“Money's Worth”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Great Place! friendly environment . Great Atmosphere!! Food was good, lots of options. Great for not just couples but the entire family. I would recommend this place to anyone thinking of stayin in Montego Bay.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Ashango
Write a ReviewReviews (6,690)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Honest, ive been All over Mexico for the last 10 years, RIU and other 5 stars... - Sunset will be my new HOME! Treated like family, the staff here, from the front desk (Nicole, god bless you!) to the bell hop "T", to the entertainment staff (Yanique "MC", Dominic, Nardia, Georgia,) The bartenders, don't get me started!! Dionna! Best "purple rain" ever! After the evening entertainment, the staff would even accompany us into town!!! We went out several nights, Margaritaville, Moods, even to a Jamaica vs Mexico Soccer game! When you get home late, my main man at the grill will take care of them munchies, NO PROBLEMS!
We upgraded to a beach front room upon arrival (103W) ($200) and out the patio was PRISTINE beach, out the front door was the water park. PERFECT! We spent a ton of time at the entertainment pool (which is odd, because generally we favor the swim up bar) but between the volley ball, the instructed aqua zumba, the drinking games (10 10 ZUMA ZUMA), the doughnut eating competition... We LOVED the afternoons with the staff working their butts off to make us laugh. Tip these hard working people, they deserve so much more, its the LEAST you can do.
!! So much to do at the resort! I am 31 and me and my twin sister hit up the water park daily!! Tennis courts, with lessons via Tony, the instructor, ARE A MUST. Mini golf, chess, kayaks, sail boats, paddle boats, YOU NAME IT! Motorized water sports (BEST SNORKLING OF MY LIFE) SCUBA with Kelly!! All A MUST! There is a beautiful and colorful reef just ten mins away, and I have snorkeled ALLLLLL over, best reef yet, even got to chase a Sting Ray! The Nude beach is a great conversation piece too! ;)

Food: I'm spoiled and very use to the best of the best unfortunately, I recommend tipping the staff and eat at one of the a-la-carts every night. Bing Bang Boom. If you are good to them, they are good to you. Simple.

You are only 5 mins from the main street for shopping, skip the hip strip and hit up the banana whatever for all your shopping. We spent a good hour in there one day and got everything for $10 a piece. Raj the owner knows how to barter, so get a few beers outta him while you shop ;) we also hit the slanty shanty market after hours and got HELLA deals on everything. These folks were aggressive, but wouldn't say no to *anything you offered. If you know what you want, you can clean house here after hours. Don't be afraid of the dark. Your driver Johnny, he's got this. Absolutely amazing prices on quality wood work. (I'm talkin $10-20 bucks here people) BONIUS: I left my phone and glasses in a hut while trying on dresses and GOT THEM BACK. NO PROBLEMS!

Need a driver? Don't pay for a cab inside the hotel gates. Step outside and get them to call Johnny! After 20 years, this man is a GEM! No worries, he's fully registered. (just ask the drivers outside the gate, he drives a white van with green trim on the bottom. He has big beautiful white teeth and a smile for daze, dressed to the nines always! Johnny drove us to Negril for a day trip- 7mile Beach (BEST BEACH I HAVE EVER* BEEN ON) Margaritaville in the water and World Famous Ricks Café. You must cliff jump. MUST! Change your life, it will! While in Negril Johnny hooked up great deals on sea doing and entertained our every wish. Another night, Johnny also took us to the soccer game (Jamaica vs Mexico) It was free entrance and an AMAZING experience. Johnny even had a CD with awesome raggie for us to take home! Don't mess around with anyone else, Johnny is your man! Tell him the twins say hi!

Guests at the resort with a VIP wrist band are returning guests, and its not hard to see why. SEE YOU ALL AGAIN IN FEBRUARY, GET READY FOR MY MOM AND DAD!!!!

Remember: your trip is what YOU make it! So smile!! SAY HI!! GET INVOLVED, have fun, let loose, and ENJOY YOURSELF, ENJOY THE STAFF, AND ENJOY YOUR FELLOW TRAVELLERS!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a beach front for $200 upon arrival. Beach right outside your patio door and pool right o...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank BIGMAMA780
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My family of 10 stayed here and from the reviews we thought that it couldn't be that bad, we thought people were simply being picky. As I am not a picky picky person my review will help some that are like me.
1. (Check in) pack your patience because you will need it, our check in process took well over an hour, yes they welcome you with a drink however you will have time for more, we were there so long my son and nephew changed into their swim clothes and hit the pool and came back we were still there. Online check in is a joke the only perk is that you get a free 30 minutes of Internet, but don't get happy because it's like dial up at some point.

2. (Front desk staff) clueless on every aspect, on 5 different occasions they weren't willing to help. I booked a double bed for 2 adults and 2 kids my daughter, grandchild, niece and great nephew, we get to the room and its a king bed, I make my way down to the front desk to be told there was nothing that they could do until Wednesday, well that wouldn't work especially since we checked out on Thursday of which they should have known. So they bought in a rollaway bed as fixing the solution. We paid for 2 adults and one child (the other was an infant). My niece luggage was lost & we were told by the airline that it was dropped off at the front desk, 4 times we asked them was it there & each time were told no! Staff will give an answer without ever looking. Needless to say we found a staff person willing to look actually she just turned around & it was right there.

3. (Towels & wash clothes) this will help you out a lot if you bring your own. The towels are hard, old and sorta dingy, we settled because we weren't aware. If you need them I'll say that the housekeeping staff will give you the runaround and by the time you get extras you may have already checked out.

4. (Buffett & restaurants) bring stomach medicine for yourself and your kids, my son & husband were down for 2 days. There are plenty, plenty of flies around the Buffett, most food is covered with the exception of fruit, breads and desserts. The food was hit or miss it wasn't good or bad simply OK. We tried to make reservations for the restaurants but the reservations desk was always busy because you not only make restaurant reservations there you also make excursion reservations there. We did manage to get reservations at 10pm for one restaurant (try making that with kids) which they were not trying to accommodate giving we had little ones and we got another reservation at the Asian restaurant which was really good. Word to the wise make your restaurant reservations as this is the best food on the resort.
5. (Water bottles) you will need them for Water and juice, trust me they don't offer bottled water and the small cups that you get you will keep running back to the bar over and over. They came in handy. First all inclusive without a mini fridge.

6. (Child care) there was no problem there, my kids made art work, played video games and enjoyed themselves.

7. (Cats) oh boy if you're allergic, don't like cats or simpy think its nasty for them to lurk while your eating then DON'T book this resort. There are so many cats you wouldn't believe it, I was annoyed by the amount.

8. (Rooms) very outdated, tape on the back of the remote controls, my batteries had to be changed and maintenance came in and changed the batteries and tape. Our sliding balcony door did not lock, it was off the hinges and had a crack in the door, curtains ripped and should have been in the trash. Showers and sinks are old, the toilet leaked around the bottom and they came to put a "bandaid" on the problem.

9. (Activities) all of them were nice, the water aerobics, the lazy river, water slides. I enjoyed the shows and bonfire and outdoor receptions. They even have a bus to take you to Margaritaville for free. The entertainment is a real sight.

10. To sum it up I will not stay here again. I will only recommend this to families on a budget because its not really worth staying here. It is very kid friendly. If you bring your towels and wash clothes, water bottles, Lysol and open mind then you will enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NLHD
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My family and I stayed at Sunset Beach in October 2013 for 1week. We had a very good time, our rooms were always clean(tower B ocean view amazing ), my kids loved the water park and pools. The food at Byron was great but we really didn't care much for the food at the Italian and daily buffet restaurants. Loved the theme nights especially the barbeque by the beach! Entertainment was ok and I loved the energy of the entertainment staffs. The majority of the staffs were very friendly(especially staffs at Byrons restaurant), with the exception of the gift shop employees(did not feel very welcomed and left without purchasing anything). The water park is in urgent need of a paint job! My kids LOVED their time at the Mongoose day care center!! The staff there were FANTASTIC and my kids had a lot of activities to do when they were there. I checked in online but still had to fill out the registration form when we got there, we arrived at the resort around 11am but was not able to check into a room until almost 3 pm, this made for a very long day since we were up since 2am for our 6:15am flight. I was disappointed that the beach had so many jelly fishes so close to shore(this kept me out of the water for the majority of the trip:-(. The manager Arnise was wonderful, especially in the end when our flight was delayed for almost 10hrs she assisted us in such a big way, which is more than I can say for Sunwing Airlines. Overall, I would visit this resort again!!

Room Tip: Room in tower B is closes to everything.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Petrina A
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Service was not great, rooms were not great, food was not great.
We went with a large group of people and they were not very helpful with organizing things.
We got what we paid for. That being said, my son said he had the best vacation!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the East building and the access to the beach was good
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2013

just back from sunset beach, first time to resort first time to jamacia.
room was very nice, ocean view, air conditioner worked well, room clean , flat screen tv with many choices of channels.
shower worked well enough and was plenty of hot water.
beach is probably the only negative thing in my opinion, no white sand not good for swimming, if your into snorkeling this is the resort for you. seems to be right on a cove and coral reef.
pools were nice, swim up bars, cold at first until you got in .
food was very good , lots of choice, loved the jerk chicken for lunch at the grill.
there was no entertainment around the pools with the swim up bars, would have been nice to hear music or bingo , or something, only entertainment was the guy going around selling patties, he was really nice.
it was nice to get there and see there was a casino, didnt have to leave the property, not sure if they pay out or not, just spent 10 for something to do.
I love the fact you can help yourself to coffee or pop whenever you want.
there is wifi available in the lobby area for a price.
There is a waterslide there with a lazy river, great fun for all ages.
Not sure but i think the beach area with the other pool is only for guests who upgraded, looked alittle nicer then the beach near swim up bar pools. there is also a jacuizzi there that is actually hot.
one negative is check out is 11am and if you have a late flight and want to keep your room they want 100 us dollars, seems abit excessive in my opinion.
Finding your shuttle bus to and from the airport is a bit confusing, no west jet reps to great you at airport and to make sure your on the right bus. Leaving the hotel no west jet rep getting off bus to make sure your getting on the right bus home, no fault to the hotel.
all in all a very nice quick getaway, and will likely return. it was nice to check out and get a thank you for staying there, they remember your face and always asking how are things.

Room Tip: get ocean view room but lower floor, as the elevators dont work the fastest. stay in tower b if you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rayace
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have a 2 year old and we stayed at this hotel in October 2013 for a week. The amenities were great, as was the room, beach and pools. The best things were the staff, food, and the kids' waterpark.
Each day there was excellent food; we loved the Jamaican food. Our daughter is a finicky eater, and she tried the mango, rice and peas, plantain and of course the desserts. The staff was exceptional. They would grab a high chair as soon as we walked in. They interacted with us and even encouraged her to eat. The entertainment was great too. The City Dancers came out and did some kind of reggae, ska performance. My daughter danced away! They had daily activities going on all the time. Finally, we loved the children's water park. There was a walk-in children's pool, a lazy river, and slides for all ages, even our two year old.
We would absolutely recommend this to anyone who has children. It was amazing. The only downside was no airport shuttle. We used a taxi (Juta) to get there and back. We have every intention of trying out the Sunset Beach in Ocho Rios and Negril when we go back.

Room Tip: The beach view is nice, but since there is nightly entertainment, it might pose a sleep problem. The...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family