“jamaica”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We spent one week in october in this hotel.First time in Jamaica.Very good experience,nice place, very good food and drinks.Overall we had great time in this hotel.Stuff very professional.Worth mony you will spend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Branislav-Sadbera
There are newer reviews for Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We went to this hotel for a family wedding. The hotel has good food, great amneties and all the employees are very helpfull and pleaseant. Worth the money we paid for.
It's a 3 1/2 star *** to me. ( hotel rooms would need a little fresh up but clean- Tower A room 207. - Great view ! ). The beach is not the very big, but ok. I wear beach shoes to go in the ocean.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank psog
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Fantastic resort. Yes, it's a bit older, but it's been updated and it's kept spotless! It's big and roomy but not excessively huge like some of the Bahias or Palladiums.
The beach is small but kep well and the pools are older but again, kept immaculate.
The maid staff, groundskeepers, management and wait staff all work soooooo hard in the heat to make you feel appreciated.
They run a shuffle from the lobby into Montego Bay many times a day - hop on! The hip strip is fun and very safe. We've stayed here twice and each time we've gone into the casino after 11:00 and we've never had nor seen anyone else, have a problem.
Take the party boat (booze cruise) as it's so much fun. Go to Margaritaville in Montego for some awesome pub food and water fun.
At the resort, the food is really fresh and creative. The buffet is really good and it just goes to show you that you don't have to be fancy and huge to be really good. The Jerk chicken is to die for.
The rooms are ever so clean and the beds and pillows are comfy.
They even have families with kids in an area of rooms all by themselves so they can make noise (which is what kids do) and the parents don't have to worry or be stressed that they are disturbing others. I love kids and frankly I find it nice to see them having fun, but I know others get all pissy when their quiet time is disturbed.
This resort is older but in no way is it not worthy of your time.
Try it - you'll love it!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rickerby
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Like most on Trip Advisor, I scan the reviews before booking, and take the good with the bad when making a decision, and consider carefully when the reviews were written, and by whom. That being said, I booked this hotel not quite out of desperation, but at close to the last minute, for perhaps the busiest time of the year (December 28 - Jan 4). We are a family of four, 2 adults and two boys, 7 & 10, and I was adamant about booking a trip where we could fly with no connections, and on a proper airline (not a charter) Mobay fit the bill, and the Sunset Beach Resort was the only one available for those dates. So, part of my review is tempered as I left the planning too late, but most of my comments are still relevant, as negative as they may be.
Arrival at the hotel was normal, but when I went to the desk where those guests who had pre-registered on-line were steered, I was told they didn't have my info, and was asked to fill out a long form on a clipboard. Sort of defeats the purpose of doing that online, doesn't it? Please look again I ask, and the annoyed agent goes back to her pile of papers, and lo and behold, it is there. Problem solved. Checked in, we then proceed directly to the customer service desk, where a woman that has no business working at customer service, greets our family, and I use the term greets, loosely. The comments that you need to book the a la carte restaurants ASAP are on the money, as we overhear a string of guests get rejected for the resto of their choice on a particular night. We were only successful in booking 3 out of 7 nights, but that turned out to be a blessing.
We proceed to our room, a Queen Suite, very standard, no complaints other than an incessantly-whistling AC unit. The view is quite nice, the Queen bed was fine for my wife and I, but the pull-out bed for the kids was probably from the Kennedy era, John F. Kennedy - horrible, horrible, horrible. Broken beyond usable. Request 2 cots, they arrive reasonably quick, but are similarly unappetizing. By the way, air and hotel for the week for the 4 of us was $9600 CAD, not cheap but not over the top. For that money, they could replace the broken-down furniture. The 2 TV's work fine, water pressure is good, but the wifi doesn't seem to be ... oh wait, no wifi in the rooms, even for purchase! Wow, back to the 1990's. Informed that WIFI only available in the lobby area, for $30/week. Not the end of the world, but really, free WIFI is the way to go, even at some of the dodgier chains.
Balcony is wonderful, save for the constant overpowering smell of dope smoke. We're not prudes and don't care who smokes what, but be advised that if you're some law and order bible thumper, you might have an issue with the widespread drug use on the property.
Having missed booking at an a la carte resto, we head to the buffet for dinner. We must have arrived on the single busiest night of the year as there were no tables available...anywhere. We finally took it upon ourselves to "open" a table in a previously closed off section of the restaurant, and made ourselves comfortable. The dinner buffet was held in the huge area usually reserved for entertaining, and the food was plentiful but unimaginative. If you like Kraft cheese slices and Wonder Bread, you're in luck as they are staples on the hotel buffets. As for the fabled cats, yes there are a bunch, and yes they are all over the buffet area.
The food was actually decent for the week, but where my real complaint lies is in how poor and uneven the service was, at every single meal. From horrible to indifferent to occasionally competent, this is an area the hotel needs to work on. Most of the service experiences were horrible in the restos, to the point where the staff in the 3 a la carte restos wouldn't refer to the resto by name when welcoming us, but would instead welcome us to the "Asian", "Italian" or "Jamaican" restaurant. Enough said.
Fetching your own drinks, water, wine, soda, etc..., was par for the course for the entire week, at every meal. Desserts would run out and not be replenished, likewise the more popular breakfast/lunch/dinner choices. What stands out about the buffet, like most of the "hard" product, that is the rooms, pools, common areas, gym, etc..., is that the owners are obviously neglectful of how run-down everything is, and that they are probably just as disrespectful of their staff. Watching the gents clear the beach with a rake that is missing half its tines, and with a wheelbarrow that has mismatched wobbly wheels tells me that the owners are loathe to spend any money on facility, and are probably as tight when it comes to taking care of staff. I counted no less than 40 missing lights or fixtures surrounding the water slide. The toasters at the buffet are past ancient. The food trays and covers were consistently broken. A good portion of the equipment in the already-small gym were unusable. We didn't have a single day with 4 beach towels that matched, or where at least 1 towel wasn't threadbare. The ice cream machine would conk out on a regular schedule. All this to say, any owner that neglects equipment this much deserves angry staff, and it shows.
Thankfully the weather was sweet, and the water park was open as advertised. The lifeguards manning the pool at the bottom of the slide were excellent and responsive. The complaints about the slides having some joints that you will feel as you slide down are accurate, but not as bad as you may think, and really weren't an issue. My boys were on the slides all day for 7 days with no harm done.
The only excursion we booked was the quick shopping trip and it IS TO BE AVOIDED at all costs. This is Jamaica at its worst - shills dragging you to their shops for kickbacks, disgusting. If you want to shop, hire a local and tell him the kind of shops you'd like to see and let him take you there. Likewise, the local casino, "Mosino" is not worth the effort. It is an all digital casino with no live dealer games, and is dated and tired. Slots are old, as are the video poker machines.
Our vacation passed quickly, and the day before departure, I asked the Customer Service desk to point me to a computer so I could print my boarding passes. The puzzled look from the agent led me to surmise that I'm obviously the first guest to arrive by airplane, as they have NEVER had that request before. Really? They can't cough up the $49 for a printer? I did see them at a local store, so I know the technology exists on the island. Total service failure. I was forced to check-in online (via the $30/week 512mb access I bought), but without the benefit on a hard boarding pass, I'm always a bit jittery. This is a no-brainer they need to fix ASAP. As an aside, I brought my complaints to the Air Canada Vacations rep on-site, and she confided to me that the Sunset Beach is a "traditional hotel", whatever that means, but that the Iberostar or Hilton is much nicer, and has better food!
One last comment is to suggest strongly, very strongly, that you sign up for the Club Mobay service for both arrival and departure, in order to get you in and out of the country as swiftly as possible, and with a minimum of discomfort. The departure lounge was enormous, excellent, well-staffed, and entirely comfortable. A+. We only used it on departure as I didn't know about the club until we arrived, but apparently the VIP service to get you through customs quickly is easily worth twice the price.
We will probably not return to Jamaica as I believe there are much nicer islands in the area, and we certainly would not return to Sunset Beach, even at half the price.

Room Tip: Select a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank JEDWARDRAZA
Natalie B, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Jedwardraza,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterpark. As a Senior Reviewer, your feedback is invaluable to us and all comments are taken into consideration as we continue to empower our staff through training, and in improving our product and services.

Our Food & Beverage team continues to be creative in presenting healthy and nutritious menu options balanced to satisfy the palate of all our very discerning guests who all have varied culinary expectations.

Please also know that our management and staff are committed to having all our guests enjoy a uniquely Jamaican 5-star service and so we are disheartened that your vacation was not all that it could have been.

In reference to some of the specific issues you noted, we would like to advise that all our featured Suites were recently furnished with new sleep sofas. Our waterslides has been reconditioned to prevent any discomfort to our guests. All guestrooms are being outfitted for wifi access which will be available soon and we have also embarked on a general product enhancement.

Once again we apologize for any inconvenience to you and your family and we do hope that you will reconsider returning to Jamaica, if not to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterpark.

Always at your service,
Natalie Boreland
Compliance Officer
cia@sunsetresortsjm.com

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Our party of 14 arrived Jan 9th and stayed though the 16th. The majority of our party is in our 50’s, with one of our party bringing his 78 year old mom.

On our last three trips to Jamaica, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree. This trip we stayed at the Sunset because friends of our party were staying here for a wedding.

Both resorts are similar in price, food quality, cleanliness, and amazing English speaking staff. Just as true both resorts have high and lows points.

The Sunset Resort in more compact with two 10 story building, as compared to the Sunspree Resort, which has seven, 5 story buildings with few elevators. Sunset appears to be more stroller friendly. If you are bringing your young ones to Sunset, request building B, it is the quieter building.

The better beach goes to Sunspree. The Sunspree has fewer rocks, less seaweed, is mostly sandy, and has manmade island that can be reached by most of the younger family members.

The better pools go to Sunset. Sunset has 3 pools, a main entertainment/activity pool, a quiet family pool, attached to the adult pool via the pool bar and a “waterpark”. Sunspree has 2 pools the activity pool, and the adult pool and hot tub.

The better bars….. Tied equal in all respects. Bring thermal mugs for all in your party, including the kids. Both resorts make non-alcoholic frozen drinks for anyone.

The entertainment….Sunset gets a slight edge. Sunset has fire eaters/breathers

The better rooms Sunspree. The Sunsprees rooms are Bigger, QUIETER, with Wi-Fi available for a $. The Sunset rooms are tiny, but not cramped. We heard the people upstairs constantly. Sunset has Wi-Fi, but only in the lobby and for a $, or free if you book the Oasis.

Late night food goes to Sunset, the back grill area, it’s open until 2 AM, mostly bar food, burgers, fries, etc.

Kids clubs…I cannot comment on either resort. We had no need of this service.

Tours….the hip strip and craft market…….The hip strip MAYBE, but choose the stores wisely, the craft market……NO NEVER ever again, same stuff in all booths, aggressive people. Avoid at all costs. Try The mall, I think it is called Rose Hall Mall ??

Tour of the island…..Yes…..We toured the Black river, Appleton distillery, YR Falls. This is an adult tour because of the time…over 9 hrs. Awesome tour, you see the real Jamaica, and how the locals live. See Kareen at Jamaican Tours, she in well informed, and can guide you on your perfect tour.

Both resorts meet the basic needs of their patrons. I would go back to either resort, with a preference to Sunspree, unless the Oasis @ sunset was within budget.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank drfarmlong
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Yep, Sunset Beach always delivers a quality experience. Now if you are looking for a 4 Star place, pay more $$ and go elsewhere. But for a 3+ Star experience, you can't beat Sunset Beach. The staff is friendly and attentive, the food is good and the rooms are clean.

As noted in our title, this is our seventh visit, starting back in 2002 when I took a chance. Why do we come back?

Close to airport. Negril and Ocho Rios are 1.5-2 hours from airport. Sunset Beach is 15 minutes.
Ocean Front rooms and a great sunset
Banana Walk is the buffet eating place and 3 other specialty restaurants cater to your dietary needs, plus a late night grill for burgers, jerk chicken and such. Looking for caviar or lobster, go into town.
Waterpark for families (although we prefer the beach)
Spa, ah yes, two massages on this last visit to work out the stress.
Large open air lobby to play cards, socialize and more.
3 pools, but then again the beach and a coral reef beats that IMHO.
Jamaica meat patties and coconut water vendor!

all in all a great visit!

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are only a little more money and worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank RecRob
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We just returned yesterday from a 6 day vacation here and found the trip advisor reviews to be generally spot on. Constant common area cleaning and a very nice lazy river pool with 2 nice water slides are very nice features.

A few pointers.

Bring large plastic cups otherwise you will constantly drink form 8 oz plastics ones..

The beach bar on the villa end was great during the day.

This resort recently (December) broke out a new high scale version which includes a private beach which I was told was previously included for all. This included many if not all of the oceanfront villas..

Book the specialties restaurants (we liked the Italian one) the day you arrive otherwise the buffet food may get a bit tiring..

Unless you really want to go to Martguerita you should skip going to "downtown" which is not more than a few shops.

We were pleasantly surprised that our "bay room had a great view of the cruise boats.

As others have mentioned, those looking for a lively nightlife should be warned
that this place is not for you..

Snorkeling (including gear) and kayoing here are totally free and my daughter actually saw 4 small stingrays. Very nice

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!