“Loved the ocean”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I enjoyed my stay, I went solo as a girl for 8 days. Got right into my room and found there was no mini bar with water bottles. (bummer) climbed into bed and the bed was hard and no comforter! Just a sheet, thin blanket, sheet. Whatever. The breakfast was good, I ate the French toast everyday though. I loves the Asian restaurant, the Italian..not so much. I've had better lasagna. I recommend the spring rolls at the Asian place! So good! I enjoyed the beaches, so beautiful! I loves how you could take a chair and lay in the ocean. I spent most my time on the beach instead of the pool. The daily activities are more for children I feel like and they are the same pretty much daily. I got bored a few times. The nightly entertainment was mostly singing....enjoyable but could use more variety. Overall liked my stay and the staff is great. I was a but disappointed they didn't let you take food on the beach or around the pools or have pool side service. You can't be wet to get a drink at the bar in the auditorium area.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Brooke P
There are newer reviews for Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at the Sunset Resort over the July 4th weekend. Although we had a great time I must admit that after taking connecting flights (thanks Expedia >:-/) to MoBay I was a little frustrated that we had to wait about 45 minutes until our room was ready. We were extremely fatigued so we needed to just take a nap.
Once we arrived to our room (Sunset Tower A room A514) we were a little put off by the condition of the furniture. The lamp shades appeared old and rusty. Shower curtain was ripped and there appeared to be rips and cigarette burns on the balcony curtain as well, air conditioning unit was not working to full capacity but it cooled me enough. No fridge and no ice machine or beverage machine on the premises. You have to go down to the lobby bar to get ice. Kind of an inconvenience. We weren't expecting grand luxury but we didn't expect this either. In any case the beds (full size) and pillows were very comfortable and our view was really breathtaking. Good job, Sunset!
I enjoyed the pool very much although I'm not sure if they clean it out throughout the day as sometimes I'd find dead bugs and other particles floating around in there. My biggest complaint about the pool area is that too many kids play in there and I honestly thought the lazy river and water park areas were designated for them. Yet it seemed they all came to the main pool area instead. Beach is very pretty and relaxing but shoreline is very limited so no long romantic walks for you lovebirds. Bring water shoes as the little pebbles under water can hurt your feet. Food selection at the Banana Walk buffet was satisfactory. Cups are the size of sippy cups so you've been warned. I do remember one night they served curry pork with pineapple and that was REALLY good!!!!
The resort offers shuttle buses that take you to clubs if you are in the mood for a little Jamaican night life. My friend and I went to Margaritaville. Interesting experience to say the least. They also take you to another club that I heard good things about called Pier 1 and it's right on the water. Didn't get a chance to go there, though. Overall my experience at Sunset was a positive one. Staff was very friendly, always smiling and helpful. I do miss the ambience of the resort and how relaxed and happy people were. And I certainly miss the view from my hotel balcony. It beats the view I currently have from my apartment any day!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank EvilSugar6274
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had my family trip here over the July 4th holiday. Party of 6, all adult wanted to spend a relaxing weekend under the sun, ended up not getting too much of a quality from this resort.

I did the online check in as well as contacted the hotel via email prior to my arrival to make dinner reservation as recommended. The online check in did not speed up any of the check in process as the same form I completed on line at the hotel web site was given to me AGAIN upon check in. When I asked, the staff responded that because the form contains sensitive information. Well that is really not true, because it is the SAME form, but I didn’t feel like arguing with her to ruin my vacation that way. The emailing back and forth with the hotel guest service staff was unless as well. The “so-called” confirmation email from them to confirm my dinner reservations were changed without informing me. I discovered that the restaurant and dinner time were changed without my agreement when I went to retrieve my voucher. When I questioned, the staff first did deny it is an error, then after I showed him my conformation email he told me because the restaurant closes on the days I requested so he rearranged it for me. Well then what is the confirmation email for? And thanks for not letting me know that my reservations were re-arranged!

Worst yet, after dined in all of the restaurants (there were only three anyways), none of the restaurants offer great food that is worth my trouble to pre-book or even make reservation for. In addition, I found the restaurants were not packed at all (they only have seating at 6pm and 8pm). Because they only offer seating at 6 and 8, those time when guests arrived we will have to wait in line to be seated because they were short staff to handle the burst of guests who showed up all at the same time as instructed. I have no idea the purpose of making reservations and the restricted seating time. It just added more trouble to the guest. I never expected much from a buffet, as predicted the venue where the buffet is offered cafeteria quality food. Consider it is a buffet it did not have a lot of choices neither. What I don’t like the most about is the cleanliness at the buffet area. Because the seating area and the buffet area are both under semi open spaces, my meals were accompanied by lots of flies and mosquitos. O did I also mention of the cats? I know about the cat by reading reviews but didn’t expect that to be as bothersome as it did. There are a few cats that strolled around the buffet dining area. Even tho I don’t hate cats, I didn’t like the idea the cats were around looking for food, kids were playing with them which is odd as a resort.

Each day there is a drink special where every bar offers (is pre-mix anyways), however as an all-inclusive resort, they offer very small verities in cocktail drinks. For example I asked for a mojito, no bar is able to make me one, then one time I asked for a cosmo the bartender had to ask another bartender because he doesn’t know how to make one.

The catering service is not a pleasant neither. I understand work is work, but if you are working in a hospitality industry, you better put on a simile right? Most of the catering staff there I encounter don’t simile, and some even have an attitude, I did not enjoy that a bit. However I do feel bad for the night (on Sat night) where chefs were grilling pork jerks and chicken outdoor under the hot weather by the grill. I do applause them! I requested to stay at Tower A after reading some of the reviewer comments from tripadvisor thinking that is the quietest room. Well to my surprise, I could still hear loud and clear the band played at night. I thought the resort had renovated the tower rooms not long ago, but the rooms were still pretty beat up, things are broken etc. When I spoke with my shuttle driver, he told me that this hotel is the oldest in town, I suppose that explains why everything is broken in the facility.

Resort price is slightly cheap then some of the other resorts in the area, but I would rather pay the couple hundred more to get a descent resort for my vacation next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank HelloKitty_KT
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My first family trip to Jamaica was to go there to celebrate my daughter's birthday. It was always her wish to go and visit her idol, Bob Marley, museum's, birth place and his final resting place. I found Sunset Beach Resort Spa and Water Park with all the great reviews and decided to go there. We all were really satisfied with everything at the resort. From the time we arrived there to when we checked out. It was remarkably a great resort. The food, the services by everyone, the facilities, the shows, the ambience, the beach, the rooms, the washrooms, the whole resort itself is truly amazing. We have no regrets and would go back right there next time. We loved it. Everyone was kind, polite, helpful and always asked if everything is fine. My daughter even got a big personalized birthday cake from our WestJet Rep while we were having the birthday dinner.The waiter even made her a flower with napkins and they sang Happy Birthday. Everything was so organized, even the tours.
My only little complaint is that the beach shouldn't have any weeds in it. The water should be cleaned out since you could expect creatures living in it. It's not the resort's fault but I think it could be cleaned out by the Jamaica Tourist Board. I saw a little girl in the water who was saying that something stung her . Apart from that, we loved everything.

Room Tip: We were in Tower A on the 5th floor and the rooms were all great.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Marion034
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I'm shocked to see the negative reports about the this resort. The property was immaculate, staff was friendly and went out of their way to make us happy, and there was enough space to keep everyone from being on top of one another.

Food was great at the buffet and the a la carte restraints.

The only negative thing I can say is that our beach towel from home fell over the railing and although we watched a staff member collect it it never turned up at the front desk.

I would return to Sunset Beach in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Alon M
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The overall ambiance of Sunset Resort is really very nice, with the staff always giving 100% service. The food was also a 100%, with a great selection, suiting what ever you fancied. The Location is excellent, so again top marks!

In short 100% all round!!

We would also like to give a special mention to Belinda who took such good care of us on the 3rd floor, A tower, room 314- Mr & Mrs Cawley would like to thank you again!

Sunset Resort is nothing short of a 5 star service, all that's missing is room service

The entertainment and activities are second to none, never a dull moment! and checking out the leisure and tourism desk is a must!

A few more must see's:
The health spa
Hairdressers
Gym

Cant wait to come back for a visit so get room 314 ready for us!

Lots of love and big up!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for what you want as Sunset Resort staff members are very accomidating
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cynthia C
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We spent the earlier part of the week in a villa since we were travelling with a large group, and then were lucky to spend a few days at Sunset Beach Montego Bay prior to flying home. I am so glad we did. The resort was at 90% capacity, yet you never felt crowded or rushed. The vibe was at once lively, intimate, and comprehensive. Activities were absolutely convenient but not offensive. Music was pumping by the pool, but you could hear yourself talk. Children were welcome everywhere. I was impressed. This little engine can and does.

We arrived at 12 PM. We were greeted immediately upon arrival to the main lobby with fruit punch and we were told where and how we would check in. Our wait in line was less than 5 minutes. We were “banded” and brought to our room. Everyone was extremely polite and helpful. The lobby itself was dreamy and breezy, with a view of the ocean. It is the main throughway, but didn’t feel like it. There is so much cozy seating that several groups could be there. Some were waiting for transportation to the airport or adventures off resort, checking email, having a drink. The interior design is key in creating little spaces in the larger expansive space. It was not cluttered, but homey with precision.

Our room was W116, one of the coveted bunk bed rooms. Our children ages 4 and 2 were extremely impressed, and if not for the water park outside our door, we would have stayed in the room! The air condition worked well. The bathroom was functional and water pressure was great. We didn’t spend much time there except to sleep, but the room and patio were moderately-sized, very clean, and appropriate for its use.

The water park was spotless, fun, and like most things at this resort—entirely manageable. The lounge chairs were in close proximity to the water and were always available when we were there. We were able to get an umbrella chair when the pool opened. The kids were able to spend time at the toddler water park as well with its own slide and wading pool. This toddler area was part of the kids club and very protected. There was constant cleaning and upkeep being done around the well-used but not worn resort.

Breakfast at the buffet was typical of all-inclusive resorts, with a great combination of American stand-bys and Jamaican traditions. The waitress brought coffee immediately upon us sitting down. We ate lunch at the buffet as well, and the kids were satisfied by welcome staples like noodles and pizza, while the adults enjoyed regional favorites. We were able to make reservations for specialty dining the night we arrived despite the resort being at 90% capacity. The welcome reception was a treat. You could tell the staff were committed to creating a wonderful vacation for the guests. I could also tell they really liked working with one another! This was fun to see, and guests wanted in on the enthusiasm. It was really special to have a sampling of native fruits. Despite being at a villa for the week prior, the kids had never tried guinep—the staff kindly taught them how to eat it. Sunset Beach caters to families, and welcomes you into their family.

The gardens were impeccable. We spent time on our patio as the kids napped and the scene was wonderful. We walked the beach after dinner and saw the sunset from a little peninsula that juts out into the bay. The water was calm so water sports were in good use by the guests. We spent the first part of the week a little further up Montego Bay, not as protected. The water was rougher and water activities were not as easily managed by small children as they could be at Sunset Beach.

The last morning, I went to the spa for a wash and blow-dry prior to leaving. My stylist was skilled and quick. The spa mirrors the resort. You could tell it was well-managed, and that staff were invested in the experience of the guests. I have never had so nice a scalp massage!

I was constantly impressed by Sunset Beach during my time there. Our kids talk about it as one of the highlights of the week. Sunset Beach caters to families. There is really no other place to go in Montego Bay for families with children, especially under age 10. I highly recommend it.

My suggestions for Sunset Beach
1) Charge more for the bunk bed rooms. When we were enjoying our patio, a little girl and her mother walked by. We overheard her asking her mother why they didn’t have bunk beds, and her mother said, “There weren’t any more of those rooms left”. Most families have at least 2 children. Bunk beds in a room would be preferred to a suite in most cases. We have travelled widely and would pay more for this option.
2) Open the pools earlier. We would have hit the pools at 7 if we could. Families with small children often don’t sleep in even on vacation. Many families also try to avoid the “high sun” times of 10-2. The pool should be open earlier.
3) Cater to large groups. Many families travelling together do so for reunions or large celebrations. We chose the villa option for vacationing to serve our large group. However, cruises cater to large groups by having many activities and options for eating together. Sunset Beach could do this as well.

Room Tip: With kids, chose the W rooms off the water park, and consider the bunk bed rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!