay service for both arrival and departure, in order to get you in and out of the country as swiftly as possible, and with a minimum of discomfort. The departure lounge was enormous, excellent, well-staffed, and entirely comfortable. A+. We only used it on departure as I didn't know about the club until we arrived, but apparently the VIP service to get you through customs quickly is easily worth twice the price.
We will probably not return to Jamaica as I believe there are much nicer islands in the area, and we certainly would not return to Sunset Beach, even at half the price.

Room Tip: Select a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank JEDWARDRAZA
Natalie B, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Jedwardraza,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterpark. As a Senior Reviewer, your feedback is invaluable to us and all comments are taken into consideration as we continue to empower our staff through training, and in improving our product and services.

Our Food & Beverage team continues to be creative in presenting healthy and nutritious menu options balanced to satisfy the palate of all our very discerning guests who all have varied culinary expectations.

Please also know that our management and staff are committed to having all our guests enjoy a uniquely Jamaican 5-star service and so we are disheartened that your vacation was not all that it could have been.

In reference to some of the specific issues you noted, we would like to advise that all our featured Suites were recently furnished with new sleep sofas. Our waterslides has been reconditioned to prevent any discomfort to our guests. All guestrooms are being outfitted for wifi access which will be available soon and we have also embarked on a general product enhancement.

Once again we apologize for any inconvenience to you and your family and we do hope that you will reconsider returning to Jamaica, if not to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterpark.

Always at your service,
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,782 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!