“Cant wait to go back”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Reviewed May 7, 2004

My husband and I holidayed atthe Sunset Beach from 27 April 4 May for our Honeymoon and I have to say it was really very good..... none of the negative comments have come from the British who are mostly used to EURO destinations.

When we arrived our cases wheretaken from us and delivered to our room. we were toldto "take it easy, you're on vacation".

We had upgraded to a superior room and had a view of the pool and the Ocean. Our room was spacious and had 2 double beds, air con, television, hair dryer, Iron and Ironing Board. There waseven dispensers in the bathroom for shampoo etc, you ceetainly dont get this in spain, Greece, canaries.

Most meal times are spent in the Banana Walk and comparedto other AI hols this is brilliant. There is a choice of cooked, continetal, or fruit breakfasts, food is plentiful and most importantly Hot. Nor has it been sitting for hours like other buffet style AI hols.

Lunch and Dinner had an excellant choice with Chicken, Fish and Beef (or Pork) every evening. There was also a good range of Salads, Pasta, Rice Vegetables and Potato dishes. However we didnt like the desserts as they were a bit too artifical from what we have back home. However our USA companions lapped them up.

There are two formal restaurants Silk Road (chinese/aisan) and Boteccili (Italian) and early booking is advised. This is your chance to be totally pampered and literally not lift a finger.

The Entertainment was OK........again not really our bag baby, but certainly a vast improvement on previous AI entertainment.

The staff are all lovely with excelleant service and (in response to someones negative comment) just once, we were kept waiting for water. (5 mins maybe) However the Chef had just got marriedtheday before and staff were a bit thin on the ground that morning, so we were happy to wait.

The Grill Bar also serves food and you must try the Jerk Chicken, its so moreish. The Slush drinks are nice too, as we dodnt like rum, we prefered the "Virgin" Daiquri and Pinas, although Pina and Malibu goes down a treat.

Try this place for yourself, coming from UK it was very expensive for us and we were annoyed by the other fussy guests who kept putting it down, but after a 24 hour journey we were happy.

My husband also enjoyed his Deep Tissue massage and agreed it was worth every penny

Go and try the resort were everything is "No Problem Mon".

You are also guaranteed to be offered "Smoke Mon" but a polite no is suffice.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,686)

Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 6, 2004

My husband and I just returned from are trip to Sunset Beach Resort. We had a wonderful time and have no complaints. We've been to other resorts in the caribbean and this resort had the MOST courteous, helpful staff we have ever encountered. They were wonderful and helpful-thanks Vernon for going the extra mile to find my lost book!!! If you've never been here and have booked your trip, please ignore some of the negative reviews... Here are some of my thoughts on the resort.
-Rooms: Very clean and cheerful
-Beaches: Absolutely gorgeous, turquoise water, light sand and view of the mountain area
-Restaurants: Banana Walk nice food good variety*
The Italian resturant is very nice!
-Entertainment: Fun music, and shows everynight, thanks Orlando for keeping us entertained!
-Excursions-Luminous lagoon, don't miss this!! Horse back riding, Dunn's River Fall's, Dolphin Cove etc.

I can't stress enough to ignore the bad reviews, this is a wonderful place, I would return in a heartbeat and I have a lot to compare it with! Have a great time if you are going!!! Feel free to email me with any questions.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bend, OR
Reviewed May 5, 2004

Those were words we heard over and over the whole time we were at Sunset Beach. We stayed there from 4/24 to 4/30 and had an absolutely wonderful time. In fact on our last day we were trying to find a way to extend our stay a couple of days, but unfortunately the airlines couldn't change our flight. When we arrived, Vernon was there with a friendly smile to help with our luggage. We were told that it's vacation we're not supposed to lift a finger when we tried to help. Our room was out in the West wing which was close to the construction, but when we asked to transfer to one of the towers, it was no problem after a room became available. If you get the chance, go on the snorkel catamaran cruise with Tropical Dreamer. The crew is a lot of fun and they take you to Margaritaville to ride the 110 ft slide and play on the water trampolines. Then they teach you a dance and give you a foot massage! But if you don't want to leave the resort, that's great too because there is always so much going on that you really don't feel a need to. They have all sorts of sports activities going on like beach volleyball, soccer, tennis etc. And then they have contests where they give away prizes. Orlando made everything so much fun; I'm normally pretty shy but he's so friendly and full of energy he got me to participate too. Thanks Orlando for everything!! We never tipped anyone and that was just fine. No one looked at us funny or asked for a tip. Just give them a big smile and a thank you and that seems ok. We were really glad we brought our own cups though because their little plastic cups have you running back for more too often. And be sure to always ask for your drink with an extra shot because if you don't, you'll feel like you haven't drank anything at all. Take the free shuttle to Margaritaville. It's worth it, especially on free Sunset Beach night or Ladies night. They have great dancing; we went almost every night. There was always plenty of room at the beach each day; we never had to fight for a spot to lay and bake in the sun. I want to go back already, and plan to hopefully sometime in the near future.

Reviewed May 4, 2004

We stayed at Sunset Beach April 24-30. At our arrival, Vernon took our bags and held them while we checked in. After check in, we were able to go directly to our room and Vernon brought our bags up for us later. It gave us a few moments to stop by the pool bar and pick up a drink. We did tip the bus/shuttle drivers from and to the airport as well as for our tours as they were not from the hotel directly. As far as tipping in the hotel, we did not tip and we did not feel pressured to tip. We received excellent service from the bartenders and waiters. We did take our own cups to have drinks made in them. That was an excellent idea that we picked up from others suggestions on here. I would highly recommend this. Also, the drinks are sometimes made weak but all you need to do is ask for an extra shot, and the bartenders will gladly do so. As far as activities, there are so many things to do at the hotel that you don't even need to leave. The entertainment at the hotel is supurb! Thanks, Orlando! :) We met so many people from all accross the world. I would recommend taking the time to talk with others, including the locals. There is so much to learn and they are so friendly. They are very responsive when you show interest in what they have to say. For a fun time, make sure you get involved in the activities at the hotel, and also getting to know others! Beach volleyball was a blast! The music and dancing was quite fun, and if you have time, take a trip to Margaritaville! It is definitely some fun to experience for the party crowd. There was plenty of room to spread out and not feel so cram packed, yet not feel alone either. The resort was full on two of the days we were there, yet there was still plenty of room! The rooms are small but clean and well kept. You do have to ask for a change in linens if you want, however it is no different than many of the hotels in the states. Just trying to conserve on water. We ate at the italian restaurant one night and it was excellent. The Banana Walk buffet has a wide variety of food choices. Anything from out of the norm to the normal dishes. Breakfast would consist of scrambled eggs, some sort of potato dish, pastries, cereals and create your own omelets. Lunch had a variety of things such as a sandwhich station with tuna, turkey or chicken salad. Usually one or two hot dishes, salad and side dishes. Dinner was based on different theme nights and typically had some pasta and soup along with a meat dish and veggie dishes. The chocolate was to die for! :) All in all, I will definitely be back! Thanks to everyone at Sunset Beach! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me!

4  Thank smalltowngrll
City, State
Reviewed May 3, 2004

I thought the hotel had a wonderful ambience for the price. We booked this vacation last minute last year in December, as we just needed to get away from the cold. The pools were very nice; the beach was nice, but not the nicest I've been on; there were board games we could borrow; table tennis, badminton and tennis to keep us occupied. They had a manager's cocktail party one evening with a sampling of different delicacies -- that was great. The food (all inclusive) had a home cooked feel to it which was refreshing. I liked the beach bar that was open for jerk chicken and burgers 24 hrs a day. Our room was strictly OK, the air conditioner a bit noisy -- this is not a luxurious hotel in the same category as the Ritz, but again for a last minute veg. out vacation at a very reasonable price - it was great!

Reviewed May 3, 2004

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sunset Beach 4/30 for 3 nights. I was very excited about going to Sunset Beach. For the most part, the reviews on this board were very positive and I did not hesitate when I booked because I know that some people are just too picky. Well, an earlier post said you get what you pay for and that is the honest to god truth. The hotel was clean, conveniently located to the airport, the drinks were decent, and the people friendly for the most part.........for the most part. Service was extremely uneven with some of the staff over doing it and some under doing it. We watched many people who arrived with us get their rooms while we had to wait several hours. We also met many people who got a late check out and we were told a flat NO. The room was sparsely decorated with no real amenities. There is a dispenser in the bathroom with shampoo, conditioner and soap. Our room was painted a dark purple with dark wood furniture. The balcony sliding glass door was rusted and hard to open and close. The Banana Walk was disgusting. Many have said that people are too picky........I am not a picky eater and this was disgusting. Minimal choices and the choices you had were never things you would eat. Many mornings, I couldn't even get someone to bring coffee. The Silk Road was OK, as was Botticelli but you can't eat there every night. The beach was ok, more of a cove. You could snorkle, kayak or take paddle boats. There were activities during the day and a band in the evening. The casino was just slot machines and the fake horse racing. We went to visit the 2 nearby Sandal's properties and took the taxi from the hotel and I think the hotel is running some kind of scam. It was $25 to Sandals Royal Caribbean but only $20 back. Same kind of Taxi Service (JUTA). I thought that was suspicious. I guess if you are desperate to get away, Sunset is acceptable; I just had higher expectations. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed May 3, 2004

We just returned from 4 of the most wonderful days you can imagine!! Everyone at the resort was so friendly. The staff was very helpful and always had a big smile for you. Since you can't tip, my girlfriend and I found out real quick that the staff responds very favorably to compliments, please and thank you and a smile. They will remember you and go out of their way to greet you and check on you.

Don't be afraid to try the native dishes. We tried everything and it was all great!!