“My honeymoon at Sunset Beach”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I were blessed enough to be able to share our honeymoon at Sunset Beach in Montego Bay for the week of Oct 20-27th. Overall our trip was amazing! The hotel had so much to do there was never a dull moment. From activities at one pool, to the swim up bar, to the craft vendors, water sports, beach, lazy river, shopping, fine dining, buffet breakfast, beautiful weather and awesome service. The nightlife was always fun, always something going on at both ends of the hotel. We loved that there was something different going on on every end! There were a few people who gave us wonderful service that we'd like to name specifically; Nardia who was an entertainer and very welcoming and friendly, we will remain friends through facebook. Damian was a bartender who we visited before the italian restaurant two times. He gave us amazing service and truely enjoyed us being there. Georgia and Yanique were the activity pool entertainers throughout the day who were very fun to watch and play with at the pool. Jaqueline and Jason were also great bartenders. And Michael at the front went out of our way to get us drinks when we arrived, helped us book our excursion, and was just all about his customer service. Thinks that I did not like about the hotel were that some of the jamaicans in general were very short and not very clear as to what you were getting. Also the elevator in tower A was always having issues and for one night neither elevators worked at all and we had to walk up 8 flights of stairs. The prices of things were a little pricey, but jamaicans usually barter pretty well, so dont pay what they ask. Also I didnt like that there was no room service, there were no refigerators in the room, and that we had to pay for wifi and it was only to be used in the lobby. Some HUGE advice is to bring your own water bottles for your drinks, as the cups are only 4oz cups. Also, dont do the shopping excursion because its the same stuff the craft vendors bring to the hotel and set up in the lobby. They will give you a deal on the dolphin excursion if you are at the activity pool during the week. Bring watershoes! And if you go in October be ready for jellyfish in the ocean, theyre everywhere! And apparently the sting hurts!!

Room Tip: Tower A has the sunset view of the ocean. I personally think I had the best room in the resort room...
2  Thank Chelsea E
Write a ReviewReviews (6,690)

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Montego Bay, Jamaica Oct. 20-27, 2013 and my trip was pretty good with the following exceptions: Elevators in Tower A did not work most of the week (both never worked at the same time). It was very frustrating not knowing if they would open or not so everyone would overload it when it did arrive. The nightlife sucked. The beach party was the best ever, however, the entertainment area had way too much wait time. A band would come on (and they were excellent) and play for 30 - 40 minutes. Then you sat and waited another 30-40 minutes for the next act. Made no sense and they lost most of the audience between acts. Need to have continuous entertainment. All entertainment was over by 10 PM and the disco was a small room with a disco ball. Often found myself in bed by 10:30 PM each night. I loved the Italian restaurant- best food in the resort (great waiters). Beds could be better and rooms darker (too much light came in under and around the door). But my view was great from the 10th floor in Tower A.

Room Tip: I was in Tower A 10th flr with a great view of the resort, ocean and great sunset. Only issue was t...
1  Thank TSchool
Natalie B, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear TSchool,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us. It is a fact that we had an issue with our Elevators on the Sunrise Tower A which were due to damages caused by a lightening strike. We are happy to report however that the elevators have been fixed and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and family, and in fact, to all our guests who were impacted in anyway.

It is always our intention to try to exceed our guests expectation in our service delivery and we will continue to do all that we can do to ensure that our guests experience a warm and friendly, uniquely Jamaican atmosphere at Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterpark.

We note your comments about our entertainment and rest assured that we will seek to make adjustments.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to once again welcome you back to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterpark.

Always at your service,
Natalie Boreland
Compliance Officer

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I would like to say that this trip for us as (friends) was the best one ever! Usually my husband and I would travel together and stay at one of Sunset Beach Resorts three locations, but this trip!!! and this location Oh Lord; I could NOT wait to come home and write my review.

First let me say thank you to the hotel manager Ms. Karlene Walters for making sure that this ship is ran in tip top shape.

-If you've ever wondered what Vegas would be like in a more tropical location, this is it! It is exactly as billed - a touristy, mega-resort. We were only here a few nights, but loved the activities and comforts of home.

-The beach was fantastic, and our view was "BREATH TAKING" we could have spent an entire day riding and just sitting in the lazy river. Our hotel room view was more than I could ask for we saw the sun set and the sun rise. (smiling)

-On my last night at the hotel I cut my toe on something causing me to bleed I had no form of medical supplies with me so at 3:30am I called the front desk who provided me a male night nurse who came to dress and bandage my toe allowing the bleeding to subside until the 8am Nurse came in. I was very impressed with the care given and how everyone was respectable, friendly and nice.

-The staff around the resort went out of their way to make sure you were having the best time and always asked if they could do anything for you. The front desk employees, the bar and the over all staff were extremely nice, helpful and always had a smile.

-If you have any questions about the The Sunset Beach Resort, please message me.. I will be glad to answer them if I can.

As I said, this was our 3rd visit and our 1st time at this location..as we walked to our room when we checked in, my husband said "It's like coming home",,, And as I said when we were leaving... We will be back again in a December for Christmas!!

Room Tip: The view is 100% beautiful!!! to me it doesn't matter what room you pick the view is great all o...
8  Thank nibrina007
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My best friend Rhonda and I visited the Sunset Beach Resort, arriving on 10-24-13. We departed on 10-27-13. From the time we set foot on the resort grounds, we were greeted and treated warmly and wonderfully. Coswine (hope that's right) met us at the taxi, took our bags and brought us a cool, tropical drink. Monique-Gail checked us in with the warmest greeting and smile that anyone could ask for. I felt the welcome mat roll right to our feet when we started dealing with her. Then, Rosie helped us with the events/tours we wanted to do. She was friendly, and very knowledgeable regarding all of the tours/events, ensuring that we had the best deal for our money. Once we got our room assignment, we were escorted to our room by Fabian, who was a gentleman, and assisted us more by making sure we had ice for our room. The food that we had was great. The pool bar was entertaining, thanks to Rodney and another gentleman (I don't remember his name). The beds were nice and comfy....and the view from our Oceanside room was breathtaking.

This was my first time in Jamaica...and I am so glad that my first experience was this good. Even the workers that we did not have any immediate interaction with were cordial, gracious, and willing to assist in any way they could. All of the restaurants were great, and the servers were awesome. If there was one critique that I would make, it would be to include refrigerators in the rooms, and maybe have ice makers on alternating floors.

Because of the experience I had at the Sunset Beach Resort, I would definitely come back to Jamaica, and I would definitely visit this resort again!!!!

3  Thank Lorraine M
Reviewed October 27, 2013

VERY LENGTHY THOROUGH REVIEW... but i was so excited when i got home I had to write this review as I reminisced

Ok First off Let me say to everyone that took all the time to post the lovely pictures of all the chipped paint, broken grates and missing tiles... GET A LIFE. Are you on vacation or are you the building inspector?

Now that I got that out of the way. I will get to my review.

Also I would like all to know that this is the first All Inclusive resort I have ever been to so i have no preconceived notions as of what to expect other than what I have read here on Tripadvisor. I was a little leery about this hotel after reading through some of the reviews. I finally decided that I would give SSBR a try.

We stayed from October 11, 2013 through October 18 2013. Landed Friday Evening at 8pm and left Friday at Noon.

The resort Grounds

The grounds were very well maintained. All the grassy areas were kept neatly trimmed. The walkways through the resort were kept extremely clean... as in we saw them mopping the walkways every morning and some evenings. The plants were kept trimmed and out the way of walk ways. My only gripe on the grounds is I was slipping and sliding everywhere (and I think it was just me as my wife had no issues)
The pools were kept as clean as could be expected for the amount of foliage that is about. What I find funny is that the ocean was actually warmer and more clear than the resort pools.

As other people have posted the beach is pretty rocky and kinda hurts to walk in without water shoes. And the water is pretty much completely covered by Sea Grass. I happened to like snorkling through the seagrass so this was not a problem for me, but if you are wanting to wade out into clean sand this might be an issue for you.

The entertainment was fairly amateurish and seemed very forced.. There were guest talent shows and karaoke. The circus/magic was very 1980's with one guy doing some trapeze tricks, a juggler, who also did some fire tricks. The magician was pretty lame doing ring tricks and making a ball/coin appear and disappear. But Hey with enough free flowing drinks it was entertaining.

The Rooms

We stayed in W234 which is the ocean View Beach inn building. Our View was AMAZING. Looking directly out onto the ocean with the gazebo directly centered in our balcony. We got many postcard quality pictures from the balcony. Two complaints about the rooms were the firmness (READ HARDNESS) of the beds and the subpar Air Conditioning during the day. The beds were akin to putting sheets over a slab of marble. I am a pillowtop memory foam mattress sort of person and these beds were as far from this as you could get. The A/C was kept at 72degrees the whole time we were at the resort. The room only reached this temperature after 2am. When going back to the room between noon and 5pm the room was about 79degrees. It seems the only thing the AC did was keep the humidity down. The water pressure was decent, but the Hot/cold water fluctuations during peak showering times (in the morning and right before dinner) could be kind of annoying.

Restaurants/Food
We ate at every included restaurant at the resort.

The Banana Walk Buffet was pretty good. I wouldn't say excellent but it is on par with some of the better buffet food. Don't expect a Vegas style buffet. We are bordering on golden corral style here with a few standouts.

For Breakfast
I must recommend the omelet bar, and it isn't just omelet's either. I had 1 omelet the whole week, but Delano cooks a perfect over medium fried egg... I hate white egg snot but want a runny yolk SPOT ON. He also made my wife sunny *GAG* side up eggs one morning, which she said were really good. Everyday you have the option of scrambled eggs, sausage, ground provision (steamed potatoes), Potatoes O'Brian, french Toast, pancakes and Usually some kind of fish dish and somesort of vegetable. There is also a variety of fresh fruit every day. Also there is a breakfast bread bar with such items as banana bread (awesome) croissants, muffins, and Danish.

For Lunch
We did not do Lunch very often at the resort as we were off on our tours most of the time. The few times we did visit they had such items as grilled pork chops, jerk chicken, grilled cheese sandwiches, some sort of fish, and French fries. A cold cut bar with meats and cheeses. Again we did not eat lunch very often so the review here is lacking.

Dinner
Must must Must try the pasta bar. I was pretty impressed. You get to choose your weapon so to speak. First Choose your meat(s). Bacon, Chicken, Sausage, Imitation Crab meat, Then choose your veg. onion, green onion, green peppers, zucchini/yellow squash, diced tomatoes. Choose your Spice. Fresh garlic, dried Italian herbs, and finely chopped ***HOT***peppers. Above choices added to pan to precook You then Choose either a white sauce or Red Sauce. and your pasta. usually a spaghetti and some sort of cut type (penne or rotini). Then Like all my pasta i heavily adorn with Parmesan cheese. Every day there was some sort of new protein on the bar from stewed beef to curried mutton, then staples such as mashed potatoes and rice. there are also prepared pastas and usually some grilled protein..chicken,pork, lamb, always a salad bar and cold prepared salads. The biggest Negative of the buffet is the Mediocre at best desserts. What I have learned is that Jamaican's do not eat very sweet items. The Fruit is generally the sweetest thing that Jamaicans eat. So the desserts were pretty lacking.

Al A Carte restaurants- we were told you could only visit each restaurant 1 time per week you were there... didn't try to verify that as we only had 3 nights free fro dinner anyways.
Silk Road - asian 3 stars
You get to choose from 5 courses. appetizer, soup, salad, entree an dessert. We had the Sushi and the Beef Muffin. Neither were really anything to write home about. For soups my wife chose the chicken and corn soup(doesn't really ring asian to me) and I got the Hot and Sour. Hers was a fairly decent soup.. The Hot and Sour was neither Hot nor Sour to me... and as a surprise it was fish stock based kinda different. We opted out of the salad choice. Entree time-- I got mandarin beef and DW got sweet and Sour Chicken. Again they rated about par with a decent take out asian place. Our Dessert choices were cheesecake and coconut pudding. The Cheesecake was different than what I was accustomed to. very rubbery like they used gelatin to firm it up and very plain. The coconut pudding was actually pretty tasty.

La Bella Vida (Italian)
Not very memorable.... I can't recall what we had for an appetiser, the salad Course we choose Caprese Salad and The squid Risotto. Caprese salad was nothing to boast about. But the Squid Risotto was actually pretty darn good. For Entrees We had A beef Tenderloin wrapped in Bacon, and The Cheese Lasagna. The Bacon wrapped tenderloin was pretty blah, and the Lasagna was suprisingly very good.. Extremely Cheesy. The deserts again were not very memorable. subpar Tiramisu and pretty nasty Creme Brulee.

Byron's (caribbean)
This is the restaurant I had the highest hopes for... But it was just OK. I did manage to have the spiciest bite of anything I had the whole trip and it was a pork tail soup... watch out for the green pepper in there it is MEAN. The seafood cakes were pretty good as well. As for the entrees... Honestly I can't remember what we even had.

All in all I don't know if I would go out of my way to book the al a carte restaurants. The Buffet was just as good with a decent variety.

In closing I would/Will return to SunSet Beach Resort in the future as it is a great deal for the Price. Please give them a try and do not way to heavy on the negative reviews. Your vacation is what you make of it.. Don't rely on somebody else to make you have fun. Make it yourself and you will be fine.

Room Tip: Beach inn was FAR from most things. but I found them very quiet.
9  Thank john w
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our room was clean, comfortable and what we expected a hotel should be. The food in the buffet was generally good. We went to all three specialty restaurants and highly recommend the Italian one. Food was excellent there and the service was top notch. My husband and I had a couples massage which was very relaxing. Thank you to Sharon in the Spa for making that experience so nice that we would do it over and over again. There was no problems with the water during our stay however there were problems with the elevators for building A. It was apparent that the hotel was trying to fix them but it was slightly annoying to have to walk up to the 6th floor the one nite when both elevators were down. Thank you to all of the staff for making our stay great. We will definitely come back.

6  Thank StoonElaine
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The location is breathtaking! Very beautiful. But the resort is big and very impersonal. The room was like a typical hotel room. They don't provide conditioner, and laughed at us when we asked for it. They also don't provide lotion. I feel like both of these are basic amenities. The grounds needs more attention, it's not horrible but not really well kept. And a lot of the staff was rude! We will not return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Natalie B, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear Haley C.,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate that you have endorsed the fact that we do have a beautiful location with breathtaking views.

In response to your comments about our staff being rude and laughing when asked a question, we are truly surprised that this would be your perception because we do take pride in extending the best in “small hotel” attention with staff that have been consistently recognized as being warm and friendly.

Our landscaping team is a diligent and hardworking group who, at this time when the elements dictate, their efforts may not be appropriately reflected.

We wish that we would have had the opportunity to address these issues with you prior to your leaving the resort but we will continue to do all that we can to ensure the best vacation experience for all our guests.

While we may not have the pleasure of again hosting you at Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterpark we do hope that Jamaica will again have the honour and pleasure of your patronage!

Always at your service,